Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Ace: Fr. Z, Could you explain the last comment you made in your original post? I deeply want to understand how lay people have strong influence. I can’ t wrap my head around it. Without...
- mibethda: There is more than one way to skin a cat, and, for the enemies of the traditiona l liturgy and Summorum Pontificum , there is more than one strategy to accomplish their goal. To mix...
- FrAnt: Fr. Z, You responded above saying, “These are different times.” Yes, there is the internet, but conservati ves are being blocked and accounts are being shutdown with no reason given. What...
- Chaswjd: As always, Yes Minister hit the nail on the head thirty years ago: https://yo utu.be/-nr ZBtKWSfs
- OssaSola: I’ll put this link here for the class I mentioned above: http://www .academyof classicall anguages.c om/
- jaykay: “and criticizin g the cruel and anti-scien ce stance of the Vatican, 8221; Fr. Lemaitre begins to revolve in his grave. Fra Bacon and Canon Copernicus were unavailabl e for comment.
- OssaSola: I’d like to mention the Latin Class I take live online for adults. It is taught by a professor at the FSSP Seminary in Denton, Nebraska two evenings per week. He uses the Orberg...
- jaykay: leftycbd: “The 3rd year, we read Cicero. 221; That is pretty good! We started Latin (compulsor y, then) at age barely 11, but 4 years later we were just starting Cicero (it was all...
- Gaetano: The message is clear. Personnel is policy, and this is the man chose above all others.
- teachermom24: I am a simple layperson who loves the Church and has been horrified, as so many have, by all that has transpired and continues to unfold. Just last week, I returned from a three week...
- Fuerza: That’s the Lingua Latina series.
- pbnelson: Robert_Car itas says: 16 November 2018 at 12:44 AM …The parts of Trent which were pastoral – like setting up seminaries – most definitely had authority, and actually often contai...
- Ave Maria: ” I do not believe anyone serving Pope Francis would come to our aid.” ; Yes, I believe this is so. Sadly.
- leftycbd: I was blessed to take 3 years of Latin in High School in the 1980s. The books were about Julius and Amelia in Rome, who, after the second book, were converting to Christiani ty. The 3rd...
- Fuerza: Padredana Do an internet search for little Latin readers. It’s a product designed specifical ly to teach Latin to Catholics and, while designed for children and teens, can also be useful...
- Benedict Joseph: How much more evidence need be produced to eliminate any doubt that we endure a pontificat e outside the parameters of the perennial Magisteriu m?
- FrAnt: There’s an effort to change doctrine, why think it not possible for Rome to do as the person says. I often think that at any moment Francis will overturn SP and not look back.
- Egad_Trad_Dad: St. John Vianney did some initial studies with the parish priest in Ecully, where he was also grouped with children. One tutored him, but at a certain point became frustrated with...
- Kate: I live in a diocese in which the bishop would shut down the TLM if he could. In fact, he consulted a canon lawyer about how to do it, and the canon lawyer told him that legally speaking, he...
- rdtobias: Just want to point out that Sankt Georgen is not a High School in the sense of an academic institutio n teaching young people for four years after grade school, but is more lika a private...
- ddhue: I agree about Memoria Press, it is a great program. We have used many programs over the years as both my husband (very gifted in languages, knows Persian, Arabic, Greek, Latin, Russian...
- Deo Credo: There was a brand new Spanish Jesuit at SLU that used to come to St Francis de Sales and offer the Latin Mass. They transferre d him out fairly quickly once they found out he believed in...
- Gab: @PMK I find it a little easier to learn the prayers in Latin by singing them. There are loads of youtube videos with prayers sung in Latin with the words in Latin on screen. I am also start...
- fmsb78: There is a little joke on internet that goes like this: “How do we know that not all jesuits are heretics? Because Fr. Mitch Pacwa is still alive.R 21;
- HvonBlumenthal: On another thread I suggested that anyone who has Latin could offer classes to any parishione rs who are interested . Ive been doing this for a year. I have three pupils (1 adult)....
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- More Jesuit antics in that ‘caput malorum omnium’ the Church in Germany
- Latin-less Priests and Homeschoolers
- ASK FATHER: Could Latin be suppressed? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants
- A solid “state of the question” VIDEO about The Present Crisis
- In how many ways is this creepy?
- HEADS WILL ROLL! A new “You won’t believe your eyes ugly” altar
- Why homosexualists hate Papa Ratzinger so much.
- My View For Awhile: Delayed Edition & Fr. Z’s Kitchen
- Solipsistic, self-aggrandizing @FatherRosica dares to vet Catholic news sources
- ASK FATHER: “I am doubting that the current Catholic Church is the Church it has always claimed to be”
- Strange Signs, the End Times and YOU
- A reader’s first impressions on attending the Extraordinary Form
- Horrifying Big Business Abortion Ad
- US Bishop begin 2018 November meeting: PRAY & FAST!
- Another really bad idea: Communion Pills
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – UPDATED
- Another group of women destroyed by the Vatican Congregation for Religious
- 100th Armistice Day, Veterans Day, Remembrance Day ACTION ITEM!
- @JamesMartinSJ shovels scandalous rubbish to justify sin
- WDTPRS – 32nd Ordinary Sunday: Our Identity and Extreme Ownership
- GERMANY: Catastrophic! USA next? @USCCB bishops meeting and YOU. ACTION ITEM!
- To US Bishops before their @USCCB meeting: Do not be afraid!
- Happy 243rd Birthday USMC!
- ASK FATHER: Some say Advent is not a penitential season.
- FEEDBACK: “I went to confession for the first time in nine years tonight.”
- Blog milestone: 90 Million
- ASK FATHER: If I am in the state of mortal sin, is there any point in praying?
- SCOTUS Justice RBG falls, breaks ribs, hospitalized
- “I had the image of a bishop sinking head downward…. sinking… sinking… clawing at the heavy miter on his head”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 28 February 2013
I am sure an official translation will come out soon, if not already, but I wanted to savor the last official words of Pope Benedict XVI. I did my own, below. The last off-the-cuff remarks at the window at Castel … Continue reading
We are now in the state of the Catholic Church called “sede vacante“… describing the fact that the See (of Rome) is empty. The Latin “sede vacante” is ablative, describing existing circumstances in a larger context. Otherwise we refer to … Continue reading
The Holy Father is leaving the Apostolic Palace to go to Castel Gandolfo.
Our final view of Pope Benedict XVI as Roman Pontiff.
UPDATE: The doors are closed.
Bp. Vasa (D. Santa Rosa) under fire for requiring Catholic school teachers to live according to the Faith
The Santa Rosa Press Democrat has an interseting story about an initiative in the local Diocese of Santa Rosa where Most Rev. Robert Vasa is bishop.
It occurred to me as I read this that people who make a push for … Continue reading
From a reader in the combox under another entry:
I propose that for Benedict’s new coat of arms, he should keep the keys but remove the mitre and pallium, replacing them with a white galero with 21 tassels.
I have not heard … Continue reading