HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Beltway Catholic: Those are terrible sins that indeed cry out to heaven for vengeance. But there is more ordinary evil that we overlook. Unforgiven ess will be met with condemnati on (Mt 6:15;...
- Geoffrey: I remember Supertradm um. You are in my prayers. Memorare 8230;
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Just when I was beginning to think there might be at least ONE man-made structure in West Virginia NOT named after Robert Byrd… ;.
- veritas vincit: I’m a Northerner , but I was exposed to grits in Army chow halls when I served. They were never a big deal to learn to appreciate . They do have to not clump up. I have then...
- johnnys: @beltway catholic 8230;..now do abortion, adultery, same sex marriage, sins of the flesh̷ 0;..ya know, being that Our Lady said ‘mor e souls go to hell because of the sins of...
- Midwest St. Michael: Dearest Marie, I have been praying for you every day at work through the intercessi on of St. Peregrine. It grieves me to hear of this news. :^( I am off work tomorrow and I...
- Semper Gumby: Well done hilltop. Biblical Archaeolog y Review has a Test Kitchen (no, really), its motto: “Eat Like The Ancients.& #8221; The closest thing to grits on the BAR website seems...
- Therese: May God bless you! Remember us, pray for us, when your journey is done. We shall certainly pray for you, Marie.
- Mike: Hilltop is correct. I married a Southerner , so this did not come naturally, Fr Z. I suggest when the opportunit y presents, Shrimp and Grits. The morning hour isn’t made for such fare, in my...
- PostCatholic: SuperTradM om has a keen mind and a generous spirit. I enjoyed debating with her here and I’m sorry to hear about her predicamen t. I hope for the best possible outcome, whate...
- hilltop: Also, those grits pictured even LOOK bad. They’re too sticky, and the butter (oh the humanity!) has not melted well (is that margarine? ) and they also appear clumpy. They’re probably “...
- hilltop: Dee-ah Fotha, May ah suh-jest y’all do way with the buttah on you-ar grits? Fah too common. Ah am person-uh- lee partial to a teaspoon of pu-uh cane sugah on mah grits. And pu-haps two...
- Kathleen10: Supertradm um, I am typing this through tears, it is pretty incredible how having never met, yet we can make friends in such a situation as commenting in a combox. My heart is heavy to...
- Diane: Supertradm um my thoughts and prayers are with you in these difficult days. May you be filled with peace and know God’ s loving glance as you deal with these tough times. God Bless you...
- SuperTrad: I will definitely pray for you and for your son, Supertradm um. May God reward you and keep you close to his heart for all eternity.
- ex seaxe: Checking where grits are available in London (UK), I stumble across the comment that grits and polenta are very similar. Same material – cornmeal – but polenta is coaser...
- robtbrown: Fr Z says, Frankly, the complete Summa is only $320 . . . Do you mean Opera Omnia?
- Andreas: Dear Supertradm um; We are most grieved to learn of your failing health. But be comforted in that you are surrounded by so many here, some from so very far away, whom you have never met,...
- NBW: SuperTradm um, I am praying for you and your son. Thank you for all the wonderful things you have written. You have helped so many of us!
- gretta: Grits – mix the butter in there, make sure that there is enough salt to make it yummy, and for the love of all that is holy, do NOT put sugar on grits. ;)
- gretta: Will be praying for you. God Bless, STM.
- DavidJ: Supertradm um, You’ ll absolutely be in my prayers. Knowing you since back in the Onerock days, I’ve always appreciate d your take on things. You and your family will certai...
- brasscow: For us northerner s eating grits = being dished up humility.
- Semper Gumby: Thanks for these posts from the Conference Fr. Z. acardnal: Good point about Dr. Bergsma, which reminds me he has a book out in September on Jesus and the Dead Sea Scrolls. Here is a...
- Fr. Pius, OP: Grits and fried chicken livers. Now, that’ ;s breakfast.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Day 2 – St. Paul Center Priesthood Conference
- 17 July 1794: “Mother, permission to die?”
- URGENT ACTION ITEM: Note from long-time reader who is dying
- 16 July 1969 – #Apollo11 and Our Lady of Mt Carmel
- Day 1 – St. Paul Center Priesthood Conference
- Mark Shea is sad because seminarians are Catholic
- Amazon Prime Day Discounts
- My View For Awhile: To the East and to priests
- Good VIDEO for people who aren’t familiar with the TLM or with our traditions
- ASK FATHER: Sex before Communion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – GO TO CONFESSION! – VIDEO
- 13 July: St. Ezra (Esdras), Old Testament Prophet and some spectacular baroque musical weirdness
- SSPX video of their amazing new US church project.
- BOOK: In Praise of the Tridentine Mass and of Latin, Language of the Church
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: Too far right or too far left, we wind up in the ditch in the dark
- “Damn!”, quoth I. “That’s the spirit.” Coasties getting the job done.
- How credible is “credible” in allegations against priests?
- Tour Talk – #TDF2019 @Le_Tour Stage 6
- What the ‘c’atholic Left is up to on Twitter
- ASK FATHER: Should Catholic parents attend wedding of daughter outside the Church?
- ASK FATHER: “Funeral Liturgy Outside Mass”
- @Church_Militant on the public lynching of Fr. Eduard Perrone
- Really old frozen permafrost critters revived. What could possibly go wrong?
- Tour Talk – 2019 Tour de France
- The Church Militant and You
- William F. Buckley and Fulton Sheen on Firing Line! 1970
- BOOK: The Anti-Mary Exposed: Rescuing the Culture from Toxic Femininity
- ACTION ITEM! Help a traditional deacon get to priesthood. Watch marvelous Fulton Sheen video of 1950 Roman Holy Year
- 07/07/07 – 12th Anniversary of Summorum Pontificum – Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Monthly Archives: June 2013
Was there a good point in the Sunday sermon you heard? A good point? Share it.
A priest friend sent this. I share it for your … edification. One of the first things I thought of as I watched that is that the same crowd who like this stuff are the one’s who say that lace … Continue reading
Someone sent me a photo of a 1913 Ford. To put our changes over the last 100 or so years, some stats were included. Consider: The year is 1910, over one hundred years ago. What a difference a century makes! … Continue reading
From a reader: When I was in grade school (1990’s), I was taught by a very devout teacher that one should genuflect (kneel?) on both knees with a slight bow of the head when entering/leaving the pew during adoration of … Continue reading
The First Gay President didn’t have his way with the President of Senegal: Sanctimonious Obama rebuffed by African president on gay rights President Obama got off to an awkward start in Africa where he urged tolerance and equal rights for … Continue reading
Question… rather.. quaeritur: If a Catholic chooses to work in politics and help with a campaign for a candidate, should the aforementioned Catholic try to ascertain beforehand the candidates positions? Just asking. From LifeSite: WASHINGTON, D.C., June 28, 2013 (LifeSiteNews.com) … Continue reading
I saw this juxtaposition of quotes about the Supreme Court’s DOMA decision at Pundit and Pundette: Pres. Barack Obama: On an issue as sensitive as this, knowing that Americans hold a wide range of views based on deeply held beliefs, … Continue reading
From the WaPo comes some promotion of the Jesuit mystique. Here is a great example of how the MSM promotes liberal Catholics as the cool kid’s table. America Magazine is seemingly going to eschew the “liberal” and “conservative” dichotomy, rise … Continue reading
We have always known it would be this way, of course. From CNA: Obama’s Final Word: Catholics Must Buy/Provide Coverage for Abortion Drugs (CNSNews.com) – The Department of Health and Human Services today released the final text of the final … Continue reading
A friend send this very cool link to these very cool sisters. Meet the Sisters of Reparation to the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus. First, I love the idea that there is a fairly new foundation interested in reparation for … Continue reading
I had a bit of a rest from posting a lot. The conference I attended was intense and I have been tired. I have a zillion emails in my inbox and I doubt I will be able to read them … Continue reading
My usual Roman bar breakfast. The days begins. We are about to have a talk by Msgr. Newton of the Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham, for former Anglicans. He is reading a paper for Msgr. Andrew Burnham. Newton is … Continue reading
There is an especially awful story about clergy in Rome circulating right now. Once upon a time, I was walking under the colonnade of St. Peter’s Square with an especially well-placed curial official, nay rather, institution. I asked him if … Continue reading
Someone sent me a PDF of a parish bulletin for St. Patrick’s Church in Madison, WI dated 7 Feb 1965. On the front page there is this poem. Latin’s gone, peace is too; singin’ and shoutin’ from every pew. Altar’s … Continue reading
I saw this on CNA: Cardinal bars dissident priest from speaking on Archdiocesan property Boston, Mass., Jun 27, 2013 / 02:01 am (CNA/EWTN News).- The Archdiocese of Boston verified that an Austrian priest will not be allowed to speak on … Continue reading