Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Eoin OBolguidhir: No one should be surprised. My offering from March: “Don ’t be naïve. It will not be quick. The PROCESS is the PUNISHMENT . Guilty or innocent’s got nothing to do with it....
- bobbird: A tough call … I have been tempted to embarrass bishops by picketing the chancery. We have done it at “Cat holic̶ 1; hospitals that violate medical ethics too numerous to...
- fuquaysteve: I am confused 8230;I thought mercy was at the core of the heirarchy of the Church.
- anna 6: Why is there no mention in this letter that the priest has been exonerated ? If I recieved this letter I would have assumed that he was found guilty based on the decision of the archbishop .
- Paliakas1: There was no media at the 7:30 mass. Father Thelander said mass. During announceme nts all that was said was to note the letter that was included in the bulletin. As a long time parish...
- TonyO: Sorry, meant to say “the Church is not a democracy, anywayR 21;. Got my nouns mixed.
- TonyO: Don’ t know that anything I have to say is original – so many of the comments above are quite correct. We should pray for McCarrick, his soul is in danger. But we (the Church)...
- Amerikaner: Can he file with a canon lawyer to eventually undo the Cardinal 8217;s position?
- Gregg the Obscure: “Ble ssed are they that suffer persecutio n for justice 217; sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and...
- Dismas: A psalm comes to mind – “Sup er flumina Babylonis illic sedimus et flevimus, cum recordarem ur Sion… ;” I remember how it ends too. Queuing Palestrina .
- Kathleen10: This is an outrage, and an obvious political hit. The minions are no longer concealing their animus cautiously , they make it crystal clear. And why not, they have acted with impuni...
- Caesar: I had the good fortune to be able to attend a conference last October put on by the Catholic Art Guild and hosted by Fr Phillips and St John Cantius. During his speech following the dinner...
- Ave Maria: This is a time of crisis in the Church, long planned. And so it is a time of trial. We recall that SAINT Padre Pio was removed from public ministry for about 10 years and I don’ t...
- Chris Garton-Zavesky: There is, evidently, a shortage of priestless parishes?
- Mike: That “rec eiving support 221; in the letter has me scratching my head a bit. It would not, however, seem to diminish the Cardinal 8217;s responsibi lity explicitly to restore Fr....
- rwj: There should really be clarificat ion from the Archbishop as to his reasons. Could it be that he did not break any canon or civil laws, but has done something else immoral or unsavory? Perhaps...
- Gil Garza: Pharoah has spoken. It is a surprise to nobody. The wise among you must be ready for what comes next. I expect Pharaoh to flip the parish. The parish must tighten their belts and be...
- robtbrown: PostCathol ic says, The only surprising thing to me about this decision is why, after so much time in which the sleaze was known, it was finally dealt with. There seems to have been a...
- The Egyptian: “Fr. Phillips of @SJCantius will NOT be allowed to return to public ministry after he was exonerated ” “Con cerning Card. McCarrick& #8221; I believe your juxtapo...
- robtbrown: Kathleen10 says: McCarrick is still a Cardinal because it’s a big boys club of disordered men and they don’t punish and they don’t eliminate what they agree with. Not many are disorde...
- John Grammaticus: So the good Father is not guilty, but kinda guilty and he’l l won’ t be allowed to be a Priest in public. I think that His Eminence the Cardinal Archbishop needs a...
- Eugene: Father if I was to post what I really thought about Cupich and this action I would be banned from your website. May the “prince” get the reward he deserves from Almighty God for this...
- HvonBlumenthal: Does canon law permit the Archiocese to withdraw faculties without cause?
- excalibur: Who is surprised that this Cardinal Archbishop took this route? And now the chopping down of the parish begins in earnest.
- LeeGilbert: Surely this is a huge test for Fr. Philips and Canons Regular of St. John Cantius. If they accept it as if it came from God Himself, they are in the way of untold future blessings. If...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Reuters and @PhilipPullella create fake news, pit Francis against Trump
- Fr. Phillips of @SJCantius will NOT be allowed to return to public ministry after he was exonerated
- Concerning Card. McCarrick
- URGENT UPDATE – Fr. Phillips EXONERATED! UPDATED!
- Dubious dubia about the Dubia
- JUST TOO COOL: SPACE FORCE!
- ASK FATHER: What can the acolyte do and wear?
- Day 1 #ActonU – Getting Started – Days and Deaths
- “Disinformation” and some notes about the World Council of Churches
- Catholic? Why?
- “Perdonamose!” Midsummer Snails, John’s Birthday Feast and You.
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: The South
- Pres. Trump and the Brown Scapular
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Pentecost: “HEY YOU!” *smack*
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Surprise article at Commonweal about participation in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Speaking of Eucharistic Processions…
- WDTPRS: 11th Ordinary Sunday – ‘firmness’ and ‘infirmity, ‘intention’ and ‘action’
- QUIZ: What is this thing? – SOLVED!
- “The finest rosaries I have ever seen” have… returned! – UPDATES
- GREEN! Photos of green vestments for Solemn Mass in production, and a pitch
- 14 June – Elisha, Old Testament Prophet: salt, bears and you.
- READER FEEDBACK to post: Why we Say The Black and Do The Red
- ASK FATHER: Validity of sacraments from a schismatic priest
- A great restoration @CathedralStPaul
- Terrific photos of traditional rite ordination in England!
- Concerning @JamesMartinSJ talking at Vatican @LaityFamilyLife sponsored @WMOF2018
- BEER @MONKSOFNORCIA PROGRESS
- Your Sunday Sermon Note Belated
- Are you downsizing? Be careful!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Monthly Archives: June 2013
Another sign of the decay:
DOJ cuts funding of Young Marines program for mentioning ‘God’
A Louisiana sheriff is standing firm on not accepting Department of Justice funds for the Young Marines program after he was told he couldn’t mention God if … Continue reading
We are getting underway on the 3rd Day of the Sacred Liturgy Conference.
The first speaker is Fr. Michael Uwe Lang of the Brompton Oratory, one Sacred Architecture at the Service of the Church.
Non linguistic signs may be more important than … Continue reading
I had an email from the Benedictines at Norcia in Italy. They sent the text of a sermon given some time ago by Fr. Cassian Folsom, OSB. Given recent events and the sermon’s topic, it occurred to me that we … Continue reading
From a reader:
During Confession, the parochial vicar at my parish insists that I say the Act of Contrition after absolution, when I have left the confessional. So I say it in the pew prior to doing my penance. I think … Continue reading
Today real marriage and true sexual identity was dealt a blow by one of the most dangerous institutions on the planet, the Supreme Court of these United States of America.
What was the reaction of “The First Gay President”?
Obama: I won’t … Continue reading
Lots of French this afternoon at the Sacred Liturgy conference. I follow French well but… with the jet lag and the first topic… damn! I had to walk around and find coffee for to stay wakeful. And I find lots … Continue reading
Dreadful news from the Supreme Court:
Supreme Court strikes down Defense of Marriage Act provision
The Supreme Court has struck down a federal provision denying benefits to legally married gay couples.
The 5-4 decision found the Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional.
“The federal statute … Continue reading
Day 2 of the Sacred Liturgy conference in Rome is underway.
The first talk this morning was by Gabriel Steinschulte on sacred liturgical music. He is the nephew of the late, great Msgr. Johannes Overath (a friend and colleague of my … Continue reading
The long-awaited conference on sacred liturgy in Rome is underway.
We began with Vespers, sung in the Church of Sant’Appolinare near the Piazza Navona.
A shot from my angle.
Tonight we begin with an introduction by Bp. Rey and an address by Card. … Continue reading
What’s with this?
From the Daily Mail:
Mystery as century-old Swiss watch discovered in ancient tomb sealed for 400 years
Archaeologists are stumped after finding a 100-year-old Swiss watch in an ancient tomb that was sealed more than 400 years ago.
They believed they … Continue reading
I was sent a link to something at The Right Scoop: it is a video of Vice President Biden, theologian. You will need an emesis basin or a bag of some sort if you watch it.
There is an annoying ad … Continue reading
QUAERITUR: Convoluted scenario involving “whiney trads”, priest shortages, Magic 8-Ball, and dragon teeth
From a reader:
I have a hypothetical question for you related to Summorum Pontificum and the Bishop’s obligation to make certain those who wish to have the TLM can do so by supplying a priest as it relates to priest shortages and whiney traditionalists.
Hypothetical … Continue reading
I confess that I am a little shocked.
His Excellency Most Reverend John Nienstedt, Archbishop of St. Paul and (of my hometown) Minneapolis has entrust a parish that was to close to the FSSP!
Brick by brick! Parish by parish.
Here is Archbp. … Continue reading
I have in the past mentioned the comment made by Card. Heenan when he experienced the Novus Ordo for the first time. The comment leads a longish piece posted at Rorate (which no longer links to this blog, btw) by … Continue reading