Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Spade: “Fr_ Sotelo says: I also would never have published it, even in a small circle of friends. 8221; I would have. There̵ 7;s an old saying I’ve heard here in DC: “Nev er...
- robtbrown: Her photo surprised me. The letter indicates she had experience of the pre Vat II Church. Instead, she looks to be someone born 1970-75. Consequent ly, her letter seems typical of the...
- Fr_Sotelo: It is actually typical of the letters that parishione rs send off when they are angry. Most of the time, these letters bypass the priest and go straight to the bishop. As a pastor, I...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father! Fascinatin g, the Shalom – Khaire (I don’ t know how to produce Greek letters here) bit.
- richiedel: DanW got it.
- KateD: Captiva. May God have mercy on her. And send His holy angels to the defense of this faithful and embattled young priest. When you get a letter like that you know you have gotten under the...
- Fr. Kelly: No. I assure you, it is a Lambertini , Benedict XIV mug. Everything about the mug encourages me to drink my coffee slowly. If it were a Lamborghin i, I might have to gulp it down as...
- Olecrochet: The thing I find most disturbing about this letter is the total lack of respect for the priest. Isn’ t he the representa tive of Christ ? I may not have the phrasing right, but he...
- Fallibilissimo: First off, it’s pretty late where I’m at and now I desperatel y want some pasta e ceci. That looks absolutely delightful . And I second what a commentato r said here about willing...
- DanW: Gaius Marius
- Gab: Damian Thompson ? Verified account @holysmoke 3h3 hours ago To clarify: Fr Rynne didn’t intend to make public Maureen Bennett’s snide letter. I didn’t know that when I published it (and I...
- TonyO: This poor woman Maureen says Your attitude to women on the altar, denying us of the positions we have humbly held in the past… ;” She cannot realize what she is saying. “...
- Gab: adriennep says: “I keep saying Father Z needs to do a cookbook! I’d buy multiple copies. 221; Capital idea! It would go well with the cooking show I keep saying he should do.
- Suburbanbanshee: Agree, Anita. I do not want to be a priest; and it is about sacrifice, not stardom. I have been thinking that a lot of people confuse liturgy with a performing art. God does...
- G1j: We settled for venison goulash today̷ 0;Tasty, but the pasta e ceci looks fantastic.
- JustaSinner: Alas, too many carbs̷ 0;but I can dream!
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): The women who want to be priests want it because they don’t get what the priesthood is. They think it’s about power and influence. It isn’t. It’s self-immol ation. I thank...
- Karl Keating: “Can you think of another famous ‘nov us homo… new man’ who was from Arpinum? 8221; Yes, I can, but not perhaps the man you have in mind: Luigi Embergher was born...
- hilltop: “Newly trained” Maureen may be, but now she is newly vetted. Does anyone know if she had her moment in the sanctuary? And if so, what was that like? A “lay leader” (Was she appoint...
- adriennep: I keep saying Father Z needs to do a cookbook! I’d buy multiple copies. Now I have to wait one day to procure ingredient s for this fabulous dish.
- acardnal: Was the broth chicken or vegetable? [This was chicken broth. You could use either.]
- bookworm: “Has no one ever considered the role of ugly churches in making us docile foot soldiers of hell?̶ 1; Or the role of ugly civic/gove rnment buildings in the deteriorat ion of...
- Clinton R.: Sigh, these are the times we live in, when a good and faithful priest must obey a modernist bishop and use a table altar instead of the high altar. The former is a Cranmer table suita...
- Cafea Fruor: Oh, that looks good! I’m sick with a cold today and would love it if someone made me soup. As it is, I got caught off guard with this one (thought it was allergies until this...
- capchoirgirl: Mmmm! That looks fabulous.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- 25 March: Feast of The Good Thief, St. Dismas
- LENTCAzT 2019 19 – Monday of the 3rd Week of Lent: The angel’s greeting to Mary
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Pasta e ceci … with a quiz
- ASK FATHER: Bishop forces priest to use table altar instead of high altar for Extraordinary Form
- LENTCAzT 2019 19 – 3rd Sunday of Lent: Mass is not a souvenir
- Vicious letter to a young, faithful priest
- LENTCAzT 2019 18 – Saturday in the 2nd Week: God chooses the weak
- STOP THE PRESSES: Young people sing in the Illinois State Capitol
- Study Commission: no evidence women were ordained to the diaconate
- Your Good News – UPDATED
- Dots to connect
- STATIONS OF THE CROSS – Audio from Fr. Z
- LENTCAzT 2019 17 – Friday in the 2nd Week: The most efficacious devotion?
- Wherein Fr. Z makes an appeal to the readership
- “Dear Fathers, dear seminarians…” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- LENTCAzT 2019 16 – Thursday in the 2nd Week: “Don’t give me heaven! Instead give me…”
- George Weigel on “Two Georges” and future persecution
- Francis’ Triduum Schedule: strange lacuna
- Bp. Schneider: On the question of a heretical pope
- ASK FATHER: Father doses off during Mass
- LENTCAzT 2019 15 – Wednesday in the 2nd Week: Card. Burke
- Officially BADASS CATHOLIC PHOTO
- Germany: More dissent from nuns
- “Te, Ioseph celebrent”, a hymn in honor of the Terror of Demons
- CRISIS: Keen analysis of the implosion of the German Church
- LENTCAzT 2019 14 – Tuesday in the 2nd Week: Glorious St. Joseph!
- Lighter fare
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about Hell and sin and Enemy of the soul
- LENTCAzT 2019 13 – Monday in the 2nd Week: Kneeling at Mass, its actual liturgical function
- “You just want the 1950’s back!”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: July 2013
I have been saying that we are going to see more direct, physical attacks on the Church – on churches – from both pro-homosexuality and pro-abortion (pro-sterility and pro-death) advocates. I saw this at CNA with my emphases and comments: … Continue reading
I was blithely typing along, and THUD… BEEP!! My UPS (uninterruptible power sources) sprang to bleeping life. “It finally happened,” quoth I… or words to that effect. Here at the SPTDV we have no electricity. Since I just posted this, … Continue reading
Was there a good point in the sermon you heard for your Sunday Mass?
Letter by letter. At the blog Socon or Bust I saw a post about a woman who had been writing to her local bishop for some years about liturgical abuses at her parish. The bishop, predictably, did nothing. She wrote … Continue reading
¿Este será el ‘lío’ que quiere el Papa? Some young people could be taking Pope Francis at his word when the other day he said, precisely to young people, “quiero lío en las dioceses… I want a mess in dioceses”. … Continue reading
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo_1_WZ5DmA&feature=player_embedded Bis pueri senes? This is supposed to be a rehearsal of some sort. I don’t know for which event. I really want to just smile and shrug this off. I suspect this isn’t what Pope Francis meant when he … Continue reading
In his off the cuff address in the cathedral of Rio during WYD on Thursday, 25 July, the Pope told young people to make some chaos back home (“quiero lío en las diócesis”), to pay attention to the elderly, and … Continue reading
The Holy Father, Pope Francis (or perhaps “Pope Lío“, hereafter), met with young people in the strange cathedral of Rio de Janiero on Thursday, 25 July. He spoke in Spanish, entirely off the cuff. Here is the official English translation … Continue reading
Didn’t one of Pres. Obama’s closest advisers, Anita Dunn, praise Mao? From American Catholic: That President Obama praised dead Communist dictator Ho Chi Minh will come as a surprise only to Americans who haven’t been paying attention, which, alas, is … Continue reading
A while ago I had a post and poll about government surveillance of your communications and other doings. HERE I saw an article in First Things (in these USA to subscribe click HERE) which touches on Christian issues and surveillance. Read … Continue reading
I just received this in my email and, almost against my will, it got me to smile: The game God loves most. And – just because – a really funny commercial. I dunno. One of the best commercials ehvvur? (And … Continue reading
From a reader: Father, I spend a lot of time in Finland which has Europe’s smallest Catholic Church, [not to mention one of Europe’s oddest languages…] both in terms of absolute numbers and in terms of percentage of the population. … Continue reading
From Breitbart: MILITARY CENSORS CHRISTIAN CHAPLAIN, ATHEISTS CALL FOR PUNISHMENT A Christian chaplain in the military is being officially censored for engaging in free speech, and anti-Christian activists are demanding he be punished. Lt. Col. Kenneth Reyes is a Christian … Continue reading
Remember the gender bender story from a few days ago about legislation in California that would “require public schools in his state to allow students to choose which bathrooms, locker rooms and sports teams match their gender identity.” HERE Keep … Continue reading