From a reader:

I have searched for but am unable to find the text a newly ordained priest uses for first blessings. Do you perhaps know where one could find it in Latin and/or in English?

The usual blessing:

Benedictio Dei omnipotentis Patris, et + Filii, et Spiritus Sancti descendat super te/vos et maneat semper. Amen.

No need to throw in all sorts of other ingredients as if those to be blessed were lined up at a salad bar … sprinklings of pious imagery, vague invocations of niceness and holy fluff, rambling discourses that dead end in words like “beautiful” … you know of which I speak.

This is also the blessing the priest should give to servers after Mass.

Romans are concise.

Ask priests for their blessing.

Technorati Tags: ,

This entry was posted in "How To..." - Practical Notes, ASK FATHER Question Box, Liturgy Science Theatre 3000, Mail from priests, Our Catholic Identity, Priests and Priesthood, Seminarians and Seminaries and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to QUAERITUR: Text for 1st blessings by a new priest (… same as blessings by an old priest)

1. Imrahil says:

Around here, they seem to, with some sort of regularity, ask for the name of the one asking to be blessed and then say, “May, through the imposition of my hands and upon the intercession of Holy Mary Mother of God, St. Joseph, Sts. N. (patron saint) and N. (of the priest’s choosing), the blessing of the Almighty God, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, come upon thee and remain with thee forever.”

2. albinus1 says:

I remember being at Mass at a FSSP parish about 15 years ago when a newly-ordained priest gave his first blessing to those who came up to the Communion rail for it after Mass. I listened carefully, and what I heard was this:

Per impositionem manuum mearum, et per intercessionem omnium sanctorum, omni benedictione caelesti atque terrestri benedicat te Omnipotens Deus, Pater [etc.]

3. APX says:

Any first blessings I’ve received have all been personalized, but still take on the same aforementioned formula (more or less). Though, it was noted that one priest’s blessings were getting shorter as he went on.

4. Random Friar says:

IIRC, at my ordination, a lot of people asked for special intentions for the blessing, so I incorporated those. No Latin, though. It was a little difficult to “wing it.”

5. StJude says:

When I read the title of this post.. I thought I was going to get info on how to text a Priest for a blessing.
    ugh.. .. how silly I felt when it finally clicked in my brain.

6. Random Friar says:

I imagine you could text a priest to give you a blessing. However, if you “lol” or emoticon me, the font of blessings will dry up real quick.

7. StJude says:

Random Friar.. I will just keep my blessing requests old school. : )

8. Speravi says:

The usual formula mention by Fr. Z is certainly appropriate and entirely sufficient. However, I have seen a card printed with the text mentioned by albinus1. There were beginning parts to the blessing based on whether a simple laic, a parent or sibling of the priest, a cleric, a religious, or a priest was being blessed. To each of these beginning parts was added the conclusion mentioned by albinus1.

9. Keith Kenney says:

Formulæ Benedictionum

Sacerdoti:

Resúscitet in te Dóminus grátiam Spíritus Sancti quam per mánuum impositiónem accepísti, ut sis dignus mínister Christi et fidélis dispensátor misteriórum Dei – sis sal Christi numquam infatuándum et incérna ardens in domo Dei – memor sit Dóminus omnis sacrifícii tui, et holocaústum tuum pinque fiat. Tríbuat tibi Dóminus longitúdinem diérum et finálem grátiam, ut possis bonum certámen certáre et cursum tuum felíciter consummáre, adjuvánte Dómino nostro Jesu Christo, qui vivit et regnat cum Deo Patre in unitáte Spíritus Sancti Deus, per ómnia s?cula sæculórum. Amen.

Clerico:

Effúndat super te Dóminus Spíritum sapiéntiæ et intelléctus, consílii, sciéntiæ, fortitúdinis, pietátis ac timóris Dómini, ut evádas sacérdos secúndum cor Dei. Adímpleat Deus petitiónes tuas et omne consílium tuum confírmet, ac omni benedictióne cœlésti ac terréstri benedícat te Deus Pater et Fílius et Spíritus Sanctus.

Regulari vel Moniali:

Deprecatiónes tuas admíttat Dóminus ad sacrárium exauditiónis suæ, ut possis gloriári in cruce Dómini nostri Jesu Christi, per quem tibi mundus crucifíxus est et tu mundo, et cui fidéliter desérvis, ipse sit tibi merces tua, qui vivit regnat cum Deo Patre in unitáte Spíritus Sancti Deus, per ómnia s?cula sæculórum. Amen.

Patri vel Matri:

Accipe Pater (Mater) benedictiónem a fílio, qui tibi sit báculus in senectúte tua, benedícat te Deus benedictiónibus cœli et terræ, ímpleat omnes petitiónes tuas, det tibi ómnia secúndum cor tuum, confírmet omne consílium tuum. Largiátur tibi de abscóndito thesaúro suo, plenitúdinem omnis grátiæ et longitúdinem vitæ tuæ; cum autem defécerit virtus tua non derelínquat te Dóminus, sed tríbuat tibi finálem grátiam meque in ætérnæ claritátis gaúdio fáciat te vidére, qui vivit et regnat in s?cula sæculórum. Amen.

Fratri vel Sorori:

Accipe frater (soror) benedictiónem a fratre tuo, quam Deus ratam hábeat in conspéctu suo (reliqua si sit adolescens, ut infra pro adolescente; si virgo, ut pro virgine.)

Adolescenti:

Omnipoténtia ætérni Dei Patris consérvet te, Fílii Dei sapiéntia erúdiat te, et Spíritus Sancti cáritas inflámmet te, ut crescas sapiéntia et ætáte, ac grátia apud Deum et hómines. Sis báculus in senectúte tuórum paréntum, et vídeas bona Jerúsalem ómnibus diébus vitæ tuæ, ac omni benedictióne cœlésti ac terréstri benedícat te Deus, Pater et Fílius et Spíritus Sanctus.

Virgini:

Tríbuat tibi Dóminus de abscóndito thesaúro suo grátiam, ut sis virgo sápiens, et una de número prudéntum. Effúndat super te Spíritum pietátis, castitátis ac timóris sui, ut sponso cœlésti complacére, et ad thálamum eius admitti mereáris, qui vivit et regnat in s?cula sæculórum. Amen.

Benedictio communis:

Omni benedictióne cœlésti et terréstri, benedícat te omnípotens Deus, Pater et Fílius et Spíritus Sanctus. Amen.

Benedictio generalis: in casu innumerabilis populi ambas manus extendendo dicit:

Pax Dómini nostri Jesu Christi, et virtus sanctíssimæ passiónis, et signum sanctæ crucis, et intégritas beatíssimæ Maríæ Vírginis, intercessiónes ómnium Sanctórum et suffrágia electórum Dei sint in vobis, ut inimícos vestros visíbiles et invisíbiles, máxime in hora mortis superáre valeátis, et omni benedictióne cœlésti et terréstri benedícat vos omnípotens Deus, Pater et Fílius et Spíritus Sanctus.

Per impositiónem (extensiónem*) mánuum meárum sacerdotálium, et per intercessiónem beátæ Maríæ semper Vírginis, et Sancti (Sanctæ)…, et ómnium Sanctórum; Benedíctio Dei Omnipoténtis, Patris, et Fílii, et Spíritus Sancti, descéndat super te (vos) et máneat semper Amen.

* “Extensiónem” is used for anyone tonsured or for consecrated nuns.

Found this at http://www.haerentanimo.net/?p=1100

10. KAS says:

A first year priest from Our Lady of Guadalupe Seminary came and we had a lovely Extraordinary form Mass. After, he stayed and nearly everyone went for a blessing. I held back to be last and after kissing his hands, I asked him to also bless a box I brought with me with a few small items pertaining to my roles as mother and writer. He did so, and I must say, since that day there have been quite a few changes for the better.

I wish we could have kept him and enjoyed that lovely version of the Mass all the time.