1st Sunday of October: Indulgence – Supplication to O.L. of Pompeii

There is a beautiful tradition for this day (often right at 1200 noon).  Once upon a time one could obtain this day a plenary indulgence by reciting the Supplication to the Madonna of Pompeii.  The other day for this is 8 May.

With the changes to the concessions for indulgences, according to the Enchiridion Indulgentiarum, there is no longer any plenary indulgence for this prayer, notwithstanding anything you might see in some old book or on a website.  For example, if you see something about Pope Leo XIII granting an indulgence, etc., that is null and void now.

However, the new Enchiridion says with concession #17, §3 that Marian prayers obtain a partial indulgence under the condition that the prayer is approved by competent authority and that it is recited with fervor in the state of grace (you don’t need confession and Communion within 8 days, nor must you recite the prayers for the Roman Pontiffs intentions for a partial indulgence)You can receive a partial indulgence, by maintaining this beautiful custom of the Supplication today.

For more about this, including the prayers, click HERE.

I included background on Bl. Bartolo Longo, a converted Satanic priest! John Paul II beatified Bartolo Longo in 1980.  Some of his writings form the basis of the Luminous Mysteries of the Rosary.

This entry was posted in "How To..." - Practical Notes, Just Too Cool, Our Catholic Identity and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to 1st Sunday of October: Indulgence – Supplication to O.L. of Pompeii

1. Ryan says:

Why would a pontiff eliminate such things?!

2. Bea says:

Not only:
    “Why would a pontiff eliminate such things?!”

But why:
    would a pontiff beatify an ex-satanic priest (although converted) and use his input for the luminous mysteries?

3. ClavesCoelorum says:

Bea,

Because everything can be forgiven. If he lived a holy life, there is nothing to keep a Pope from beatifying him.

4. StWinefride says:

Bea, two words:

DIVINE MERCY!! :)

Let the greatest sinners place their trust in My mercy. They have the right before others to trust in the abyss of My mercy. My daughter, write about My mercy towards tormented souls. Souls that make an appeal to My mercy delight Me. To such souls I grant even more graces than they ask. I cannot punish even the greatest sinner if he makes an appeal to My compassion, but on the contrary, I justify him in My unfathomable and inscrutable mercy”.

Divine Mercy in My Soul, Diary of St Faustina, 1146

5. JJZ says:

Pope Francis mentioned this tradition in his Angelus address today: “Ottobre è anche il mese del Rosario, e in questa prima domenica è tradizione recitare la Supplica alla Madonna di Pompei, la Beata Vergine Maria del Santo Rosario. Ci uniamo spiritualmente a questo atto di fiducia nella nostra Madre, e riceviamo dalle sue mani la corona del Rosario: il Rosario è una scuola di preghiera, il Rosario è una scuola di fede!”

6. Lin says:

Beautiful, beautiful prayer! I passed it on to friends this morning as well as said it myself. Thank you Father Z! You are in my prayers every day!

7. Sandy says:

Thank you, Father, and may Our Mother obtain many blessings for you! I can’t imagine not having her in my life, and just said this beautiful prayer. We, and I, need all the heavenly help we can get! I have been begging her for assistance in my upcoming trip that will be very difficult.

8. lana says:

@Ryan,

My understanding ( I am no expert), is that the number of indulgenced prayers had increased too much. The Pope wanted to reduce and simplify to the basic devotions he wanted to encourage and unify souls around these:

the Rosary
    Stations of the Cross
    Prayer before the Blessed Sacrament
    works of mercy
    (did I miss any of the works for a plenary indulgence?)

and always: Confession, Holy Eucharist, prayers for the Holy Father’s intentions.

Hope that helps, God bless.

9. lana says:

Yes, I missed one: reading Scripture.

10. Priam1184 says:

@Bea Why would God choose a man who had spent his formative years inciting the murder of Christians (Saul of Tarsus) as his instrument to spread the Gospel throughout the Roman Empire? God’s ways are not our ways. I wish you a safe journey Father.

11. Bea says:

ClavesCoelorum says:

StWinefride says:
    DIVINE MERCY!! :)

Yes, Thank you both, for your reminder:
    I tend to concentrate on His Divine Justice.

And of course, there’s St. Augustine, Doctor of the Church and so many others.
    And also, without His Divine Mercy, I know I would never make it.

12. SpittleFleckedNutty says:

@Ryan says: Why would a pontiff eliminate such things?

The Spirit of Vatican II frowned on personal acts of piety. From Paul VI’s Apostolic Constitution, Induilgentiarum Doctrina, chapters 4 and 5:

“While recommending that its faithful not abandon or neglect the holy traditions of their forebears…nevertheless…It constantly reminds them, though, of those things which are to be given preference because they are necessary or at least better and more efficacious for the attainment of salvation

Holy Mother Church has then deemed it fitting, in order to give greater dignity and esteem to the use of indulgences, to introduce some innovations into its discipline of indulgences and has accordingly ordered the issuance of new norms.

It has also been considered fitting to reduce appropriately the number of plenary indulgences in order that the faithful may hold them in greater esteem and may in fact acquire them with the proper dispositions. For indeed the greater the proliferation (of indulgences) the less is the attention given them; what is offered in abundance is not greatly appreciated. Besides, many of the faithful need considerable time to prepare themselves properly for acquisition of a plenary indulgence.

Norm 13—The Enchiridion Indulgentiarium [collection of indulgenced prayers and works] is to be revised with a view to attaching indulgences only to the most important prayers and works of piety, charity and penance.”

Does anyone think the bolded above is true in hindsight? I guess from an ecumania standpoint, fewer Catholics “mumbling worship to statues” makes us look better to Protestants. Or something.

13. APX says:

SFN,

I have noticed at the EF I attend that when we have the Blessed Sacrament exposed for adoration, many people completely neglect the blessed Sacrament and head straight for the votive candles and venerating the images of our lady. This speaks of misplaced piety and perhaps might have been an contributing factor to lessening the plenary indulgences.

14. Siculum says:

I remember a story. Let’s se if I can tell it accurately.

A priest was alone in his empty church, or so he thought, and had to go up to the choir loft for something. As he looked down, he saw an old woman sitting quietly in the pews. He watched her for a little bit, and then decided he might play a little trick on her. He called down in a mysterious voice, “This is Jesus.”

The woman didn’t respond. Thinking she might be hard of hearing, the priest repeated a bit louder, “This is Jesus.”

The lady didn’t move a muscle. Boy, she must have forgotten her hearing aids today! Once more the priest called out even more insistently, “This is Jesus!

Without skipping a beat, the elderly woman replied, “Be quiet. I’m talking to your Mother.”

15. Ryan says:

I don’t wish to imagine what sort of man would think that visiting Lanciano for 8 days in succession, or twice a year praying such a wonderful prayer, in order to gain a plenary indulgence would have misplaced piety. Perhaps the holy father should have studied basic electricity: lessen the resistance and the voltage drops.

16. Ryan says:

Thank you, Spittle Flecked Nutty. That is incredibly enlightening. It makes me wonder whether Paul VI was the bad guy, or was just following orders from above. Perhaps Christ desires that His church suffer a spell? I don’t know.

What I do know is that after the liturgical abuse I endured last night from the Priest who has been my spiritual director for several months, I’m calling it quits on any and all NO parishes. I’m fleeing to a Traditional community in hope of sanity.

17. Ryan says:

APX, my use of the words, “misplaced piety” was not intended as a reference to you or refutation of what you said. I had read all the posts and the words “misplaced piety” were very appropriate. Those people you mentioned have a deplorably misplaced piety.

And really, I think we can all agree, that it is not possible to gain an indulgence with misplaced piety. The problem is really catechesis. And beyond that it falls to the individual; it could be idolatry and it could be neglect but indulgences are good. After all, if a bridge is supposed to get one across a river, it’s not better to have fewer bridges.

18. Priam1184 says:

I am a weak and sinful man so I must admit that I grow tired of the crypto sedevacantist content contained in a lot of the comments on this site, and in a couple of them pertaining to this post as well. Be on guard against these devils my friends; they only tell you what you think that you want to hear, but the enemy wears many masks.

19. David Collins says:

Siculum, you should have gotten a gold star for that story. Hilarious.