Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- MrsMacD: Your collar?! Hmmm… ; keeping any illegal substances in your collar Father? I bet the guy was just checking out the collar. I wonder how this thing works? Is it comfortabl e? This...
- Adaquano: Mass in OF… Our pastor ended his homily be reflecting in Mary despite having the Holy Spirit within her from the Annucation , she was present in the Upper room, praying with and for...
- Moro: I used to think this too until I was preparing to serve mass and someone brought to our attention a host that had been left on the floor. That particular chapel had so much foot traffic...
- tominrichmond: Gotta get em young. What a shame to see, year after year, each and every first communican t stick their hands out. I have little doubt that “in the hand” ; is the default...
- Semper Gumby: Great video. Sandy, that’ ;s impressive .
- Semper Gumby: Fr. Z: Indeed. David L Alexander: Great comment. “Whe n surrounded by disorder, a designated routine of prayer brings order to the interior. And, of course, a good and sturdy...
- Fr Martin Fox: My homily emphasized the Fire of the Holy Spirit: the Holy Spirit is given to us not as an ornament or a hobby, but that we may be transforme d. I gave two examples, one to illustr...
- TonyO: My pastor focused not on Pentecost as an event (tongues of fire, other languages, etc), but on the Gospel passage, of Christ giving the power to forgive sins, and absolutely hammered the...
- David L Alexander: hwriggles4 : You will find the NCCS’ ;s position on BSA membership policy decisions, including those removing sexual orientatio n and gender identity as barriers to member...
- Kevin: Top drawer homily from Canon Lebocq Prior of ICRSP here in Ireland. He took each of the gifts of the Holy Spirit given to us in Confirmati on showing how they point us to reject the abort...
- sallyr: I work at a facility with hundreds of developmen tally disabled adults. There is no way we could evacuate them in one of these scenarios you are discussing . Many of them have very complex...
- Carrie: Yes, MrsMacD, the Old Testament is full of stories of righteous battles. That reflected the Jewish understand ing of God. But Jesus came and set us straight (read Mt 5:38-48). As Fr. Z...
- Carrie: And— true. It’s the opinion of most of the world. [?] America has become a joke, that puts guns before life itself. But, “sending thoughts and prayers” takes care of things and absol...
- Andreas: Ave Crux wrote, “It makes you wonder if such correction s harden them and they use it as an excuse to stop coming to Mass altogether , then YOU feel guiltyR 21;. Thank you for...
- Ave Crux: I have three heartbreak ing stories on what Communion in the hand leads to — and they’ ;re reality, not “Tra ditional Catholic hyperbole& #8221; 1) I entered a church for...
- Fr. Reader: @robtbrown I cannot, obviously, affirm the sin of no one. I should have used different words in what I wrote. And yes, the Quo Primus is a very strong text.
- hwriggles4: While I am disgusted with the Boy Scouts at the National Level, I do know some Scout leaders who want to keep their troops intact. One Scout leader a few years ago told me he was going...
- JARay: I am horrified to read of this happening. I well remember procession s in the streets outside our church on the Feast of Corpus Christi when I was a boy. But this never happens now. One big...
- Carrie: USA motto: “In Guns We Trust.” [That̵ 7;s petty and cheap.] I prefer this: “Put away your sword. Those who live by the sword, die by the sword.” (Jesus) Or, “They will beat their swords...
- hwriggles4: While I have not heard of priests refusing to baptize babies (unless the parent (s) did not express a sincere commitment to raise the baby in the faith), I for one didn’ ;t realize...
- Midwest St. Michael: Joy65 says: “Our Lord when received should be received with the recipient on his/her knees. He deserves that much and more.̶ 1; Absolutely ! Or, at the very least,...
- MrsMacD: Carrie, I struggled with this myself, until I read the old testament. Perhaps watching the movie, “The Hidden Rebellion, ” would help you to put things into perspectiv e....
- Joe in Canada: I’m reading “Euc haristic Miracles 8221; by Joan Carroll Cruz. It’s amazing how many of the miracles happened after someone received Communion the way they did...
- Joe in Canada: I guess this means that those in the Ordinary Form can no longer have the option of Pentecost Monday which is mentioned in the Missal. I guess we can take “or even Tuesday...
- StephenCordova: The hymns for the office of readings and matins are Latin translatio ns of lines 1-39 from canto 33 of Dante’s _Paradiso_ , Bernard of Clairvaux’ s salutation of the Virgin.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Sunday: that strong stable edge
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- BACK IN PRINT! The Heresy of Formlessness
- My View For Awhile: Creston Edition
- “I used to think hosts found on floors was Traditional Catholic hyperbole…”
- Monday after Pentecost: Memorial of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of the Church – TEXTS
- Bp. Schneider’s terrific talk in Rome – ACTION ITEM!
- ASK FATHER: As a lay woman, should I have a “Mass kit” in my “Bug Out Bag”?
- @JamesMartinSJ can also amuse
- I have bad news and good news: Scouts and Troops
- Darío Card. Castrillón Hoyos, former Pres. of the Pont. Comm. “Ecclesia Dei” – RIP
- Bp. Schneider on the Met “Gay-la”
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Peter Kreeft and 2018 Ignatius Pew Missal
- VIDEOS: Lessons in how properly to fold a cassock
- VIDEO: Military pilgrimage to Lourdes
- Fascinating and sad: transcript of 1976 meeting of Paul VI and SSPX Archbp. Lefebvre
- A light TEOTWAWKI moment
- @ArchbishpSample to make liturgical changes in the @archpdx
- “The Council that might have been…” but wasn’t.
- INTERNET PRAYER UPDATE: MALAYALAM
- Justice Thomas delievers commencement address
- ASK FATHER: Timing of announcements during Holy Mass
- ASK FATHER: Religious Ed teacher controls First Communion
- My View For Awhile: Domum
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Sad: “Cranmer tables” in the Pantheon and many great Roman churches
- ¡Hagan lío! Wherein Fr. Z is pretty angry and wants to fight back
- ASK FATHER: Stuck at work for all Sunday obligation Masses
- Some Views From The Journey: Rome again – UPDATED
- Beans, the Lord’s Ascension and You
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Daily Archives: 28 October 2013
Vatican Insider has an interview with Card. Pell, who is one of the Gang of 8.
In this interview the cardinal comments on the recent meeting of the Council of Cardinals with Francis, the reform of the Roman Curia, and Lefebvrist … Continue reading
I saw this at First Things:
Protesting Too Much
Matthew J. Franck
At National Review Online over the weekend, the familiar-to-First Things-readers George Weigel published a talk he gave recently in Green Bay, Wisconsin, in the course of which he argued: [For the … Continue reading
When I was in Rome recently I ran into the editor of a newish online magazine called
I was told that the magazine, available only in digital form, has a strongly traditional view and is especially geared to women.
Here is an … Continue reading
I was contacted by a priest:
Dear Fr. Z: I am a baby priest (ordained 18 months ago) who would like to learn how to say the EF. I don’t have anybody to mentor me, so I need teach myself. I … Continue reading
I have written more than once that a goal of homosexualists includes the elimination of the age of consent. Goals like this are attained through creeping incrementalism.
I just read this, from the University of Southern California:
Pedophilia Now Classified As A Sexual … Continue reading
The last Pontifical Solemn Mass and Conference in the series on Blessed Karl of Austria is today. Kudos to the Traditional Knights of Columbus Councils for organizing this series of events.
By the way, for your Brick by Brick file, I … Continue reading
The good people at the FSSP have sent me their Ordo for 2014. They are the first group to do so!
Do you have your 2014 yet, Fathers?
To order the FSSP’s Ordo, click HERE. This Ordo is especially useful for NORTH … Continue reading
A reader sent: