Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- richiedel: Gerard Plourde, It may have been possible that Cdl. Farrell was referring to the area of financial management had he not specified the areas of moral and dogmatic theology as those in...
- MrsMacD: I said the prayer you posted and copied Joy65
- MrsMacD: We’r e only too happy to expound to Father, “Wha t it’s like.̶ 1; Heck if anybody wrote a book based on anything and had as many real life stories of, ‘wha t...
- Kathleen10: Will pray for Fr. P! Please God, hear our prayer.
- hwriggles4: During my discernmen t process, I picked up an applicatio n for one Archdioces e. The applicatio n was lengthy (about 20 pages) and one question was “how do you relate to women?...
- Imrahil: The thing is… quite apart from the actual experience I do not doubt a pastor is bound to get when, well, “pas torizing 8221; families, they may know moral theology, dogma...
- Joy65: Absolutely praying for Father P. Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be
- Gerard Plourde: Is it possible that the experience that Cardinal Farrell is referring to is the area of financial instabilit y which is the primary cause of discord and failure in marriages? I say...
- The Masked Chicken: Dear jhayes, Yes, I know about the confusion between Mary Magdeline as prostitute vs. Mary Magdeline as having seven demons. My original draft made that distinctio n in a...
- Robert_Caritas: An FSSP priests hears confession s at Chartres, and I think is the pastor of a nearby parish. I’ve run into him every time I’ve been there, so there’s a good chance it’s him. The...
- Sue in soCal: Marriage is a sacrament and a vocation and should be treated as such: Seriously. Preparatio n for this calling is woefully inadequate throughout the Church.
- JSzczuka: TLM: Father gave an excellent homily today, drawing from the collect, epistle, and of course the Gospel. He first talked about how beautiful the Latin was in the collect, not perfec...
- MrsMacD: Our sermon today was on how to distinguis h between a temptation and an interior sin, that if we do not take pleasure in the temptation that for certain we did not sin and that if we are...
- Joy65: bobbird says: 15 July 2018 at 11:54 AM “Let us add about sexual self-contr ol needed among — mostly — the men AFTER marriage, if the couple is being instructed in Humanae Vitae and...
- Simon_GNR: Strange that apple bobbing should be associated with this feast day – apples won’ t be ripe and ready for picking for a couple of months yet. It’s been hot and sunny...
- tho: After hearing confession s for a number of years, and listening to the problems of their parishione rs for the same amount of time, no one is better qualified to dispense advice than a good...
- jhayes: Chicken wrote Mary Magdeline was neither married nor a virgin To uphold her good name:: The only thing we know from Scripture about Mary Magdalene& #8217;s personal life is that, at one...
- ex seaxe: Nothing startling. OF so OT15B, Amos 7:12-15, Ps 84/83, Ephesians 1:3-14, Mark 6:7-13. Emphsised, as he often does, that we are all called to evangelise , and that this is mainly by...
- GrumpyYoungMan: Visiting a parish in Archdioces e of Denver. God’ s graces aren’ ;t magic – they need cooperatio n from us. For healing to take place, it requires from us a change...
- richiedel: Amerikaner , I, too, considered for a moment, whether this may be about setting the stage for married priests. But upon further considerat ion, I didn’ ;t think it would be worth...
- frjim4321: The prelate does not seem to understand how counseling works, including pastoral counseling . It’s hard to imagine how such an ignorant person can ascend to such a high office, but...
- The Masked Chicken: Dear Tony, You wrote: “So, why is it, then, more special that a woman remain a virgin and consecrate her virginal state to God, than that a man do so? Why is it that the US...
- Julia_Augusta: Married priests, that’s where the Cardinal is going, which, we the faithful, will oppose. How are we going to oppose him and people like him? Every time they make a scandal...
- bobbird: Let us add about sexual self-contr ol needed among — mostly — the men AFTER marriage, if the couple is being instructed in Humanae Vitae and NFP. Who understand s this better...
- MrsMacD: Amongst my family there are six of us who are married, one to be married soon. We all agree that the best marriage prep any of us received was directly from a good priest that took the...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ACTION ITEM! Urgent prayer request for a priest
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- “St Swithin’s day if thou be fair…”
- What priests can – with credibility – do in marriage preparation
- French stones and soutanes
- US Association of Consecrated Virgins condemns confusing new rules from Holy See
- What could possibly go wrong?
- ¡Hagan lío! in Poland. Young, and raising hell…. correction… razing Hell.
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: We can stray off the path to the right or to the left.
- 12 July: Sts. Louis Martin and Marie-Azélie Guérin
- Does “Beans” @MassimoFaggioli undermine ‘Humanae vitae’?
- ASK FATHER: Mom baptized my child in the bathtub
- INTERESTING UPDATE – Pope Francis phones Gianni Vattimo, philosopher of “weak thought”
- SSPX ELECTS NEW SUPERIOR GENERAL – UPDATED
- Ex ore infantium perfecisti laudem
- ASK FATHER: Should a priest have a day off?
- ASK FATHER: Traditional Latin Mass in a Protestant church?
- Madame Defarge (@MichaelSWinters) is upset that people don’t find the Terror – applied to real people today – very funny.
- A little bright spot for your day, a discrete packet of energy for your mind.
- Fr. Perrone: The greatest weapon within the grasp of every Catholic is the keeping of a well-ordered soul
- “We have to learn how to be Roman priests again.” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Left freaks out over SCOTUS pick. Hilarious tweets ensue.
- New FSSP Superior General elected, SSPX is gathered, CSJC … we shall see.
- A mosque at the site of the Battle of Tours!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- 07/07/07 – Summorum Pontificum 11 years on – WORK HARDER!
- ASK FATHER: It’s getting hard to find suitable godparents
- Progress of the Vatican Cricket Team
- WDTPRS – 14th Ordinary Sunday: from dust to freedom
- 6 July 1535: St. Thomas More’s ‘dies natalis’
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: October 2013
Vatican Insider has an interview with Card. Pell, who is one of the Gang of 8.
In this interview the cardinal comments on the recent meeting of the Council of Cardinals with Francis, the reform of the Roman Curia, and Lefebvrist … Continue reading
I saw this at First Things:
Protesting Too Much
Matthew J. Franck
At National Review Online over the weekend, the familiar-to-First Things-readers George Weigel published a talk he gave recently in Green Bay, Wisconsin, in the course of which he argued: [For the … Continue reading
When I was in Rome recently I ran into the editor of a newish online magazine called
I was told that the magazine, available only in digital form, has a strongly traditional view and is especially geared to women.
Here is an … Continue reading
I was contacted by a priest:
Dear Fr. Z: I am a baby priest (ordained 18 months ago) who would like to learn how to say the EF. I don’t have anybody to mentor me, so I need teach myself. I … Continue reading
I have written more than once that a goal of homosexualists includes the elimination of the age of consent. Goals like this are attained through creeping incrementalism.
I just read this, from the University of Southern California:
Pedophilia Now Classified As A Sexual … Continue reading
The last Pontifical Solemn Mass and Conference in the series on Blessed Karl of Austria is today. Kudos to the Traditional Knights of Columbus Councils for organizing this series of events.
By the way, for your Brick by Brick file, I … Continue reading
The good people at the FSSP have sent me their Ordo for 2014. They are the first group to do so!
Do you have your 2014 yet, Fathers?
To order the FSSP’s Ordo, click HERE. This Ordo is especially useful for NORTH … Continue reading
A reader sent:
From a reader:
Do you lead regular pilgrimages each year? If so, do you post these on your blog so we could also go? My husband and I try to go on pilgrimage once a year. God bless you!
I do not. … Continue reading
In North Africa during the reign of Diocletian, at Abitina, a group of 49 Christians were convicted of celebrating Mass.
The local bishop had caved in to Diocletian’s anti-Christian edicts, but some Christians went ahead and worshiped on Sunday with their … Continue reading
I direct the readership’s attention to an item in the RSS feed of the Cardinal Newman Society which is on the sidebar of this blog.
CNSNews.com Covers Blatty’s Canon Law Petition on Georgetown’s Catholic Identity
CNSNews.com’s managing editor Michael Chapman recently covered … Continue reading
Here are object lessons to priests and servers who make mistakes. We go one. Don’t lose your cool, move on. Deal with it. Keep moving forward.
I saw a video that most of you have seen by … Continue reading
From a reader:
In my diocese there are a small number of seminarians who wish to wear their cassock after their first year of study at the seminary. They have approached the bishop and rector about doing so, but both have refused to grant … Continue reading
Was there a good point in the sermon you heard for your Sunday Mass of precept?
Let us know what it was.
(Yes, I am indeed trying to get you to listen carefully and remember longer. I am also aware that in … Continue reading
The next time you see Felix your house cat line up on something and pounce, picture yourself in the forest with this kitty.