Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- HvonBlumenthal: It is said that Bp Fellay would have signed the last deal which the Vatican offered, but Bp Gallareta opposed and Bp Fellay wanted unanimity between the SSPX bishops. The recent...
- iamlucky13: “I am reminded of Monty Python’s Holy Grail.R 21; Actually, I believe the article was actually based on a deleted scene from Monty PythonR 17;s The Life of Brian, origina...
- originalsolitude: The ESI 88 problem seems to be getting out of hand and causing a minor scandal, even in the local secular media. The root of the problem seems to be that the document is put...
- MrsMacD: My son reminded me of the passage in scripture where the Jews are waiting to be freed from Egypt and one of the scourges is the water is turned to blood.
- Andrew: VIPR (voluto in pavimento ridens – vulgo ROFL)
- Eric: Seems like a prudent move to me. The Society gathering the former Superiors as deposits of wisdom and experience .
- Dimitri_Cavalli: A long time ago, I contribute d some of the short, anonymous “Whi le We’r e at It” articles that appeared in First Things. This is one of my personal favorit...
- Kathleen10: Their bootheels are on our throats. There is nothing earthly to stop them. We better look up.
- JeromeThomas: Just to expand on this a little, Campus Reform is unfortunat ely incorrect in saying that social justice issues are not likely to be discussed at the ICMS. The talks that *were*...
- Kathleen10: A camel is a horse designed by committee. Didn’ ;t you say that, Fr. Z.?
- chantgirl: dbf223- I would usually agree with Janet Smith, but in the case of the nuns, I think she is wrong. The pill does not work merely by preventing ovulation, as breakthrou gh ovulation is...
- Greg Hlatky: This will end only when the last Grievance Studies professor is strangled with the guts of the last Vice Chancellor for Diversity and Inclusion.
- Clinton R.: Great post, Father. We indeed must live each day preparing ourselves for the Bridegroom . Confessing our sins is a great way to cleanse our soul and make it a suitable dwelling place...
- bobbird: Dr. Evan Lenow is a prof at Southwest Baptist Theologica l Seminary in Ft. worth. He was recently a guest on my radio show The Bird’ ;s Eye View. He defends and teaches HV as a course...
- Kerry: Hmm… what about that plague which killed 1/3 of the population , the “Peo ple of Color̶ 1; Death?
- JesusFreak84: Am I the only one who thinks this could pass for an Onion or EOTT article?
- chantgirl: LOL Well, it is cultural appropriat ion for these 21st century profs of non-Europe an descent to even study the medieval era ;) Must this dumbassery infect every area of academia? Is...
- Julia_Augusta: I am reminded of Monty Python’s Holy Grail.
- richiedel: A real medievalis t like Fr. Augustine Thompson, O.P. would be able to dissect this well.
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: As a medievalis t who has taught religious history in state universiti es (Berkeley, Oregon, Virginia) for some 25 years and now teaches that material in a seminary, I...
- Nan: Last night at my little Byzantine Church, we had the vigil liturgy for St Elijah, followed by the blessing of the cars, because Elijah was taken to heaven in a fiery chariot. In Father&...
- Nan: No, they focus on Hildegard being an Abbess and her preaching, St Catherine of Siena telling the Pope what to do, Teresa of Avila for doing what she wanted in reforming the Carmelites but...
- SanSan: This is wonderful blessed news for the faithful in Detroit! Thank you Jesus!
- LeeGilbert: Charles E Flynn, FWIW, The book you link is hardly a case of the Cistercian s “sch olaring on,” for it is the work of David N. Bell, Anglican priest and seminary rector, an...
- Ave Maria: Oh Father, you crack me up! Lets see… I think I shall hopefully identify as a faithful Roman Catholic and I hope that others can tell that! And since this is a day to remember the...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- And now for your Friday SSPX news!
- WDTPRS – 16th Ordinary Sunday: The Enemy is hunting YOU
- For your consideration…
- The hurly burly of Medieval Studies!
- FLYING ELECTRIC SPACE SPIDERS!
- ASK FATHER: Mass texts for St. Elijah, Old Testament Prophet
- What could possibly go wrong? – UPDATED
- YOUR GOOD NEWS… and Washington DC’s new Auxiliary Bishop and key priest at Detroit’s major seminary
- Budding young feminist archeologists
- ASK FATHER: Baptism of child of a same-sex couple?
- BOOK RECEIVED: Why Humanae Vitae Is Still Right!
- What the TMSM is doing with your donations
- Who is behind that “Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video” and how are they being treated?
- ACTION ITEM! Pray for Fr. Morris, victim of the homosexualist agenda
- Are we still trustworthy?
- Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video. Then Fr. Z rants about crying.
- The image of the badge of the Vendée came to mind today
- ACTION ITEM! Spiritual Bouquet for Bp. Morlino
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Garofolato!
- ASK FATHER: Cremains in funeral Mass, Traditional Requiem
- Pontifical Mass in Lake Charles. A brief and yet optimistic rant from Fr. Z.
- The last 10 minutes…
- 17 July 1794: “Permission to die, Mother?”
- 17 July 2018 – 100 years after
- Cobblestones, new vestments, and swag for Zed Heads
- More shallow, angry, cliché feminist rubbish from Fishwrap
- The demographics of church participation are shifting.
- ACTION ITEM! Urgent prayer request for a priest
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- “St Swithin’s day if thou be fair…”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: December 2013
Hmmm…. Maybe I should name Justice Sonia Sotomayor Fr. Z’s Person of the Year.
Justice [Sotomayor] delays health law’s birth control mandate
Justice delays health law’s birth control mandate
By: Associated Press
December 31, 2013 10:34 PM EST
WASHINGTON — Only hours before the … Continue reading
Please use the sharing buttons! Thanks!
Registered or not, will you in your charity please take a moment look at the requests and to pray for the people about whom you read?
Continued from THESE.
I get many requests by email asking for … Continue reading
Congressman Chris Smith: The Big Three Obamacare Abortion Lies of the Year
WASHINGTON, Dec. 30, 2013 — Even as President Obama’s now infamous claim, “[i]f you like your plan you can keep it,” is being recognized as the “Lie of … Continue reading
Sometimes the truth is weirder than fiction.
I saw it first at Newsmax and hunted up the links.
On 30 December atheist editor of La Reppublica, Eugenio Scalfari, wrote in an editorial piece entitled “La Rivoluzione di Francesco – Ha abolito il … Continue reading
We should develop the good habit of gaining indulgences. Holy Church provides many opportunities to gain these spiritual gifts from the treasure of the merits of Christ and the saints.
Keep in mind that in addition to the work to be … Continue reading
From CNSNEWS… I am posting this here because you won’t see it at the National Schismatic Reporter (aka Fishwrap).
Hey! We are still in the Octave of Christmas!
My emphases and comments:
Bishop: Pope ‘Shocked’ By Gay Adoption, ‘Encouraged Me to Speak Out’ … Continue reading
Because of my long involvement with the über-ultra-hyper secret Vatican Vampire Assassin Squad (and I can’t tell you who is assassinating whom!), I was intrigued by the photo sent me by a priest friend of a vampire hunters kit!
An Argentinian Coca-Cola commercial for your consideration.
Let’s have a poll!
Pick your best answer and discuss (if registered and approved) in the combox, below.
If you vote “Stupendous!” or “Blech!”, you had better explain yourselves!
From a reader.
Shortly before the consecration on Sunday, the priest had a fit of coughing, and coughed into his right hand. What should he have done? I was worried about the transmission of germs, and did not go to communion.
That’s … Continue reading
There is a fear among some people with whom I converse that Pope Francis might undercut Roman curial congregations and devolve authority to regional conferences of bishops.
I am all for subsidiarity. That said, some things just don’t work well at … Continue reading
You just never know what you might have in your attic or find in a shop.
Antiques Roadshow discovery: Van Dyck masterpiece bought for just £400 is worth £400,000
A PORTRAIT bought for £400 has been revealed as a long-lost van … Continue reading
With a biretta tip to St. Louis Catholic, who did a good job with this, we should review what we believe as faithful Catholics.
This is the formula that I used when I was admitted to Holy Church as a convert, … Continue reading
Was there a good point in the sermon you heard at Mass this Sunday?
Let us know.
I was sent a link to an interesting site, which shows what once happened in a certain place, then and now. HERE