ADVENTCAzT 06: 1st Friday of Advent – “boogeymen”

This year I will do for Advent what did last year: make a short daily podcast to help your preparation for the upcoming feast as well as for your own, personal, meeting with the Lord.

These are especially offered as a token of gratitude for my benefactors who donate and send items from my wishlist.  Thank you!

And so, here is ADVENTCAzT 06, for the 1st Friday of Advent.

PS: My stat counter for this plug is massively screwed up.  Chime in if you listened.

PPS: I think these are available through my iTunes feed.

This entry was posted in ADVENTCAzT, ADVENTCAzT, Liturgy Science Theatre 3000, PODCAzT and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to ADVENTCAzT 06: 1st Friday of Advent – “boogeymen”

1. Suburbanbanshee says:

Happy St. Nicholas’ Day, Father! Nice podcazt!

Btw, I finally got a chance to research the Spanish phrase “en salida” that the Holy Father uses a ton of. It’s “in transit”, but specifically “outward bound”. They also use it for things like radio signals and car crash reports.

2. SKAY says:

I listened. Thank you, Father.

3. Nathan says:

OK, Father, you got me with this Adventcazt. Not only did you read Pope Benedict’s poignant insights into St Nicholas and Advent, but the Deus qui humanae substantiae!

That prayer is not only poignant because of its clear, dignified, and beautiful linkage of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and the Incarnation (as well as its expression of Divine Mercy and the fire of Divine Love), but because of its suppression in the Ordinary Form.

I’m about halfway through Fr. Jungmann’s The Mass of the Roman Rite and it is striking just how wonderfully the organic development of the Roman Rite of Holy Mass came together. These offertory prayers–late additions to the Roman Missal from the Gallican Rite–wed in a marvelous way the exuberance of the Eastern liturgical tradition (from which the Gallican sprang) and the restraint and dignity of the Roman Rite.

Of course, it takes more dignified Roman restraint than I can currently muster not to keep thinking, just who on earth did Bugnini (and, by extension, Pope Paul VI) think he was to deprive the Latin Church of this treasure?

In Christ,

4. Nathan says:

OK, I really, really need my coffee. I just noticed that the Deus qui humanae substantiae is in fact in the Ordinary Form.

However, the Suscipe, sancte Pater and the Offérimus tibi, Dómine, are suppressed in the Ordinary Form, both of which are treasures of the same worth and of beautiful clarity.

In Christ,

5. Angie Mcs says:

I listen every single day to your Adventcazts. . They are a wonderful way to help pull us away from the secular hoopla. Thank you Father. I will light a candle for you in church this Sunday. [Thanks.]

Happy St, Nicholas Day!

6. Mariana2 says:

Chiming in….

7. Sonshine135 says:

I love St. Nicholas. He is so much more than a jolly fat man and a suit that he is made out to be by the secular world. He is a giant of Christianity and helped clarify the teachings of the holy church all those many years ago.

8. Venerator Sti Lot says:

What a wonderful St. Nicholas’ Day present! Thank you!
    Could you say (again?) where (the translation of) that radio talk script was published?

It is interesting to read when and where in antiquity knew, for example, that Hesper and Vesper were the same body, and were not a star as the ‘fixed stars’, but reflective (I do not know I have discovered the answer to that second one: and I wonder how old the text is that Cardinal Ratzinger quoted!). Of course, that ‘star’ via the O Antiphon “O Oriens” and its Old English free translation are domething very much like the starting point of Tolkien’s Middle-earth (nearly a hundred years ago, now).

An interesting talk on, among other things, ‘Hesper’ and ‘the West’ in the works and thought of Tolkien and other Inklings, “Deep Lies the Sea-Longing”, by Charles Huttar, published in Mythlore in 2007, can be found here:

As to ‘boogyman’, ‘abusus usum non tollit’: St. Nicholas can properly prepare the naughty for repentence, and encourage all in aspiration toward and perseverance in the good. (There is a legend where someone is rather superstitiously using an image of the saint to guard his goods, which get stolen nonetheless, whereupon St. Nicholas confronts the robbers and they return the goods to the rich man, who is converted following these experiences: there is even a sung Latin play version available on CD.)

Following up on Nathan’s comments: for those (like me) with no copy of Fr. Jungmann’s The Mass of the Roman Rite within easy reach, it is worth noting that Fr. Eckhoff’s translation of Pius Parsch’s The Liturgy of the Mass (translated in 1936, published in 1940) is available in the Internet Archive.

9. AngelGuarded says:

I’m chiming in, again. I listen to all the podcasts as well as subscribe via iTunes. Wonderful Father, one of your many gifts is surely your voice and the way you speak so clearly and authentically. Just breathtaking with the beautiful music. You coulda been in broadcasting… Any openings for you over at Relevant Radio? I again asked hopefully. Thank you for ALL you do, Father.

10. wanda says:

Wonderful. Thank you, Fr. Z. Prayers for you.

11. Siculum says:

Chiming in on (one of) my Feast Days.

12. Sword40 says:

All systems working fine, Fr. Z. Thanks for another great podcast!

13. DavidR says:

Continuing to listen, and to pray for you daily. Thank you so much for the selections from Pope Benedict, I never fail to learn something.

14. SophiaGrace says:

Thank you, Father.

15. TKS says:

Thank you, Father.

16. Jerome Vincent says:

Listened — thanks again, Father.

17. lucindatcm says:

Thanks Father! I keep running into the word hope. Perhaps it’s the word of the season?

18. Venerator Sti Lot says:

Something of possible interest I found, looking for something else:

For a good taste of St. Nicholas as celebrated in the Middle Ages, the fourth item has a link to text and translation of the sequence, “Congaudentes exsultemus”, while a link at the bottom of the page leads to a recording of it!

19. Venerator Sti Lot says:

Wow! I just explored the St. Nicholas Center page I linked above, further, and found six generous samples from the late Middle Ages and Renaissance, of which five in Latin, by following the link by the first item (then “Muziek Fragmenten”), and a slew of samples by following the link by the Anonymous 4 Legends of St. Nicholas CD.

20. Pingback: Shaolin, Snow, and Hope | confusionandknitting