LENTCAzT 01: Ash Wednesday

Please use the sharing buttons?  Thanks!

Today is Ash Wednesday.  Spiritual war begins.  ”Discipline” begins.

GO TO CONFESSION!

Today is a day of fast and of abstinence for most of us.

With this audio offering, I continue a series of daily podcasts for Lent.  They are intended to give you a small boost every day, a little encouragement in your own use of this holy season.

I do this, first and foremost, in thanks to my donors.

Some of the music (at the end) was taken from the new Lent CD from the Benedictine nuns in Missouri, the disc Lent at Ephesus.  Buy.  Help nuns.  Simple.

This entry was posted in LENTCAzT, Liturgy Science Theatre 3000, Our Catholic Identity, PODCAzT and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to LENTCAzT 01: Ash Wednesday

1. Mariana2 says:

Thanks, Father!

Saint Sabina is wonderful, well worth having a look at all the details, such as the door, on Wikipedia and other sites. The windows aren’t glass, but selenium.

2. SophiaGrace says:

Thank you, Father. Thank you.

3. jameeka says:

Thank you very much, Fr Z.

4. aecornell says:

This has got me thinking about wanting to go on pilgrimage to Rome for the entirety of Lent and Easter season. Mass every day at the stational churches… wow!

5. Priam1184 says:

I have come to the conclusion that somebody doesn’t want me to hear your podcazts since both the Advent and Lent ones seem universally to stop at the 1:00 mark whether here or on iTunes. Call me completely mystified… Happy Lent everyone. Pax et bonum.

6. Giuseppe says:

I remember in grade school arguing with a nun about why we shouldn’t have to give up something for Lent. In my case, my mother told me that I would give up candy for Lent.
    Sister: “Offer your sufferings up to Jesus on the cross.”
    Me: “But Jesus was only on the cross for a few hours – I have to give up candy for 40 days. It’s not fair. I’ll give up candy for a few hours.”
    Sister: “Jesus gave up food for 40 days. So stop complaining about your candy.”
    Me: (silently walking away, acknowledging defeat)

Needless to say, this nun did not know how to play the guitar…

7. Suburbanbanshee says:

Some typical Lent meals from Mexico. Meatless and even sparing doesn’t have to mean bread and water, particularly if you’ve got growing kids in the house.

8. Salvelinus says:

Good stuff…. Thanks you kind sir!

9. Suburbanbanshee says:

Listened to both Lentcazts today. Very edifying! So were the iBreviary readings… boy, was Isaiah tough!

Empanadas de Vigilia from Argentina.

10. Angie Mcs says:

Perhaps you didnt feel so at the time, but how fortunate people like Giuseppe were, to have such a nun guiding you through school, and through difficult times like Lent. I feel very fortunate to start my day first thing with these beautiful and thoughtful Lentcazt’s. Thank you so much, Father.

Here in Chicago I will drive through yet more mounds of unpredicted snow to get to my church, my refuge, and begin this year’s journey. I wish you all a blessed and peaceful Lent.

11. tmjost says:

Thank you so much! Prayers offered for you, for a holy Lent! Your Lencazt has become a “tradition” in our house for the last few years. With homeschooling, it has become a part of our Lent school each year. It is something we look forward to, and learn from each time we listen. God bless you, Father!

12. Yorkmum says:

Like Priam1184 I can’t seem to listen to this one all the way through. It jumps from 2min 44 sec to the end every time.
    Usually I don’t have a problem listening to your podcasts Fr Z and yesterday’s shrove Tuesday one played perfectly.
    anyone got any ideas what is going wrong?

Thanks

13. Everyone: Sorry about the technical glitch. I have some updating to do of the whole blog and the plugins. But until I have some help with that, we have to limp along.

Downloading may be an option if the player is giving you grief.

14. cmom says:

You wouldn’t happen to have a transcript? I want to add you to my parish page :) on a daily basis. [You may link to the PODCAzTs.]

15. I downloaded the Shrove Tuesday one and still only got part of it.

16. Sonshine135 says:

Thanks again Father. What a great way to supplement my Lenten diet. Less food for the body and more for the soul!

17. Lori Pieper says:

Thanks, Suburbanbanshee! I love Mexican food and am always looking for something fresh for my abstinence day menus.

18. Siculum says:

Thank you, Father Z. Looking forward to more of these.