LENTCAzT 02: Thursday after Ash Wednesday

Please use the sharing buttons?  Thanks!

Today is Thursday after Ash Wednesday.  We are in the “narthex” of Lent.

GO TO CONFESSION!

With this audio offering, I continue a series of daily podcasts for Lent.  They are intended to give you a small boost every day, a little encouragement in your own use of this holy season.

I do this, first and foremost, in thanks to my donors.

PS: Once again, my audio plugin is screwed up.  I hope these are working for you.  And my stats function won’t work either, so I have no idea how many people are listening.  Chime in!

This entry was posted in LENTCAzT, PODCAzT and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to LENTCAzT 02: Thursday after Ash Wednesday

1. excalibur says:

I am listening, thank you Fr. Z.

2. liebemama says:

I read that same sermon from Bl. John Newman yesterday in the Magnificat and it got me then already! Hearing you speak it , even more so. Thank you.

3. Mariana2 says:

Thanks, Father!

4. Anabela says:

Fr. why do some Catholics (on various blogs) say it is not necessary to fast during Lent from certain foods etc or practice penance/mortification of some kind, but instead do good things, works of mercy etc. Surely Lent is a time to mortify the passions in some way as well as doing works of mercy etc. I mean didn’t the children of Fatima perform great penances and they were just children. I am not saying we do the same but why are we hearing from certain sources, things like ‘if you feel you can’t do it’, then change to something else the next day or whatever…take it gently etc etc. I know it is not good to go to extremes either as this can lead to pride but there is a point to penance in Lent surely. What do you recommend ?

5. Facta Non Verba says:

Very good. I like learning about the Roman station churches. Thanks Father Z!

6. AMDeiG says:

Thanks for all of your good work Fr. Z!

For years, never a single problem ever with any of the ___CAzT files. Now 3 in a row are busted. ….ahhh, a simple penance to forego and miss all that could be had after 1:58….

[Try downloading it.]

7. Siculum says:

These continue to be pro-grade stuff. Thank you, Father!

8. APX says:

What’s that hymn right after you talk about St. John Newman? It’s melody sounds like that of the Christmas Carol, “The Friendly Beasts”.

9. liturmatt says:

Thank you Father Z! These help me to reflect on my own sinfulness during Lent.

10. Glennonite says:

Wow! That was brilliant. This one really spoke to me where I am; thank you, thank you, thank you.

11. MaryW says:

Thank you, Father! You are in my daily prayers.

12. Sonshine135 says:

Great Podcast Father. I liked the part about going to your room, clearing your mind, and opening your heart.

13. Yorkmum says:

Yay!
    It worked today.
    and like liebemama I too recognised the quote from Blessed John Henry Newman that I had read in Magnificat yesterday. Was doubly powerful to hear it twice in two days.
    God bless you Fr Z and thank you for these daily reflections

14. cmom says:

Got to 1:34 this time. By Easter I will hear the whole message. Hurray for progress :)

15. Menagerie says:

Thank you Father.

16. Mike says:

Thanks for these, Fr. Z. They come at the end of the day when I desperately need the counsels they contain.

Yesterday I listened to the popup on IE 11. Today, the download using Firefox 27 (which doesn’t let me log in, so I have to come back to IE or Chrome). Each time on top of Windows 7, on different Dell boxes.

17. Listening! Today’s message, blammo! Right between the eyes. And I mean that in the best way.

18. MaryofSharon says:

These LENTCAzT are the first Fr. Z podcasts to which I have ever listened, and I love them. Mourning to be consigned by a variety of circumstances to have little access to truly beautiful live sacred music, the music alone is reason to listen.

But the content is off the charts fantastic! I’ve been having a hard time narrowing down my choice of Lenten meditative reading because it seems that virtually every Catholic web presence out there is offering daily Lenten e-mails or blog posts, etc. and there are dozens of books of Lenten prayers available. I had narrowed it down to two sources, and sure enough both of your meditations today, Blessed John Henry Newman’s and Bishop Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet’s have been in the resources I had chosen to read, so I had actually read and meditated on both of these readings prior to hearing you read them today. I could complain about the redundancy, but my reaction was quite the opposite: It confirmed for me that I had made good choices for Lenten mediation and listening.

As much as I appreciated my quiet meditation on Bossuet’s “Prayer to God in Secret”, I was quite taken by your vocal reading of it. In combination with the trumpets at the end there, it was enough to bring me to tears with a fervent desire to cast aside every vestige of attachment to anything so as to be free to “Run”and “Fly” to the Father, to “break all [my] chains… [and] the bonds that tie [me] to flesh and blood,” and to utterly surrender to the “Light,” “Truth,” “Good,” and “Love.”

What a gift to your readers/listeners!

19. lsclerkin says:

Listened from the blog, here. Like cool, fresh water. Thank you!

I don’t know if it’s proper to post a link here, but I just listened to this,
    Mission on the Four Last Things. If you don’t allow this, I’m sorry. Please forgive me.
    But, This was awesome.

20. Gregg the Obscure says:

Thanks for posting. The plan for the rest of Lent is to download these to the phone and listen over bluetooth while driving to work on normal working days and to listen from home on other days.

21. SophiaGrace says:

Listening! Thank you, Father.

22. Obumbrabit says:

I am listening every day. Thank you Father.