LENTCAzT 05: 1st Sunday of Lent

Please use the sharing buttons?  Thanks!

Today is the 1st Sunday of Lent. We have passed through Lent’s narthex and we are in its body now.

GO TO CONFESSION!

With this audio offering, I continue a series of daily podcasts for Lent.  They are intended to give you a small boost every day, a little encouragement in your own use of this holy season.

I do this, first and foremost, in thanks to my donors.

PS: Once again, my audio plugin is screwed up.  I hope these are working for you.  And my stats function won’t work either, so I have no idea how many people are listening.  Chime in!

This entry was posted in LENTCAzT, Our Catholic Identity, PODCAzT and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to LENTCAzT 05: 1st Sunday of Lent

1. guans says:

“God wishes this struggle (against temptation) to be the price of eternal life” …
    He does not permit us to be tempted beyond our strengths… a special actual grace sufficient to overcome it… and turn to Him in humble, confident prayer.
    Lord, give me the grace to want to overcome temptations.

2. Supertradmum says:

May I add something to your plea for readers to go to Confession? Two things. One, bring up the old sins which keep coming back to one’s mind. I have had much freedom in bringing old things to the light and having good priests talk about the “matter of sin”, that is, the hangover of sins which cause tendencies which much be broken and disappear before we die, or we shall go to purgatory.

Second, go out of one’s way to find a good confessor and not waste time with those liberal priests (too many) who want to talk people out of sins. Finding an excellent confessor may be compared to having steak instead of hamburger for dinner. Those priests I have found most clear and real in the confessional have been Opus Dei priests, or FSSPs.

3. SophiaGrace says:

Listening every day via the plug in. Thank you, Father, for these, for all you do and for your prayers.

4. Makemeaspark says:

Thank you Father. Still praying for your good health, may it spring up speedily

5. LeeF says:

@Supertradmum,

I would appreciate if Father could chime in on the matter of bringing up old sins. Naturally I assume you are not talking about mortal sins one realizes one forgot to mention in the past. For already confessed mortal sins, or for unconfessed venial ones, your admonitions seems like scrupulosity. Of all the times over the years that I have heard someone say a priest was harsh or yelled at them in the confessional, scrupulosity was by far the most common reason for same. It can indicate a lack of trust in God’s forgiveness.

Obviously if we still feel a tendency, which can be partly due to our previous transgressions, that (the tendency) is worth mentioning, as it is a temptation to be fought. But as long as we have confessed rightly in the past we should be at peace. If we are unsure whether some action was mortal or not, obviously a confessor should be consulted, but only once for the same action.

I seem to recall a priest telling me once that when we start repeating sins from previous confessions, or the sins of others, then the recital has gone on too long.

6. Fine talk, as usual. And this time, playing it in the MP3 format, I tried dragging the time indicator button all the way to the end and back as soon as it started playing, and it never stopped once.

7. Vecchio di Londra says:

I hope this is not too many links – but I found some irresistible photos of St John Lateran (today’s Station church) here:
    The facade

The glorious mosaics in the apse

The Apostle alcoves, with (above them) Borromini’s clerestory

The gigantic bronze doors

…And for anyone who would like to hear more of that moving motet played at the end of today’s talk: ‘Peccantem me quotidie’ set by William Byrd (1575)
    )http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8kNK3tlCtY