LENTCAzT 20: Monday 3rd Week of Lent – “there has never been a sad saint”

Please use the sharing buttons?  Thanks!

Today is Monday of the 3rd Sunday Lent.   Our Liturgical Lent has shifted in emphasis.

Examine your consciences and…

GO TO CONFESSION!

With this audio offering, I continue a series of daily podcasts for Lent.  They are intended to give you a small boost every day, a little encouragement in your own use of this holy season.

I persevere in this daily project in thanks to my donors.

My audio plugin is screwed up.  If at first you don’t succeed, try again.  My stats function won’t work either!

Today I use a slice from the fine music of Kevin Allen and Matthew Curtis.

This entry was posted in LENTCAzT, Liturgy Science Theatre 3000, PODCAzT and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to LENTCAzT 20: Monday 3rd Week of Lent – “there has never been a sad saint”

1. makreitzer says:

Isn’t there at least one saint who united with Jesus as the “Man of Sorrows” or took Mary’s seven sorrows so much to heart that he or she had a vocation of sorrow? Of course, you can smile through tears, but I have always loved Jeremiah, the “weeping prophet.” Perhaps it depends on the definition of sadness. One can have a sorrowful heart and still be cheerful on the outside. My mom was like that. No matter her suffering, she was always cheerful. It was a gift she gave her children. All ten of us were always quick to smile.

2. jameeka says:

Thanks, Fr Z. So may good arguments for Eucharistic Adoration.

3. Mike says:

Plugin worked fine on Firefox 28 under Windows 7. Thank you, Father. May the Holy Spirit touch all our hearts with love and desire for Christ Who seeks to unite us with Himself.

4. Vecchio di Londra says:

Thank you again, Father, and for your guide to the apse of St Mark’s.
    So many beautiful Roman churches. I’ve taken to Wikipedia-ing each Lenten day’s Station church, a fascinating cross-section of art, architecture and Church history.

5. Bea says:

Thank you , Father. I knew St. Teresa of Avila had a sense of humor but I was surprised that she danced (in joy).

6. oldCatholigirl says:

Thanks, Father. Praying, and trying to be cheerful.

7. Try as I might, I can’t seem to download these the past two days. They keep stopping after 288 KB. The last two weeks, I could eventually get the whole 4.5 MB or so after four or five shots if I kept trying again, but the demons must have an interest in suppressing these last two.

8. I don’t know why some have problems listening or downloading. I just don’t.

9. Mariana2 says:

No problems listening on the blog, ever. Thanks, Father!

10. I knew a lovely Maltese priest who used to say in his homilies, ‘Sadness is NOT a Christian virtue!’ And I think he was right.

The more gloomy type of person has in the past assured me that we are not told by Scripture if Jesus ever laughed. To which I responded that we are also not told if he ever did certain other perfectly natural functions (and if that’s the case, then no wonder He never laughed …)

Another good Jansenist of my acquaintance likes to assure me that Our Lady told St Bernadette that she did not promise to make her happy in this life, but only in the next. To which I responded, ‘But you’re not St Bernadette, are you?’ I was also very reassured to see that movie The Passion of St Bernadette, which showed that the saint actually had a well-developed sense of humour and of the ridiculous.

Fr Daniel Considine SJ was always very good on these sorts of topics. He was always one for pointing out that Jesus was loved by everyone who met Him. He was NOT a wet blanket or a killjoy, and we have no reason to be this way either, if we want to be like Him.

11. The Masked Chicken says:

“Isn’t there at least one saint who united with Jesus as the “Man of Sorrows” or took Mary’s seven sorrows so much to heart that he or she had a vocation of sorrow?”

Yes, there was such a saint, but his name escapes me (it is somewhere in my reference notes or books at home).

Humor is related to the virtue of hope, so it really belongs in the arsenal of the Christian. Jesus said, “You will find trouble in the world, but be of good cheer, for I have overcome the world.” The saint who never laughed was not sullen. Sullenness implies a loss of hope, which would be in contradiction to the Christian virtue. The saint who never laughed did so as a reflection to the world that Christ suffered for our sins. He did so not because he found life hopeless, but because he wanted to witness to the world that their lives are hopeless without Christ.

On a side note, nowhere in the writings of St. Teresa can I find the quote, “God save us from sullen saints.” I have examined every passage in the Life, the Way of Perfection, the Interior Castle, The Book of Foundations, and the Letters, that uses the word, saints, and I cannot find it. Can anyone help me? I may be writing a book on the theology of humor, someday, and I would like to properly cite the quote. There have been a few other famous supposed quotes of St. Teresa that even the Carmelite friars cannot find the citation for, such as:

Christ has no body now on earth but yours,
    no hands but yours,
    no feet but yours,
    Yours are the eyes through which is to look out
    Christ’s compassion to the world;
    Yours are the feet with which he is to go about doing good;
    Yours are the hands with which he is to bless men now.

The Chicken

12. Bosco says:

Our Lady appeared at LaSallette weeping copiously.

Sister Lucy of Fatima said to Father Fuentes in 1957:

“”Also, Father, tell them that my cousins Francisco and Jacinta made sacrifices because they always saw the Blessed Virgin was very sad in all her apparitions. She never smiled at us. This anguish that we saw in her, caused by offenses to God and the chastisements that threaten sinners, penetrated our souls. And being children, we did not know what measures to devise except to pray and make sacrifices. …”

There are the tears of the Virgin shed at Akita as well. However both Fatima and LaSallette have the endorsement of the entire Church.

Our earthly sojourn is not referred to as a pilgrimage through the ‘Valley of Tears’ without good reason.

Peace.

13. Andrew says:

Philippa Martyr:

Jesus was loved by everyone who met Him

?????

So they got up, forced Jesus out of the city, and led him to the cliff (Lk 4:39)

… and they consulted together to arrest Jesus by treachery and put him to death (matthew 26:4)

He saved others, let him save himself if he is the chosen one (luke 23:35)

They shouted again, “Crucify him.” (marc 15:13)

Sorrow is better than laughter, because when the face is sad the heart grows wiser. (ecclesiastes 7:3)

He … began to feel sorrow (matthew 26:37)

Perish the day on which I was born, the night when they said, “The child is a boy!” (job 3:3)

It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of everyone; the living should take this to heart. (eccl 7:2)

At the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice (Mark 15:34)