LENTCAzT 22: Wednesday 3rd Week of Lent – “Suffering restores order”

Please use the sharing buttons?  Thanks!

Though today is obviously the Feast of the Annunciation, today remains also Tuesday of the 3rd Sunday Lent. We remain in Lent for these LENTCAzTs.  Our Liturgical Lent has shifted in emphasis.

Examine your consciences and…

GO TO CONFESSION!

With this audio offering, I continue a series of daily podcasts for Lent.  They are intended to give you a small boost every day, a little encouragement in your own use of this holy season.

I persevere in this daily project in thanks to my donors.

Since I mention the first community of cloistered Dominican nuns today, I use a piece from the music CD by the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist, Mater Eucharistiae.

Click to Buy

Also, from new CD of music for Lent by the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles.

Finally, I had a dreadful time getting this one published.  I had lots of interruptions, and then, when I was finished, I heard in review an error which I had to correct, which involved slicing and inserting and pasting and adjusting and blending and so forth.  A screen of the making of the sausage.

Finally, my audio plugin had been pretty screwed up for a long time. To make a long story short, I had to do an update of over 800K lines of the database to make it work again, and the update had to be done in small increments. It took months, to sort this.  I can’t tell you what it was like to hit that button for the last time.

Therefore, if these podcasts have been useful, I’ll leave here the tincup and then avert my eyes.

This entry was posted in LENTCAzT, Liturgy Science Theatre 3000, Modern Martyrs, PODCAzT, Saints: Stories & Symbols and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to LENTCAzT 22: Wednesday 3rd Week of Lent – “Suffering restores order”

1. Glennonite says:

Thank you again for these daily words; today’s were both hard and comforting…

2. Facta Non Verba says:

Thank you. I appreciate these LENTCAzT very much. This one starts out mid-sentence, so it took some careful listening to figure out what today’s Roman station church is.

[GRRRRRR….. try it now. Zuhlsdorf’s Law really kicked in with this podcast.]

3. wmeyer says:

As a software designer, I am appalled by the message in that dialog. One can only wonder what would constitute a defect, rather than an inconvenience.

4. wmeyer says: wmeyer says:

Not as appalled as I was. And I discovered that there was no real quick fix.

5. wmeyer says:

Fr. Z, you have my sympathy. As it happens, I am battling DB issues in my own work right now. Update scripts, for some reason, apparently require my local copies of DBs to be on C:, but as that is a limited resource, I have some of them on D:. As the scripts are not within my domain, I am instead launching communications in several directions, hoping for a sensible response….

6. Sonshine135 says:

Listened Father. It sounds great. No mid-sentence break now.

7. acardnal says:

Thank you for these LENTCAzTs. No issue with the ‘player’. It worked fine.

“Sin without punishment would be the worst disorder.” How true.

8. Vecchio di Londra says:

No problems at all today with the Player, for this grateful listener.

9. OrthodoxChick says:

I listened to it earlier this morning when it started part-way through. I just listened again to see if I might catch the beginning that I had missed and it’s working just fine now. Thank you!

10. Fr. Z: “I can’t tell you what it was like to hit that button for the last time.”

If I understand correctly those update statistics correctly, then if you updated only 10 lines at a time at 7.38 seconds per batch, then in order to update about 810 thousand lines, you had to hit that button about 81 thousand times, for a total update execution time of about 166 hours. For instance, with your finger poised over that button for over an hour per day, day in and day out for 5 months. Doesn’t sound possible that you or anyone could endure such a thing. Where am I going wrong? [I could bit by bit increase the increment up to about 800 per click. It still took a long time.]

11. wmeyer says:

It’s one of the real costs of a “free” tool. There is no economic pressure for them to improve this part of it. I wonder what percentage of their users ever have to go through that.

12. eben says:

I’ve experienced no problems with the LENTCAzTs and want to thank you for your diligence in working these up. I’ve also made a small donation to help you to defray costs of the effort although, if the level of frustration you have endured matches that which I sometimes experience when working with software and computers in general, a greater compensation may well be prayer for repair of your tortured psyche.

One thing I’ve done with LENTCAzTs is to look up (google) information for each of the station churches. It has been a beautiful exercise and I’ve found that the retrieving of the information and and the viewing of the pictures of the interiors of these churches, along with listening to your daily missives, helps me go to that interior place of meditation that assists in my daily prayers. Thanks again for all your efforts.

Oh, and BTW, it might interest you and your readers that I’ve never been able to find any pictures of the inside of San Sisto (Vecchio). Information can be found at:

Therein the author relates the following: San Sisto Vecchio is a palaeochristian titular and conventual church at Piazza Numa Pompilio 8 in the modern rione Celio (the historic rione Campitelli). It is also a minor basilica. There is an English Wikipedia article, a stub [1] . (The church’s presence on Wikipedia is poor, and there are no images on Wikimedia Commons apparently.) He also states that: “It should be noted that the cardinalate title is San Sisto, not San Sisto Vecchio.”

13. Patrick-K says:

Father, if you find yourself in a similar situation again, please feel free to send me a message. (I think my email is in my profile.) It should be possible to automate this sort of thing. At my last job I write automated testing scripts for web sites which would be similar.

14. Mike says:

Thank you, Father. (I’ll henceforth spare you the daily details of what feature I used under what browser and operating system. Particular thanks for your perseverance in applying brute force to unsnarl your database problem.)

“Suffering restores order,” indeed. The Crickets, Bobby Fuller, and The Clash were about three centuries behind Bossuet in observing that when one fights the law, the law wins.

15. Mariana2 says:

Thanks Father, most comforting!

Have listened on the blog without any troubles ever.

16. HyacinthClare says:

If “suffering restores order,” it sounds like you’re experiencing a lot of both! I’m enjoying the podcasts very much, every day. I’ve usually been doing taxes a couple of hours before I listen, so it’s a great call back to reality. Thank you!