HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Patrick71: I recommend a visit to the beautiful Cathedral of St. Joseph in downtown Wheeling.
- Fr_Andrew: Being the ossified manualist that I am, might I take one slight issue with what you’ ve said (while not disagreein g with your conclusion ). I would object to taking of stipe...
- excalibur: Am I wrong to have a slight desire that a meteor hit that place in Baltimore when all the USCCB was assembled? Well, yes because some innocent people would have been hit as well. The...
- Uxixu: “Ele cted officials will be answerable to God for their acts and omissions. As will bishops. And cardinals. ” Bingo! Perfectly stated summary and conclusion .
- Uxixu: I like the idea of concelebra tion with the bishop. I detest it in the parish environmen t where all the concelebra nts sit like at my diocesan parish where they have 4 priests and 3 deacons...
- Uxixu: That’ ;s a humble priest. If only he would say it publicly to his parish.
- Discerning Altar Boy: Listening to Dr. Hahn lecture on any topic is no-doubt worth the price of admission alone.
- Semper Gumby: Freedom must constantly be won over for the cause of good. – Benedict XVI Freedom that lacks moral truth becomes its own worst enemy. – George Weigel Why has evil been...
- carndt: Almost done reading,”T he Shadow of His Wings” the true story of Fr. Gereon Goldman, OFM. The miracles of the Triune God is all through this book. A must read. The Church can over come evil...
- Chris Garton-Zavesky: I’m trying to wrap my mind about this: he DEFENDED Pope Francis, and SUPPORTED His Holiness 8217; way of governing by quoting (accidenta lly?) a laicized priest who...
- carndt: Offered to pay for my local pastor to attend. Said he couldn’t attend right now. Some TLM would do him good.
- Geoffrey: “The exchange between Traditiona lism and the Catholic Charismati c Renewal”. Very interestin g.
- arga: Aside from the pope himself and his declaratio ns, nothing has revealed more about the character of this papacy than the sorts of people he has appointed and closely associated himself with.
- Bryan D. Boyle: Wow. To borrow a phrase from our esteemed blog leader “Jus t too Cool” ;.
- KateD: Plagerized or not, the sentiment is just as terrifying !
- Kerry: Oorah!
- veritas vincit: ‘ 221;Maybe it’s because I have never seen a concelebra ted Mass get out of hand, but the image of several priests “doing their own thing” like that just seems off-puttin g...
- Robert_Caritas: “The exchange between Traditiona lism and the Catholic Charismati c Renewal 221; is most definitely where the future is. I have seen this happen in my own life. Both kinds...
- Semper Gumby: [Mary] became, in a literal sense, the unique custodian of divine truth: She carried the Logos in her womb. In her vocation as Mother of God, Mary opens herself to truth’s fruit...
- HvonBlumenthal: Fr, I was reading the latest life of Bugnini and was struck by what a big deal the introducti on of concelebra tion was for all those reformists . Why was it so important to them?...
- ProfKwasniewski: A few articles on this topic that readers might find helpful: http://www .newliturg icalmoveme nt.org/201 4/09/celeb ration-vs- concelebra tion.html# .XQkWK9I2q Uk http://...
- Simon_GNR: Thankfully , concelebra ted Masses are rare in our parish. I don’ t like concelebra tion at all, with several priests cluttering up the space around the altar. I wonder what...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Kevin: Thanks for asking, though this is not really the topic at hand. Remember, we don’ t want to do what was done before simply because that’ ;s how it was done...
- Geoffrey: Maybe it’s because I have never seen a concelebra ted Mass get out of hand, but the image of several priests “doi ng their own thing̶ 1; like that just seems off-puttin g...
- Chuck4247: Thank you @acardnal
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- 15-18 July 2019: East Coast Priest Conference in Wheeling, WV – looks good!
- Fr Rosica, amazing papal claims, and resignations
- Priest apologizes to traditional Catholics: “The future of the Church is in her past.”
- ASK FATHER: Is a concelebrated Mass just one Mass or several Masses?
- NOVENA FOR SEMINARIANS – from Corpus Christi to Sacred Heart, with a Marian Consecration
- A Solemn Mass in Albany in the presence of the bishop. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Thoughts about the change to CCC 2267 on the death penalty
- Chilean priest’s episcopal consecration axed because of some comments
- Canonist Ed Peters eviscerates bishops – one in particular – who won’t apply law
- USCCB meets. They talk about the “nones”. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- New “Chernobyl” TV show and the End Times
- A “Catholic Signal Corps” – Thinking about a Catholic digital future and this blog
- ASK FATHER: Traditional aspergillum or “whisk”?
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Antonio Socci on why Benedict is still Pope and Sam Gregg on the Struggle for Western Civilization
- ASK FATHER: Pipe organs, being expensive, how about manually pumped reed organs?
- ASK FATHER: Alb for a boy’s pretend “Mass” set?
- ASK FATHER: Marital relations after a tubal ligation 22 years ago out of fear of pregnancy
- On a painfully hopeful day, consolation arrives – new icon of Our Lady, Queen of the Clergy
- Wherein Fr. Z reads, rants and prays
- Chief of the Vichy Knights of Malta forbids the Extraordinary Form
- Your Good News
- Cardinals and Bishops issue a “Declaration of Truths” intended to “aid” the Supreme Pontiff
- Octave of Pentecost PODCAzTs
- Great concelebration photos during Chartres Pentecost Pilgrimage
- Your Pentecost Sunday Sermon Notes
- CQ CQ CQ Ham Radio Saturday: DXing and Vatican call sighting, and Vatican Radio LATIN news program
- WDTPRS – Vigil of Pentecost (1962MR): from gerbils to lions
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Sunday: Holy Church’s warp and weft hold true
- “Why should I send somebody in my place to be killed?”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Monthly Archives: June 2014
A reader sent me this. For Corpus Christi, in Austin, the state capital of Texas, there was a Eucharistic Procession from the Cathedral to the Capitol. (You who have English as a second language, or who were born after about … Continue reading
I am delighted at this news I just received via email: I thought you might be interested in learning about the new seminary that will be established presently in the diocese of Fréjus-Toulon by Bishop Dominique Rey, entrusted to the … Continue reading
Did you notice that Pope Francis, for Sts. Peter and Paul, went back to the ordinary modern pallium which all the metropolitan archbishops wear? So, in the space of about 10 years we have seen the longish, archeologizing pallium first … Continue reading
Some of you may have seen what recently transpired in my native place. A Catholic Church, where a friend of mine had been pastor, was closed and then sold to Muslims. It will soon be a mosque. HERE and HERE … Continue reading
Are there any cobblers, leather workers out there? Years ago I inherited a small “wallet” for a pocket stole. I almost always have a stole and oil stock about my person. One use for my spare mag pocket on my … Continue reading
I get lots of mail, some of it supportive, some of it, less than supportive. This one is from an unsatisfied and yet cowardly, anonymous reader using a fake email address. Why do you insist on covering up for all … Continue reading
Was there a good point that you heard in your Sunday homily? Let us know.
The Holy Father had an interview with the Italian daily Il Messaggero. It isn’t all that revelatory and I suspect that not too many people will be excited about it. There is little more statism in it. One thing to … Continue reading
For those of you in striking distance of Madison, WI…. On Sunday, the Feast of Sts. Peter and Paul, there will be a Pontifical Mass at the Throne celebrated by His Excellency Most Rev. Robert C. Morlino, Bishop of Madison. … Continue reading
I haven’t been doing much interesting cooking, I’m afraid. I have, however, done a couple things that might be of interest. Not too long ago, I made supper for myself and a priest friend, pan-fried steaks, sautéed mushrooms, and sauce Béarnaise from … Continue reading
Many media outlets (e.g. NYT, NRO, Rod Dreher), are noticing the plight of the people of Holy Innocents Church in midtown Manhattan’s reviving Garment District. There is now a good article at the National Catholic Register about Holy Innocents, though … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: While vesting for Mass, a member of the clergy (at least in the EF; the priests I know do it for OF too) will say a set of prayers as he is putting the different vestments … Continue reading
By now you will have heard that Jozef Wesolowski, an Archbishop and the former Nuncio to the Dominican Republic, has been laicized. It is not known exactly where he is at the moment, I believe. When the Holy See heard … Continue reading
The Fishwrap (aka National Schismatic Reporter) is having a spittle-flecked nutty about the upcoming Synod’s Instrumentum Laboris. Ho hum. They are, I think, afraid that the Synod is not going to relax the “rules” (read: doctrine) about Communion for the remarried without declarations … Continue reading
Even the New York Times (usually aka Hell’s Bible… but not today!) has taken notice of what is going on in New York City with the parish of Holy Innocents in midtown Manhattan’s Garment District. My emphases. I would post … Continue reading