Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: hwriggles4 says: Archdioces e for the Military Services Funny you should mention that. I’m meeting someone tonight for supper (if I ever get there).
- hwriggles4: Fr Z: It may take longer to get to DCA or BWI from either MSP or DTW, but I am sure you have your kindle and other paperwork for your parish, and I know you do your prayers daily. You...
- rcg: I remember when you had to *be* somebody to have one of those big, unblinking eyes ringed in fire. Now everybody can have one.
- RJBennett: I live in Germany, and I recently asked the pastor of my local parish f he would consider saying a Traditiona l Latin Mass. His response was, “Do you want us to go BACKWAR...
- Mike: Delta is up to its antics… My sincere empathy. I’ve long since become accustomed to regarding the airline oligopoly as the “inv isible hand of the free marketR 21; smacking us...
- frjim4321: I’ve heard made-up words of absolution . I think it’s a disservice . I’m always careful to pronounce the words correctly. It could be argued that some of the illicit...
- TonyO: I have had this exact experience happen, and I too wondered what is the best thing to do. Obviously if there is a pause in what Fr. is saying as advice, you have that opportunit y to speak...
- Andrew: Kathleen10 Yes, indeed. In those days, when a speech was given in public on the occasion of such a celebratio n, they still used Latin: which, I presume, was understood , if not by all,...
- daughteroflight: For curious people who want to find their territoria l parish, some (not all) dioceses in the USA actually have a parish search function on their website which also displays the...
- Kathleen10: The distance between planet earth and the sun seems shorter than the distance between the men in Rome of that time and the specimens we have now.
- Joe in Canada: A midwinter thaw? You cited a Jesuit, favorably!
- LarryW2LJ: “I recommend not suddenly shouting, “WAIT! THERE’S MORE!”R 21; Yes … 230;. it’s NEVER a good idea to give Father a heart attack!
- TonyO: GordonB, there can be an appearance of the same kind of “car ping” ; about how it “is& #8221; or “is not” obedience to the authority of the Teachers. I propose...
- padredana: What about the old formula in the vernacular ? My understand ing is that since Summorum Pontificum allows the use of the books in use in 1962, and in 1961 in the United States the use of...
- teomatteo: Also please note that a fundraiser will begin immediatel y after the mass (for a new roof!)
- Fr_Sotelo: The videos of Bishop Schneider are very impressive for his ability to articulate the crisis in the Church, maintainin g still his serene trust in Divine Providence and in the indefec...
- Imrahil: Of course, this “sou nds a lot like the SSPX” ;. The thing is, as far as the possibilit y of error by the Magisteriu m (acting below the level of infallibil ity) and the non-a...
- aiello01: Recovering New Testament Christiani ty would be more useful. [It wasn’ ;t “los t”. It’s with us now. We live it now. This is a false road. Christiani ty by defini...
- ChiaraDiAssisi: I’m not so sure someone with a scrupulous conscience would wait for an answer here in this forum. I guess it is possible but scrupulous ly usually produces a very unholy...
- APX: As someone with a terrible memory that has a tendency to go blank, I strongly recommend writing out one’ s sins. Not only will it keep you from forgetting them, but it will speed up the...
- bushboar: There̵ 7;s no such thing as a “sam e sex spouseR 21; so there̵ 7;s no danger of scandal. Problem solved!
- GordonB: Not to split hairs, but this sounds remarkably alike to what I understand (though perhaps my understand ing is wrong) the Society of St. Pius X says when raising concerns about certain...
- ChrisP: Prof Lawler and Salzman need to take a undergrad, simpletons course in the Creighton fertility method and ancillary NaPro Technology . It will avail their Nazgul like minds of true sexual...
- JMody: Cardinal Müller is a definite treasure. Such a shame that he is no longer running CDF. I was struck by two things reading this: 1. In his exposition on the question of obedience and absol...
- stephen c: I never believed that Pius XII was as helpful as his detractors say he was to the evil and violent politician s of his day. So, I have not prayed for him the way I pray for our poor...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Big Business Is WATCHING!
- My View For Awhile: March For Life 2018 Edition
- “The Triumph of Marcantonio Colonna” described
- ASK FATHER: Would anything prevent a priest from always using the traditional formula of absolution?
- 2 Feb – MADISON – Candlemas – Pontifical Mass at the Throne
- Card. Müller on authority of Popes, possibility of others correcting contradictory papal teachings
- ASK FATHER: If I remember a sin after confessing, should I interrupt the priest and tell him?
- Slithery misdirection from the National Sodomitical Reporter: Bishops who avoid scandal commit scandal
- An Armenian bishop “ordains” a deaconette
- Two seriously ugly signs of the times involving papal honors and the silencing of bells
- BOOK RECEIVED about Martin Luther (not King but by “King”)
- ASK FATHER: How do I find out which territorial parish I live in?
- Who cares what libs think? Boldly recover and use great traditional items and vesture of yore.
- ASK FATHER: If I confess to watching porn, must I say it was homosexual porn?
- ACTION ITEM! Petition against removal of historic Cross where Fr. Marquette died
- ASK FATHER: We want our children to have reverent Masses. Can we go to the SSPX chapel?
- VIDEO Bp. Athanasius Schneider interview about “Amoris laetitia” Controversy
- ASK FATHER: Should I tell a noisy penitent that we can hear everything said in the confessional?
- Observing the Feast of the Ass – 14 January
- A false #missilethreat is NOTHING compared to this REAL DEATH THREAT
- 14 Jan – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Fr. Murray on EWTN with outstanding commentary on recent developments
- Wherein Fr. Z comments on a @RorateCaeli post about priests, permissions and exorcism prayers. Then @fatherz rants.
- Wherein @MassimoFaggioli tosses another nastygram at the “rigorist” straw man
- ASK FATHER: URGENT EMERGENCY PREDICAMENT! Mass in Presence of a Prelate but we don’t have a Pax Brede!
- How bad is the situation of vocations to the priesthood tragic Germany?
- Esolen on virtue and chastity in “Wonder Woman” (not the one you immediately thought of)
- DISGUSTING LBGT story reveals something about homosexualist agenda in the Church. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Irish “Mass Path”, for secret worship, mapped and photographed (and some BOOKS)
- ASK FATHER: SSPX or Diocesan TLM – It is an “undue burden” to have to wait 3.5 hours?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Monthly Archives: June 2014
From a reader…
Father, our parish priest is a good man, well versed in Scripture, in the encyclicals. He is also charismatic.
However, his preaching is dreadful. He uses the homily as an opportunity to teach and goes on far too long. … Continue reading
Today, the Feast of the Sacred Heart, the faithful can gain a plenary indulgence by the public recitation of Iesu dulcissime (Act of Reparation) (Ench. Indulg., al. conc., 3). All other recitations gain a partial indulgence.
Priests and Bishops! Have PUBLIC … Continue reading
I am in Chicago… well… north of Chicago.
Yesterday, I visited for the first time the campus of Mundelein Seminary, the University of St. Mary of (by?) the Lake. As part of the visit I was able to see some of … Continue reading
I saw a post at a Lutheran blog calling for – wait for it – more Latin in their liturgy.
As a convert to Holy Mother Church from Lutheranism, I found this pretty interesting. I am aware that there exists a … Continue reading
I just heard that the Supreme Court of the United States, in a unanimous decision, struck down “buffer zones” around the clinical profit centers of big-business abortion.
I also heard that SCOTUS found that Pres. Obama’s so-called recess appointments to the … Continue reading
The Archbishop of Toronto, His Eminence Thomas Card. Collins has said something that I have been hammering at for years. HERE
It is NOT obligatory to receive Communion at Mass.
Also, people who may not receive Communion are STILL OBLIGED to attend … Continue reading
His Holiness Pope Francis said during his last Wednesday audience before the summer break that those who believe that they can have a relationship with Jesus outside the Church are on a harmful and dangerous path.
From AsiaNews, which has more … Continue reading
What a cheery day.
I direct the attention of the readership to this piece from the aptly-named Crisis:
Marginalizing Catholic Teaching One Grant at a Time
George Soros’ Open Society Institute is most often blamed for attempting to neutralize the abortion issue for Catholics … Continue reading
I turn to my email and find a link to a piece by the Vaticanista Marco Tosatti who writes for La Stampa. He drills into the travails of the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate. HERE (My translation)
In sum, in the … Continue reading
I want one of these!
(Sorry about the awful music. Watch anyway, to the end.)
Keep a couple of those in a Faraday cage, against the day.
Do you have some good news to share with the readers?
Let us know what it is.
Tom Fox of the National Schismatic Reporter (aka The Fishwrap) posted about a group of priests who just met in St. Louis.
A friend sent an email with the link and the comment:
I believe that this defines the words “irrelevant”, “inconsequential” … Continue reading
I received this from Jennifer Morse, from the Ruth Institute, whom I saw again during Acton U.
We now have a special blog called Kids Divorce Stories where people can go and write anonymously. about their experiences. I posted a link to … Continue reading
His Excellency Most Rev. Thomas Paprocki of Springfield in Illinois, who is not afraid to use exorcisms, has issued a pastoral letter called Ars celebrandi et adorandi… The art of celebrating and worshiping. He has taken his title, surely, from … Continue reading