31 July: St. Ignatius of Loyola – Of the Church Militant and book shredding

Here is the Martyrologium Romanum entry for this great saint and founder of the Society of Jesus. (To the right is my first class relic of St. Ignatius).

Memoria sancti Ignatii de Loyola, presbyteri, qui, hispanus in Cantabria natus, in aula regia et militia vitam egit, donec, post grave vulnus acceptum ad Deum conversus, Lutetiae Parisiorum studia theologica complevit et primos socios sibi ascivit, quos postea in Societatem Iesu Romae constituit, ubi ipse fructuosum exercuit ministerium et in operis conscribendis et in discipulis instituendis, ad maiorem Dei gloriam.

This morning Holy Mass was celebrated in the presence of a 1st class relic of the saint.

Here is the spiffy Collect from 1962 edition of the Missale Romanum:

COLLECT (1962MR)

Deus, qui ad maiorem tui nominis gloriam propagandam, novo per beatum Ignatium subsidio militantem Ecclesiam roborasti: concede; ut, eius auxilio et imitatione certantes in terris, coronari cum ipso mereamur in caelis.

LITERAL VERSION

O God, who strengthened the Church militant with a new reinforcement through blessed Ignatius, in order to spread widely the greater glory of Your Name, grant that we, who are contending on earth by his help and example, may deserve to be crowned with him in heaven.

The Novus Ordo Collect for Ignatius was weenied-down, I think:

COLLECT (2002MR)
Deus, qui ad maiorem tui nominis gloriam propagandam
beatum Ignatium in Ecclesia tua suscitasti,
concede, ut, eius auxilio et imitatione certantes in terris,
coronari cum ipso meramur in caelis.

Notice anything missing??

Let’s have your perfect renderings of the prayers.

Here is a shot of the altar and tomb of the saint in the Church called the Gesù in the heart of Rome.

Now that’s an altar.  Church architecture reflects the Church’s understanding of her own identity.  Each era has a different expression.  Compare and contrast.

To the right and near the bottom, along where the Communion rails were until recently, are allegorical statues of faith. They are among my favorites in Rome.  Angels tear up the books of the heretics Luther and Calvin.  When the statues were cleaned, the Jesuits, craven gits, extracted the bronze letters of the authors names and ripped out the rails.

Were these statues to have experienced a true aggiornamento, they’d be tearing up The Pill and the Fishwrap, though I admit there are many other candidates.

31 July: St. Ignatius of Loyola – Of the Church Militant and book shredding
0 votes, 0.00 avg. rating (0% score)

This entry was posted in Saints: Stories & Symbols, WDTPRS and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to 31 July: St. Ignatius of Loyola – Of the Church Militant and book shredding

1. David in T.O. says:

Once again, no “Church Militant.”

Perhaps political correctness began with us!

2. Tom in NY says:

“The memorial of St. Ignatius of Loyola, a priest. He was born a Spaniard in Cantabria and lived a life in the royal court and the army. Then, after receiving a critical wound, he was converted to God. He completed theological studies in Paris, France and assembled his first companions, which he later constituted in Rome as the Society of Jesus. There, he himself took on a fruitful ministry both in completing works and instructing students, for the greater glory of God. ”
    Patribus S. I. gratias persolvo, qui litteras Latinas et Graecas mihi dederunt.
    Salutationes omnibus.

3. HyacinthClare says:

I found “gits” in a dictionary! “Craven or contemptible person”. I don’t remember… is that a word from the Aubrey-Maturin books?

4. Mike says:

Notice anything missing??

I’d have been surprised if there had remained a reference to the Church Militant in the Novus Ordo version of that Collect. For all the vaunted Scriptural rediscovery of the post-Vatican II church, we are doing a mighty poor job of inculcating Ephesians 6:10-17, perhaps because the previous chapter and a half of that Epistle have so bruised our delicate modern sensibilities as to deaden our awareness of the perils of the world, the flesh and the devil.

5. yatzer says:

HyacinthClare: It’s more a word from the British Isles, although I’m beginning to hear it now and then in the US.

6. Priam1184 says:

I wandered into the Gesu almost by mistake on my last trip to Rome and wow! What an incredible bit of sacred architecture. Just stunning. Strange that we are not allowed to build churches in that style anymore. When will these modernist fools open their eyes?

7. Sid Cundiff in NC says:

Thanks, Fr. Z, for this. I love the Gesù – with all its painting, sculpture, and moldings — a riot of color and motion. And ironically a church with so much visual splendor honors a word, The NAME.

I actually think these Baroque churches in Rome are even more glorious:
    – Sant’Andrea della Valle (della Porta – the architect of the Gesù)
    – Sant’Ivo alla Sapienza (Borromini)
    — San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane (Borromini)
    — Sant’Andrea al Quirinale (Bernini)
    — Santa Maria in Campitelli – my very favorite (Rainaldi)

— and San Ignazio has the 2nd best ceiling in Rome! Point line perspective pushed to its limit. It looks as if the roof were opened up!

What I myself notice missing is the statue of the saint, once in front of the painting on the altar of his tomb. I was told several years ago that the statue was being cleaned. It still must be in the process of being cleaned, as of last April.

8. vetusta ecclesia says:

What the SJs did in reordering the Gesu reflects their loss of the original uncompromising spirit of their mission.

9. jdskyles says:

I was at this church when I was in Rome last November. Unfortunately, they still have a crappy modernist peoples’ altar and assorted accoutrements that sully the beauty of the rest of the church.

10. M. K. says:

The Jesuit church in Cusco, Peru (another Baroque gem) features a large mural with St. Ignatius standing on the heads of Calvin, Luther, Jan Hus, John Wyclif, and others – and happily the names are all still there.

11. jaykay says:

Oh dear! “Roborasti”, with all its military connotations of strengthening (and I’m thinking here of Horace’s “illi robor et aes triplex”) replaced by a milksop “suscitasti” = “helped along” or something along those lines. Yeah. ‘Nuff said. “Git”, btw, is a mildly insulting (at least by the standards of these days) term used over here in Britain and Ireland, to describe, erm, curmudgeons, usually of an older generation.

12. JARay says:

HyacinthClare. The word “git” is certainly of British origin, as am I. I have known and used it for many years now. It is part of the word ille’git’imate, or bastard and that is its origin.
    I was in Rome in January and I went with a group on a tour of the “Gesu” and the rooms of St. Ignatius which are next door. Amongst the relics there is the chasuble which he was buried in (a white one). It was removed from his body when it was exhumed at the time just preceding his beatification. It is now in a glass case and his private chapel is in the next room.

13. pberginjr says:

It’s hard to imagine that S. Ignatius, soldier that he was, would have approved of such a de-militarization of his Collect (or the books with the statues, or his company).

14. Venerator Sti Lot says:

jaykay (and other better Latinists then myself),

Is the metaphorical sense of ‘suscitare’ so antique, or something, as not to be active here? The first dictionary I checked notes the examples ‘suscitare viros in arma’ and ‘suscitare bellum’, and the example ‘suscitare ignes amoris’ could imaginably have a sacred sense – also in the context of psychomachia.

And how martial a ring does ‘certantes’ tend to have?

Something else I was wondering about was how ‘knightly’ a ring words like “militia” and even “militantem” would have had in the mid-15th to early-16th centuries – and after. ‘Miles’ was, after all, throughout the Middle Ages the living Latin word corresponding to ‘knight’, ‘Ritter’, ‘caballero’, etc.

15. JARay says:

I do hope that Fr. Z will allow me to add just a little more following the use of the word “git”. It does indeed come from the word illegitimate and I followed that with “bastard”. Now here in Australia, the word “bastard” is not necessarily insulting. Although its use is now diminishing, it was often a friendly greeting between male friends, as in “How are ye, y’old bastard?”. It was never used that way in Britain but it was used that way here in Australia. Hence, I would say, that the use of “Git” is not a strong insult, even though it is the calling of someone, as a bastard!

16. Boniface says:

Dear Sid,

The statue of St Ignatius is indeed there above the tomb, behind the painting. They have it rigged for a little “show” most evenings when they play a recording of prayers written by St. Ignatius along with baroque music, at the end of which the painting is mechanically lifted to reveal the statue.