Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- bourgja: Padredana, technicall y the Discalced Carmelite Order switched from the Carmelite Rite to the Roman Rite in the 1500s, so in 1962 they would not have used the Carmelite Rite. There is, of...
- KateD: Ah, yes! I remember the days when the TLM was only 50 miles away… ;… Presently, the nearest Latin Mass is 160 miles away. But we are infinitely grateful for an excellent priest...
- cwillia1: Re: Psalm 137(136) daughter Babylon is a dusty ruin and there are no babies to dash against the rock. In the pre-Lent period the Byzantine rite uses this psalm as a preparatio n for the...
- mo7: So if you happened to wander into St FX that day, what would̵ 7;ve been the proper response to the request to WAVE? I suspect that a refusal to participat e is not enough.
- Ave Maria: I noted the numbers of the Psalms and will take a close look at them. I doubt the sin-nods will be cancelled as they are part of the current agenda to change/des troy the Church. It goes...
- Kerry: The See of plastic straws?
- teomatteo: I will pray that PF cancels it. That the participan ts find that they cant attend and if those things are not God’ s will then that Archbsp Chaput attends -kicks some preverb...
- Elizabeth D: I’m going to dissent a littleR 11;though not that Christ has won the victory! That is the essential thing. I think sin does result in various wounds that do not simply heal...
- irishromancatholic: The Rosary, The Rosary, The Rosary is the constant exhortatio n by the Mother of God and recent holy men such as Padre Pio. The great Pope Leo XIII who could be dubbed “The...
- AveMariaGratiaPlena: Battle scars — fantastic! Thank you to the author of that letter.
- AveMariaGratiaPlena: @MrsMacD thank you for that suggestion . Speaking of liturgy, we recently moved to an area where there’s no FSSP parish (a group of us is working on it) and the one young...
- AveMariaGratiaPlena: Is there a good explanatio n somewhere of what exactly “soul-kill ing hatred” or gravely sinful hatred is? I do have a temper and regularly get angry (which I confess), but I...
- JesusFreak84: The Vatican 217;s intelligen ce apparatus is not insignific ant: https://ww w.churchmi litant.com /news/arti cle/santa- alleanza-t he-vatican -intellige nce-servic e And that...
- Suburbanbanshee: Starting a document with banal language, and including a lot of mindless filler, is a great bureaucrat ic way to ensure that most people ignore the good stuff further in.
- Unwilling: Defend the Holy Synod from the machinatio ns of the Evil One.
- Mary of Carmel: My parents left the Church when I was nine. I got involved in sorts of sinful stuff including practicing the occult and new age stuff and did so for over 25 years. Came back to the...
- Lurker 59: One of the things that frustrate me to no end is those in high places, who not content with doing the rather simple job of preaching Christ crucified, decided to opine at ponder...
- Charles E Flynn: The next question Father Z will confront: Is it morally licit to play the numbers of the previously -somewhat- obscure-si nce 1962 maledictor y psalms in my state̵ 7;s lottery?
- Sawyer: Can you imagine what tremendous benefits would have accrued to the Church to have Fr. Rutler as a bishop or even the pope?
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: Dear Quovadis, I assume that you are looking for the English translatio n of the Propers of Dominican saints to use with the English Liturgy of the Hours. It is publis...
- Elizabeth D: Um okay, so we know how you feel about “Mor os” and apparently the same sentiments about Jews?? A Christian cannot have this mentality. Israel is the covenant bride of God;...
- excalibur: OT Heads up, Father Z, you may want to read this. Cardinal Cupich goes after a priest, a man who is a survivor of sexual abuse, including by a priest. Prayers for Father Kalchik. https...
- Matamoros: As I recall, this is the same Card. Müller who railed against Bp. Williamson , refused him to say mass in his diocese and stated that anyone who was against the judaizatio n of the...
- Elizabeth D: Maybe I’m the only person here who owns a printed copy of that document “Gui delines for the pastoral care of the road” ;. I have a Catholic Truth Society edition of...
- richiedel: Fr. MartinR 17;s biblical illiteracy is so glaring, it should disqualify him from having any sense of influence in matters Catholic, let alone Christian. The premise that fasting...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: Should we pray for or against the success of the Synod?
- What passes for important today.
- YOU are other people. It’s always someone else… until it’s YOU.
- ASK FATHER: Are we are in the End Times?
- Fr. Murray’s Open Letter to ex-Card. McCarrick. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Cri de Coeur about lost innocence and The Present Crisis
- Card. Müller: “the real danger to today’s humanity is the greenhouse gases of sin and the global warming of unbelief”
- Thoughts on fatherhood and how priestly identity is undercut by short terms as pastors
- More Jesuit idiocy – BUT WAIT! There’s more!
- Henry Sire: “Archbishop Viganò is now living in fear of his life, quite literally.”
- One Mad Mom spanks James Martin, LGBTSJ
- ASK FATHER: Can a Dominican Tertiary priest use the Dominican Rite?
- Lay Rage in Chicago, Mary Eberstadt takes names, and Fr. Z rants
- There are more than one “lavender mafia”
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS – 17th Sunday after Pentecost: diabolical contagion
- We are all, I think, striving to understand how we got to the point where we are.
- ASK FATHER: What should we do for Ember Days?
- UPDATED – ACTION ITEM! 10 year old’s fundraiser for a Pregnancy Care Center
- At end of youth meeting, no Apostolic Benediction from Francis.
- Francis to clergy, seminarians, religion in Palermo: “Clericalism… one of the most difficult perversions”
- UPDATE: 15 Sept: Seven Sorrows of Mary, Mater Dolorosa, Queen of Martyrs – Queen of Clergy
- @BishopZubik announces traditional practices for @DioPitt
- Bits and pieces
- WDTPRS – 24th Ordinary Sunday: Does it make any difference to offer prayers to God?
- Videos and hi-res photos of the Consecration of the Abbey and Abbess of Gower
- UPDATED Mary, Queen of the Clergy holy cards with Daily Prayer for Priests – AVAILABLE!
- Of Friday and festive penitential Pesto fit for a King
- BOOKS RECEIVED: A hard look at Francis in Spanish by Argentinian author
- 14 Sept: 11th Anniversary of Summorum Pontificum – Thank you, Benedict XVI!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: October 2014
From the Handbook of Indulgences
Visiting a Church or an Oratory on All Souls Day
A plenary (“full”) indulgence, which is applicable only to the souls in Purgatory is granted to the Christian faithful who devoutly visit a church or an oratory … Continue reading
First, my I say that I dislike airports?
Last night I met friends for a session of the Society for the Preservation of Chinese Restaurants In Rome. It had been a while since we had convoked the SPCRR. We inducted … Continue reading
The final version of the Relatio Synodi of the III Extraordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops: “Pastoral Challenges to the Family in the Context of Evangelization” earlier in October is available now, in English, on the Vatican website. HERE
Keep in … Continue reading
Iwo Jima – 7000 killed, 20,000 wounded, probably included some of these men.
This is some footage of a Mass on board LST-782, a Landing Ship – Tank.
Note the movement of the ship.
It was Mardis Gras that day. One week later the … Continue reading
We had Mass for the pilgrimage group last night at St. Cecilia and then had supper at a humble spot in Trastevere. It wasn’t much, as far as the food scene is concerned but it was a slice of life … Continue reading
From a reader…
In NYC St Francis of Assisi on 10/28/14 I went to confession. In the middle of the area that one waits on line for confession is a solid-metal 3-ft high donation box with the laminated sign that requests donations in “gratitude … Continue reading
I was sent this:
regarding your post on All Souls Sunday, here’s from the Ordo Missae Celebrandae et Divini oficii persolvendi secundum Calendarium Romanum generale pro anno liturgico 2014-2015 iuxta editionem III typicam Missalis Romani:
Viol. vel Nig.
IN COMMEMORATIONE OMNIUM FIDELIUM … Continue reading
At Amerika there is an interview with Francis Card. George, the out-going Archbishop of Chicago. Among the various questions put to him, this one, with the answer caught my special attention.
My emphases and comments:
You were prominent in the work … Continue reading
It is hard to imagine that we live in a world in which this is possible, but we do.
I think everyone should take a time each day not only to make a good examination of conscience, but also to contemplate … Continue reading
This mornings breakfast of champions. You can’t always have a cornetto. Pizza bianca and mortadella. Yum. Just enough salt.
It was time to look for those time pieces. Off I went to Santa Maria degli Angeli, built into the ruins of … Continue reading
So… Card. Müller of the CDF meets with SSPX Bp. Fellay. Some positive things are said after their meeting.
Then, Bp. Semeraro of Albano, where the SSPX HQ of Italy is, issues a Notification to warn people off from approaching SSPX … Continue reading
From a reader…
Our parish has a 1 year ordained assoc pastor trained in TLM and would love to say it. Pastor is 62, new to us, would probably have a stroke if assoc pastor said TLM. How can I help(not … Continue reading
I don’t have that app. But… wow.
From a reader…
Are spiritual relationships hindrances to marriages? For example, can a confirmand marry their sponsor? Can the children of godparents marry the godparents’ godchild?
An excellent question.
St. Thomas Aquinas spoke of spiritual affinity and the impediment it created in Question 56 of … Continue reading