Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- robtbrown: Why is McCarrick still a Cardinal?
- robtbrown: At KU I enrolled in a course in Ancient Philosophy taught by a man who was neither Christian nor Jew. When he was speaking about the Sophists, he said they were the sociologis ts of...
- HvonBlumenthal: Would it not help if clergy were required to wear proper cassocks at all times? An SSPX priest of my acquaintan ce tells me it is a remarkably effective aid to staying on the...
- Imrahil: Well, dear Geoffrey, I think you did receive the minor order of acolyte (though not the order of subdeacon) ; the difference is that Church law draws the line between a cleric and a...
- Paul of St Paul: The Rod Dreher story and another of his I found in his twitter feed, + his readerR 17;s comments have opened mine eyes. A man like that could become a prince of the church. And...
- HvonBlumenthal: If the Pope has forgotten that he received a letter, it will not be the first time. Remember Barros?
- stephen c: Well …. the forsaken pagans of Ireland voted for a system where the war between people who want fetuses dead upon demand, on the one side, and on the other side people who want the...
- trespinos: Another military force, another academy, the students of which institutio n will be known as space cadets. (h/t to the droll tweeter whose name I wish I could remember)
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: Silence implies consent?
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Heterodoxy is a huge red flag. If a priest publicly dissents from the moral law, why should we be surprised to find him failing to conform his life to that same law that he...
- restoration: Hmmm… ;ordained by Cardinal Spellman in 1958. Who wants to bet that Uncle Ted’ s homosexual ity goes all the way back to at least the beginning of his priesthood ? If he was...
- byzantinesteve: I remember that Cardinal Mccarrick was one of the original authors/si gners of the Land O Lakes Statement. He set out to destroy (and succeeded) Catholic higher education in this...
- Charles E Flynn: @Teomatteo : https://ww w.reddit.c om/r/Stanl eyKubrick/ comments/1 n5d2a/a11_ work_and_n o_play_by_ mark_engle rt/ For the record, the talented artist does not believe in this...
- Charles E Flynn: I am waiting to see if anything special happens on day 666.
- richiedel: Dear Anita Moore, T.O.P., I was going to respond to your comment by not responding to it and so prove your point, but then I thought you might think I was ignoring you, but then I...
- Eric: Every bishop that knew and did nothing should resign or be forced to do so. Semi-Chile an Protocol. On the bright side of things, the SSPX is ordaining strong orthodox men today in Virgin...
- Fr. Kelly: Keep praying for Fr. Phillips. As the memo says: We now prayerfull y await the response of His Eminence, Blase Cardinal Cupich, Archbishop of Chicago, for the return of our pastor. Pray...
- MrsMacD: Yay! My heart rejoices. Something told me that it was a wicked injustice. Blessed be God. St. Joseph please pray for Father McCrae. Don’ t forget your priests O Lord, you are all...
- VP: While the priests are made out to be the monsters, the bishops as a group, so many of whom are sexually or otherwise corrupted, are now the real problem. And if the bishops have to sacrif...
- teomatteo: I wouldnR 17;t trust the leadership in the Vatican with my guppy. River or no river.
- Dimitri_Cavalli: Forgot the link, http://dig italarchiv e.wilsonce nter.org/d ocument/11 0705
- Dimitri_Cavalli: The Soviet defector and KGB archivist Vasili Mitrokhin made handwritte n copies and summaries of thousands of documents. A big one is posted online at the Wilson Center Digital...
- The Astronomer: I grew up and then worked for the U.S. Government in Central NJ when “Unc le Ted” held high ecclesial office here. It was an open secret among heterosexu al, orthodox RC...
- Kenneth Wolfe: Father Kelly — When speaking of who may serve as subdeacon at a Missa Solemnis, I don’ t believe there are many people who would interpret “par ticular appropriat e...
- Kenneth Wolfe: “Why were so many journalist s willing to let the rumors go unexplored ?” Ditto for Newark Cardinal “Nig hty Night, Baby. I love you.” ; Has anyone in the...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Concerning Card. McCarrick
- URGENT UPDATE – Fr. Phillips EXONERATED! UPDATED!
- Dubious dubia about the Dubia
- JUST TOO COOL: SPACE FORCE!
- ASK FATHER: What can the acolyte do and wear?
- Day 1 #ActonU – Getting Started – Days and Deaths
- “Disinformation” and some notes about the World Council of Churches
- Catholic? Why?
- “Perdonamose!” Midsummer Snails, John’s Birthday Feast and You.
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: The South
- Pres. Trump and the Brown Scapular
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Pentecost: “HEY YOU!” *smack*
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Surprise article at Commonweal about participation in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Speaking of Eucharistic Processions…
- WDTPRS: 11th Ordinary Sunday – ‘firmness’ and ‘infirmity, ‘intention’ and ‘action’
- QUIZ: What is this thing? – SOLVED!
- “The finest rosaries I have ever seen” have… returned! – UPDATES
- GREEN! Photos of green vestments for Solemn Mass in production, and a pitch
- 14 June – Elisha, Old Testament Prophet: salt, bears and you.
- READER FEEDBACK to post: Why we Say The Black and Do The Red
- ASK FATHER: Validity of sacraments from a schismatic priest
- A great restoration @CathedralStPaul
- Terrific photos of traditional rite ordination in England!
- Concerning @JamesMartinSJ talking at Vatican @LaityFamilyLife sponsored @WMOF2018
- BEER @MONKSOFNORCIA PROGRESS
- Your Sunday Sermon Note Belated
- Are you downsizing? Be careful!
- Just to put your day into perspective
- ASK FATHER: Celebrate Prudence and not “Pride”!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Monthly Archives: November 2014
Was there a good point from the sermon you heard for your Sunday Mass?
Let us know.
Ex ore infantium… perfecisti laudem.
Some scholars of Late Antiquity are skeptical about or even scoff at the ancient tales about Christian children who refused to renounce Christ even in the face of terrible pain and fear.
Even in our modern period, … Continue reading
You might consider some reading for your Advent preparation.
If you haven’t yet read Benedict XVI’s third volume of Jesus of Nazareth: The Infancy Narratives, it is a great place to start!
The Holy Father’s book presents a real defense of the … Continue reading
It is possible that we are already back to Advent?
Advent begins a new liturgical year. Each year Holy Church presents the history of our salvation and the mysteries of the life, death, resurrection and the return of the Lord. Each … Continue reading
Do you remember Schoolhouse Rock?
Here is an original about the passing of laws:
This is the updated version from Saturday Nigh Live:
Having grown up in Minnesota, this is Just Too Cool…
What is it about Archbishops of St. Louis? They tend to bring out the bully in politicians.
Maybe you recall how, years ago when now-Archbp. Robert Carlson informed then-Sen. Tom Daschle that he wasn’t to vote for a partial-birth abortion bill … Continue reading
Do you have some good news to share with the readers?
We had a Missa Cantata this morning, in the Extraordinary Form of course, using the texts for the Feast of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal, adding the prayers Pro gratiarum actione. The schola did a good job and Mass … Continue reading
We don’t have to take every pronouncement or opinion on every topic from every Pope as if it were the Lord’s ipsissima verba. What the Bishop of Rome teaches about concerning faith and morals… those things we Catholics had better … Continue reading
From a reader…
Father, the subject Article IV says: “Celebrations of Mass as mentioned in art. 2 above may – observing all the norms of law – also be attended by faithful, who of their own free will, ask to be … Continue reading
Do you remember there is an album of Advent music available? The wonderful Benedictine Nuns in the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph provide it.
Here are a few little samples.
The UK link is HERE.
These same sisters are defending Bp. Robert Finn, who … Continue reading