Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- BJard: Sometimes Pope Francis 217;s comments leave me a bit concerned. As he is the successor to Peter, and for my own sanity, I choose to interpret what he says from a traditiona l Catho...
- LeeGilbert: Speaking of his experience in the seminary the Italian actor Roberto Benigni said, “Som e people know everything . . .but that’ ;s ALL they know.” Perhaps he fell under the...
- robtbrown: Jim123 The absence of a person from the truth risks making it a non-living truth — which in that sense is an idol. All truth participat es in God Who is the First Truth̵ 1;and is the...
- Semper Gumby: jaykay: Thanks for the article on musical happenings in Dublin. Got to get back there sometime. We took the ferry from Holyhead across to Dublin, and an hour or so after docking were...
- mo7: I am not educated in these matters. I can only speak Imho, he is talking about holding of the faith over those less knowledgea ble, not using it charitably , but in a prideful way. I’...
- iPadre: In the OF, I talked about Our Lord the Good Shepherd and how He told us there would be some bad shepherds. There are some today. We need to know the Catholic faith inside out. Every...
- Hans: Wait! You can get ice in Rome?!?
- ex seaxe: Sawyer points us to “Aqu inas’ propositio n that we cannot know what God is, only what God is not;” ;, quite so. There seem to be plenty of people about who do not underst...
- Alexander Verbum: I don’t know about Pope Francis, but Congar is a snake. “This sectarian tendency to maximize whatever is settled by authority slips into condemning all openness, research, and...
- rcg: When I first read this I noticed the Holy Father used the word “abstract” before Truth. This was the English translatio n, of course. Could that be the key to understand ing what he is trying...
- arga: It is possible that PF does not define “tru th” as you and I do. He may have adopted a postmodern understand ing of the word, in which “tru th” is always relative: We...
- JabbaPapa: Better he though than for example the Macron of France, in his unashamèd Masonic lecture to Congress as if his “tru th” were some manner of worshipful ness. Did you get his...
- JustaSinner: A good shepard never leads his flock astray, nor does he give conflicted commands.
- JabbaPapa: DeGaulle : Pope Francis is, at best, an unskilled communicat or. I agree.
- chantgirl: This sounds like an uncharitab le caricature of Catholics who really believe what Catholics are supposed to believe. “Thi s sectarian tendency to maximize whatever is settled by...
- Ave Maria: Jn 8:  Then Jesus said to those Jews, who believed him: If you continue in my word, you shall be my disciples indeed.  And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you...
- PTK_70: If you acknowledg e “bib liolatry 8221; as a thing, and a condemnabl e thing at that, then you probably understand His Holiness. In other words, what teachermom 24 said. How about...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): teachermom 24 says: Having come into the Catholic Church out of a Protestant denominati on where truth (or their version of being right) was an idol, this makes sense to me....
- Toan: Another way truth can become an idol is when our time analyzing truth (including separating orthodoxy from heterodoxy , and heck, reading blogs) starts to damage our relationsh ip with God by...
- Sawyer: A charitable reading of the pope might propose that what he means is something along the lines of Aquinas 217; propositio n that we cannot know what God is, only what God is not; yet...
- Mike: A way to undo the knot of Pope Francis’ words about “truth idols” Those who live in Truth don’ t need to tie words into knots, any more than Our Lord (Who is Truth) did when He was on...
- WVC: I offer this not as a comment on anyone (including the Pope’ ;s) intelligen ce, but as a possible source of confusion. How many folks have personal experience dealing with Argentinia ns?...
- MrsMacD: Truth could not be an idol. False truth could be an idol. God is Truth. “The truth shall set you free.̶ 1; The modernist might like to frame truth as an idol to distract from all...
- Suburbanbanshee: I forgot to say that the worst cases of false zeal are from people who are actually idolizing themselves , and have their idol threatened . They cover up unholy envy with a false...
- ususantiquor: Father, Compare this from the Cardinal Archbishop of Newark at the pro-Franci s gathering at Villanova last week (from the Catholic Herald): “the Newark archbishop took aim at those...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- 25 April – St. Mark and Major Rogation Day
- A way to undo the knot of Pope Francis’ words about “truth idols”?
- Know the truth and the truth will make you … an idolator?
- Your Good News
- “the worthy deeds and prayers of thy blessed martyr George”
- WDTPRS 3rd Sunday after Easter (TLM): Be distinguished by your profession of Christ!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Felix Natalis Dies Roma!
- My View For Awhile: Mezzogiorno Edition
- 20 April 2007 – Msgr. Richard Schuler – RIP
- 19 April 2005: Benedict XVI elected
- “And Paul VI wept”. More fascinating notes about the Pope and the liturgical reform.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about the Church as “field hospital”. Brutal horror, heroic wonder.
- WDTPRS: 4th Sunday of Easter (2002MR) – Mighty humble Shepherd, humble mighty flock
- HUGE Fr. Z kudos to a reader who wrote to bishops about the important Apostolic Pardon
- My View For A While: Mystery City
- Connection of home-schooling and entering seminary
- ASK FATHER: “My 4 year old insists on praying in Latin.” Latin resources for young children?
- A bishop, black vestments and refreshing commonsense!
- ASK FATHER: Priest Mumbles Words of Absolution. Fr. Z says: FATHERS! Stop being JACKASSES and do it right!
- Shamefaced self-promotion with warm thanks to benefactors
- “If it’s just a symbol, then to hell with it!” Wherein a Lutheran tells it as it is and then Fr. Z rants a lot.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Good Shepherd – AUDIO
- ASK FATHER: Communion twice in a day. But is Communion under both species already twice?
- ASK FATHER: Catholic betrothal rite, ceremony
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday after Easter (TLM): joy, devastation and rising
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Two VERY different DAUGHTERS!
- I’ve decided. I’m for arming teachers and the Rule of Law
- Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal opine on latest developments
- 28 April – PONTIFICAL TLM at Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Daily Archives: 12 November 2014
So, Starbucks has a concert supposedly to honor veterans. They invite people to perform whom they knew would do an anti-war song from era when vets were scorned and they invited a rapper whose lack of class is demonstrated through … Continue reading
On Aleteia I saw a story about the approval by the US bishops, meeting in plenary sessions now, of the English translation of the more recent, 1999 (revised 2004) rite of Exorcism. 179 to 5
It is of vital importance that … Continue reading
You might remember Fr. Michael Rodriguez in the Diocese of El Paso. He has raised his voice several times in a strong way. He has also been saying Holy Mass in the Extraordinary Form.
At the blog Veneremur cernui there is … Continue reading
I have been watching the online petition in support of Card. Burke as a “Thank you!” for his service.
It’s time to really fire this up. This is an ACTION ITEM!
As of now there are 20018 signers. Let’s see if we … Continue reading
Speaking of clerical garb, I am, oddly enough, fairly often asked about my black clerical shirts.
I have adapted some 5.11 Tactical shirts, both ripstop and cotton, and both short and long sleeved, into 5.11 Tactical clerical shirts.
Here’s the deal.
Years ago … Continue reading
At the Mail online there are some spectacular wide-angle photos straight up at the ceilings of some Roman churches.
Here is one.
These churches are expressions of identity.
They express who Catholics believed they were and who they believed the Church to be.
Today we … Continue reading
Marco Tosatti, more and more a guy to follow in the Italian press for analysis of churchy things, has a piece at La Stampa about Card. Pell and how things are going in the Curia.
I don’t have time to translate the … Continue reading
The Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist released their second CD, The Rosary.
You will remember their 2013 Billboard chart-topping album, Mater Eucharistiae. HERE
You might start thinking ahead toward Christmas shopping.
Their new album, The Rosary, presents the prayer of … Continue reading
There is a German language video available about the recent Summorum Pontificum pilgrimage I participated in with a group of American and Canadian pilgrims. It has some good footage of the Pontifical Mass celebrated by His Eminence Raymond Card. Burke … Continue reading
At Church Pop there is a quiz.
Here is a sample.
Quick… is this building a:
Modernist Church … or a… Communist Building?