Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Gab: Lack of evidence? I doubt that will stop our dear pope. It seems to me, although I have no evidence, that he is more interested in being popular with the left than with God. I pray I am wrong.
- Justalurkingfool: My daughter, Mary, asked me to say a Novena along with her which I have been saying for 30 days and which has been a blessing to me. I follow it here: https://ww w.roman...
- Fr. Kelly: My Lambertini and Ganganelli mugs arrived today. I am looking forward to using them to drink Mystic Monk Coffee from.
- Suburbanbanshee: More info — the attack took place in the crypt church, which was one of Bl. Brother Andre̵ 7;s favorite places to pray. And of course St. JosephR 17;s Oratory is...
- JustaSinner: Just asking Father, but are YOU prepared for a slash n stab attack? Maybe even low caliber hand gun protected?
- John Pomeroy: Great news: It hasn’ ;t snowed here in 10 days and the berms of piled up ice and snow are almost all melted! A week of 60 degrees will do that.
- Gaetano: If ever there was an event begging for a Downfall parody video, this is it.
- LeeGilbert: In PORTLAND, OR at 6 in the MORNING there is now a DAILY, Monday through Saturday Dominican rite low Mass in Latin at Holy Rosary Parish, 375 NE Clackamas St. This is a very quiet,...
- Julia_Augusta: Good news: The cherry blossoms are coming out here in Kyoto. By the end of next week, the cherry trees will be in full bloom.
- TheBackPew: Another legacy of Fr. Frank Phillips. There are more young parishione rs in this video, embracing their faith and each other, and carrying the battle to the heart of the enemy, than...
- RichR: So, as I posted the last post my 16 year old son, who was practicing on the church pipe organ, asked why I was chuckling. He thought it was funny, so he quickly put this together for Father...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: As to the use of anchovy, the Great Roman says: With! …and ‘can nolicchi 8217; pasta if you can find it, but grandma and mom would just break spaghetti or bucat...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: RichR says: Imperial March Ah, yes. That was an omission.
- jjbulano: Sublime.
- RichR: You forgot to remind us of your Installati onal Mass with the “Imperial March” played as the Procession al music …jus t so everyone is clear who is in charge.
- VP: All good enough, but with Francis and those around him, it’s all about the foot in the door. Perhaps next year, they will organize a synod in some out-of-the -way place with a few Catho...
- Kathleen10: I’m truly happy for everyone 8217;s good news here, and prayers for all intentions . Fr. Z I love the still life. People say daffodils have no scent, but I love their scent! Our...
- capchoirgirl: I’ve got a book contract with Ave Maria Press for a book about suffering, the stations of the cross, and other various and sundry things!
- Semper Gumby: Black Catholic: Great comment. Outstandin g photo. A Thunder Run against Satan. M1 tanks are great, Big Papa Joe is better.
- Sawyer: Coincident ally, Phyllis Zagano is speaking on this very topic at the Three Days of Darkness. Begins at 1:00 p.m. Pacific Time today. Links to watch this and other events: Live arena...
- Andreas: I’ve been asked to conduct the choir and orchestra of the 18th century Dekanatski rche zum Hl. Petrus & Paulus during Mass on 30 June. The music for Mass will be the Mozart Missa...
- Gab: “The scandals he’s been involved in have been making headlines for years. ” More lies. Cdl Pell hasn’ ;t been involved in any scandals. The media has exhibited histrionic s...
- Semper Gumby: God bless Fr. Z and our priests. “Thi nk ye, that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, no; but separation .” – Luke 12:51
- Titus: Every single juror survived eliminatio n by Pell’s top flight defense team before the trial began. If Australian trials are like U.S. trials, you only get to eliminate so many prospectiv e...
- Titus: And now I have all the ingredient s I need to make pasta e ceci after a consultati on with The Great Roman about the use of anchovy. If I promise not to start any more music-hist ory conte...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- STOP THE PRESSES: Young people sing in the Illinois State Capitol
- Study Commission: no evidence women were ordained to the diaconate
- Your Good News – UPDATED
- Dots to connect
- STATIONS OF THE CROSS – Audio from Fr. Z
- LENTCAzT 2019 17 – Friday in the 2nd Week: The most efficacious devotion?
- Wherein Fr. Z makes an appeal to the readership
- “Dear Fathers, dear seminarians…” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- LENTCAzT 2019 16 – Thursday in the 2nd Week: “Don’t give me heaven! Instead give me…”
- George Weigel on “Two Georges” and future persecution
- Francis’ Triduum Schedule: strange lacuna
- Bp. Schneider: On the question of a heretical pope
- ASK FATHER: Father doses off during Mass
- LENTCAzT 2019 15 – Wednesday in the 2nd Week: Card. Burke
- Officially BADASS CATHOLIC PHOTO
- Germany: More dissent from nuns
- “Te, Ioseph celebrent”, a hymn in honor of the Terror of Demons
- CRISIS: Keen analysis of the implosion of the German Church
- LENTCAzT 2019 14 – Tuesday in the 2nd Week: Glorious St. Joseph!
- Lighter fare
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about Hell and sin and Enemy of the soul
- LENTCAzT 2019 13 – Monday in the 2nd Week: Kneeling at Mass, its actual liturgical function
- “You just want the 1950’s back!”
- ASK FATHER: How can eating desserts during Lent be fasting? Would Jesus eat desserts?
- News from the great Benedictines at Norcia: building, dogs, liturgy, beer
- ASK FATHER: A question about a marriage situation (not mine)
- How to spot a good preacher
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- CNA Exposé: Archbp. Francis Chullikatt, Holy See’s former Observer at the UN
- St. Patrick’s Breastplate: Armor for our time
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: January 2015
We have come around again to Pre-Lent. It is time to get our heads into the game and start preparing for our upcoming Lenten discipline. Already. Sunday is Septuagesima. That means that on Saturday at 1st Vespers, in the traditional … Continue reading
“Who says Catholic Social Teaching requires us to follow the policy prescriptions of the hard left?”
I found a really interesting opinion piece at Crisis by Austin Ruse, who runs C-FAM (an organization you should know and support). I am going to drop you into this piece in medias res. You should go back to read the first part … Continue reading
For your Brick by Brick file. A reader sent me a link to a story in the St. Louis Review (a publication of the Archdiocese of St. Louis) about a parish which as started up a Traditional Latin Mass. ‘Mysterium tremendum’ … Continue reading
From time to time I post about art from Daniel Mitusi, the talented Catholic artist who has worked under the inspiration of the Medieval period as well as Japanese prints. He gets proper inculturation. You may recall that his little … Continue reading
On the threshold of the big… *yawn* … game, there is something of interest in a piece at the National Catholic Register, an interview with the grandson of the legendary Vince Lombardi. Joe Lombardi is the offensive coordinator of the Detroit … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I attend a “modern” church with the traditional long, central aisle. At one end (not the east) is the rose window above the wooden table that serves as an altar (ad popularum). At the other end is the … Continue reading
The latest from Sandro Magister involves Pope Francis, a writer for the Jesuit produced journal La Civiltà Cattolica, the bishops of the Philippines, Pope Francis, and Fr. Joseph Fessio, SJ. ROME, January 29, 2015 – They have not gone without … Continue reading
A priest friend sent a link to this film from 1960. A Solemn Mass at Ushaw College (Seminary). Notice that the place is full. And there is this Christmas Mass from 1962. The next year Vatican II started. Ushaw is … Continue reading
A letter dated 12 January was sent out to all the nunciatures by Msgr. Guido Marini, the papal Master of Ceremonies. HERE Pope Francis has changed the way the pallium will be distributed to new Metropolitan Archbishops. The pallium is … Continue reading
A post by the distinguished scholar Fr. John Hunwicke caught my eye. Here it is, in toto, but do check the comments over there as well. My emphases: Cardinal Rodriguez [That’s Oscar Card. Rodiguez Maradiaga… Archbp. of Tegucigalpa, sometimes referred … Continue reading
A priest friend sent this, no doubt to amuse and edify. From the Daily Mail: Criminal serving his sentence with monks pleads to be sent back to prison… because monastery life is too hard A convicted criminal who was serving … Continue reading
UPDATE 29 Jan: I had this note from a reader: Check out how much the faithful have donated to support Fr. Illo in his decision for altar boys at Star of the Sea- $22K so far in 1 day! www.gofundme.com/kvc80g God bless you! … Continue reading
I was alerted to this terrible development. From the Cardinal Newman Society. Check out their feed on my sidebar. Mayor Signs Coercive Bills Damaging Religious Freedom of D.C. Catholic Schools, Colleges District of Columbia Mayor Muriel Bowser has signed into … Continue reading
His Eminence Raymond Card. Burke recently celebrated a Pontifical Mass at the faldstool in the Basilica of San Nicola in Carcere in Rome. The Mass took place the day after the close of the conference of the Confraternity of … Continue reading