Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- LarryW2LJ: This is all the reason I need; and it was summed up by one who was so very much a frail human sinner- just like me: Simon Peter answered him, “Master, to whom shall we go? You have the...
- Ylonila del Mar: This might be an aside, but I guess I can see why the National Council of Churches in the Philippine s has ties with communist rebels here. Lately they’ ;ve been going all-out...
- TopTomato: I am wondering if there is an error at the end of this sentence: “We are truly free but our freedom is the fruit of His will for us His images. 221; I don’ t understand it...
- GregB: The Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel has a link to the last Fatima apparition during the Miracle of the Sun. The three children saw a series of visions, one of which was of Our Lady...
- Andrew: A Romano senatu venit edictum, ut posthac liberum sit cuique vesci, quibus velit. Per me quidem vel LIMACIBUS vescatur, qui volet. (Erasmus: Colloquia)
- Grateful to be Catholic: Father, stop, you are killing me. Snails in garlicky butter, or is it buttery garlic, to be sopped up with fresh, crusty bread: to die for! My father once went to a resta...
- LarryW2LJ: I had escargot only once in my life. Maybe it was just me; but I sensed no distinct flavor other than the garlic butter they were served in. I know that people tend to get put off,...
- Grant M: “Go to any Novus Ordo Mass and see the proportion of young people to old people”. Well, location, location, location. One Sunday morning last year I attended the NO Mass at a parish in...
- richiedel: In addition to its nearness to the solstice, another reason why we celebrate the feast of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist on June 24 is that it’s six months before Christm...
- Lorra: My priest said that without sanctifyin g grace, even if you saved a man from drowning, that heroic and charitable act will avail you nothing for Eternal Life.
- frjim4321: Parables aren’ ;t allegories , they are lessons with an intentiona l point. We’r e not free to just say what they mean for “me, ” Today, it’s clear that...
- JamesA: Very proud to say that St. Mary Cathedral is my home parish. Neither of the two priests (fine men, both) are traditiona lists, and neither is our bishop, but God bless them for offering the...
- Prayerful: Fr decided to speak about FatherR 17;s Day, rather than specifical ly concentrat e on the words from the Gospel of Luke, that we’v e three fathers, our Heavenly Father, our...
- James in Perth: Great comments and I heartily agree that the Church will be much better off moving back towards a more traditiona l liturgy. That said, most parishes that I have attended are quite...
- teomatteo: Was your mother Italian? [No, my mother is not Italian.]
- Grateful to be Catholic: Mmmmm. Looks good. I will have to try these. I have found that the trick to frying eggplant, which I do for ratatouill e, is not to give it all the olive oil it wants as it...
- JustaSinner: Just purchased an obsidian with delicate rose buds as the major beads in the beginning. Very delicate, and quite feminine I may add… but have always thought of the rosary as...
- LarryW2LJ: Thanks for the solution. Fr. I hadn’ ;t been checking the comments. Way back in the deep, dark recesses of my memory, I knew I had seen one of these before! And that was way back in...
- semperficatholic: Fr. Z’s link was good. June 13th was also the second visit of Our Lady of Fatima to the three children. :)
- Fr. Reader: It was not the same in all languages. In other languages the sacrificia l and expiatory language was more present. As a non native English speaker, the first few times I attended the...
- Gregg the Obscure: OF. The mustard seed is indeed a small seed that produces a large plant. Once planted, it not only grows, but it spreads and produces more plants. An active faith will simila...
- JonPatrick: If the Traditiona l Mass isn’ t the future, then what is? Go to any Novus Ordo Mass and see the proportion of young people to old people. I am 68 and the majority of people that...
- JonPatrick: When I saw the heading “Fr. Z’s Kitchen: the South̶ 1; I thought we were in for fried chicken, collard greens and hush puppies and was pleasantly surprised. I should try...
- exNOAAman: “No coincidenc es”; OLoF statue; scapular,. This guy’ s a politician ? I’m impressed.
- JonPatrick: Byzantine Rite, Melkite Greek Catholic Church. There are only 2 places in scripture where Jesus is “ama zed” one a negative one, when he is amazed at the lack of faith of...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- “Disinformation” and some notes about the World Council of Churches
- Catholic? Why?
- “Perdonamose!” Midsummer Snails, John’s Birthday Feast and You.
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: The South
- Pres. Trump and the Brown Scapular
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Pentecost: “HEY YOU!” *smack*
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Surprise article at Commonweal about participation in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Speaking of Eucharistic Processions…
- WDTPRS: 11th Ordinary Sunday – ‘firmness’ and ‘infirmity, ‘intention’ and ‘action’
- QUIZ: What is this thing? – SOLVED!
- “The finest rosaries I have ever seen” have… returned! – UPDATES
- GREEN! Photos of green vestments for Solemn Mass in production, and a pitch
- 14 June – Elisha, Old Testament Prophet: salt, bears and you.
- READER FEEDBACK to post: Why we Say The Black and Do The Red
- ASK FATHER: Validity of sacraments from a schismatic priest
- A great restoration @CathedralStPaul
- Terrific photos of traditional rite ordination in England!
- Concerning @JamesMartinSJ talking at Vatican @LaityFamilyLife sponsored @WMOF2018
- BEER @MONKSOFNORCIA PROGRESS
- Your Sunday Sermon Note Belated
- Are you downsizing? Be careful!
- Just to put your day into perspective
- ASK FATHER: Celebrate Prudence and not “Pride”!
- Why we Say The Black and Do The Red
- Disturbing short film “The Confession” that somehow won Catholic award
- Father’s Day gift idea – from the “hearts”
- PHILIPPINES: To arm priests or not to arm?
- ASK FATHER: What does the comma really say?
- The Immaculate Heart of Mary and the Sacred Heart of Jesus
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Monthly Archives: July 2015
From a reader…
I was wondering if any secular/diocesan priest is allowed to wear a black mozzetta as part of their choir dress? I have seen pictures of some priests wearing a black mozzetta such as the Canons Regular of St. … Continue reading
This is interesting…
‘Married’ lesbian approved as head of Catholic day care in Cardinal Marx’s diocese
July 31, 2015 (LifeSiteNews) – The website of the German Bishops’ Conference, katholisch.de, reported yesterday on the first case of a practicing homosexual permitted to remain … Continue reading
Something light… but maybe not.
I think most of you know that I don’t like squirrels… except Scrat. I actually have squirreled away somewhere a Scrat decal for the cover of my laptop, where the glowing bitten apple of sin subs for … Continue reading
I’ve been monitoring my voice mail. A question came in a while back which I can now treat.
Let’s have the audio…
This is an interesting question.
I’m a Latin Church, Catholic priest and not really qualified to speak about the specifics of Greek … Continue reading
On my way out of an eatery where I had met a reader and priest heading to Lacrosse for yet another conference with Cardinal Burke, as well as the great Archbp. Cordileone, [HERE] I saw the rising moon. Photos almost … Continue reading
Over at the Fishwrap (aka National Sodomitic Reporter) Jamie Manson (openly lesbian activist, promoter of women’s ordination, mentored by Sr. Margaret Farley, and darling of the LCWR), laments the Church’s teaching about homosexuality.
This piece is part of Fishwrap‘s incessant effort to undermine Catholic … Continue reading
Technology is great… when it works.
Here’s is the latest stupid problem I have to deal with: Solving this stupid thing for almost every page I try to bring up!
I did a full scan and installed some updates. Then I restarted and scanned … Continue reading
I have a love/hate relationship with Camille Paglia. I love her writing style an enjoy her stark commentary. Meanwhile, I hope and pray that she will come to senses about God.
Right now at Salon she had a piece in which … Continue reading
This video might be hard to view using Chrome.
The conference is named also Speculum Iustitiae … “Mirror of Justice”, which is a title given to Our Lady in the Litany.
We continue today with a presentation on the Apostolic Penitentiary. I’ve … Continue reading
Remember… Planned Parenthood was initiated to get rid of undesirables.
Everyone… take a moment to go to Crisis and read Fr. George Rutler’s new offering. HERE
Christ cannot be psychoanalyzed because he is perfect. It would be like seeking flaws in pure … Continue reading
See the video message, for you readers, below!
I’ve journeyed to LaCrosse and the magnificent Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe for the annual Speculum Iustitiae conference.
Card. Burke organized the conference six years ago. It is always intellectually and spiritually refreshing.
Yes … Continue reading
Please use the sharing buttons! Thanks!
Registered or not, will you in your charity please take a moment look at the requests and to pray for the people about whom you read?
Continued from THESE.
I get many requests by email asking for … Continue reading
From a priest…
I was in Fatima earlier this month and in the office to request Masses be offered for pilgrim’s intentions, I noticed a sign that said the stipend for a standard Mass stipend is 10 Euros but for “Trintario … Continue reading
A blog called EpicPew has some points to review about your participation at Mass. NB: A serious omission in the blog post is that it ignores the Extraordinary Form. It doesn’t even mention the Extraordinary Form. That is, when the author … Continue reading
This comes from Business Insider.
The 13 most meaningful jobs in America
If your goal in life is to make the world a better place, you should probably pursue a job in education or healthcare.
Twelve of the top 13 most meaningful … Continue reading