Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- frjimt: teeth̷ 0;
- frjimt: … rejoice that we can sufferR 30; i had a similar experience at a baptism 230; i thought, id probably do the same thing if all i knew of the priesthood is what i read… ;....
- Kenneth Wolfe: I am also sorry to hear of that airport situation. Thank you, though, for being a witness. I have heard of several priests (some who really should know better, too) who take the easy...
- Clinton R.: As time goes on, I am sure you and your brother priests will be hated by 99.9% of the world. However, Our Blessed Mother is praying for you, as are all the Saints in Heaven. We hear...
- JillMary: I’m sorry for that Father. And it also make me think of Cardinal Pell. I have thought a lot about his being in prison and pray he is free soon. But in the mean time, I hope this is...
- Mariana2: Very sorry, Father.
- Longinus: Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven. Matthew 5:...
- Gab: ““No t next to him” hissed satan.
- Gab: From the link above: “Whe n Pell became Archbishop of Melbourne in 1996, “Cat holic Lite” ; was the order of the day throughout the country, with the usual results: goofb...
- Gab: “Goo d people in Australia watched George Pell run roughshod over their friends, their families, and their neighbors for decades and their was nothing they could do about it. A great...
- Jerome Charles: Fr Z, I’m sorry you had this experience , and I can imagine how demoralizi ng this time can be for priests who are innocent of wrongdoing –yes , the vast majority. Our...
- OrdinaryCatholic: Correct Father. None of us, not priests nor layman is exempt from the persecutio n of being Catholic. Priests because of their associatio n with their perverse brethren and layman...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father!
- Jerome Charles: Imrahil, I understand that interpreta tion, but can we truly say “the people of God” are only baptized Christians ? If all people are created by God, are they not all...
- Tony McGough: Tony’ ;s wife here: The point about Our Blessed Lady is very well made. She is the greatest of all creatures, and she is NOT a priest. She provides women with a model of contem...
- Charles E Flynn: @JARay: You have to read all of the comments to get the full benefit of this article: The Rule is Not “A” Before Consonants and “An” Before Vowels https://ww w.writersd igest.c...
- BrionyB: I understand the point about the foot-washi ng ritual as a sign of mercy and humility towards others. These are excellent virtues that we should all cultivate, but to me it’s a bit...
- APX: It says he was taken to the host and tested for the flu, but tested negative. Anyone know which correction al facility he’s in?
- MissBee: @Diana, I had the same thought!
- Imrahil: Sorry for the inverting mess.
- Imrahil: Dear Jerome Charles, for one thing, Episcopal Conference s tend not to critize Popes, except for their conservati sm (if applicable ). For another, the USCCB itself in the article you...
- TomG: The beauty of an FSSP parish (mine) is that it is not done at all.
- Josephus Corvus: Maybe they could do like my mom’ s NO parish does – don’ t choose anybody. Just have one chair up there and whoever wants can come up and have the priest wash...
- Liz: There are rumors going around that Cardinal Pell has been hospitaliz ed with the flu. I don’ t know if it’s true or not, but increasing prayers cannot hurt. He is an older man,...
- Justalurkingfool: As an abandoned husband and father, my experience is terrible related to both laity and, especially because of their, supposed, authority/ expertise, to priests and canon lawye...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Wherein Fr. Z makes an appeal to the readership
- “Dear Fathers, dear seminarians…” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- LENTCAzT 2019 16 – Thursday in the 2nd Week: “Don’t give me heaven! Instead give me…”
- George Weigel on “Two Georges” and future persecution
- Francis’ Triduum Schedule: strange lacuna
- Bp. Schneider: On the question of a heretical pope
- ASK FATHER: Father doses off during Mass
- LENTCAzT 2019 15 – Wednesday in the 2nd Week: Card. Burke
- Officially BADASS CATHOLIC PHOTO
- Germany: More dissent from nuns
- “Te, Ioseph celebrent”, a hymn in honor of the Terror of Demons
- CRISIS: Keen analysis of the implosion of the German Church
- LENTCAzT 2019 14 – Tuesday in the 2nd Week: Glorious St. Joseph!
- Lighter fare
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about Hell and sin and Enemy of the soul
- LENTCAzT 2019 13 – Monday in the 2nd Week: Kneeling at Mass, its actual liturgical function
- “You just want the 1950’s back!”
- ASK FATHER: How can eating desserts during Lent be fasting? Would Jesus eat desserts?
- News from the great Benedictines at Norcia: building, dogs, liturgy, beer
- ASK FATHER: A question about a marriage situation (not mine)
- How to spot a good preacher
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- CNA Exposé: Archbp. Francis Chullikatt, Holy See’s former Observer at the UN
- St. Patrick’s Breastplate: Armor for our time
- LENTCAzT 2019 – 12 – 2nd Sunday of Lent: God is more lenient than you
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday of Lent (NO): a more perfect “view”
- When We are elected Pope…
- LENTCAzT 2019 – 11 – Saturday in the 1st Week of Lent: The imperial epiphany and the tabernacle
- AUDIO: Damian Thompson on boring bishops – @HolySmoke
- 15 March – A ramble about the #IdesOfMarch
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: December 2015
I found this story from Ed Pentin to be pretty interesting. My friends in Rome and my own experience this out. Large Fall in Numbers of Faithful Attending Angelus, Regina Coeli According to figures released today by the papal household, the number … Continue reading
We read in the Enchiridion Indulgentiarum 26 that, under the usual conditions, people can gain a plenary indulgence by participating in a liturgical praying of the Te Deum for the end of the year. Is there one in your diocese … Continue reading
From a priest: My pastor said to me, “if you give me a good enough reason why I should wear black vestments on All Souls’ Day, I will do it.” What, exactly, would you recommend I tell him? My mind … Continue reading
What is your good news these days… these busy days? I am sure that some good things are going on out there. I, for one, am in the midst of preparing another Supper for the Promotion of Clericalism. I have … Continue reading
Holy Church considers many Old Testament figures to be saints. Today when you open your trusty copy of the 2005 Martyrologium Romanum you will find, just below the St. Thomas Becket, this interesting entry: 2. Commemoratio sancti David, regis et … Continue reading
UPDATE 29 Dec: It seems that the priest involved has been involved with his diocese in this matter HERE. There is also an article in a local paper which explains the fallout. HERE In short, Father is sorry that he … Continue reading
DATELINE: Springfield, IL. It seems that in a letter to the edition of the local paper someone went after His Excellency Most Reverend Thomas Paprocki, Bishop of Springfield in regard to Communion for the civilly divorced and remarried (CDRs). HERE … Continue reading
Today is Childermas, the Feast of the Holy Innocents. Lully, lulla, thou little tiny child, By by, lully lullay, thou little tiny child, By by, lully lullay. O sisters too, How may we do For to preserve this day This … Continue reading
“This shall be a sign unto you. You shall find the infant wrapped in swaddling clothes and laid in a manger.”
Here is a lovely image from a 13th c. French Psalter which I found at discarded images. During the Octave, contemplate the Infant King.
It is still Christmas. That is, we are in the Octave of Christmas. Holy Church stops her counting of time for a bit so that we can rest with the mystery of the Incarnation and contemplate it from various angles. … Continue reading
Was there a good point in the sermon you heard for your Mass of obligation for Sunday? Let us know!
In the Novus Ordo, or Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite, on Sunday after Christmas we focus on the Holy Family. Our context is Octave of the Nativity of the Lord. An “octave” is a period of eight days when … Continue reading
From my Patristic Rosary Project page: 3rd Joyful Mystery: The Nativity Christ came into the world in “the fullness of time” (Gal 4:4). His First Coming was foreseen from all eternity and His Nativity was prepared from the beginning of … Continue reading
In addition to Boxing Day, and the day good King Wenceslaus went out, it is the feast of St Stephen. I hope all your snow is neat and crisp and even. St. Stephen’s feast has been celebrated this day since the … Continue reading
Here is your HHH UPDATE for Day 10 of… HEART WATCH! Fr. Finigan is in the hospital after a “Minor Cardiac Episode.” So, far, he has been freed from THE MINDRAY, and has dealt with THE PROTOCAL. I think he might now be struggling with … Continue reading