Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- The Astronomer: The in-your-fa ce attitude of the Lavender Mafia̵ 7;s principal public faces (Cupich, Tobin, Wuerl, Martin, Fernanez, Paglia, ‘Coc co-boyR 21;, Sirica, et al) in the...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Here again the Church is following the secular world, where, instead of growing up in a home with one mother and one father, kids get a conga line of stepfather s in and out...
- Gaetano: For what it’s worth, the 2018 Pentecost liturgy wasn’ ;t much better. I know people who were there for a baptism. It was embarrassi ng, and fundamenta lly a celebratio n of the...
- Elizabeth D: My pastor of my parish is my good bishop and I wish he would come visit us. it has been a long time. I am biting my tongue what I want to say about the pastoral situation. I am gnawing...
- Dimitri_Cavalli: Nothing may ever top the “lit urical puppets 221; mass (lower case is used to question its validity) in terms of comedy. See https://yo utu.be/rh_ nqtp3VrU Google Video&...
- monstrance: To have Archbishop Viganò taken out by the Lavender Mafia would not help their cause. He is already a hero – they don’t want to make him a martyr. Besides, the cat is already out...
- scotus: Father, I have a confession to make. On Sunday I went to Mass at a church run by Jesuits. There was nothing untoward about that Mass itself but just before the final blessing a Jesuit made...
- hwriggles4: Church is worship, not entertainm ent. Some of my Protestant brethren have told me that they too are turned off to the “hap py clappyR 21;, “let ’s be cool” ;,...
- Prayerful: Pope Francis as Fr Bergoglio SJ was something of a supporter of the Galtieri junta. The claims that he betrayed two slum priests were denied five years ago, and originated with a radical...
- Prayerful: Is Fr Z being a bit harsh? Ignatius Press publishes many useful and worthwhile works, and new school chapel for a Jesuit secondary or High school in Tampa, Florida (http://ww w.newli...
- roma247: It really is crucial that we start to take a long-term view of the situation we are in. I find it easy to believe, as many others do, that this truly is the final crisis, and that the...
- Fr_Andrew: I say the EF Mass once or twice a week for some Dominican Sisters. My reading of the 1960 rubrics suggests that while in their chapel I must follow their calendar and not my own, there...
- Sawyer: Just another example of a Jesuit priest in good standing with his religious superior and having the support of the cardinal archbishop who has given him faculties in his archdioces e. Mind...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): When priests pull these stunts, there needs to be immediate, on-the-sce ne pushback from the pews. We shouldn’t worry about being disrespect ful or desecratin g the Mass:...
- Elizabeth D: I am going out on a limb and say that I think this has to do with a natural kind of gut reaction that some sex abuse victims have to the calls for doing penance for the perpetrato rs....
- Elizabeth D: I saw that Dr Peters comments on her proposal that men who have been victims of sex abuse be screened out because it is a risk factor for becoming an abuser. I only glanced through his...
- frmgcmma: When our Lady of Fatima appeared six time, she smiled just once. When? After the children had been exhorted many times to “mak e sacrifices for sinners 221; and they used a piece...
- Joe in Canada: I presume that Fr James will not be doing any prayer or fasting as he has not committed any of these sins. I pray the Divine Mercy chaplet with others who choose to join me on Friday...
- Dan: Satan has liked that post and will likely be retweeting it repeatedly though his lackeys of course. At what point do we pull his Catholic card? I admit, I can do penance, and fasting for the...
- Suburbanbanshee: Jesus was innocent too. I guess that whole “die to save us from sin” was a bad plan? If you don’ t even believe the fundamenta ls of Christiani ty, why are you...
- Il Ratzingeriano: http://www .marcotosa tti.com/20 18/09/18/l agenda-per -la-chiesa -normalita -di-adulte rio-omoses sualita-se sso-libero -e-nozze-g ay/ Marco Tosatti has a terrifying summary of...
- Dan: I think it is important to remember that this is not a Church issue. Sexual deviancy is an issue that has permeated our society so deeply that it has even penetrated deep into the heart of the...
- Dan: Mary is right that the laity are angry. I am angry. I am not angry that this abuse has once again resurfaced through. I am glad for that. I am angry and fearful that like so many other issues,...
- Colm: From Fr. Augustine Thompson, O.P. (http://do minican-li turgy.blog spot.com): Q: May priest members of the Dominican Laity use the Dominican liturgical books of 1962? A: There are very few...
- padredana: I’m not sure about Dominicans Tertiaries , but I can speak about Benedictin e Oblates. I am a priest Oblate of the Monastery in Norcia, and we are allowed to insert St. Bened...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Thoughts on fatherhood and how priestly identity is undercut by short terms as pastors
- More Jesuit idiocy
- Henry Sire: “Archbishop Viganò is now living in fear of his life, quite literally.”
- One Mad Mom spanks James Martin, LGBTSJ
- ASK FATHER: Can a Dominican Tertiary priest use the Dominican Rite?
- Lay Rage in Chicago, Mary Eberstadt takes names, and Fr. Z rants
- There are more than one “lavender mafia”
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS – 17th Sunday after Pentecost: diabolical contagion
- We are all, I think, striving to understand how we got to the point where we are.
- ASK FATHER: What should we do for Ember Days?
- UPDATED – ACTION ITEM! 10 year old’s fundraiser for a Pregnancy Care Center
- At end of youth meeting, no Apostolic Benediction from Francis.
- Francis to clergy, seminarians, religion in Palermo: “Clericalism… one of the most difficult perversions”
- UPDATE: 15 Sept: Seven Sorrows of Mary, Mater Dolorosa, Queen of Martyrs – Queen of Clergy
- @BishopZubik announces traditional practices for @DioPitt
- Bits and pieces
- WDTPRS – 24th Ordinary Sunday: Does it make any difference to offer prayers to God?
- Videos and hi-res photos of the Consecration of the Abbey and Abbess of Gower
- UPDATED Mary, Queen of the Clergy holy cards with Daily Prayer for Priests – AVAILABLE!
- Of Friday and festive penitential Pesto fit for a King
- BOOKS RECEIVED: A hard look at Francis in Spanish by Argentinian author
- 14 Sept: 11th Anniversary of Summorum Pontificum – Thank you, Benedict XVI!
- Morning After Pill of UK ‘c’atholics – @The_Tablet – falsehood about @BishopMorlino
- IRONY! Francis calls 2019 meeting of bishops on Feast of St. Peter Damian
- A prayer for your confessor, the priest to whom you are about to make your confession
- UPDATES! URGENT TO BISHOPS OF @RaleighDiocese @diosav @DioceseChas @archatl @CatholicNewsCLT
- #HurricaneFlorence, the Carolinas, and You (extraction, security, etc.)
- My View For Awhile: From the Starfield, back to Benghazi
- The Viganò Testimony: Was it justified or was it a violation of an oath?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: January 2016
I direct the readership’s attention to the page of our friend and frequent commentator here Fr. Jay Finelli, iPadre.
Fr. Finelli has a series podcasts about his experience of learning and saying Holy Mass in the Extraordinary Form.
Gosh… he’s up to Episode … Continue reading
From a reader…
I attended at funeral mass at a parish recently and I found it strange that the funeral pall was not draped over the casket for the mass. The priest wore purple vestments and used the paschal candle, but … Continue reading
A while back, a conversation was initiated by a post by my friend Msgr. Charles Pope about the number of people attending the Extraordinary Form. My post about it HERE.
At the UK’s best Catholic weekly, the Catholic Herald, there is a … Continue reading
Mercy, not magic – Archdiocese of Bombay clarifies Holy Doors and the Jubilee
Mumbai, India, Jan 26, 2016 / 04:25 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- The Archdiocese of Bombay issued a clarification last week after WhatsApp users in Maharashtra were circulating a … Continue reading
This comes from the Cardinal Newman Society:
Catholic Colleges Should Claim Title IX Exemptions, Says Newman Society President
As Title IX interpretations have expanded to include discrimination policies grounded in gender theory, Catholic colleges should have no qualms about claiming constitutionally-protected exemptions, … Continue reading
A new movie will soon be released. Here are a couple trailers.
I, for one, look forward to seeing it.
From a reader…
I’m a consevitive ctholic teen and my friends are not and when they ask about my faith I try my best to answer correctly but then we get to Gay’s and why don’t we except them, I don’t … Continue reading
You have to both chuckle and wince over Michael Sean Winters’ obsession with Acton Institute. There is no subject with which the Wile E. Coyote of contemporary liberal Catholicism cannot associate Acton.
Writing about Pope Francis’ recently released Message for World Communication … Continue reading
Here is something very cool for all of you to enjoy for free!
At Spaceweather we get the details about how all sorts of planets – alas, as far as I know not Planet X – will be visible in one … Continue reading
I occasionally turn on a regular network TV station. My gorge rises and I flee back to books, cable news or DVDs.
I understand that there is now a TV series called Lucifer. I won’t be seeing that one.
However, a priest … Continue reading
PODCAzT 140: Paul VI’s 1966 Letter Sacrificium laudis on the use of Latin and Gregorian chant by religious
It has been quite awhile since I made a PODCAzT, over a year, if you don’t count the offerings during Advent and Lent.
I was inspired to get back into it by something I saw at the website of the Latin … Continue reading
In honor of the Apostle to the Gentiles let us make a rapid comparison of the Collects, or “Opening Prayers”, for today’s feast.
We’ll look first at the 1962 Missale Romanum and then the 2002 edition.
The Collect is nearly the same … Continue reading
From a readerette:
Could you answer this for both the EF and the OF?
Is the “Domine non sum dignus” a part of the Ordinary of the Mass that pertains to Sacrosanctum Concilium 54, and so would be something that the faithful … Continue reading
Was there a good point in the sermon you heard for your Mass of Sunday obligation?
Let us know what it was.
For my part, I stressed the importance of confession. Our sins hurt everyone. We are all in this together.