Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- teomatteo: On an all together different note: that counter top appears to be, Saint Cecilia, comes outta s.america. i think.
- frjimt: From the office today: for the honor of him who lives us, it is proper to obey w/out hypocrisy; for a man does not so much deceive the bishop he can see as try to receive the bishop he...
- Ave Maria: Oh if only they had been suppressed again before we had a Jesuit pope! So many of them and many of their institutio ns are a scandal and a danger to the faith.
- HvonBlumenthal: The suppressio n of an order doesn’t mean that good priests are tossed out with the bathwater, merely that they would be welcomed in a healthier order; I find Anneliese’ s remark...
- Malta: These religious in my state are preserving the faith: http://www .ourladyof guadalupem onastery.c om/
- Malta: The Jesuits annoy me, not en masse, but the hierarchy on up to someone in the Vatican. They have a superior attitude which rings me the wrong way. When I was a Senior Trial Prosecutor I...
- dmflinn: May the Lord welcome him into eternal rest.
- APX: Has Cardinal Burke said anything on the matter? He used to have a very close associatio n with the USACV when he was still an archbishop .
- JesusFreak84: I saw someone comment on Twitter that there should be “Jes uits of the Strict Observance .” As long as strict means strict, I say go for it and suppress the rest. I do...
- Sconnius: Gandalf the Grey: [reading] The year 3434 of the Second Age. Here follows the account of Issac, the High Vicar of Black Duck, at the finding of the Brew of Power. “It has come to...
- stephen c: I will certainly say a prayer for him. And for Cardinal Mayer, another good priest who probably does not need my prayers. I have had the good fortune to know several good and holy...
- Anneliese: Dave Meconi, Chris Collins, and Mitch Pacwa deserve a little more respect. To equate them to James Martin is insulting.
- Nan: We did that Thursday in MN.
- Arthur McGowan: Better to call attention to such feasts about a month ahead of time. In fact, “Nex t Month̵ 7;s FeastsR 21; should be a regular feature.
- James in Perth: I truly appreciate the courage of the young Fr. Pagliarini to speak up to those priests who were joking about transubsta ntiation. A friend of my own pastor enjoyed saying scandal...
- James in Perth: Eastern Catholics will have their vehicles and other chariots blessed this Sunday in remembranc e of the Holy and Great Prophet Elijah whose simple feast was celebrated yesterd...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: ex seaxe says: did you cast your expert eye over the translatio n Since you seem to want to pick at something, as is apparent from the LINK I included, that is not my transla...
- ex seaxe: I think I would be inclined to ask for the blessing for a vehicle, rather than one which speaks specially of healing. I don’ t quite need a wheelchair yet, but am considerin g...
- Mike: In a restored Church it will be a Greater Double with a vigil and an octave.
- Kathleen10: Amen, may God rest his soul.
- HvonBlumenthal: Time to repeat the exercise 8230;..
- Semper Gumby: Great comments in red here Fr. Z. *chuckle* jaykay: “Wit h xir knitting.& #8221; Good one. Apparently one can wrangle a desk, computer, and paycheck over at the Fishwrap without...
- Eric: Wow. I read that statement, then went back and read it again. That is what I call a charter for the future, not just for the Society, but for the whole Church. It truly moved me. The English...
- ex seaxe: Show favour to your servants, O Lord, and shower upon us the gifts of your grace, that, eager in faith, in hope, and in love, we may always be watchful in keeping your commandmen ts. That...
- fmsb78: @ HvonBlumen thal “Thi s is not true of Bp Fellay and his supporters who are deeply demoralize d by the election.& #8221; I am sorry but this statement is not right at all. Monsig...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Can you imagine bishops doing something like this today?
- ASK FATHER: Blessing for a Wheelchair, Stretcher, or Ambulance
- FEAST DAY! 21 July 1773 – Clement XIV suppressed the Jesuits!
- R.I.P. Msgr. Camille Perl, once Secretary of the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei”
- And now for your Friday SSPX news!
- WDTPRS – 16th Ordinary Sunday: The Enemy is hunting YOU
- For your consideration…
- The hurly burly of Medieval Studies!
- FLYING ELECTRIC SPACE SPIDERS!
- ASK FATHER: Mass texts for St. Elijah, Old Testament Prophet
- What could possibly go wrong? – UPDATED
- YOUR GOOD NEWS… and Washington DC’s new Auxiliary Bishop and key priest at Detroit’s major seminary
- Budding young feminist archeologists
- ASK FATHER: Baptism of child of a same-sex couple?
- BOOK RECEIVED: Why Humanae Vitae Is Still Right!
- What the TMSM is doing with your donations
- Who is behind that “Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video” and how are they being treated?
- ACTION ITEM! Pray for Fr. Morris, victim of the homosexualist agenda
- Are we still trustworthy?
- Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video. Then Fr. Z rants about crying.
- The image of the badge of the Vendée came to mind today
- ACTION ITEM! Spiritual Bouquet for Bp. Morlino
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Garofolato!
- ASK FATHER: Cremains in funeral Mass, Traditional Requiem
- Pontifical Mass in Lake Charles. A brief and yet optimistic rant from Fr. Z.
- The last 10 minutes…
- 17 July 1794: “Permission to die, Mother?”
- 17 July 2018 – 100 years after
- Cobblestones, new vestments, and swag for Zed Heads
- More shallow, angry, cliché feminist rubbish from Fishwrap
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: March 2016
God is great.
Apropos my post about Lady Day and Good Friday falling together, which won’t happen again for over a hundred years.
Andria, Italy, Mar 25, 2016 / 06:38 pm (CNA).- A single thorn held to have been taken from … Continue reading
Today I muse about why catholic feminists (an oxymoron – emphasis on moron – I know, but bear with me) are not vexed by Pope Francis and his dramatically public choice to wash the feet of non-Christians.
Think this through for them.
What … Continue reading
The Lamentations of Fr. Z include verses on the loss of the singing of Tenebrae, whole and entire in its proper language.
The ordering of the psalms is not particularly profound, but the antiphons and responsories are simply incomparable in the … Continue reading
Today, 25 March 2016, is simultaneously the Feast of the Annunciation and Good Friday. Liturgically we celebrate the Annunciation later.
In ancient times there was a tradition that Christ died on the 8th day before the Kalends of April: 25 March. The … Continue reading
I refer the readership to some lucid and sober comments about the pedilavium, the foot washing, that can occur as an option in both uses of the Roman Rite.
Fr John Hunwicke makes some keen and, for liberals sobering, observations. I expunged his … Continue reading
Today should be Lady Day, the Feast of the Annunciation, the instant of the Incarnation.
Because today is Good Friday, Lady Day is transferred.
However, 25 March is also the Feast of the Good Thief, St. Dismas!
Could there be a more appropriate coincidence?
Luke … Continue reading
One of my favorite portrait artists is Giovanni Battista Moroni (+1579). Not one was he Catholic, in a serious sense, he was both in Trent when the Council was being held and was influenced by it.
One of Moroni’s more famous paintings … Continue reading
This year for the first time it is licit that women’s feet be washing during the entirely optional “Mandatum” in the Mass of the Lord’s Supper, Holy Thursday.
NB: Before this year, those who were doing so, did so in violation of … Continue reading
My native place has finally received an official appointment of its next Archbishop.
He has already been there for a while, the former Coadjutor of Newark, Archbishop Bernard Hebda.
He had been the Adminstrator. He is staying as Archbishop.
This is good news … Continue reading
I recently posted about
TENEBRAE – Where? When?
Today I received photos from a favorite place of mine, Wyoming Catholic College. Prof. Peter Kwasniewski writes:
Last night we held our fifth consecutive Tenebrae service at Wyoming Catholic College. (We always sing, in full, the … Continue reading
UPDATE 24 March:
There was another attack today.
There was a DNS attack on the blog today.
There were 383 pages of log entries from one IP address making multiple queries per second.
Just so you know… the devil and his agents hate this … Continue reading
There is a piece at Vatican Radio that this Holy Thursday, 24 March, will be the “feast day” of Bl. Oscar Romero, the Salvadoran Archbishop who was murdered while celebrating Mass in 1980. It seems to be the Church’s day … Continue reading
From a reader…
One of the precepts of the Church states we are to receive Holy Communion at Easter. I always wondered if that meant Easter Mass or during the Easter season. My 1962 Missal say Easter (period) but I have … Continue reading