Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Elizabeth D: Thank you Fr Kelly. I can imagine different reactions to things I wrote here. Most seemed to understand my intentions to be Good News. I do feel like I want to say my spiritual direc...
- teachermom24: The best marriage prep I have found is from a celibate priest, Karol Wojtyla, in his book Love and Responsibi lity.
- Greg Hlatky: Always nice to see priests looking priestly.
- TonyO: The number of children being born to practicing Catholics will outstrip those being born to liberals. True. But not as telling a point as we could wish: it is not only the family you are...
- TonyO: I don’ t know what country Julia_Augu sta comes from, but it sure wasn’ ;t the United States. In the States, the heavy-beat mantra (in earlier days) on men was to provide for...
- JesusFreak84: *indictmen ts sorry for spelling
- jhayes: Fr. Kelly wrote: I ask you, upon what evidence do you say that these three are not the same woman? In her liturgy and teaching of the Father, the Church has very much identified them for...
- Kerry: Wisdom from David Warren, April of 2014. https://ww w.davidwar renonline. com/2014/0 2/15/breed ing-instru ctions-rev isited/
- JesusFreak84: I’m just glad to read the comments above that sexual assault doesn̵ 7;t exclude a women from embracing this vocation. I’m not a victim of such a ghastly crime, thank...
- JesusFreak84: How much of the leftwing bend on Bishops staying around longer has to do with what type of man WANTS that kind of power? I know that, for most of the traditiona l priests I’...
- JesusFreak84: TLM, Canon preached about whether we’r e investing as much in our spiritual future as we do in our financial futures. (I might have smirked, having $0 saved for retirement at...
- JesusFreak84: Julia_Augu sta, abuse is a valid reason for a woman to leave her husband. (Not to divorce him, of course, but to physically separate.) Your analogies fail for the same reasons mass...
- Suburbanbanshee: If we went back to pre-Trent practices of laypeople fasting from sex during all fasting times̷ 0;. But the Church tried to be nice.
- Julia_Augusta: EmilB, I agree that abortion on demand is not the answer. But the Pill is, for many women. They have a husband who refuses to control himself. She is required to “submit to her...
- GM Thobe: It is important to note that marriage has as a primary end the procreatio n and education of children, and as subordinat e ends mutual aid and the quieting of concupisce nce. So begett...
- KateD: I inform my children that priests are princes of the Kingdom of Heaven right here on Earth. And… Jesus said in Heaven there is no marriage or divorce, so isn’ t it appropriat e...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: southernpr iest: You might try Archbp. Carroll 217;s great prayer! HERE
- southernpriest: Beautiful prayer for priests, and I am going to put it in my bulletin. We recently had a past pastor, and a friend of mine, removed for accusation s with a young man; so it is even...
- iPadre: I think the left out two words! “Dis regard for” Humanae Vitae̵ 7;s ban on contracept ion causes human suffering. Think of all the young people who have become intrenched in...
- KateD: Omigosh! Chesterton 63! Right?!? Respectful ly, Kevin Cardinal Ferrall, is mistaken. I tell my children they will be called to either religious or married life. What is most important is to...
- hwriggles4: Here’ ;s another thing too, and good priests notice this: Catholic marriages are down considerab ly. Dioceses often keep statistics on this. Here are a few observatio ns as to why:...
- Ave Maria: These writers and this paper are a scandal and a scourge upon the earth and they lead souls astray which is gravely sinful.
- thomistking: @Julia_Aug usta: Catholics aren’ ;t consequent ialists. No amount of bemoaning consequenc es or what the clergy preach about changes that Catholics believe some acts can never be...
- EmilB: Julia_Augu sta, you make a valid point. That situation MUST be addressed in the areas of the world where that culture is embedded. Women are not to be abused in any way. We, as good Christ...
- thomistking: ‘Mos t priests were taught three models of female sexuality: the pure and holy virgin, the chaste mother who only engages in sex for the sake of conceiving a child, or the wanton...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- 17 July 2018 – 100 years after
- Cobblestones, new vestments, and swag for Zed Heads
- ACTION ITEM! Spiritual Bouquet for Bp. Morlino
- More shallow, angry, cliché feminist rubbish from Fishwrap
- The demographics of church participation are shifting.
- ACTION ITEM! Urgent prayer request for a priest
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- “St Swithin’s day if thou be fair…”
- What priests can – with credibility – do in marriage preparation
- French stones and soutanes
- US Association of Consecrated Virgins condemns confusing new rules from Holy See
- What could possibly go wrong?
- ¡Hagan lío! in Poland. Young, and raising hell…. correction… razing Hell.
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: We can stray off the path to the right or to the left.
- 12 July: Sts. Louis Martin and Marie-Azélie Guérin
- Does “Beans” @MassimoFaggioli undermine ‘Humanae vitae’?
- ASK FATHER: Mom baptized my child in the bathtub
- INTERESTING UPDATE – Pope Francis phones Gianni Vattimo, philosopher of “weak thought”
- SSPX ELECTS NEW SUPERIOR GENERAL – UPDATED
- Ex ore infantium perfecisti laudem
- ASK FATHER: Should a priest have a day off?
- ASK FATHER: Traditional Latin Mass in a Protestant church?
- Madame Defarge (@MichaelSWinters) is upset that people don’t find the Terror – applied to real people today – very funny.
- A little bright spot for your day, a discrete packet of energy for your mind.
- Fr. Perrone: The greatest weapon within the grasp of every Catholic is the keeping of a well-ordered soul
- “We have to learn how to be Roman priests again.” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Left freaks out over SCOTUS pick. Hilarious tweets ensue.
- New FSSP Superior General elected, SSPX is gathered, CSJC … we shall see.
- A mosque at the site of the Battle of Tours!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: April 2016
Here is this week’s Collect, for the 6th Sunday of Easter in the Ordinary Form:
Fac nos, omnipotens Deus, hos laetitiae dies, quos in honorem Domini resurgentis exsequimur, affectu sedulo celebrare, ut quod recordatione percurrimus semper in opere teneamus.
This is glued … Continue reading
In the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite, on Sunday 1 May we celebrate the Feast of St Joseph, Opifex or Worker. We don’t ignore the 5th Sunday after Easter, of course (6th Sunday of Easter in the Novus Ordo): … Continue reading
I spotted a cool article at CNS about four Italian sisters who helped to map a half million stars for the Vatican’s part in a vast mapping project.
Mapping with the stars: Nuns instrumental in Vatican celestial survey
VATICAN CITY (CNS) — … Continue reading
At my home parish of St. Agnes in St. Paul, MN, there are orchestral Masses (Mozart, Schubert, Haydn, Beethoven, etc.) on 30 Sundays of the year, along with Gregorian chant Propers.
This year they added a Mass to the repertory. The … Continue reading
UPDATE: All proceeds from the CD will go to building projects that the nuns have. HELP THEM BUILD!
At CRUX there is a piece about the sisters. Check it out.
Many of the nuns, ranging in age from 18 to 92, don’t … Continue reading
A weasel can chew through a cable and knock out a particle accelerator, but I can’t chew through an egg salad sandwich.
I had what might be called a “dental emergency”. I knocked off the distal cusp of a mandibular molar. Thus, pulling the … Continue reading
“Even if the Pope were Satan incarnate, we ought not to raise up our heads against him” – St. Catherine of Siena
Today is the – in the post-Conciliar, modern, non-traditional – Ordinary Form – Novus Ordo Calendar – Feast of St. Catherine of Siena, Patroness of Europe and named by Paul VI as Doctor of the Church. Thus, her life and … Continue reading
UPDATE: Spaemann’s interview is now in English. HERE
We are all suffering from Amoris defatigatio, I know. But as the days and weeks pile up in the wake of Pope Francis Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation, and many and varying accounts and interpretations of the … Continue reading
I am back at The Cupboard Under The Stairs again after my exile for reasons of the total power down of the building for a few days. The electricity is flowing, but it is still dark in here. But that’s another … Continue reading
Today is the Dies Natalis of St. Gianna Beretta Molla (+28 April 1962 at 39 years of age). That is to say that St. Gianna died and was born into heaven today (thus, “birthday… dies natalis”).
I have posted this before, but … Continue reading
I’m not sure who Katy Perry is, though I have heard the name. I think she may be a pop tart. In any event, here is a strange story about her and some nuns in a property dispute. And it … Continue reading
On this day in 4977 B.C., the universe is created, according to German mathematician and astronomer Johannes Kepler, considered a founder of modern science. Kepler is best known for his theories explaining the motion of planets.
Kepler was born on … Continue reading
In this PODCAzT I read for you the open letter by Bishop Athanasius Schneider, Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of St Mary in Astana, Kazakhstan.
It seems that it was originally released in Italian, but it was subsequently translated into English. … Continue reading
On the way to my ride home.
Delta is being it’s usual pokey self, so there was more time for supper.
It was time for Chinese food in Queens.
Dan dan noodles.
Xiao Long Bao… the stuff of dreams.
Best I’ve ever had anywhere!
Spicy hot … Continue reading
Voice of the Family has an approved English translation of Bp. Athanasius Schneider’s comments on Amoris Laetitia.
It is important that everyone read this, agree or not. He adds an important perspective. I have already quoted from one part in my own … Continue reading