HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Felipe: Thank you for your blog, we need more priests to read and share experience s like these! I hope other priests will be encouraged to accept their right to celebrate their Rite!
- Catholic Tech Geek: Father Z, you should have a good time when you make it to Wheeling, WV. Wheeling holds a special place in my heart. It was in Wheeling at the Cathedral of Saint Joseph that I...
- excalibur: There is the problem. Most of the bishops do not believe in Jesus.
- excalibur: This. Discussion has been droning on for hours into the second day, mostly over the precise wording of various documents, directives , programs, etc. (all of which say more or less...
- Gaetano: As we watch the bishop continue to fumble the abuse crisis, I continue to hope that some bishop will stand up and be the champion clergy abuse survivors deserve. Where is the outra...
- bartlep: I think the #1 problem is the loss of faith. If these abusers were faithfully praying their breviary, praying the rosary, going to confession on a regular basis and seeking spirit...
- quo vado: The Chartres Pilgrimage looks amazing. WouldnR 17;t it be nice if there was a fund there that would allow diocesan seminarian s to go? I doubt many dioceses would fund such a traditi...
- Clinton: I’ve often wondered if our episcopacy would be so resigned to accept the collapse of Catholic demographi cs here in the US if their own careers were linked to concrete, verifia...
- quo vado: We brought our friend who was a Charismati c Catholic to a Low Mass, followed by a Holy Hour of Reparation . Said Holy Hour involved vocal prayers while kneeling for the whole hour. To my...
- rollingrj: Just simply condemning .
- samwise: Al Kresta covered the Declaratio n very well yesterday https://av emariaradi o.net/audi o-archive/ kresta-aft ernoon-jun e-18-2019- hour-2/
- teachermom24: “eff eminacy in prayer must be avoided 221; Yes. I recall St. Teresa of Avila said she could not abide “wee py nuns” ;.
- Traductora: I thought it was a great piece, and I loved what Bishop Baker said! The only sensible man in the room, apparently – or maybe the only believer? I’ve never met him, but he was the...
- Philmont237: As a member of the military, I’ve always wondered if I belong (canonical ly) to the territoria l parish or to the nearest base chapel. Right now I go to the territoria l parish because...
- gdweber: Michael MartinR 17;s Thesaurus Precum Latinarum, http://www .preces-la tinae.org/ index.htm , has Latin versions of many prayers. If you don’ t find what you need there, the...
- Lurker 59: —-&g t;One bishop seems particular ly concerned that sexual [homosexua l] impropriet ies between a bishop and a consenting adult should not be treated too harshly. This is why...
- mrsmontoya: Greetings, Father. In my work as Care Manager for Retired Priests, I am sometimes asked to help a priest “reh ome” some of their materials, especially books. It seems they...
- carndt: Saw it this morning, read it then posted it on Facebook so those of the uninformed could get a, as you simple put, “nailed it” observatio n of Church leadership . Wore a shirt with Vigan...
- veritas vincit: That NRO article was devastatin g. Here’ ;s another piece: “. . . the USCCB as a whole is in serious trouble, mostly owing to the actions and inactions of many of its...
- Fr. Andrew: Author seems to be in touch with St. Jerome. Withering.
- Tina in Ashburn: They want us to believe that the Church has changed its teaching. All this discussion about what this change MEANS in regard to infallibil ity, heresy, the teaching magisteriu m,...
- Tina in Ashburn: Nice! Thank you dear priest whoever you are. “ 230;the prayers, I discovered , were more even more “manly.” ” Reminds me of the directive I found in a thick, real...
- JustaSinner: Father, my apologies if you missed my point. Wonderful news that he gets it? YES! One brick, after all. But still am very saddened that in my lifetime I have been disrespect ed due to...
- ArsAstronautica: ROTFLOL! My personal favorite I get asked from time to time: “Whe re can I find a Latin translatio n of the Mass?̶ 1; Ummmmm. Yeah.
- RWG: Wait a minuteR 30;I hear… ;.crickets chirping 8230;
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: Do we receive also the Holy Spirit in Communion?
- ASK FATHER: Obligation to attend the local parish instead of going somewhere else
- Online Shopping Reminder and BIRETTA PROJECT
- Blistering NRO piece flames the recent USCCB meeting
- ASK FATHER: Trying to translate prayers into Latin, but I don’t trust Google
- Lib ‘c’atholic outcry in … 3… 2… 1
- 15-18 July 2019: East Coast Priest Conference in Wheeling, WV – looks good!
- Fr Rosica, amazing papal claims, and resignations
- Priest apologizes to traditional Catholics: “The future of the Church is in her past.”
- ASK FATHER: Is a concelebrated Mass just one Mass or several Masses?
- NOVENA FOR SEMINARIANS – from Corpus Christi to Sacred Heart, with a Marian Consecration
- A Solemn Mass in Albany in the presence of the bishop. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Thoughts about the change to CCC 2267 on the death penalty
- Chilean priest’s episcopal consecration axed because of some comments
- Canonist Ed Peters eviscerates bishops – one in particular – who won’t apply law
- USCCB meets. They talk about the “nones”. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- New “Chernobyl” TV show and the End Times
- A “Catholic Signal Corps” – Thinking about a Catholic digital future and this blog
- ASK FATHER: Traditional aspergillum or “whisk”?
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Antonio Socci on why Benedict is still Pope and Sam Gregg on the Struggle for Western Civilization
- ASK FATHER: Pipe organs, being expensive, how about manually pumped reed organs?
- ASK FATHER: Alb for a boy’s pretend “Mass” set?
- ASK FATHER: Marital relations after a tubal ligation 22 years ago out of fear of pregnancy
- On a painfully hopeful day, consolation arrives – new icon of Our Lady, Queen of the Clergy
- Wherein Fr. Z reads, rants and prays
- Chief of the Vichy Knights of Malta forbids the Extraordinary Form
- Your Good News
- Cardinals and Bishops issue a “Declaration of Truths” intended to “aid” the Supreme Pontiff
- Octave of Pentecost PODCAzTs
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Monthly Archives: April 2016
Here is this week’s Collect, for the 6th Sunday of Easter in the Ordinary Form: Fac nos, omnipotens Deus, hos laetitiae dies, quos in honorem Domini resurgentis exsequimur, affectu sedulo celebrare, ut quod recordatione percurrimus semper in opere teneamus. This … Continue reading
I spotted a cool article at CNS about four Italian sisters who helped to map a half million stars for the Vatican’s part in a vast mapping project. Mapping with the stars: Nuns instrumental in Vatican celestial survey VATICAN CITY … Continue reading
At my home parish of St. Agnes in St. Paul, MN, there are orchestral Masses (Mozart, Schubert, Haydn, Beethoven, etc.) on 30 Sundays of the year, along with Gregorian chant Propers. This year they added a Mass to the repertory. … Continue reading
UPDATE: All proceeds from the CD will go to building projects that the nuns have. HELP THEM BUILD! At CRUX there is a piece about the sisters. Check it out. […] Many of the nuns, ranging in age from 18 … Continue reading
A weasel can chew through a cable and knock out a particle accelerator, but I can’t chew through an egg salad sandwich. I had what might be called a “dental emergency”. I knocked off the distal cusp of a mandibular molar. Thus, pulling … Continue reading
“Even if the Pope were Satan incarnate, we ought not to raise up our heads against him” – St. Catherine of Siena
Today is the – in the post-Conciliar, modern, non-traditional – Ordinary Form – Novus Ordo Calendar – Feast of St. Catherine of Siena, Patroness of Europe and named by Paul VI as Doctor of the Church. Thus, her life and … Continue reading
UPDATE: Spaemann’s interview is now in English. HERE We are all suffering from Amoris defatigatio, I know. But as the days and weeks pile up in the wake of Pope Francis Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation, and many and varying accounts and interpretations of … Continue reading
I am back at The Cupboard Under The Stairs again after my exile for reasons of the total power down of the building for a few days. The electricity is flowing, but it is still dark in here. But that’s another … Continue reading
Today is the Dies Natalis of St. Gianna Beretta Molla (+28 April 1962 at 39 years of age). That is to say that St. Gianna died and was born into heaven today (thus, “birthday… dies natalis”). I have posted this before, … Continue reading
I’m not sure who Katy Perry is, though I have heard the name. I think she may be a pop tart. In any event, here is a strange story about her and some nuns in a property dispute. And it … Continue reading
From History… On this day in 4977 B.C., the universe is created, according to German mathematician and astronomer Johannes Kepler, considered a founder of modern science. Kepler is best known for his theories explaining the motion of planets. Kepler was … Continue reading
In this PODCAzT I read for you the open letter by Bishop Athanasius Schneider, Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of St Mary in Astana, Kazakhstan. It seems that it was originally released in Italian, but it was subsequently translated into … Continue reading
On the way to my ride home. Delta is being it’s usual pokey self, so there was more time for supper. It was time for Chinese food in Queens. Dan dan noodles. Xiao Long Bao… the stuff of dreams. … Continue reading
Voice of the Family has an approved English translation of Bp. Athanasius Schneider’s comments on Amoris Laetitia. HERE It is important that everyone read this, agree or not. He adds an important perspective. I have already quoted from one part in … Continue reading