Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- exNOAAman: Annunciati on not Assumption . I really buggered that didn’ ;t I?
- exNOAAman: Has anyone noted that 25 March is Greek Independen ce Day? Also Maryland Day. Because of the BVM. I suspect that if the modern legislatur e realized the state is named for St. Mary; and...
- Louis Mountbatten: I’ve had enough, of him and this entire hierarchy. Expel and excommunic ate the heretics and restore our worship to its traditiona l forms. Then just maybe the sodomi...
- HvonBlumenthal: Not long ago, as a Knight of Malta I greeted a chaplain of the order and attempted to kiss his hand, as I do the hands of all priests. He snatched his hand away and said “No, no,...
- stpetric: I recently celebrated Mass at the central Catholic church in Istanbul — where Christians are 1% of the population , and Catholics are a minority of that 1%. Where we in America have...
- Jerome Charles: BBC reports that per Vatican tv footage, many people greeted the Pope during that event and kissed his ring. So, I don’ t think we can assume that it’s the Pope’ ;s...
- Kerry: “ 230;part of who God created me to be”. The Image of God part, or the Likeness of God part?
- Kerry: ” A spokesman for the Charles Schulz syndicate said Lucy was ‘amu sed’ at Charlie Brown̵ 7;s reaction when she jerked the football away” ;.
- Kathleen10: These men are emptying the church and with this type of unloading, locking the door too. People have their own crosses and burdens in life, there is so much misery out here, the last...
- Jerome Charles: “Fur thermore, if he can live with “integrity ” after this, then it could very well be that he will have a far higher place in heaven than I ever will. He has been offered a...
- Kathleen10: A few years ago a kind priest blessed an object I had brought to church. He didn’ ;t know me, I didn’ ;t know him. I was grateful, and had the impulse to kiss his hand, and...
- Fr Martin Fox: What makes this egregious is the way it was done. If the Holy Father did not wish to have his hand kissed — perhaps he has pain or feels awkward about a rash — then the...
- Marine Mom: For to carry burdens without complaint and without letting the whole world know about them, to face personal problems without casting them on to others backs; this is to be responsibl e...
- Richard_amdg: Having considered the difference s between the two images, I think His Holiness resisted the faithful at Loreto because they were not appropriat ely attired. Isn’ t it obvious?
- haydn seeker: In full charity, videos on the internet aren’ ;t always what they appear, as the Covington Catholic saga showed. Apparently plenty of people did kiss the papal ring at Loreto...
- Fr. Kelly: What is a little unnerving is that this scene occurs after the Annunciati on Mass at the Holy House of Loreto you can see it beginning about 1:12:19 on the video that Fr. Z posted below....
- The Cobbler: Having just read Dietrich von Hildebrand ’s “My Battle Against HitlerR 21; (werenR 17;t you recommendi ng that a while back, Father?), I have a hunch that triumph...
- JamesM: I know of several EF Vigils celebrated at similar times. The reason being that they are celebrated in ChurchR 17;s where there is already an OF Vigil being celebrated . They work with...
- Ave Maria: Jesuit priest as a ‘spi ritual director 8217;? What could go wrong?
- OrdinaryCatholic: I have a serious question. Why or what is it about the Jesuits that makes them so contrarian to the Catholic Faith? When did this start? Why did it start? I’m serious here,...
- lordhavemercy: My spiritual director, thank you Lord for him, is very orthodox wears the cassock, and celebrates the Tridentine Mass, also gets similar horrible letters about him sent to him...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Thank you for these. I seem to get my rear in gear and on the road for work faster when I listen to these first thing in the morning.
- JustaSinner: Yes the homosexual s wrecked that word AND stole the rainbow!
- AA Cunningham: An Extraordin ary Form Solemn High Mass was celebrated at The Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception in Denver last night offered by Father Mason Fraley with Father Joseph...
- THREEHEARTS: does not the Catholic Church, as opposed to the catholic church, teach that you cannot have the virtue of charity without the virtue of religion and vice versa. This was taught in...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Catholics and the kissing of rings… or not. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Jesuit-run homosexualist Amerika’s latest pro-sodomy blasphemy
- LENTCAzT 2019 21 – Tuesday of the 3rd Week of Lent: From the very threshold
- ALERT! Registration queue
- ASK FATHER: How early can the Easter Vigil begin?
- VIDEO: Francis’ Mass ad orientem at Loreto and… something else
- 25 March: Feast of The Good Thief, St. Dismas
- LENTCAzT 2019 20 – Monday of the 3rd Week of Lent: The angel’s greeting to Mary
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Pasta e ceci … with a quiz
- ASK FATHER: Bishop forces priest to use table altar instead of high altar for Extraordinary Form
- LENTCAzT 2019 19 – 3rd Sunday of Lent: Mass is not a souvenir
- Vicious letter to a young, faithful priest
- LENTCAzT 2019 18 – Saturday in the 2nd Week: God chooses the weak
- STOP THE PRESSES: Young people sing in the Illinois State Capitol
- Study Commission: no evidence women were ordained to the diaconate
- Your Good News – UPDATED
- Dots to connect
- STATIONS OF THE CROSS – Audio from Fr. Z
- LENTCAzT 2019 17 – Friday in the 2nd Week: The most efficacious devotion?
- Wherein Fr. Z makes an appeal to the readership
- “Dear Fathers, dear seminarians…” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- LENTCAzT 2019 16 – Thursday in the 2nd Week: “Don’t give me heaven! Instead give me…”
- George Weigel on “Two Georges” and future persecution
- Francis’ Triduum Schedule: strange lacuna
- Bp. Schneider: On the question of a heretical pope
- ASK FATHER: Father doses off during Mass
- LENTCAzT 2019 15 – Wednesday in the 2nd Week: Card. Burke
- Officially BADASS CATHOLIC PHOTO
- Germany: More dissent from nuns
- “Te, Ioseph celebrent”, a hymn in honor of the Terror of Demons
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: December 2016
From the bottom of my beady black heart, I send out thanks to all of you readers for your many acts of kindness and your attention over the last year. Let’s all pray that this next year of salvation, 2017, … Continue reading
Today, the last day of the year, you have an opportunity to obtain a plenary indulgence, under the usual conditions, by taking part in the recitation or singing of the Te Deum in a church or oratory. Tomorrow, 1 January, … Continue reading
I haven’t posted about Ham Radio lately. I haven’t been active. I have no “shack” at the moment here in the Cupboard Under the Stairs. (No bird feeders, either… though I do have a stove, now. That’s something.) However, I … Continue reading
I had a note about the obligation to do Friday penance (usually through abstinence) on the Friday in the Octave of Christmas. HERE. Yes, we were obliged to do penance… except where we weren’t. The reason is that the days … Continue reading
From a reader… some lighter fare. QUAERITUR: Sometimes I see faithful, traditional priests as heroes. That word might be overused today, but that’s how I see it. They work in obscurity and take a lot of hard knocks and keep … Continue reading
From a priest… QUAERITUR: I know that Canon Law currently permits, although discourages, a priest to say a Mass alone (i.e. without server or faithful). I’ve heard that previously, it was forbidden under penalty of mortal sin to say Mass … Continue reading
As seen on NLM: Four Bloggers Submit Dubium to Eye of the Tiber Concerning Its Status as Satire GREGORY DIPIPPO Four prominent members of the Catholic blogosphere – Fr John Zuhsldorf of Fr Z’s Blog (formerly called “What Does the Prayer … Continue reading
It’s mid-afternoon coffee time. How is your supply? You know what to do.
From a reader… already… Is Friday, December 30, a Meat Friday since it falls within the Octave of Christmas? It is good to see that someone is planning ahead. As I write we are a fortnight from the day in … Continue reading
I have occasionally exhorted you to … GO TO CONFESSION! I shall continue to do so. I take seriously my duty to try to keep as many of you out of Hell as I can and get as many as … Continue reading
Today is Childermas, the Feast of the Holy Innocents. Lully, lulla, thou little tiny child, By by, lully lullay, thou little tiny child, By by, lully lullay. O sisters too, How may we do For to preserve this day This … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I recently read about the indulgences formerly attached to being touched by the ‘penitential wand’ in Rome in the Raccolta. I’ve been trying to find more information about this practice online, all to no avail. I … Continue reading
I have an ACTION ITEM for you good readers. You have been generous to causes I have mentioned in the past. Sometimes people have a hard time finding causes to support. This is one of them that I admire. RIGHT NOW… … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: In general it seems that we only ask God to have mercy on us. This is most clear in litanies of the saints, where the response for a saint is ‘pray for us’, but the response … Continue reading
From a reader… For the Year of Mercy, Pope Francis gave permission to receive Absolution from SSPX priests. Has that permission ended with the Year of Mercy or is it still in effect? We can’t find an official answer explaining … Continue reading