Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Paul of St Paul: I was not aware of Catholic concerns about yoga until this post. If Father or readers could spare the time I would appreciate a short post on this subject, or a link to a longer...
- Sawyer: The praytellbl og has picked up on Cardinal Sarah̵ 7;s remarks too. Over there the readers 217; comments are overwhelmi ngly mocking him for his suggestion , saying that his Euchar...
- frjim4321: Well, it seems like it was still valid. I’ve yet to hear a cogent argument for how you can baptize females but not ordain them. [It’ s easy. Women are human beings but they...
- SenexCalvus: Hey, y’all! We’ll be celebratin g under-repr esented faith traditions in an ecumenical service at my faith community’ s worship center this Sun Day, and you’re invited! We’ll be...
- Grumpy Beggar: Thanks for this post. . . . Just when I thought I couldnR 17;t respect Cardinal Sarah any more than I already do , you found a way to make it happen. That “mor e respect...
- Sword40: ” [He seems to agree with a call that EWTN be “interdict ed” unless Raymond Arroyo is fired.] 221; And where is the “mer cy and forgivenes s and understand ing and toleran...
- Joy65: SO absolutely beautiful. Where could a smaller version of this statue be purchased? I would LOVE to give one to our Pastor.
- LeeGilbert: At our wonderful parish in Portland, we 1. Have a communion rail 2. Communion distribute d only by priests at that rail. ( How appropriat e that the priest in persona Christi distrib...
- clare joseph: If it’s true, this is extremely cool, and I’ll bet Our Lady loves it.
- Joy65: I would be MORE than happy to receive kneeling. I already receive on the tongue. Hopefully they will bring back the kneelers.
- jameeka: How very beautiful!
- tamranthor: When churches are remodeled and altar rails done away with, and Jesus is put in a closet somewhere, then the church building itself tends toward Protestant ism. The architectu re of...
- ejcmartin: Frankly I am surprised that “social justice” warriors like the Jesuits would stoop to such cultural approbatio n. (One Canadian university refused to offer yoga unless it was taught by...
- Ben Kenobi: When I went through my discernmen t I had to assess the question, “If my church were wrong about God and his mission, who is in the right?R 21; It was easy enough to do what so...
- APX: Little by little the thought may gradually prevail: “If even the parish priest does not pay attention to the fragments, if he administer s Communion in such a way that the fragments can be...
- hwriggles4: This reminds me (Yes, Really) of the time our 6th grade CCD class did meditation – it was the late 1970s. We closed our eyes and our instructor led us. As a kid, I didn’ ;t...
- David: Fr. Andrew: People aren’ ;t taking penalties about papal election laws very seriously these days, are they?
- David: Very, very interestin g to me this coming from Cardinal Sarah right after Cardinal MüllerR 17;s splendid remarks about the nature of the papacy. I sense the “bon i” are...
- tho: JARay, I accept your correction . What I was trying to say, in a rather clumsy way, was that allowing the so called spirit of VII to take over the church was very destructiv e.
- S D Molokai: Although not prohibited , I’ve been discourage d from receiving communion on the tongue while kneeling at my parish. Something about not showing unity with the other parishi...
- Sid Cundiff in NC: So good that someone in the upper church hierarchy is against in the hand. I’m not holding my breath for something to be done to stop in the hand.
- The ol catholic try: I think I have finally figured out why Jesuit “pov erty” ; goes a looooooooo oooong way. If they are fudging the numbers this badly then they are bound to tally some...
- rhhenry: Well, seeing as how they’ ;re already contorting themselves doctrinall y . . .
- Ave Maria: I think these truth tellers like Fathers Rutler and Murray need to watch their backs!
- Knight from 13904: I hope Raymond Arroyo covers this story on his show tonight. Ask Fr. Gerald Murray what the heck is going on in this diocese???
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Card. Sarah: return to Communion directly on the tongue while kneeling
- JUST TOO COOL: Recently received missal stand and statue of Our Lady
- Wherein Rutler thrashes @AntonioSpadaro
- BRAZIL: Did these bishops allow women to concelebrate Mass?
- Promoted by @JamesMartinSJ – Jesuits have yoga in church sanctuary at a school
- LENTCAzT 2018 09 – Thursday in the 1st Week of Lent: The inexhaustible virtue of the Word
- Fr. Murray on “lived experience”, “accompaniment”, “conscience”
- More news from the New catholic Red Guard
- Making the Church appealing. What “sells”?
- LENTCAzT 2018 08 – Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Never ending combat
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Monthly Archives: July 2017
Winters responded! HERE
ORIGINALLY Published on: Jul 31, 2017:
The other day Michael Sean Winters, the juggernaut writer for the Fishwrap, attacked you readers here. HERE He did so, because one of you asked me about the Most Holy Rosary as a “weapon”.
He ignored the context … Continue reading
Writers for the Fishwrap (aka National Sodomitic Reporter) and Amerika type Jesuits want us to become like these forward-looking, progressives whom they so idolize.
This was sent by a friend. Here’s a smattering with my emphases and comments.
From American Conservative:
Spin Of The Year [Accompanied by a pic … Continue reading
My good friend Fr. Finigan, aka His Hermeneuticalness, has a doozy of a post today about admirable Jesuits, on this the feast of their founder, St. Ignatius. HERE
He names some great Jesuits, many of whom I know and one of whom … Continue reading
May I say from the onset that I have some spiffy Pope Clement XIV gear? HERE
Here is the Martyrologium Romanum entry for great saint, the founder of the Society of Jesus. (To the right is my first class relic of … Continue reading
This Sunday’s Collect in the Extraordinary Form is from the ancient Veronese Sacramentary and the Gelasian and the so-called Gregorian. It survived the liturgical tailors with their scissors and thread to live on in the post-Conciliar Missale Romanum on Thursday … Continue reading
Was there a good point made in the sermon you heard during the Holy Mass in fulfillment your of Sunday Obligation? Let us know.
Time to head home. In other words, it’s time for another bout with Delta.
On my computer screen in that photo, is the text of a comment posted under my last travel post extravagantly defending Delta! HERE. To which I … Continue reading
From a reader…
I recently heard a priest announce to his congregation that the St. Michael Prayer had been “suppressed” by Vatican II. [No.] People could still pray it privately, but it could not be recited in congregation after mass. Is this correct? This … Continue reading
Have you followed the tennis match back and forth that has resulted since Card. Sarah’s suggestion in La Nef that the Extraordinary and the Ordinary Forms of Mass should have a coordinated Lectionary?
Some were cool about that suggestion and others … Continue reading
Shall we look at the Collect for this Sunday’s Holy Mass in the Ordinary Form?
Protector in te sperantium, Deus, sine quo nihil est validum, nihil sanctum, multiplica super nos misericordiam tuam, ut, te rectore, te duce, sic bonis transeuntibus nunc utamur, ut iam possimus … Continue reading
I picked up this great quote on Sententiae Antiquae. My emphases and comments:
Hugo of St. Victor, Didascalion
On the Study of Reading – Preface (Part I)
“There are many whom nature has left so destitute of intellect that they are unable to grasp even those things … Continue reading
From a reader…
One of our Diocesan (Salt Lake City) Priests [Msgr. M. Francis Mannion] wrote an op-ed for our local Diocese Newspaper entitled “Some Items That Caught My Attention Recently”. In this piece, (HERE) he talks about how the Eastern Rite has ordained … Continue reading
Today there is a “Defense of Converts” in First Things.
There is a defense because there was an attack.
A couple days back, at the Fishwrap (aka National Sodomitic Reporter), the Wile E. Coyote of the catholic Left, Michael Sean Winters, attacked converts.
At Al … Continue reading
This isn’t the sort of thing that should pull much of our attention or energy. However, I have been asked about it in email by a surprising number of people, including priests.
It seems that the site Messa in latino picked up … Continue reading
Some years back, 19 March 2013 to be exact, I published here a manifesto entitled “Dear Traditionalists” to which I return from time to time. I still adhere to it.
In that piece I featured a photo of aspiring Navy SEALs … Continue reading
I have had notes from reader about good things going on.
First, I call your attention to a good initiative in the Diocese of Burlington (Vermont). A new group has been established called the St. Philip Neri Latin Mass Chaplaincy. I … Continue reading
My email is filling with panicked messages about a story at LifeSite which suggests that Pope Francis is maneuvering to end the universal legislation established by Benedict XVI in Summorum Pontificum. HERE
Please, friends, breathe into a paper bag or whatever else … Continue reading
REVIEW – Peter Kwasniewski’s new book: Noble Beauty, Transcendent Holiness: Why the Modern Age Needs the Mass of Ages
I’m digging into Peter Kwasniewski’s new book:
Noble Beauty, Transcendent Holiness: Why the Modern Age Needs the Mass of Ages
US HERE – UK HERE
It has a forward by the great Martin Mosebach, author of The Heresy of Formlessness (a must read, a … Continue reading
From a reader…
With the increase of transgender people pushing their agenda, would it be possible for a biological woman who thinks she’s a he and has gone through the Sex “change” process somehow slip through the cracks and make it to ordination, or … Continue reading