Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- pseudomodo: Why does everything have to happen on an airplane ? Is this going to be known as the era of the Avion Popes?
- Ave Crux: This is very troubling for many reasons: 1) How many people put on the spot that way by the Pope himself and in front of others (and each other!) could have refused even if they had...
- Fr_Andrew: There is one small other detail, Father : Confession . These people have been living in sin for 8 years. While it is good to remove them from this situation, and, presuming that everyt...
- ChrisP: I am of the opinion this was another crafted stunt at 38,000 ft. This happened around the same time media were reporting PF was backing Bishop Barros who stands accused of hiding sexual...
- Will Elliott: I’ve mentioned this on other Catholic sites, but don’ t remember if I’ve ever mentioned it here – several times over the past couple of years I’ve left...
- Mojoron: In my business when I confront an employee that has committed a sin of not adhering to department al protocol, It is a patient care protocol so it IS important, if he/she takes more than...
- Uxixu: I found a bunch of pictures of Los Angeles glory days from the 1920’ ;s to 1940’ ;s under Archbishop John J Cantwell. One in particular showed him kneeling at the altar at the...
- rdb: A Pope on a plane throws priests under the bus. Rare is the parish priest who has not been asked to witness a marriage on the beach, in the backyard, or some other “mea ningful 221;...
- Curate: Firstly, yes, I also wish the couple a holy life together and pray that they are disposed to receive this sacramenta l grace. There were two things I thought of: 1) Asking a couple out of...
- ChiaraDiAssisi: How romantic. *eye roll
- Sawyer: I got that sinking feeling in my stomach when I read the Crux story. Pope Francis has a pastorR 17;s heart and a shepherd 8217;s heart; I wish he had a canonist 8217;s and theolog...
- FrAnt: Why should I even try? Maybe the Pope could jump out of the plane and the 5 of them (bride, groom, witnesses, and pope) could parachute to St. Peter̵ 7;s square. Because you know, others...
- PostCatholic: The company issued the denial via BuzzFeed News. I won’ t link the article but it’s not difficult to find at that site. I suppose it’s not in the corporate website...
- Benedict Joseph: Why would anyone believe this to be anything other than another hyperbolic display engineered for ideologica l purpose, bolstered by a counterint uitive comic/dram atic script?...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: I certainly hope we are spared any future scandal of finding out one of these two people is civilly divorced without an annulment.
- RAve: “Civ illy married, in love, and you want to get married in the Church? Great! – come to Las Vegas̵ 7;s newest resort, Vaticana!, and get married in our replica Sistine Chapel....
- CanukFrank: I ALWAYS turn off my IPhone before I go into confession . Friends of ours had an unfortunat e experience where relations between the battling in-laws had finally come to a delic...
- James in Perth: Question: Canon 15 of the Council of Chalcedon (A.D. 451) states as follows: “No woman under forty years of age is to be ordained a deacon, and then only after close scruti...
- James in Perth: I’ve never had a priest say anything other than “I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. 221; Except maybe...
- Fr. Kelly: RE: the Cappa Magna Quite a bit has been written about it in recent years, since it has begun to be seen in use on several occasions by notable prelates such as Karol Wojtyla, Cardi...
- Ellen: I have an Echo Dot. I actually like it. It sets alarms and timers, gives me the weather, plays some games with me (Jeopardy) and I have Prayer Buddy on it so I say the rosary and chaplet of...
- majuscule: PostCathol ic– I’m always willing to give “the other side” ; a read so I went in search of Twitter 217;s “cor rection 221; of the “rep orting&...
- Semper Gumby: Happy travels Fr. Z. A Rosary for all those at the March tomorrow. jaykay: Eirinn go Brach! acardnal: “Rea gan National 8221; really does have a nice ring to it. Kathleen10 :...
- Fr. Kelly: padredana, I just checked the 1961 collectio rituum and it only has the Latin for the whole rite — no English at all. With my own translatio n of the rubrics, it reads thus: 1....
- Semper Gumby: God bless Fr. Murray. “The charge of legalist is usually thrown out by someone who doesn̵ 7;t like the Law… The ChurchR 17;s law on adultery is based on the Ten...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Canonist Ed Peters on the Papal mid-air airplane nuptials
- The Pope marries a couple on the papal airplane. Hmmm.
- Big Business Is WATCHING!
- My View For Awhile: March For Life 2018 Edition
- “The Triumph of Marcantonio Colonna” described
- ASK FATHER: Would anything prevent a priest from always using the traditional formula of absolution?
- 2 Feb – MADISON – Candlemas – Pontifical Mass at the Throne
- Card. Müller on authority of Popes, possibility of others correcting contradictory papal teachings
- ASK FATHER: If I remember a sin after confessing, should I interrupt the priest and tell him?
- Slithery misdirection from the National Sodomitical Reporter: Bishops who avoid scandal commit scandal
- An Armenian bishop “ordains” a deaconette
- Two seriously ugly signs of the times involving papal honors and the silencing of bells
- BOOK RECEIVED about Martin Luther (not King but by “King”)
- ASK FATHER: How do I find out which territorial parish I live in?
- Who cares what libs think? Boldly recover and use great traditional items and vesture of yore.
- ASK FATHER: If I confess to watching porn, must I say it was homosexual porn?
- ACTION ITEM! Petition against removal of historic Cross where Fr. Marquette died
- ASK FATHER: We want our children to have reverent Masses. Can we go to the SSPX chapel?
- VIDEO Bp. Athanasius Schneider interview about “Amoris laetitia” Controversy
- ASK FATHER: Should I tell a noisy penitent that we can hear everything said in the confessional?
- Observing the Feast of the Ass – 14 January
- A false #missilethreat is NOTHING compared to this REAL DEATH THREAT
- 14 Jan – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Fr. Murray on EWTN with outstanding commentary on recent developments
- Wherein Fr. Z comments on a @RorateCaeli post about priests, permissions and exorcism prayers. Then @fatherz rants.
- Wherein @MassimoFaggioli tosses another nastygram at the “rigorist” straw man
- ASK FATHER: URGENT EMERGENCY PREDICAMENT! Mass in Presence of a Prelate but we don’t have a Pax Brede!
- How bad is the situation of vocations to the priesthood tragic Germany?
- Esolen on virtue and chastity in “Wonder Woman” (not the one you immediately thought of)
- DISGUSTING LBGT story reveals something about homosexualist agenda in the Church. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Monthly Archives: October 2017
The people of New York City has experienced another terror attack. The perp ran people down with a rented truck. When he got out of the truck, he shouted “Allahu akbar”. He was eventually shot and taken alive. In his … Continue reading
ME! ME! ME!
I! I! I!
MINE! MINE! MINE!
We are living in an age when many people think they can do whatever the hell they want and there should be no consequences for them.
DO whatever they want? HAH! If only. They think … Continue reading
My friend Fr. Jay Finelli let me know a while ago that Bishop of Worcester has granted canonical status to the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary in Still River, MA. He has this on his site:
Congratulations to my … Continue reading
In these United States, be sure to check your parish schedules for Masses.
Wednesday 1 November 2017 is a Holy Day of OBLIGATION.
For our part, there will be a Missa Cantata at St. Mary’s in Pine Bluff, WI, in the Extraordinary Form
Remember that … Continue reading
I read a truly fascinating post at the blog of the British Library for Digitised Manuscripts.
It is about medieval trope of the Three Living and Three Dead.
Given the time of year this is, it is appropriate and helpful!
The precise origins of … Continue reading
H.L. Mencken in 1923 about translation of sacred texts, liturgy. Hilarious, prophetic, applicable now.
One of you readers here sent this. It is by H.L Mencken, an influential American columnist in the 20th c. He was prodigiously clever, but clever enough to avoid being a fan of Nietzche and an enemy of religion. He … Continue reading
From the Catholic League:
Attack On Bishop Morlino Is Scurrilous
October 30, 2017
Catholic League president Bill Donohue comments on recent attacks on Bishop Robert Morlino of the Diocese of Madison (Wisconsin):
Catholics in the Diocese of Madison are very fortunate to have such … Continue reading
Mesdames et Messieurs…
French High Court Orders Removal of Cross Above Statue of Pope John Paul II
The French administrative court has ordered the removal of a cross from a monument to Saint John Paul II in a public square in … Continue reading
I can only interpret Massimo “Beans” Faggioli’s confused statements about the Rosary as a cry for help. Otherwise, what he has repeated is truly dreadful.
I have already posted a request to you readers to say the Rosary for him. HERE
Now … Continue reading
I’ve been mentioning – and finding mentions of – St. Michael often of late.
I’m praying the longer, mighty St. Michael Prayer daily now. As a matter of fact, I just said it again as an important meeting about which I … Continue reading
The other day I put a link on the sidebar and on the top menu to a page I made with the longer, original prayer to St. Michael the Archangel. I’ve started to use this prayer daily. The times call … Continue reading
From an old prayerbook for priests which I’ve had since before my ordination. They are dense with old wisdom.
Here are two prayers, in Latin and English, for priests, for before and after they make confession their own confession.
I’ve added accent … Continue reading
In the Church’s traditional calendar, this final Sunday in October is celebrated as the Feast of Christ the King. This feast was implemented by Pope Piux XI in 1925 with Quas primas, in the face of secularism, the spread of materialistic … Continue reading
Everyone, please accept my thanks for your feedback sent by email and by snail mail and for your prayers.
Thanks, today especially, for your many birthday greetings. They are an encouragement.
Also, some items came from my Amazon Wish Lists, both concrete … Continue reading