Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Suburbanbanshee: Re: dawg, Fr Z is referring to the Northern Cities fronting of the vowel, as opposed to the Midlands or Southern use of the sound of caught or cot. If the vowel is all the way up...
- benedetta: I take it, alas, that frjim4321, if he cannot appreciate and embrace homeschool ers authentica lly in caritas, would also be the sort of priest unable to appreciate and enjoy a good yarn...
- chantgirl: Diocesan and religious order Catholic schools have largely lost their way. I initially tried 2 different Catholic schools with my oldest, but withdrew him after growing tired of him...
- iPadre: Immediatel y upon the first pic, Frank̵ 7;s song “My kind of town” ; came to mind.
- John F.: One of my favorite meat markets is Paulina Meat market. Is convenient to the Paulina station on the Ravenswood train (Brown line for youngsters )
- New Sister: I read about this apostolic blessing in the testimony given by Père Jean-Bapti ste, Canon Regular at the Abbey Sainte-Mar ie de Lagrasse. It was he who gave anointing of the sick and...
- JesusFreak84: Knew where you were on the first shot, because I sometimes drive under an L track on my way to the Shrine of Christ the King, Sovereign Priest. (Also, don’ t let those Sox...
- Joy65: Our Pastor has given the Apostolic Pardon quite a few times and speaks about this often especially at funerals. I pray that I will be able to receive the Apostolic Pardon before I am called...
- Jeannine: Have you ever gone here, Father Z? I learned about it from the Dresden Files: http://sma -church.or g/
- FatherEvansJulce: Sadly, I had a conversati on with a priest of 25+ years who asked “isn ’t the apostolic pardon reserved to bishops? 8221; So much unnecessar y suffering& #8230;
- Fr. Kelly: Cjrs_79 says: I do have a comment and a question: I am finding my way to tradition, but I am anti-gun and I despise Donal (sic) Trump. Cjrs_79, It seems to me that your question about...
- excalibur: If I want a salad I’ll take it on the side, not messing up my hot dog. LOL They have some strange food ideas in Chicago no doubt.
- Anneliese: My hometown. I hope you go to Giordanos for pizza. And stay warm, please.
- momoften: “Home schooling in the United States is the necessary concomitan t of a culture in which the Church is being opposed on every level of her existence and, as a consequenc e, given the...
- jaykay: Kurtmasur: “I doubt tradtional catholics in Europe are pro-gun as this is not a big deal in that continent… In fact, most people in Europe are baffled by the USA’s 2nd Amendment and...
- Fr Martin Fox: “ 230;when I order a hot dawg (I believe that’s the correct transliter ation)R 30;” How else would one pronounce it?
- Thorfinn: To the points about the particular advantages of homeschool ing (attention to the liturgical year, opportunit y to attend Mass, authentic Catholic curriculum ) I would add that homesch...
- TonyO: John Pomeroy makes a good point. The media during the late 80’s , 90’s and 00’s attacked homeschool ing through the use of a meme “wil l they be socialized ?R...
- Mariana2: IMMO, ego sum pater tuus.
- sibnao: Numbers aside, I’d like to chime in regarding why homeschool ing might have a link to increased vocations. Homeschool ed children have more time to themselves . They have a little...
- bigtex: Fr. Z livin the high life… ;this Bud’ s for you. [Yep. Hot dogs and popcorn! But… Bud? Really? First, isn’ t Miller the “hig h life” ;? And, next, “...
- JustaSinner: Hope you’ re rooting for the Cardinals, of the St. Louis diocese! Chicago, another once proud US city ruined by stupidity and liberalism . Sorry New York, Chicago-st yle ‘...
- msmsem: At my seminary, deacons were required to know the formulae for the Anointing of the Sick, the Absolution , and the Apostolic Pardon prior to graduation . We’d have until a set date to...
- Lorra: I’m genuinely am sorry to say that I find this to be the case more often than not but I would never confront a priest about it. I’m just grateful he is a priest and that he is...
- Midwest St. Michael: Aw man! You were at Wrigley watching the Redbirds beat da Little Bears, Fr. Z?! Wish I would have been paying more attention to the crowd behind the plate. :-/ BTW, given the...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- HUGE Fr. Z kudos to a reader who wrote to bishops about the important Apostolic Pardon
- My View For A While: Mystery City
- Connection of home-schooling and entering seminary
- ASK FATHER: “My 4 year old insists on praying in Latin.” Latin resources for young children?
- A bishop, black vestments and refreshing commonsense!
- ASK FATHER: Priest Mumbles Words of Absolution. Fr. Z says: FATHERS! Stop being JACKASSES and do it right!
- Shamefaced self-promotion with warm thanks to benefactors
- “If it’s just a symbol, then to hell with it!” Wherein a Lutheran tells it as it is and then Fr. Z rants a lot.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Good Shepherd – AUDIO
- ASK FATHER: Communion twice in a day. But is Communion under both species already twice?
- ASK FATHER: Catholic betrothal rite, ceremony
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday after Easter (TLM): joy, devastation and rising
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Two VERY different DAUGHTERS!
- I’ve decided. I’m for arming teachers and the Rule of Law
- Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal opine on latest developments
- 28 April – PONTIFICAL TLM at Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
- St. Michael the Extremely Cool Samurai Archangel, defend us in battle!
- “O my God, make them like a wheel; * and as stubble before the wind.” Consolation from a Psalm.
- “Why Trappist ale tastes better”
- WDTPRS – 3rd Sunday of Easter (Novus Ordo): a candle is honey sweet summons
- @austinruse on “Slippery Jim” @JamesMartinSJ and his non-explanation explanation
- IMPORTANT from @HeartbeatIntl – abortion pill reversal method rescues babies without bad effects, physicians network
- Gallup Poll points to future demographic disaster. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- R.J. Snell reviews @DouthatNYT book about Pope Francis and his pontificate
- Jesuits to host homosexual “Pride Prom” at @MarquetteU
- Beautiful video about the Traditional Latin Mass. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Look! Up in the sky! It’s a bird… it’s a plane… it’s…. STEVE!
- The Sovereign Merciless Order of Malta – Another step toward creepy.
- Reading #GaudeteEtExsultate – Pope Francis blasts “punctilious concern for the Church’s liturgy”
- Reading “Gaudete et exsultate”: Pope Francis schools those who shy from spiritual combat imagery
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Daily Archives: 11 October 2017
This is really important.
I’ve been waiting for a Dominican well-versed in Thomas to examine the claim that Amoris laetitia is a “Thomistic” document and/or that it makes good use of the Angelic Doctor’s words.
At LifeSite find an examination by Father Thomas Crean, … Continue reading
From a reader…
Thanks for all that you do on this blog. It’s been a real blessing for me and my family over the years. My question concerns confirmation. I live in a diocese where the bishop has established a “policy” … Continue reading
The other day Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone of San Francisco consecrated the archdiocese entrusted to his care to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
Many bishops are doing the same with their dioceses. I have a growing list HERE.
In his sermon, Archbp. Cordileone spoke … Continue reading
UPDATE: Some people are sending me emails about consecrations. Thanks, but sorry. I want them posted here and I am not going to do that work. I have enough to do.
Register.. get approved… post.
I have been hearing numerous reports that bishops … Continue reading
Many these days feel a little helpless as the lib Steamroller of Ambiguity squishes sickeningly forward, reducing clarity to an amorphous goo of permissive self-justification.
What can we do?
Feel helpless no longer.
You have at your disposal – 24/7 – powerful arms against the Enemy … Continue reading
Last Saturday I was in the Diocese of Santa Rosa, in Napa Valley, CA, to speak at a conference.
At one point I had noticed smoke plumes on the far sides of a large Eastern ridge. On Saturday evening the other priest … Continue reading