Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Katherine: The idea that seminarian s need female teachers is simply ridiculous ! They have mothers, and sisters, and aunts, grandmothe rs, neighbors, and teachers 8230; It defies reality that...
- Fr Martin Fox: I certainly have no issue with good manly examples in seminary life. That said, I would encourage readers — who I assume are not very familiar with seminary life, and I̵...
- MaryofSharon: My parents told me about the homily of their young priest who has only been ordained one year. He spoke of the impact of the earlier scandals on him as he first began to discern his...
- MaryofSharon: Exceptiona l homily by a young priest just two years after his ordination . He spoke of his sorrow and anger and how he felt led, in prayer before the Blessed Sacrament last week, to...
- Kathleen10: frjim, agreed, any bishops who covered or enabled homosexual predators to continue need to be outed and removed. Totally agree. But furthermor e, if the church and the bishops will not...
- seeker: Sometimes I laugh out loud at the wit here. Jokes about chaps with no underpants and penetratio n ?It’ s OK if someone on a hard identity Catholic blog questions the taste of that....
- bibi1003: Dear God in heaven, protect our priests. Comfort and heal Fr. Hutsko and give him the strength to carry on. Surround him with love and encouragem ent. Please help his attacker truly...
- KT127: That’s a great idea! It will also likely encourage more attendance and participat ion from lay Catholic men. Win-win!
- HvonBlumenthal: The ill judged attempt to portray the scandal of predatory clerical unchastity as purely an issue of paedophili a will certainly lead to more instances of this kind.
- Dismas: This is hardly surprising , rather expected actually. As a husband and father, I am universall y loathed. My efforts and sacrifices for my wife and children are publicly dismissed when not...
- Nan: My Eparchy. Now they’ ;re getting personal. Praying.
- Ultrarunner: If 300 priests have historical ly abused 1000 kids in each of the 50 states as has occured in 75% of the dioceses in PA, then by extension, how many priests have abused kids in the US...
- acardnal: I think that Patrick Madrid teaches at Holy Apostles seminary, too.
- acardnal: I know of lay married men who are teaching in seminaries , for example, Dr. Brant Pitre, Scott Hahn, Ph.D., Ralph Martin, STD, et al. I would like to think that they bring their perso...
- Deacon Jay: Father Z, How about, in addition to lay men, using permanent deacons as “goo d Catholic husbands and fathers, to go into a seminary and give their testimonie s? Most of the men I...
- mitdub: PS. what might happen if every parish nominated a candidate each year for considerat ion of the seminaries ?
- mitdub: Father, I’ve been thinking along similar lines. We simply must figure out ways to get manly formation into the seminaries and reduce the effeminizi ng influences . I think, especia...
- Lurker 59: The media spin is indeed going around and around, but it is all in one direction, thus a giant buzzsaw. Not much can be done or accomplish ed if one rails against the spin. Rather, give...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Another sign at Mr. Beef.
- Kathleen10: Semper Gumby, haha!
- pbnelson: So now it’s priest-bas hing we have to endure. Watch the press spin this into a misguided attempt at gay-bashin g. Anyone who wants to rid the priesthood of homosexual s will be...
- Joy65: We’r e the easy target because we (The Catholic Church) is the big mean institutio n run by men who doesn̵ 7;t let the “poo r” liberals do whatever they want. We have...
- DeGaulle: The media obsession with abuse in the Catholic Church, while ignoring that which has been objectivel y documented as occurring in other denominati ons and religions, in education, in...
- AA Cunningham: Please provide the statistics which indicate that between 24k and 41k victims of sexual abuse have occurred in public schools by between 7200 and 12600 school employees in the US....
- Adaquano: Now all I can think is how to get a lunch that is good as that. And while I eat I can think about how come today̵ 7;s Catholic art is rarely as good as yesteryear .
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- An improvement to the “Ratio” governing formation of priests in seminaries
- Priest attacked: “This is for all the kids!”
- Collusion of the press against the Church
- Food for my cerebellum. Food for my reptilian brain stem. And my observation about coverage of The Present Crisis.
- ASK FATHER: How to support priests? Prepare for underground Church?
- Ex ore infantium perfecisti laudem! 3 year old “priest’s” theological observation and a Salve
- Letters of Bishops compared. Quite a contrast.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ACTION ITEM! Help the nuns complete their beautiful monastic church!
- URGENT: HIDEOUS about SYMBOL on pastel vestments for World Meeting of Families in Dublin @WMOF2018
- Letter of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese concerning the present crisis
- WDTPRS – 20th Ordinary Sunday: invisible love, pulsing with longing
- Terrific movement of prayer for priests: Seven Sisters Apostolate
- Archbp. Cordileone’s Letter to the people of @ArchdioceseSF Fr. Z kudos and a mini-rant.
- Wherein Fr. Z offers one of the hardest posts he has ever written – UPDATED WITH YOUR COMMENTS
- PROPOSAL to all the Bishops of these USA for your November 2018 Meeting
- Card. Burke interviewed by Raymond Arroyo. The Cardinal’s advice.
- Insightful observation about Pope Francis – UPDATES!
- ASK FATHER: Lethal force against homosexual aggression in seminary?
- Search within the text for the word “reparation”. Zero.
- ASK FATHER: Can I go to a wedding at an SSPX chapel?
- Yeahhh… this is exactly the right time to dress our clergy in pastels.
- The Rite of Degradation From The Order of Priesthood. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Fr Z calls for solidarity
- The PA Grand Jury Report
- AN OPEN APPEAL TO THE CARDINALS OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
- ASK FATHER: Your questions weigh heavily
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- ASK FATHER: “I now have doubt about sorting the doctrinal from the papal opinion.” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- ASK FATHER: Faithful, active women religious. Where to go?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: January 2018
Today is Candlemas Eve, and tomorrow is the Feast of the Purification. We call it Candlemas because, with the references to light in the liturgy, we bless candles.
Here are some poems for Candlemass
First and foremost, making a reference to the removal … Continue reading
Canonist Ed Peters has picked up on something Fr. Longenecker has done. I’ll add my voice.
From Peters’ excelleny canon law blog In The Light Of The Law.
About those Bloody 14 [allow me slightly to change the format, for effect]
Collins … Continue reading
People either like or hate my food posts. Hence, I enjoy posting them.
But first, as I watch what’s going on in the Church right now, two paintings at the MET jumped to my full attention.
First, my necessary entrance hotdog. The … Continue reading
From a reader…
It occurs to me that two of the three people on Apollo 11 were in the military at the time of their trip the moon. The command module pilot, Michael Collins, and the lunar module pilot, Buzz Aldrin, were both active … Continue reading
From a reader..
I have a particular devotion to the Priesthood and priests and would like to start visiting retired priests who are no longer able to live in residence in a rectory and have had to move on into the … Continue reading
Each year that St. Patrick’s Day falls on a Friday, in Lent, we witness the lunacy of dispensations so that people don’t have to do their regular Friday, lenten penance.
This year, the Feast of St. Valentine – transmogrified, commercialized and … Continue reading
From a reader…
I have a sterling silver ring from a private vow I made a number of years ago. My spiritual director who witnessed my vow blessed my ring using the Blessing for any object from the Roman Ritual. Over the years it … Continue reading
From a reader…
Is it OK for a diocesan priest to offer Mass in an SSPX chapel on a regular basis?
Let’s consider a couple points.
Can. 932 §1 states:
“The eucharistic celebration is to be carried out in a sacred place unless in a … Continue reading
I received an email about an interesting project.
On February 2, 2018, which is the day celebrating the double Feast of the Presentation of Jesus in the Temple and the Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary, there will occur throughout the … Continue reading
Not long ago, the Bishops of Kazakhstan issued a document, a Profession of the Immutable Truths about Sacramental Marriage. I wrote about it and provided an audio reading of it HERE.
At The Catholic Thing my friend Fr. Gerry Murray has written a … Continue reading
Today’s Collect prayer for the 4th Ordinary Sunday (it’s Septuagesima in the traditional calendar) was not in the post-Tridentine editions of the Missale Romanum but it does have its origin in the ancient Veronese Sacramentary.
Were you to hear this prayer … Continue reading
While in the new-fangled calendar Sunday is the 4th in Ordinary Time, and celebrated in green vestments,in the traditional Roman calendar this Sunday is called Septuagesima, Latin for the “Seventieth” day before Easter.
The Roman Station today is St. Lawrence outside … Continue reading
My friend Fr. Ray Blake, intrepid PP of Brighton, has a strong post upon which you might reflect.
Peronism and Corruption
I had a lesson in Peronism from an Argentinian waiter recently, in Argentina he was a PPE graduate.
Peronism, he said, was … Continue reading
I’m on my way to NYC, for errands, fun, meetings and to attend a debate.
Next leg… running a little behind, but I see that my bag is with me! These text notifications are helpful.
There is a new UBER Protocol in … Continue reading
A remarkable vocation story. Fr. James Mawdsley, FSSP.
For years I’ve written about how learning and celebrating the traditional form of Mass forms a priest. This priest touches on this transformative experience.
(He mentions that blogs played a role. I … Continue reading