Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- HvonBlumenthal: Veritas vincit It is very difficult to form a view on these issues in the abstract. May I suggest you find a TLM and go to it for a period of time, say three months, and you will...
- veritas vincit: For the life of me, when alternativ es for the TLM that are loyal to the magisteriu m of the Church, like the FSSP, are available, I don’ t understand why people adhere to the...
- TonyO: Fr. Jackson, the SSPX leaders (starting with Archbishop Lefevre, have repeatedly articulate d their disagreeme nt with the Vatican II document Dignitatis Humanae on religious liberty: they...
- MrsMacD: Dear Masked Chicken I in no way meant to imply that the Church did not have the power to stipulate anything, only that the Church, if you research carefully, does in fact agree that there...
- danielinnola: This is great news. Only good can come of this. I wish the same approach coul
- cantus: Didn’ ;t George Carlin have a skit about this?
- TonyO: 2) If I can go into a secular department store during the Christmas season and hear in their background music some secular pop musician singing a standard Christmas carol and getting the...
- The Masked Chicken: Dear MrsMacD, The Church has a right, under the keys, to add whatever stipulatio ns to a sacramenta l that it seems fit. The reason for the requiremen ts, I suspect, was for the...
- Uxixu: The biggest problem with the novus ordo is that blatant abuses such as clown Masses, etc don’ t happen often enough and the reality is quite banal and uninspirin g of either devot...
- Uxixu: FSSP priests are not forced to say the Novus Ordo. Most know very little about it, they’ ;re not taught it in the seminary and don’ t have the new books are not familiar with the...
- HvonBlumenthal: Don’t you find it odd that people are ultrascrup ulous about the canonical situation of SSPX but cheerfully go to Masses which are rife with liturgical abuses? And then it is...
- adriennep: Please explain PCED and when exactly they affirmed it’s okay to fulfill Sunday obligation . We have a problem in Archdioces e of Portland with SSPX continuing Masses every weekend in a...
- MrsMacD: Dear Tina in Ashburn Our Lady appeared to St. Simon Stock on July 16th 1251. She promised that all Carmelites clothed in the scapular would not suffer eternal fire. The Church approved a...
- Kate: I’ve been thinking on their status lately. I guess I still don’ t understand what is left to make them fully regularize d.
- e.e.: Father spoke about the miracle at Cana generally and Mary’ ;s words to the servant: “Do whatever he tells you.” ; He reminded us that there are only a few occasions in the...
- Clinton R.: I am very suspicious of the actions and motives of His Holiness. However, I do pray for him everyday. I pray that God may grant him graces to be a faithful and worthy successor to St....
- JesusFreak84: I’ve almost given up trying to figure out what Pope Francis is thinking at any given time. I’m also curious what’ ;ll happen to these gestures towards the SSPX once...
- Hidden One: Perhaps there will be an incrementa l extension involving the Anointing of the Sick, granting universal faculties for SSPX clergy to offer it, even outside the immediate danger of death...
- Gerard Plourde: The view in Philadelph ia was spectacula r (a rare thing in the urban environmen t of the Northeast Megalopoli s). What a wonderful way to experience another manifestat ion of the...
- Gregg the Obscure: Father seized on the detail of the source of the water. This was water intended to wash off all the bad things of the outside world so that the home could be a place filled with...
- kurtmasur: I knew I was done with attending a certain parish as soon as I heard the choir sing during the Alleluia the “All eluia̶ 1; song as featured in the movie Shrek. They had played...
- Grabski: @gabrielsy me. I was raised in the shadow of the PNCC Cathedral. Their relationsh ip is “limited intercommu nion” meaning that Rome recognizes the validity of their sacraments which says...
- adriennep: Dan Schutte was part of the “St. Louis Jesuits” who back in the 1970s were singlehand edly responsibl e for the corruption of our Church music with their contempora ry folksy tunes. It...
- fmsb78: I am a SSPX attendee and just wanted to point out that if this movement finally paves the way for the so called “reg ularizatio n”, do you realize that would happen under...
- robtbrown: It is of no value to speak of pride, arrogance, and humility in this matter. It is possible to be proud and arrogant and be correct. Likewise, it is also possible to be humble and be...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- What’s up with the SSPX?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Super-Wolf-Blood Moon!
- WDTPRS: 2nd Sunday after Epiphany – liturgical unicorn
- Francis suppressed the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei”. Fr. Z remarks.
- ASK FATHER: Do I have to sing at Mass?
- Scandalous parish in @ArchdioceseSPM – public celebration of homosexuality, IVR and surrogacy
- My View For Awhile: Westward
- ASK FATHER: Finding good sponsors for confirmation
- ASK FATHER: Where can I get good Brown Scapulars?
- ASK FATHER: Friday penance on flight across International Date Line
- Public penance and public reparation
- Card. Mahony to speak at the Three Days of Darkness
- UPDATE: “the finest rosaries I’ve ever seen” with a new site
- SOS! New Chant Collection: Prière pour temps de détresse … Prayer in time of distress, suffering, urgency… SOS Chant
- ASK FATHER: St. Gertrude’s Prayer and releasing 1000 souls from Purgatory
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- When tweets become problematic
- 4th Letter from Archbishop Viganò
- 14 January – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ASK FATHER: Standing on altar to change sanctuary lamp.
- ASK FATHER: Feasts of new saints in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Good points in Lawler’s recent book: The Smoke of Satan…
- Two cordial warnings to readers
- ASK FATHER: Excessive pious gestures during Mass
- WDTPRS – Holy Family (1962MR): Families not of blood
- ASK FATHER: Can we use the Breviarium Romanum published by the SSPX?
- FOLLOW UP on Gluten and Celiac post
- ZMIRAK: Hawaii Sen. @maziehirono Is Right. We Must Intern the Knights of Columbus in Camps
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: March 2018
Bumped up to the top for today… photos below A “Blue Moon” is a second full moon during a calendar month. They are infrequent. This year – 2018 – there are two occurrences. The first was on 31 January, and … Continue reading
Each day during Lent of 2018 and the Triduum I provided a 5 minute podcast to urge you on. Today, I provide a supplement to those LENTCAzTs. Because of the controversies roused up by alleged comments of the Holy Father … Continue reading
More on the Jesuit-engineered debacle at Holy Cross College. I posted about their prof who is trying to “queer” Jesus and about their cowardly, ankle-grabbing cringe to the world when they dropped their team’s name and mascot. HERE I direct … Continue reading
Today is Holy Saturday. The Roman Station is … ooops! Tricked you. There isn’t any until the Vigil, which traditionally ought to start at Midnight. GO TO CHURCH! Participate in the sacred rites. We are our rites. Let God give … Continue reading
Here also are my audio projects of the Way of the Cross. On 1st Fridays, do please pray the Act of Reparation. What we need right now is PRAYER, especially now. And remember to GO TO CONFESSION! For priests, especially, try The Way Of … Continue reading
A couple years ago what was clearly a severe abuse was given official recognition so that women’s feet could be washed during the entirely optional “Mandatum” in the Mass of the Lord’s Supper, Holy Thursday. NB: Before 2016, those who did … Continue reading
Were there any good points made during the sermon you heard if you attended the Holy Thursday Mass? Let us know. For my part, I spoke briefly, as I am under the weather, about the significance of the Lord going … Continue reading
Today is Good Friday. The Roman Station is Santa Croce. In gratitude especially to benefactors who help me and this blog, during Lent I’m once again offering 5 minute daily podcasts to encourage you in your own use of this holy … Continue reading
Today is Holy Thursday, which I had hoped might be a little quiet, giving me some time in silence. It was not to be. His Holiness Pope Francis inexplicably met once again with Eugenio Scalfari, the 90+ year old atheist … Continue reading
Friends, it’s Holy Thursday and I’ve come down with a nasty cold. Prayers, please. This isn’t good timing for problems with speaking, singing and … breathing.
Today Holy Thursday. The Triduum begins. The Roman Station is Saint John Lateran. In gratitude especially to benefactors who help me and this blog, during Lent I’m once again offering 5 minute daily podcasts to encourage you in your own use … Continue reading
UPDATE 29 March: A friend at Holy Cross wrote: Thanks for posting on the Holy Cross blasphemy. A clarification: Elinor Reilly, the courageous student who exposed Liew’s publications in a “Fenwick Review” article (the paper was founded by Fr. Paul … Continue reading
One of the figures who emerged from the shadows through the Lettergate scandal, is German liberal (wrong) theologian Peter Hünermann. Benedict XVI had a strong negative reaction to finding him among the writers of the series that was intended to bolster … Continue reading
Today is “Spy” Wednesday of Holy Week. The Roman Station is Santa Maria Maggiore. In gratitude especially to benefactors who help me and this blog, during Lent I’m once again offering 5 minute daily podcasts to encourage you in your own … Continue reading
First, I am looking for a priest who could – soon – take a Gregorian Mass set using exclusively the Usus Antiquior. Please drop me a line. This is concrete. Second, I wonder if there are any young musicians out there … Continue reading