HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Patrick71: I recommend a visit to the beautiful Cathedral of St. Joseph in downtown Wheeling.
- Fr_Andrew: Being the ossified manualist that I am, might I take one slight issue with what you’ ve said (while not disagreein g with your conclusion ). I would object to taking of stipe...
- excalibur: Am I wrong to have a slight desire that a meteor hit that place in Baltimore when all the USCCB was assembled? Well, yes because some innocent people would have been hit as well. The...
- Uxixu: “Ele cted officials will be answerable to God for their acts and omissions. As will bishops. And cardinals. ” Bingo! Perfectly stated summary and conclusion .
- Uxixu: I like the idea of concelebra tion with the bishop. I detest it in the parish environmen t where all the concelebra nts sit like at my diocesan parish where they have 4 priests and 3 deacons...
- Uxixu: That’ ;s a humble priest. If only he would say it publicly to his parish.
- Discerning Altar Boy: Listening to Dr. Hahn lecture on any topic is no-doubt worth the price of admission alone.
- Semper Gumby: Freedom must constantly be won over for the cause of good. – Benedict XVI Freedom that lacks moral truth becomes its own worst enemy. – George Weigel Why has evil been...
- carndt: Almost done reading,”T he Shadow of His Wings” the true story of Fr. Gereon Goldman, OFM. The miracles of the Triune God is all through this book. A must read. The Church can over come evil...
- Chris Garton-Zavesky: I’m trying to wrap my mind about this: he DEFENDED Pope Francis, and SUPPORTED His Holiness 8217; way of governing by quoting (accidenta lly?) a laicized priest who...
- carndt: Offered to pay for my local pastor to attend. Said he couldn’t attend right now. Some TLM would do him good.
- Geoffrey: “The exchange between Traditiona lism and the Catholic Charismati c Renewal”. Very interestin g.
- arga: Aside from the pope himself and his declaratio ns, nothing has revealed more about the character of this papacy than the sorts of people he has appointed and closely associated himself with.
- Bryan D. Boyle: Wow. To borrow a phrase from our esteemed blog leader “Jus t too Cool” ;.
- KateD: Plagerized or not, the sentiment is just as terrifying !
- Kerry: Oorah!
- veritas vincit: ‘ 221;Maybe it’s because I have never seen a concelebra ted Mass get out of hand, but the image of several priests “doing their own thing” like that just seems off-puttin g...
- Robert_Caritas: “The exchange between Traditiona lism and the Catholic Charismati c Renewal 221; is most definitely where the future is. I have seen this happen in my own life. Both kinds...
- Semper Gumby: [Mary] became, in a literal sense, the unique custodian of divine truth: She carried the Logos in her womb. In her vocation as Mother of God, Mary opens herself to truth’s fruit...
- HvonBlumenthal: Fr, I was reading the latest life of Bugnini and was struck by what a big deal the introducti on of concelebra tion was for all those reformists . Why was it so important to them?...
- ProfKwasniewski: A few articles on this topic that readers might find helpful: http://www .newliturg icalmoveme nt.org/201 4/09/celeb ration-vs- concelebra tion.html# .XQkWK9I2q Uk http://...
- Simon_GNR: Thankfully , concelebra ted Masses are rare in our parish. I don’ t like concelebra tion at all, with several priests cluttering up the space around the altar. I wonder what...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Kevin: Thanks for asking, though this is not really the topic at hand. Remember, we don’ t want to do what was done before simply because that’ ;s how it was done...
- Geoffrey: Maybe it’s because I have never seen a concelebra ted Mass get out of hand, but the image of several priests “doi ng their own thing̶ 1; like that just seems off-puttin g...
- Chuck4247: Thank you @acardnal
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- 15-18 July 2019: East Coast Priest Conference in Wheeling, WV – looks good!
- Fr Rosica, amazing papal claims, and resignations
- Priest apologizes to traditional Catholics: “The future of the Church is in her past.”
- ASK FATHER: Is a concelebrated Mass just one Mass or several Masses?
- NOVENA FOR SEMINARIANS – from Corpus Christi to Sacred Heart, with a Marian Consecration
- A Solemn Mass in Albany in the presence of the bishop. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Thoughts about the change to CCC 2267 on the death penalty
- Chilean priest’s episcopal consecration axed because of some comments
- Canonist Ed Peters eviscerates bishops – one in particular – who won’t apply law
- USCCB meets. They talk about the “nones”. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- New “Chernobyl” TV show and the End Times
- A “Catholic Signal Corps” – Thinking about a Catholic digital future and this blog
- ASK FATHER: Traditional aspergillum or “whisk”?
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Antonio Socci on why Benedict is still Pope and Sam Gregg on the Struggle for Western Civilization
- ASK FATHER: Pipe organs, being expensive, how about manually pumped reed organs?
- ASK FATHER: Alb for a boy’s pretend “Mass” set?
- ASK FATHER: Marital relations after a tubal ligation 22 years ago out of fear of pregnancy
- On a painfully hopeful day, consolation arrives – new icon of Our Lady, Queen of the Clergy
- Wherein Fr. Z reads, rants and prays
- Chief of the Vichy Knights of Malta forbids the Extraordinary Form
- Your Good News
- Cardinals and Bishops issue a “Declaration of Truths” intended to “aid” the Supreme Pontiff
- Octave of Pentecost PODCAzTs
- Great concelebration photos during Chartres Pentecost Pilgrimage
- Your Pentecost Sunday Sermon Notes
- CQ CQ CQ Ham Radio Saturday: DXing and Vatican call sighting, and Vatican Radio LATIN news program
- WDTPRS – Vigil of Pentecost (1962MR): from gerbils to lions
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Sunday: Holy Church’s warp and weft hold true
- “Why should I send somebody in my place to be killed?”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Monthly Archives: July 2018
Now that I look at that post title, I can see why you might think that I am channeling the Id of Trad-dom. In fact, today I had an informal lunch with some young priests: guys drop in between 12-2 … Continue reading
The inimitable Fr. H today has a spiffing piece at his blog Mutual Enrichment. Let’s have a look. Taking a breath We are told that a certain sort of Novus Ordo cleric complains that the current 2010 English translation of the Roman … Continue reading
May I say from the onset that I have some spiffy Pope Clement XIV gear? HERE Here is the Martyrologium Romanum entry for great saint, the founder of the Society of Jesus. (To the right is my first class relic … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I am a laywoman recently hired by my archdiocese as a sacristan. In this role I am frequently pressed into service as an extraordinary minister. Last Sunday, as I distributed Communion, a young woman approached with … Continue reading
I have received new books. Recent arrivals include First, from the pen of Fr. Cliff Ermatinger comes If You Knew the Gift of God: Grace: What it is, what it does, and how to cooperate with it according to Church … Continue reading
This is terrific. Here is old video of some bishops at the Second Vatican Council saying their private Masses! The best form of concelebration! Council Fathers offering their Private Masses after the Second Vatican Council was solemnly opened by Pope … Continue reading
Was there a good point made in the sermon you heard at the Mass you frequented in fulfillment of your Sunday obligation? Let us know what it was! NB: Share a GOOD point. This isn’t a gripe post. For my … Continue reading
Enough of this! It’s time for Pope Francis to appoint an “Indagator Particularis… Special Prosecutor”. He will have to be a “Burke’s Law” kind of guy, who will find out who knew what and when. A “Burke’s Law” kind of … Continue reading
Something has been nagging me from the back of my mind today. I finally, late in the evening just as I was about to turn in, dredged it up. One of my favorite Popes, Papa Lambertini, Pope Benedict XIV, was … Continue reading
Shall we look at the Collect for this Sunday’s Holy Mass in the Ordinary Form? COLLECT (2002MR): Protector in te sperantium, Deus, sine quo nihil est validum, nihil sanctum, multiplica super nos misericordiam tuam, ut, te rectore, te duce, sic bonis transeuntibus nunc utamur, ut … Continue reading
From a reader… Following the resignation of Cardinal McCarrick from the College of Cardinals, I have noted various articles that refer to him now as Mr McCarrick. It occurs to me to wonder what the correct style would be in … Continue reading
Australia passes a law to require priests to violate the Seal of Confession. HERE Then L’Affaire McCarrick flares. Today I read that in India, a government agency, the National Commission for Women, wants the Catholic Church to abolish the Sacrament … Continue reading
From the National Review Online: Despite Misunderstanding, the Latin Mass Endures By LIAM WARNER The same riches that profited Saint Teresa of Ávila and Saint Francis de Sales are available to Catholics today. Not a small group of people will … Continue reading
Before anything else… Lots of people are really angry, indeed enraged. Horrid situations such as those caused by men like McCarrick are painful. We can make choices about how to view them. Anger is appropriate, but not to the point … Continue reading
On a far happier note, from SpaceWeather and from APOD come astronomical notes of interest. First, APOD says that Mars is in opposition. This mean that the entire planet is lined up against liberals, in a kind of solar systemic … Continue reading