Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Imrahil: 1. Interestin g observatio n, dear JohnPatric k. I can sing the Salve Regina in the ferial tone. I also can recite it in Latin, but with more effort. I have trouble reciting it in German....
- Tina in Ashburn: This is all about the Sin of Onan. Splitting hairs is silly when the crimes are this monstrous. This Sin of Onan consists of perverting the pleasure of the sex act into only...
- hwriggles4: Fr Z, I have heard from various sources that due to the storms, more than one airline is waiving change fees, so if you get diverted, its not a huge inconvenie nce. In the meantime, I...
- JonPatrick: When I was in high school we had to memorize chunks of Shakespear e. I still remember Macbeth 217;s “Tom orrow and tomorrow 8221; soliloquy. PortiaR 17;s “Qua lity...
- Grant M: Many years ago, I was reading a novel by Michener, in which a college student is required to memorize a long poem, and chooses to recite from memory Gray’ ;s Elegy in a Country...
- Gab: Mariana2, you could try opening the link up in Internet Explorer. Or if you have an adblock plug in, then disable it when on Fr Finnegan 8217;s site.
- Mariana2: I thought Fr. Finigan had taken down his blog as all I’ve got for quite some time is the view of Rome. I’m practicall y computer illiterate (everythin g is set up by my...
- The Masked Chicken: Dear Jerome Charles, You wrote: “Mrs Anchor, Your analogies suggest, then, that there should be no male teachers, administra tors, or coaches in a female Catholic high...
- Semper Gumby: bigtex: The wording of your comment is unclear. However, La Civilta Cattolica is a problem now- see several posts here from July 2017- and given your link to that article it was a...
- LeeGilbert: Father, you write: “But first, there must be a great stopping, a turning, and a returning. ” This suggests that far from a thing to be despised, servile fear is itself a...
- Suburbanbanshee: Different sins are “pop ular” ; in different times and places, because different eras have different strengths and weaknesses . And if you think the Church of England...
- adriennep: Amen to memorizati on. And it is much easier when you write it all down on paper with a pen. That really imprints the brain fast. Consider the one-room schoolhous e students with only a...
- Charles E Flynn: If you have Internet access, you can watch these five videos on YouTube. The scene is somewhat fictionali zed, but dramatical ly successful : Part 1 https://ww w.youtube. com/wat...
- RKR: My elementary school years were spent at a Lutheran day school where memorizati on was a separate grade on your report card (one Bible verse a week or something) . So I guess I developed the...
- bibi1003: I always thought that the homosexual ity/pedoph ilia/peder asty problem in the priesthood was a 20th/21st century problem. I’ve been so ignorant. It’s hard to learn that it...
- MrsAnchor: @ hahaha that gave me a good chuckle. In a perfect world more or less? Yes. Oh, you forgot Woman in the Military, Law Enforcemen t etc.. We once had BOUNDERIES for a reason …...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: I was surprised in reading that book that there were enough clerics laying with animals for it to need to be addressed specifical ly in one of the chapters 8230;th...
- Jerome Charles: MrsAnchor, Your analogies suggest, then, that there should be no male teachers, administra tors, or coaches in a female Catholic high school, including priests? If they are hetero...
- acardnal: Chrome browser worked just fine on my tablet but NOT on my laptop with the Fr. Finigan link. Go figure.
- bobbortolin: Maximilian 75: You can fix the problem too by turning off your ad blocker.
- Gab: Maximilian 75, no you’re not alone. I overcame the same issue by copying and pasting The site address into Explorer. Chrome doesn’t open up Fr Finigan’s site for some reason.
- Kathleen10: Fr. Finigan, feel better soon! Prayers going up. God bless.
- Maximilian75: Am I alone in that the website is only showing a picture of St. Peter̵ 7;s and nothing else?
- Hugh: Sorry, “Jou rney of the Magi” ; is Eliot, of course. Imagine Donne writing in that style! Crucifixio n!
- Hugh: I’ve memorized a few poems in my life. All have been rewarding. I’ve merely dipped my toe. “The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock 8221; by T.S. Eliot was one. I had to study...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- New book from Card. Sarah
- Open Letter From Cardinals Burke and Brandmüller to Conferences of Bishops: “The plague of the homosexual agenda has been spread within the Church”
- My View For Awhile: Rapid Western Strike
- Fr. Finigan @FatherTF and the importance of memorization
- During the Rome “summit” we celebrate the Feast of St Peter Damian, Doctor of the Church
- Rome abuse “summit”, an SSPX video, and an @fatherz Jeremiad
- The Rome “summit”, “gay” priests, and #sodoclericalism – Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Fr. Rutler’s Weekly Column
- BOOK RECEIVED: 1962 Parish Ritual – HUZZAH!
- Archbp. Viganò offers thoughts on The Present Crisis before the Rome “Summit”
- Suffering and attacks on the Church’s “Eldest Daughter”
- Mister McCarrick
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Shiny little fish!
- Interesting observation by @CCPecknold about laicization of McCarrick
- WDTPRS – Septuagesima Sunday: PRE-LENT BEGINS!
- Of Flaring Suns and Starry Nights
- A quick book plug: A Catholic Introduction to the Bible: The Old Testament
- Opportunity: R.I.P.
- POLL: Prayers after Mass
- “Know also this, that, in the last days, shall come dangerous times.”
- Do you know priests who are struggling, under attack? Terrific movement: Seven Sisters Apostolate
- Movement in the causes of Bl. John Henry Newman and Card. József Mindszenty
- ASK FATHER: During sick call, tea and biscuits before administering Communion
- Another look at Catholic/Islamic statement: “diversity of religions … are willed by God in His wisdom”
- Your Good News
- “Rumors that a certain prelate threatens his orthodox priests with institutionalization or laicization are not rumors… they are truth”
- BREAKING: Rubrics and color-blindness
- Card. Kasper attacks Card. Müller who publicly proclaimed Catholic doctrine
- Thoughts about ‘ad orientem’ worship and priests being bullied
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: September 2018
In my surfing about this morning, I found a stupendous recording of the Gregorian chant version of the Litany of Loreto sung by all women. The chant is easy. This could be done in parishes. First, I think that Gregorian … Continue reading
Tomorrow, 1 October, begins a month which traditionally calls for daily recitation of the Most Holy Rosary. Dear readers… please consider, if you don’t already, daily recitation of the Rosary during October. How wonderful it would be if you took … Continue reading
Was there a good point made in the sermon you heard during your Mass to fulfill your Sunday Obligation? Let us know.
Our Collect for the 26th Ordinary Sunday, slightly different from its ancestor in the ancient Gelasian Sacramentary, is also in the 1962 Missale Romanum for the 10th Sunday after Pentecost. Deus, qui omnipotentiam tuam parcendo maxime et miserando manifestas, gratiam … Continue reading
UPDATE 29 Sept: I billed this as the humidity edition and I wasn’t kidding. It has been hot and humid summer in Mad City, but “humid” is equivocal. The sojourn in Florida was good, insofar as I had the chance … Continue reading
In these days of The Present Crisis a few bishops took a step towards sanity and asked their people once again to pray the St. Michael Prayer after Mass. I think we should bring the Leonine Prayers back… all of … Continue reading
Here is a super cool story from JSTOR (which I’m sure you all follow): Why Europe’s Oldest Intact Book Was Found in a Saint’s Coffin The St. Cuthbert Gospel is the earliest surviving intact European book. Some time around 698, … Continue reading
From Lexology: A note about the Seal of Confession and requiring priests to break the Seal: State Could Not Require Priest to Breach Confessional Without Satisfying RFRA In Ronchi v. State, No. 5D18-194, 2018 WL 2988975 (Fla. 5th DCA June … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I remember your posts about Space travel and Catholicism, but I’ve been wondering: what about time travel and our obligations? Specifically, what if someone were to be transported to a time before Christ and outside of Judaic influence? If … Continue reading
Yesterday I watched the Kavanaugh Senate hearing. There were some important moments, including the fact that Kavanaugh arrived wearing his game face and Sen. Graham gave the Dems a piece of his mind. Turning points, both. Amusing moments: Sen. … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I have something in mind that has been troubling me. In my past, there has been an incidence where I dropped a host while receiving communion (I used to receive by hand, I no longer do), … Continue reading
At LifeSite we see that Archbp. Viganò has released another statement. ROME, September 27, 2018 (LifeSiteNews) — Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò has today issued a new extraordinary testimony, responding to Pope Francis’ refusal to answer the charge that he knew of … Continue reading
A story about St. Luke’s: “I have seen wonderful moments of grace there; priests and Religious who limped in, who left healed.”
The other day I posted about how bishops have used “psychological evaluation” as a weapon against conservative and traditional priests. At the time I acknowledged that some priests really do need help. Along with the horror stories I have received … Continue reading
St. Joseph’s Apprentice has made beautiful, practical portable altars for me and for many priests. I have called his portable altars “the ultimate gift for a priest”. I have one that I can travel with, using a Pelican case, that … Continue reading
The horror stories are pouring in from priests who have been through The Psych Strike Gambit by their bishops or superiors. Here is one, with some detail, which I have permission to post and which I have anonymized. His … Continue reading