UPDATE 13 Sept:

The stars indicate the places where processions are known to have taken place in the Diocese of Raleigh. The place where Fr. Johnson is, is the middle star.

UPDATE 13 Sept:

From a reader…

Apropos of the impending hurricane, I read on your blog that a priest in the Diocese of Raleigh had broken out the old Rituale Romanum and started saying the prayers to drive back a storm.

I don’t want to be guilty of the ‘post hoc, ergo proper hoc’ fallacy. But still: here is a recent screen grab showing the path of the storm, which keeps altering slightly, but is increasingly moving away from the RDU area—and uniquely that area.

UPDATE 13 Sept:

My friend, Fr. Philip Johnson, whom I mentioned below, sent a photo of what he did at his parish. He wrote: “Alas, my Violet was already packed up for the coming storm, but we had a good turnout! ”

Originally Published on: Sep 12, 2018 @ 12:42

For the love of all that’s holy, let the bishops of the Dioceses of Raleigh, Charlotte, Charleston, Savanagh, and Atlanta get out their copies of the older, traditional Rituale Romanum and, with some of their priests, and conduct a procession with the litany and prayers for driving off storms.

Title IX, Chapter 8:

De processione ad repellendam tempestatem.

There’s still time to do this.

Tell your priests in parishes and wherever there are blessed bells such as convents and monasteries, etc., to ring the church bells at a fixed time (this is one of the reasons why we have bells and why we ring them – to drive off storms!).  Ring them when you will have the procession.

Get out there and do it!

Fathers!   Use all your tools which God has given you through ordination.

UPDATE

Fr. Philip Johnson of Raleigh sent…

He’s got the right idea!

Some sharing options...

This entry was posted in ACTION ITEM! and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to UPDATES! URGENT TO BISHOPS OF @RaleighDiocese @diosav @DioceseChas @archatl @CatholicNewsCLT

1. Malta says:

I lived in South Carolina, worked in North Carolina; spent time at JSOC in Fort Bragg; learned to surf in Wilmington, NC. I spent time with my family in Congoree National Park, which was devastated by hurricane Hugo: https://www.thestate.com/latest-news/article14348819.html. It’s pretty far inland; indeed, Father, many prayers are needed out there. As far inland as Rock Hill, SC, trees were taken down by Hugo. I’m sure Fort Bragg is already evacuated. If Florence ramps-up to a Cat. 5 it is going to cause great devastation and possibly loss of life.

2. chantgirl says:

Fr. Z, I have heard that holy water is intended more for blessing people and objects, but that blessed salt is more for blessing places. If that is true, would it be appropriate for people to sprinkle blessed salt around the perimeter of their house, or for a pastor to sprinkle it around the perimeter of his church grounds?

3. ArthurH says:

I accidentally posted this first in the article about confession– sorry. Here it is again :(

A beautiful and meaningful suggestion and….I can hear too many voices deridingly saying, “Pffft–how old school, such primitivism.

Years ago, during my long years outside the Church, I lived for a time (~a year all told) in the New Age community Findhorn, sorta the birthplace of it all, and I had the following experience that comes to mind here.

To set the stage: Findhorn, as you know, was(is) heavily into the New Age of communing with Nature, plants and animals, and sorta having nature “tamed” to the human will/spirit for the good of all involved. One day, while some of us were working in their kitchen, it was pointed out that a rat had been seen in the area. When it was suggested that the old Findhorn way of “reasoning” with the rat should be followed to ask him to leave, the suggestion was met with general superior-like laughter, despite that being the logic on which the place was founded. They mockingly did so anyway.

Why do I feel that in today’s Church, the old days of saints’ repelling invaders or floods by holding a cross of using holy water is seen as naught but old wives tales about famous people. It is not.

Will they take your suggestion? I profoundly hope so, but I aint holding my breath.

4. NBW says:

Yes! Bishops please pray!!!!
    Prayers for all those in the hurricane’s path. Did a rosary and fasted for those in the hurricane’s path. I hope the hurricane gets downgraded down to a small storm.

5. Sandy says:

Is this our dear Father Philip Johnson for whom we prayed quite a while ago? If so, I have often wondered how he is doing! I used to follow his blog before he was ordained. Blessings to him and all of you priests, Father Z!

I am praying for Virginia Beach (and all the area) where my late mother lived and all our old friends who are still there.

6. John says:

I live in @RaleighDiocese in Greenville. Prayers please

7. SKAY says:

We used to live in Raleigh. Praying for all and that the storm will will be downgraded.
    We live in Louisiana so you know we understand.

8. james huffaker says:

THY will be done unto me and mine, according to Thy word. The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the Name of the Lord. Prayers for the Clerics as well as the people involved, ongoing.

Oh my Jesus, I offer this for the Love of Thee, for the conversion of sinners and in reparation of sins committed against the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Amen.

9. Orlando says:

Great idea Father! I’ll be going to Friday Latin Mass , assuming we still have it and will mention this to our pastor. Pray for Charlotte and all the Carolina’s that this monster changes course and moves out to sea.

10. Susanna says:

Earlier I sent the link for this article to a holy priest i know who is in Charlotte, NC. Father just responded that he and his people (whoever was there i assume) prayed the suggested prayers. May God be praised!

Thank you Fr. Z for this post!

11. WmHesch says:

The votive Collect “Ad Repellendas Tempestates” seems appropriate for both the temporal and spiritual present storms:

“We beseech Thee, O Lord, that all wickedness being driven away from Thy house, the fury of the raging tempest may pass away. Through our Lord…”

12. Pingback: THVRSDAY MORNING EDITION – Big Pulpit

13. Fr. Kelly says:

With this morning’s news on Florence, perhaps The prayers of Fr
    Johnson and others are being answered?

14. Great idea Father.
    Also doesn’t the old blessing of wax candles give a specific power against storms?

When I was young, my mother had me wave a brown scapular over an outside fire that was getting out of control and was spreading into the pasture – the flames died down. I’ll never forget that.

Also a former parishioner in our Ukrainian parish told me about how she walked through her house with some burning blessed Easter palms [or maybe it was pussy willows that the Easterners sometime use], allowing their smoke to permeate every room. This was during a terrifying storm. She said her children made fun of her. The next morning their house was untouched in the neighborhood of storm-trashed houses.

Certainly the power of priests and bishops would give more oomph to our pleas to heaven.

15. james huffaker says:

The Rosary, the Brown Scapular of Mt. Carmel, fasting, penance and retribution, Heavens Weapons. Blessed be His Holy Name. Prayers ongoing.
    Regards, Jim JMJ

16. james huffaker says:

Sorry reparations

17. RichR says:

That updated map with stars, juxtaposed with Fr.’s photo of his Rituale and procession made me think, “A bold, public entrusting of confidence in Christ has elicited a bold response from Christ so that unbelievers may be moved to a saving faith in that same Christ.”

So glad you’ve posted this, Fr. Z.