ADVENTCAzT 2018 05: The priest, John the Baptist, points toward Jesus

Once again this year I offer short daily podcasts to help you prepare for the upcoming feast as well as for your own, personal, meeting with the Lord.

Here is ADVENTCAzT 05, for Thursday of the 1st Week of Advent.

These 5 minute offerings are a token of gratitude for my benefactors who donate and send items from my wishlist.  Thank you!

Today we hear about the unity of Old Testament and New Testament priesthood in the person of John, who points to Christ Jesus.  Our commentator is Benedict XVI

Have some Mystic Monk Coffee and have a listen!

Today I use a cut from the Easter CD of the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles.  They have a haunting, touching hymn about Mary, Queen of Priests.  It almost always tightens my throat a little.  Today especially so, in the wake of the burial of Bp. Morlino who did so much for priests.  US HERE – UK HERE

Chime in if you listened.

PS: These podcasts should also be available through my iTunes feed, though maybe not immediately. Let me know how you are listening.  Through the plug in on this post? Through iTunes? Downloading?

Some sharing options...

This entry was posted in ADVENTCAzT, ADVENTCAzT, PODCAzT, Priests and Priesthood and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to ADVENTCAzT 2018 05: The priest, John the Baptist, points toward Jesus

1. Gab says:

Father, I so look forward to your ADVENTCAzTs. I learn something each day. Thank you for producing them.

2. Mariana2 says:

Thanks, Father!

3. youngcatholicgirl says:

Beautiful, Father, thank you! Priests and praying for them are a special love of mine (I love that hymn by the Benedictines!); does anyone know where I could find a transcript of the prayer Fr. Z read on here?

4. rhhenry says:

Dear youngcatholicgirl,

I found the following text at http://sspx.org/en/prayer-crusade-priests, and it is likely to be found elsewhere on the web:

O Jesus, Eternal High Priest, Good Shepherd, Font of life, Who by a special favor of Thy most tender Heart hast given to us our Priests, in order to accomplish in us those holy ideals with which Thy grace inspires our hearts, let Thy mercy, we beseech Thee, come to the aid of our Priests. Grant them, O Jesus, lively faith in their works, unshakable hope in their trials and fervent charity in their intentions. May Thy word, radiant with eternal wisdom, become through continual meditation the never failing nourishment of their interior life; may the examples of Thy life and Passion be renewed in their conduct and sufferings, for our instruction and as a light and consolation in our sorrows. Grant, O Lord, that our priests, free from all earthly attachments and solicitous for Thy glory alone, may persevere to their last breath in the fulfillment of duty and in purity of conscience. And when in death they deliver into Thy hands a task well done, may they have in Thee, Lord Jesus, their Master on earth, the eternal reward of the crown of justice in the glory of the saints. Amen.
    + Imprimatur: Francis Cardinal Spellman, Archbishop of New York, 1951

5. youngcatholicgirl says:

rhhenry,
    Thank you so much!

6. Semper Gumby says:

Thank you for these Adventcazts Fr. Z.

Fr. Slattery wrote an insightful book about priests, “Heroism and Genius.”

7. THREEHEARTS says:

Was not John the. son of Zachary, a member of the house of Aaron and therefore a Jewish Priest. Zachary did not at first recognize Jesus, but his wife Jesus’ aunt Elizabeth did? I would not be at all surprised if many priests today were suddenly struck dumb until they too came to their senses and apologize for their present behavior, a lack of respect for thseEucharistic Jesus. Thank God it was not a case of like father like son. To the Jewish Sanhedrin and Pharisees John’s washing with water in the Jordan would have had a very special significance under the Law that is.

Think, proof read, BEFORE posting! For special characters use UNICODE.