Once again this year I offer short daily podcasts to help you prepare for the upcoming feast as well as for your own, personal, meeting with the Lord.

Here is ADVENTCAzT 10, for Tuesday of the 2nd Week of Advent

These 5 minute offerings are a token of gratitude for my benefactors who donate and send items from my wishlist.  Thank you!

Have some Mystic Monk Coffee and have a listen!

Today we have a taste of Peter Kwasniewski’s Noble Beauty, Transcendent Holiness: Why the Modern Age Needs the Mass of Ages

US HERE – UK HERE

Chime in if you listened.

PS: These podcasts should also be available through my iTunes feed, though maybe not immediately. Let me know how you are listening.  Through the plug in on this post? Through iTunes? Downloading?

Some sharing options...

This entry was posted in ADVENTCAzT, ADVENTCAzT, Liturgy Science Theatre 3000, PODCAzT and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to ADVENTCAzT 2018 10: If a liturgy looks silly, you can close your eyes. But if it sounds silly…

1. misternaser says:

Thank you for this ADVENTCAzT. My own thoughts and feelings about the OF Mass, which I’ve developed from semi-regular EF Mass over the past year, mirror Kwasniewski’s observations you quote. You’ve convinced me that I really must read his book sooner rather than later.

2. JonPatrick says:

Thank you Father Z.

3. Mariana2 says:

Thanks, Father!

4. doublenan says:

Many thanks for all your podcasts, Father, especially this one. God bless you!

5. cwillia1 says:

I never watch the consecration. Stuck in a novus ordo desert, my eyelids substitute for the iconostas that is missing in my life.

6. Bellarmino Vianney says:

“…but if it sounds silly…”

Bring earmuffs. 3M makes a great earmuff that can drown out many sounds.

[Perhaps you posted that as an amusing comment? That’s not something to do in church.]

7. Justalurkingfool says:

Since my hearing loss, which seems irreversible, all music sounds awful and dissonant to me, so I have to offer it up for God’s intentions.

8. byzantinesteve says:

I was once at a mass where several liturgical dancers came out for the psalm response. I realized this before they started and asked my wife to tell me when it was over. I leaned over in the pew and just looked down the entire time. Unfortunately, I couldn’t leave the mass (which I’d have done in any other circumstance) because my in-laws were renewing their marriage vows.

9. grumpyoldCatholic says:

That was beautiful.. I am sending it to all my Novus Ordo

10. Ultrarunner says:

The solution for both problems is a good narthex. The best ones have thick glass walls and doors and don’t have speakers. The noise up front is a mere muffle in a good narthex, plus you’re physically as far away from any silliness that is taking place as you can get while fulfilling your Sunday obligation.

11. youngcatholicgirl says:

Thank you, Father!

12. Grant M says:

OF priests should… they should…

Quite agree, quite agree, but alas, until they do, we’ll have to be tortured on the Sundays we cannot get to the TLM. Well we must thank Annibale for giving us all the opportunity to do penance, either by attending our local tango masses, or by making the long trek to the nearest TLM.

These articles on how silly the NO can be always remind me of the Monty Python Colonel: “Quite agree, quite agree, silly, silly, silly.” Unfortunately, unlike the Colonel, I cannot bring proceedings to a halt by personal fiat.

It’s rude to wear earmuffs in church, but if you are my age, people will understand if you wear discreet foam earplugs to reduce over-amplified speech and music to a more soothing level. Everyone knows that if it’s too loud, you’re too old, and respects the right of an aging Boomer to make himself comfortable.

I proved to myself using the Sorites paradox that I could be any distance from the altar and still consider myself as attending Mass, but no, I have yet to put my discovery into practice.

13. Ellen says:

I have been to a few (thankfully only a few) Masses where the muzak was so bad and the service was so free form that I had to discreetly cover my ears.

14. TonyO says:

Dear Father GottaDoTheLatestThing: Do you realize that when you introduce these novelties, you induce 1/2 of the congregation to tune you out as a failed entertainer (if you weren’t a failure, you would be out on some stage raking in the big bucks); another 1/4 spend the time totting up your errors, flaws, mistakes, heresies, disobediences to the rubrics, and composing mental letters to the bishop (hypothetical ones, because they know the bishop probably doesn’t care) explaining how BAD these mistakes are and how detrimental to the Faith; and another 1/8 spend the time in pain and suffering, viscerally sick or with migraines because your irreverence and banality are like a knife to their souls, and they (at least try to) offer up the suffering as reparation for the irrreverence and indignities you inflict upon Jesus. Perhaps as much as 1/8 of the congregation likes it – but hardly a one of them likes it because it deepens their interior life toward union with God, for most of them it is the passing pleasure of a superficial feeling that has no deeper meaning than a pleasant movie tune.

15. Glennonite says:

Yes; every word, exactly. Thank you.