Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Gab: acardanl because in Luke Ch 24, ”  And they drew nigh to the town, whither they were going: and he made as though he would go farther.  But they constraine d him; saying: Stay...
- Jerome Charles: Most men– homo or hetero, have a proclivity to sex. That’ ;s why celibacy is so difficult& #8211;and is a charism. Most men don’ t have the charism, and it cannot...
- Fr. Kelly: Imrahil The Three Brothers are of course, Future, Past and Present, the Rulers of Time.
- Felipe: “A decisive act now is urgent and necessary. ” Yes. Very true. I hope our Bishops are encouraged by these words and have a clear discussion that results with actions. I pray that our Holy...
- Charivari Rob: Father, if you had to share with somebody 8217;s canine swiffer, “fur baby” ; or Louis Vitton peacock – you have my sympathy. If their human was of the “...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Since we are talking about St. Therese, I want to tell my biggest St. Therese story thus far. I prayed to her to obtain for me a very huge favor at a time in my life when I...
- JesusFreak84: I don’ t know what the good Cardinals expect, (probably not much,) but like Viganó, I suspect the greater concern was about dischargin g their conscience s before God. Cardin...
- TonyO: In short, unless and until the priests of the Church take up once again the powerful arguments Our Lord and his evangelist s of old used and address them to those who already profess thems...
- Charles E Flynn: Benjamin Hubert and Airbus elevate the short haul flight experience with smart seating https://ww w.wallpape r.com/life style/laye r-benjamin -hubert-ai rbus-move- project
- TonyO: Yayyy to memorizati on. Can I register a complaint? Booo to making irrelevant and useless changes to the Novus Ordo lectionary – with respect to language that had been a constant for...
- Gab: Oops wrong response to acardnal. Sorry.
- Gab: Acardnal because she had the virtue of humility.
- Benedict Joseph: Bobbird. Saint Therese wrote the play very much with permission . These events in Carmel were known as “pio us recreation s.” It was staged for the feast day of her...
- JesusFreak84: If someone re-wrote the Baltimore Catechism in rhyme, I could probably memorize it quickly enough, but these days I’m lucky if I can remember what I ate for lunch, and I̵...
- acardnal: Gab: why?
- Gab: St Therese, as with all the saints before her, would have suffered the humiliatio n gladly for His sake.
- Gab: The title of the book, from the Gospel of St Luke, is very, very apt.
- youngcatholicgirl: I’m with Fr. Finigan in that last paragraph, of how much fun memorizing is. I’ve memorized hoards of things in my life (it was part of school from kindergart en to...
- OrdinaryCatholic: ” You can’t worry about public perception anymore. ” You are absolutely right. Besides, as a Catholic, we should be used to being publicly shunned, humiliated , mocked...
- Fr Martin Fox: A lot of people can identify with how dear Therese reacted in the first place, and must have felt in the wake of the humiliatio n. St. Therese was nothing but kind and warm in...
- Fr. Charles A. F.: rtjl: You are quite right; and actually, according to many contempora ry reports of the incident, even the atheists Taxil thought he would be ingratiati ng himself with found the...
- Man-o-words: Shame on these two for destroying the unity of the church! I mean, according to their peers, it is far better that we all go into perdition together than to call out the evil among us!...
- Spinmamma: May God keep Cardinals Burke and Brandmülle r, and all of His faithful and courageous clergy All of the clergy are in my prayers, but especially the good and valiant, who have chosen to...
- Spinmamma: “The one who does justice will live in the presence of the Lord. One who walks blamelessl y and does justice; who thinks the truth in his heart and slanders not with his tongue....
- RichR: There comes a point where you just have to choose sides. You can’t worry about public perception anymore. This is about how you prepare your soul and the souls of those you shepherd for...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Mighty St. Thérèse, victim of “fake news” and the cruelty of libs
- New book from Card. Sarah
- Open Letter From Cardinals Burke and Brandmüller to Conferences of Bishops: “The plague of the homosexual agenda has been spread within the Church”
- My View For Awhile: Rapid Western Strike
- Fr. Finigan @FatherTF and the importance of memorization
- During the Rome “summit” we celebrate the Feast of St Peter Damian, Doctor of the Church
- Rome abuse “summit”, an SSPX video, and an @fatherz Jeremiad
- The Rome “summit”, “gay” priests, and #sodoclericalism – Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Fr. Rutler’s Weekly Column
- BOOK RECEIVED: 1962 Parish Ritual – HUZZAH!
- Archbp. Viganò offers thoughts on The Present Crisis before the Rome “Summit”
- Suffering and attacks on the Church’s “Eldest Daughter”
- Mister McCarrick
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Shiny little fish!
- Interesting observation by @CCPecknold about laicization of McCarrick
- WDTPRS – Septuagesima Sunday: PRE-LENT BEGINS!
- Of Flaring Suns and Starry Nights
- A quick book plug: A Catholic Introduction to the Bible: The Old Testament
- Opportunity: R.I.P.
- POLL: Prayers after Mass
- “Know also this, that, in the last days, shall come dangerous times.”
- Do you know priests who are struggling, under attack? Terrific movement: Seven Sisters Apostolate
- Movement in the causes of Bl. John Henry Newman and Card. József Mindszenty
- ASK FATHER: During sick call, tea and biscuits before administering Communion
- Another look at Catholic/Islamic statement: “diversity of religions … are willed by God in His wisdom”
- Your Good News
- “Rumors that a certain prelate threatens his orthodox priests with institutionalization or laicization are not rumors… they are truth”
- BREAKING: Rubrics and color-blindness
- Card. Kasper attacks Card. Müller who publicly proclaimed Catholic doctrine
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: January 2019
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I know this is a bit early for Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, but I am curious (and excited about Lent). There’s a trend of putting butter into one’s coffee. Basically it’s supposed to make you … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: This Sunday morning a big snow storm made the roads look treacherous. I live 10 miles from church. I assumed Mass was cancelled but could find no texts or other notices either way. Later, I found … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: It has been over 20 years since I’ve attended a marriage in the OF between two Catholics that has had a Nuptial Mass. Why doesn’t the Church require that if two Catholics are getting married, they … Continue reading
UPDATE: At the Register Ed Pentin provides some explanations. HERE Originally Published on: Jan 30, 2019 Wikileaks. Whatever you may think of Wikileaks, this is interesting. HERE My emphases: Pope’s Private Letter Reveals Early Involvement in Power Struggle 30 January, 2019 Documents released by … Continue reading
It had to happen. If it was successful in NY, it would be attempted in other states.. Read at LifeSite about a bill in Virginia that would allow abortion even at the point of giving birth. Good heavens… is “abortion” … Continue reading
Canonist Ed Peters on trying Gov. Andrew “the Ghoul” Cuomo for heresy. Fr. Z makes some observations.
When I was travel back to these USA from Tokyo, I was addressed by fellow travelers about Gov. Cuomo. “When is he going to excommunicated?” They were really angry. People are angry. Rightly so. They want action, not words, from … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Recently marijuana was legalized in Canada. As such, the issue has come up that Marijuana can stay within the system for a very long time and a habitual user can be impaired by marijuana even if … Continue reading
In the traditional Roman calendar, today is the Feast of St. Francis de Sales, Bishop and Doctor. He was a great warrior for the Church in the face of the Protestant Revolt. According to the Louis de la Rivière in … Continue reading
As you know, Summorum Pontificum affirms that priests and those obliged to say the Office, can use the traditional, pre-Conciliar Breviarium Romanum. A while back I answered a query about use of the Breviarium Romanum published by the SSPX. HERE I came down on … Continue reading
The adventure to Tokyo has wrapped up, and the long flight home endured. I thought some of you might like a few more images. First, I am a bit of a sucker for Tokyo subway posters. I marvel at them. … Continue reading
From a reader… Good evening Father, A funny story that you might appreciate. My 4 year old son was sitting with me while putting my 2 year old to sleep, and he was watching my phone. I was praying Vespers … Continue reading
May I ask that the readership offer some prayers and penances for the intention of my good friend Fr. Timothy Finigan? He is quite ill and awaiting the results of some tests. He would much appreciate your prayers. Over the … Continue reading
Breitbart has a piece which shows the fruits of decades of slack theological training and compromised religious formation. An LBGT promoting Franciscan, who teaches heaven knows what in the theological Babylon called Chicago Theological Union, has called the March For … Continue reading
It seems that Albany’s bishop, Most Rev. Edward B. Scharfenberger, is not remaining silent about Gov. Cuomo and his hypocrisy. From Fox: NY Bishop Calls Out Cuomo Over State’s New Abortion Law: ‘It Goes Way Beyond Roe vs. Wade’ A … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: What happens to your guardian angel after you die? Did he necessarily exist before you were conceived? If so, was he possibly somebody else’s guardian before? Indeed are angels the guardians of more than one soul? Thanks for the … Continue reading