Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Ave Maria: I noted the numbers of the Psalms and will take a close look at them. I doubt the sin-nods will be cancelled as they are part of the current agenda to change/des troy the Church. It goes...
- Kerry: The See of plastic straws?
- teomatteo: I will pray that PF cancels it. That the participan ts find that they cant attend and if those things are not God’ s will then that Archbsp Chaput attends -kicks some preverb...
- Elizabeth D: I’m going to dissent a littleR 11;though not that Christ has won the victory! That is the essential thing. I think sin does result in various wounds that do not simply heal...
- irishromancatholic: The Rosary, The Rosary, The Rosary is the constant exhortatio n by the Mother of God and recent holy men such as Padre Pio. The great Pope Leo XIII who could be dubbed “The...
- AveMariaGratiaPlena: Battle scars — fantastic! Thank you to the author of that letter.
- AveMariaGratiaPlena: @MrsMacD thank you for that suggestion . Speaking of liturgy, we recently moved to an area where there’s no FSSP parish (a group of us is working on it) and the one young...
- AveMariaGratiaPlena: Is there a good explanatio n somewhere of what exactly “soul-kill ing hatred” or gravely sinful hatred is? I do have a temper and regularly get angry (which I confess), but I...
- JesusFreak84: The Vatican 217;s intelligen ce apparatus is not insignific ant: https://ww w.churchmi litant.com /news/arti cle/santa- alleanza-t he-vatican -intellige nce-servic e And that...
- Suburbanbanshee: Starting a document with banal language, and including a lot of mindless filler, is a great bureaucrat ic way to ensure that most people ignore the good stuff further in.
- Unwilling: Defend the Holy Synod from the machinatio ns of the Evil One.
- Mary of Carmel: My parents left the Church when I was nine. I got involved in sorts of sinful stuff including practicing the occult and new age stuff and did so for over 25 years. Came back to the...
- Lurker 59: One of the things that frustrate me to no end is those in high places, who not content with doing the rather simple job of preaching Christ crucified, decided to opine at ponder...
- Charles E Flynn: The next question Father Z will confront: Is it morally licit to play the numbers of the previously -somewhat- obscure-si nce 1962 maledictor y psalms in my state̵ 7;s lottery?
- Sawyer: Can you imagine what tremendous benefits would have accrued to the Church to have Fr. Rutler as a bishop or even the pope?
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: Dear Quovadis, I assume that you are looking for the English translatio n of the Propers of Dominican saints to use with the English Liturgy of the Hours. It is publis...
- Elizabeth D: Um okay, so we know how you feel about “Mor os” and apparently the same sentiments about Jews?? A Christian cannot have this mentality. Israel is the covenant bride of God;...
- excalibur: OT Heads up, Father Z, you may want to read this. Cardinal Cupich goes after a priest, a man who is a survivor of sexual abuse, including by a priest. Prayers for Father Kalchik. https...
- Matamoros: As I recall, this is the same Card. Müller who railed against Bp. Williamson , refused him to say mass in his diocese and stated that anyone who was against the judaizatio n of the...
- Elizabeth D: Maybe I’m the only person here who owns a printed copy of that document “Gui delines for the pastoral care of the road” ;. I have a Catholic Truth Society edition of...
- richiedel: Fr. MartinR 17;s biblical illiteracy is so glaring, it should disqualify him from having any sense of influence in matters Catholic, let alone Christian. The premise that fasting...
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: Excerpts from an article posted by Brother Joseph, SFO (Secular Franciscan Order), on his blog, “Sai nt Francis SpeaksR 21; on Jan. 27, 2010 (SaintFran cisSpea...
- TonyO: Malta, I don’ t really think he is pro-homose xualist, so much as against the traditiona l understand ing of sin and moral reality. I don’ t so much think that he believes active...
- MissBee: Father, I really needed to see this. Thank you. I also struggle with memories from my previous life and it’s a difficult penance.
- MrsMacD: And Our Lady of Revelation in Rome. She specifical ly talks about this Pope. Pope Pius XII approved this apparition , it’s an extension of Fatima. There is a great series about her...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: Should we pray for or against the success of the Synod?
- What passes for important today.
- YOU are other people. It’s always someone else… until it’s YOU.
- ASK FATHER: Are we are in the End Times?
- Fr. Murray’s Open Letter to ex-Card. McCarrick. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Cri de Coeur about lost innocence and The Present Crisis
- Card. Müller: “the real danger to today’s humanity is the greenhouse gases of sin and the global warming of unbelief”
- Thoughts on fatherhood and how priestly identity is undercut by short terms as pastors
- More Jesuit idiocy – BUT WAIT! There’s more!
- Henry Sire: “Archbishop Viganò is now living in fear of his life, quite literally.”
- One Mad Mom spanks James Martin, LGBTSJ
- ASK FATHER: Can a Dominican Tertiary priest use the Dominican Rite?
- Lay Rage in Chicago, Mary Eberstadt takes names, and Fr. Z rants
- There are more than one “lavender mafia”
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS – 17th Sunday after Pentecost: diabolical contagion
- We are all, I think, striving to understand how we got to the point where we are.
- ASK FATHER: What should we do for Ember Days?
- UPDATED – ACTION ITEM! 10 year old’s fundraiser for a Pregnancy Care Center
- At end of youth meeting, no Apostolic Benediction from Francis.
- Francis to clergy, seminarians, religion in Palermo: “Clericalism… one of the most difficult perversions”
- UPDATE: 15 Sept: Seven Sorrows of Mary, Mater Dolorosa, Queen of Martyrs – Queen of Clergy
- @BishopZubik announces traditional practices for @DioPitt
- Bits and pieces
- WDTPRS – 24th Ordinary Sunday: Does it make any difference to offer prayers to God?
- Videos and hi-res photos of the Consecration of the Abbey and Abbess of Gower
- UPDATED Mary, Queen of the Clergy holy cards with Daily Prayer for Priests – AVAILABLE!
- Of Friday and festive penitential Pesto fit for a King
- BOOKS RECEIVED: A hard look at Francis in Spanish by Argentinian author
- 14 Sept: 11th Anniversary of Summorum Pontificum – Thank you, Benedict XVI!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: 1983 CIC can. 915
From a reader…
As a recently baptized Catholic (2016, entirely in the traditional form), I am used to attending the TLM or a NO mass at a monastery (and so without EMHCs). I occasionally sing in a choir at a Sunday afternoon mass (NO) … Continue reading
This from Jesuit-run Amerika:
Cardinal Kasper: Quit throwing around the word ‘heretic’ [Hmmm. I’ll bet he says that!]
Think twice before calling someone a “heretic.”
That is the seemingly simple advice from Cardinal Walter Kasper, the prominent German theologian whose ideas have influenced Pope … Continue reading
From a reader…
Is it OK for a diocesan priest to offer Mass in an SSPX chapel on a regular basis?
Let’s consider a couple points.
Can. 932 §1 states:
“The eucharistic celebration is to be carried out in a sacred place unless in a … Continue reading
From a reader…
A cousin of mine was baptised in the Catholic Church as an infant to fulfill the wishes of persistent grandparents. But was in no way raised in the Church and never recieved any other sacraments – is she … Continue reading
From a reader…
Something that I have been wondering about is whether or not the Church could deny marrying a couple where one intended spouse was previously married, had children then the Church granted an annulment [declaration of nullity] saying the … Continue reading
From a reader…
A woman in my 60s now, having had a couple of bad falls one requiring surgery, the other requiring weeks of bedrest . . . the church parking lot and walkways usually icy, frozen, unplowed, untreated, and no … Continue reading
UPDATED: Ed Peters provides refreshing clarity about force of odd papal letter to Argentinian bishops
Joseph Shaw has some observations about the appearance of the Pope’s letter to the Bishops of Buenos Aires in AAS. HERE
Among other things he states:
There is, however, more to making something part of the magisterium, and therefore binding on the … Continue reading
The liberal attack on converts who are concerned about the Church continue. Lately liberal paplatrous gnostic Austen Ivereigh, once editor of The Bitter Pill in the UK, jumped aboard the band-wagon launched by Michael Sean Winters of the Fishwrap. (HERE) Liberal historian … Continue reading
From a reader…
One of the requirements for receiving communion, besides being in the state of grace, is being “properly disposed” to receive. This is something that never gets talked about. How exactly should we discern whether we are “properly disposed,” … Continue reading
If you are a priest who has been hassled by your bishop about saying the traditional Mass with the 1962 Missale Romanum, pay attention. Help has arrived.
Recently a priest of my acquaintance sent two questions to my old haunts the Pontifical … Continue reading
Some people on the Kasperite side (give Communion to the divorced and remarried who have no purpose of amendment, etc.) have a spittle-flecked nutty when can. 915 is brought into the discussion.
Distinguished commonsense canonist Ed Peters has offered us yet … Continue reading
From a reader…
Is it appropriate to have Masses said for deceased non-Catholics? What about Gregorian Masses?
You are in our prayers! Thank you for your time and your ministry.
It is praiseworthy and a work of mercy to pray for the dead. … Continue reading
At the NYT (aka Hell’s Bible) see what Ross Douthat has to say:
Dilution of Doctrine
LAST weekend Tim Kaine, the Democratic vice-presidential nominee and a churchgoing Catholic, briefly escaped obscurity by telling an audience of L.G.B.T. activists that he expects his … Continue reading
One good thing resulting from the confusion surrounding both the Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation Amoris laetitia and the recent Argentinian Letter, is that the Church’s teachings on important moral issues, and about disposition to receive Communion, are being reviewed and clarified (and, … Continue reading
Distinguished canonist Ed Peters (who also comments here) has posted on his fine blog In The Light Of The Law some thoughts about Pope Francis’ latest move, the letter to the Argentinian bishop about a draft document that seems to attempt … Continue reading