Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- JustaSinner: Oh Father, I’d like to imagine them making sense̷ 0;
- johnnys: That guy must have been pretty tired after doing all that dancing. Being the only guy and all. Well… ;maybe not.
- teomatteo: “Kee p shouting. Shout louder. That’s what it means to be a witness.” No. Thats what it means to be a loudmouth or a clanging gong.
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: I hope they read as part of this program my article on why Hildegard of Bingen absolutely rejected the ordination of women: https://ww w.jstor.or g/stable/3 167533?...
- Arthur McGowan: Why should anyone be shocked that bishops are punishing priests for speaking against sodomy? Bishops have long been punishing priests for refusing to commit an act that is a more...
- Charles E Flynn: Meanwhile, the Cistercian s “sch olar on”& #8221; https://ww w.cisterci anpublicat ions.org/P roducts/CS 274P/Every day-Life-a t-La-Trapp e-under-Ar mandJean-d e-Ranc
- Kevin: Actually feminism and Catholicis m do mix… .”So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.̶ 1;
- benedetta: Great commentary , Father. Thanks for the laughs today.
- Anneliese: Reading this with an Old Fashioned in hand brought a giggle to my rather dismal day. It’s also an incredibly frustratin g story as I know this type of stuff happens more frequen...
- jaykay: “Kee p shouting. Shout louder. That’s what it means to be a witness.” No, it means shouting at each other. Or at the traffic. Same result. Dialogue of the deaf. Definitely not ̶...
- Credoh: It wasn’ ;t Archbishop Tartaglia who sacked Fr Morris; it was GCU. Here’ ;s an article for Crux by the Archbishop . I now expect a robust response to GCU… https://cr uxnow...
- Kerry: If one pokes around at the GCU website, don’ t miss the photo of the new, first female (!), chancellor /President . Also on the staff, is an “Equ ality Expeert 221;. (I am not...
- Semper Gumby: “Som e great purpose and design is being worked out here below, of which we have the honor to be faithful servants.& #8221; – Winston Churchill addressing the U.S. Congr...
- Chris Garton-Zavesky: Sanguszka, “It is frankly abhorrent& #8221; [but no longer surprising ]” that a Catholic priest would be dismissed from his post as a Catholic chaplain for merely...
- Semper Gumby: Excellent.
- jhayes: In the rite of consecrati on, the woman puts her hands between those of the bishop and says “Fat her, receive my resolution to follow Christ in a life of perfect chastity which, with...
- Sanguszka: Please see the UK Catholic Herald http://cat holicheral d.co.uk/ne ws/2018/07 /19/univer sity-chapl ain-sacked -after-hol ding-servi ce-of-repa ration-for -gay-pride /?platform =hootsu...
- Lurker 59: The following is a bit hyperbolic but is descriptiv e of the angst that is experience d by some out there, and much more than myself. Fr. Z’s story about the conversion of the Jew,...
- JamesA: Done. I will also point out that according to Wikipedia, Archbishop Tartaglia has also been a target of our friends the homosexual ists ( who have no lobby in the Vatican, as we are assured...
- Sawyer: Father, I pray and I try to persevere, but it is hard to avoid discourage ment. Without writing a lengthy post, I and others I know struggle with deteriorat ing conditions in the world and...
- Kevin: This comment is a copy/paste of a comment I made earlier this week. ‘I am currently reading “The Sayings of the Desert Fathers: The Alphabetic al Collection ”. This is a quote from St....
- majuscule: In this case I’m sure “psycholog ical evaluation ” = communist re-educati on camp.
- Joy65: Our Father Hail Mary Glory Be for Father Morris and for our world. He did the exact right thing no matter what the world thinks.
- APX: First off, eww. I didn’t want that mental image in my mind. Eww. A warning would have been helpful. Second, we really do need to organize and schedule Holy Hours and Procession s of public...
- Unwilling: It’s a mystery to me that with not only sex scandals but high level contradict ions on doctrine anyone new can be attracted to the Church and especially to choose the narrow gate!
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- What could possibly go wrong? – UPDATED
- YOUR GOOD NEWS… and Washington DC’s new Auxiliary Bishop and key priest at Detroit’s major seminary
- Budding young feminist archeologists
- ASK FATHER: Baptism of child of a same-sex couple?
- BOOK RECEIVED: Why Humanae Vitae Is Still Right!
- What the TMSM is doing with your donations
- Who is behind that “Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video” and how are they being treated?
- ACTION ITEM! Pray for Fr. Morris, victim of the homosexualist agenda
- Are we still trustworthy?
- Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video. Then Fr. Z rants about crying.
- The image of the badge of the Vendée came to mind today
- ACTION ITEM! Spiritual Bouquet for Bp. Morlino
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Garofolato!
- ASK FATHER: Cremains in funeral Mass, Traditional Requiem
- Pontifical Mass in Lake Charles. A brief and yet optimistic rant from Fr. Z.
- The last 10 minutes…
- 17 July 1794: “Permission to die, Mother?”
- 17 July 2018 – 100 years after
- Cobblestones, new vestments, and swag for Zed Heads
- More shallow, angry, cliché feminist rubbish from Fishwrap
- The demographics of church participation are shifting.
- ACTION ITEM! Urgent prayer request for a priest
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- “St Swithin’s day if thou be fair…”
- What priests can – with credibility – do in marriage preparation
- French stones and soutanes
- US Association of Consecrated Virgins condemns confusing new rules from Holy See
- ¡Hagan lío! in Poland. Young, and raising hell…. correction… razing Hell.
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: We can stray off the path to the right or to the left.
- 12 July: Sts. Louis Martin and Marie-Azélie Guérin
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: 1983 CIC can. 915
From a reader…
As a recently baptized Catholic (2016, entirely in the traditional form), I am used to attending the TLM or a NO mass at a monastery (and so without EMHCs). I occasionally sing in a choir at a Sunday afternoon mass (NO) … Continue reading
This from Jesuit-run Amerika:
Cardinal Kasper: Quit throwing around the word ‘heretic’ [Hmmm. I’ll bet he says that!]
Think twice before calling someone a “heretic.”
That is the seemingly simple advice from Cardinal Walter Kasper, the prominent German theologian whose ideas have influenced Pope … Continue reading
From a reader…
Is it OK for a diocesan priest to offer Mass in an SSPX chapel on a regular basis?
Let’s consider a couple points.
Can. 932 §1 states:
“The eucharistic celebration is to be carried out in a sacred place unless in a … Continue reading
From a reader…
A cousin of mine was baptised in the Catholic Church as an infant to fulfill the wishes of persistent grandparents. But was in no way raised in the Church and never recieved any other sacraments – is she … Continue reading
From a reader…
Something that I have been wondering about is whether or not the Church could deny marrying a couple where one intended spouse was previously married, had children then the Church granted an annulment [declaration of nullity] saying the … Continue reading
From a reader…
A woman in my 60s now, having had a couple of bad falls one requiring surgery, the other requiring weeks of bedrest . . . the church parking lot and walkways usually icy, frozen, unplowed, untreated, and no … Continue reading
UPDATED: Ed Peters provides refreshing clarity about force of odd papal letter to Argentinian bishops
Joseph Shaw has some observations about the appearance of the Pope’s letter to the Bishops of Buenos Aires in AAS. HERE
Among other things he states:
There is, however, more to making something part of the magisterium, and therefore binding on the … Continue reading
The liberal attack on converts who are concerned about the Church continue. Lately liberal paplatrous gnostic Austen Ivereigh, once editor of The Bitter Pill in the UK, jumped aboard the band-wagon launched by Michael Sean Winters of the Fishwrap. (HERE) Liberal historian … Continue reading
From a reader…
One of the requirements for receiving communion, besides being in the state of grace, is being “properly disposed” to receive. This is something that never gets talked about. How exactly should we discern whether we are “properly disposed,” … Continue reading
If you are a priest who has been hassled by your bishop about saying the traditional Mass with the 1962 Missale Romanum, pay attention. Help has arrived.
Recently a priest of my acquaintance sent two questions to my old haunts the Pontifical … Continue reading
Some people on the Kasperite side (give Communion to the divorced and remarried who have no purpose of amendment, etc.) have a spittle-flecked nutty when can. 915 is brought into the discussion.
Distinguished commonsense canonist Ed Peters has offered us yet … Continue reading
From a reader…
Is it appropriate to have Masses said for deceased non-Catholics? What about Gregorian Masses?
You are in our prayers! Thank you for your time and your ministry.
It is praiseworthy and a work of mercy to pray for the dead. … Continue reading
At the NYT (aka Hell’s Bible) see what Ross Douthat has to say:
Dilution of Doctrine
LAST weekend Tim Kaine, the Democratic vice-presidential nominee and a churchgoing Catholic, briefly escaped obscurity by telling an audience of L.G.B.T. activists that he expects his … Continue reading
One good thing resulting from the confusion surrounding both the Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation Amoris laetitia and the recent Argentinian Letter, is that the Church’s teachings on important moral issues, and about disposition to receive Communion, are being reviewed and clarified (and, … Continue reading
Distinguished canonist Ed Peters (who also comments here) has posted on his fine blog In The Light Of The Law some thoughts about Pope Francis’ latest move, the letter to the Argentinian bishop about a draft document that seems to attempt … Continue reading