Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- originalsolitude: Therese Ivers, canon lawyer and consecrate d virgin, has posted the first two parts of her commentary on ESI. I’m not sure whether you may have to sign up to read it....
- iamlucky13: The lighting in the video reminds me of something I’m pretty sure Fr. Z said previously about how church lighting shouldn 217;t necessaril y be about exhibiting the marvel...
- Gaetano: Chesterton addressed this point in Orthodoxy: If you leave a thing alone you leave it to a torrent of change. If you leave a white post alone it will soon be a black post. If you particu...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: VP says: how the Church can claim indefectib ility given the overall quality of today’s clergy (there are of course individual exceptions ) And that is enough. The problem of...
- jameeka: “Tra dition holds us in a tension.” Good! At least It holds us.
- MrsMacD: Mark 13:11, “And when they shall lead you and deliver you up, be not thoughtful beforehand what you shall speak; but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye. For it...
- FN: When I first converted, 15 years ago now, I would start to cry every time I received Communion from the priest. His eyes were so holy it seemed to throw a switch in my heart. I was actua...
- VP: Not trustworth y. I am finding it more and more difficult to explain to my son, who is a possible vocation, how the Church can claim indefectib ility given the overall quality of today̵ 7;s...
- Peter Stuart: Sorry, no. There are good establishm ent priests for sure, but they work in an organizati on that’ ;s been playing games with the Church all my life and gives rewards for it, and...
- Kathleen10: I think most laity who go to the TLM see the Holy Mass just this way. I think many priests and Bishops and Cardinals and the pope would be surprised to know most laity who go to the TLM...
- JesusFreak84: A lot of my prayer books from the Christian East also include many petitions for the grace to weep over one’ s sins and faults. I’ve heard a legend that the frayed end of...
- Kathleen10: No. Not trustworth y. There isn’ t an organizati on of any kind that can give up it’s foundation and remain what it was. How would that even be possible. By definition you...
- teachermom24: The video captured what I felt in many churches in Rome. Not too sentimenta l for me, not at all. In 2012, my children and I assisted at our first TLM (St. Francis de Sales, St....
- KateD: Regarding the priest changing into Jesus̷ 0;.the good one’ s sure do get crucified like Him in today̵ 7;s Church. To me they often look like they have been beaten to a spirit...
- djc: Fr Z, have you thought about making a Vendée lapel pin available for sale on your site?
- iPadre: Fr. Z says: “Tha t’s not something that everyone sees, of course, because Mass is ad orientem. But it is a deeply intimate moment that probably shouldn’t be on display. 8221; And...
- JamesA: So many things to weep about these days, Father. Thank you for giving us a beautiful reason.
- fishonthehill: I think all in all a good clip. A little Italo sentimenta l/sappy. But the pace of everything slowing down is wonderful. And as you say, Fr. Z….. Brick by Brick; this is an...
- KateD: I know isn’ t it awful? My wake up call came as the credits rolled on the movie Fallen with Denzel Washington . The line in the Stones song Sympathy for the Devil about Anasta...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: iPadre says: My favorite scene was when the priest changed into Jesus. That’s us. Alter Christus! Note also that one of those moments of the Mass was the “Sup plices te...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Charlotte Allen says: the young woman in the video Yes, the girlfriend angle also occurred to me. However, I think it is more likely that she, in her lovely, flashy, worldly...
- southernpriest: What a beautiful screen shot of our Lord’ ;s Blood dripping into the chalice! As a late vocation, I spent many early years way from the Mass, but not from going to Mary...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: LeeGilbert says: walking in galleries, or counting the interest of my revenues, Indeed. This is why the true full, active and conscious participat ion desired by the Council...
- LeeGilbert: from de Rancés On the Sanctity and Duties of the Monastic State: St. Jerome, penetrated with sorrow, cries out on the same subject: If I had no faith I would not pray at all; but if I...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: ex seaxe says: Pretty sure I would not want to serve, I would find the duties distracted me from worship. Right. I think that is fair. And it is not unusual. It is realist...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Are we still trustworthy?
- Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video. Then Fr. Z rants about crying.
- The image of the badge of the Vendée came to mind today
- ACTION ITEM! Spiritual Bouquet for Bp. Morlino
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Garofolato!
- ASK FATHER: Cremains in funeral Mass, Traditional Requiem
- Pontifical Mass in Lake Charles. A brief and yet optimistic rant from Fr. Z.
- The last 10 minutes…
- 17 July 1794: “Permission to die, Mother?”
- 17 July 2018 – 100 years after
- Cobblestones, new vestments, and swag for Zed Heads
- More shallow, angry, cliché feminist rubbish from Fishwrap
- The demographics of church participation are shifting.
- ACTION ITEM! Urgent prayer request for a priest
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- “St Swithin’s day if thou be fair…”
- What priests can – with credibility – do in marriage preparation
- French stones and soutanes
- US Association of Consecrated Virgins condemns confusing new rules from Holy See
- What could possibly go wrong?
- ¡Hagan lío! in Poland. Young, and raising hell…. correction… razing Hell.
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: We can stray off the path to the right or to the left.
- 12 July: Sts. Louis Martin and Marie-Azélie Guérin
- Does “Beans” @MassimoFaggioli undermine ‘Humanae vitae’?
- ASK FATHER: Mom baptized my child in the bathtub
- INTERESTING UPDATE – Pope Francis phones Gianni Vattimo, philosopher of “weak thought”
- SSPX ELECTS NEW SUPERIOR GENERAL – UPDATED
- Ex ore infantium perfecisti laudem
- ASK FATHER: Should a priest have a day off?
- ASK FATHER: Traditional Latin Mass in a Protestant church?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: Biased Media Coverage
The catholic Smear Machine is getting a lift from non-catholics. At Christianity Today, in their “Society” section of all places, comes a piece from someone named Henry Farley, whose name I have not yet encountered. He is, apparently, a Junior Staff Writer who … Continue reading
The Smear Machine is grinding. right on schedule, the liberal news outlets are closing ranks to discredit The Four Cardinals who submitted dubia to the Holy Father about what are generally admitted by reasonable people to be confusing points.
Thought: I suggest to … Continue reading
First, here is a link to something that I posted some time ago: HERE
Once again the National Schismatic Reporter (aka Fishwrap) is stumping in favor of the ordination of women to the priesthood. This is what the Fishwrap does: they dissent from the Church’s teaching … Continue reading
A quick book recommendation. On my drive home from Michigan yesterday I started listening to a book, read to me by my older gen Kindle (don’t have one yet? US HERE – UK HERE) by Rodney Stark, Bearing False Witness: … Continue reading
Liberal journalists try to buy an AR-15 to prove how easy it is to obtain a long-gun under false pretenses (i.e., for the purposes of terror). Alas, the system worked.
From Free Beacon:
Store Owner: Undercover CBS Purchase of AR-15 Broke Federal … Continue reading
So… there is the Letter itself and there is the MSM (“main stream media” for those of you in Columbia Heights) spin, especially through headlines.
Headlines are often composed not by the writers of the articles, but by backroom editors who often a) don’t … Continue reading
It’s not an urban legend, it’s a LIE: Paul VI did NOT give permission to nuns to use contraceptives.
The other day Pope Francis, in the infamous post-Mexico airplane presser, said:
Paolo VI – il grande! – in una situazione difficile, in Africa, ha permesso alle suore di usare gli anticoncezionali per i casi di violenza. … Paul VI – … Continue reading
VIDEO: Straight talk from Fr. Murray about secular media that mocks prayer and belief in God (ACTION ITEM!)
After the massacre in San Bernardino the liberal New York Daily News mocked people to pray and who believe in God. HERE
My friend Fr. Gerry Murray provided some straight talk on Fox News with Neil Cavuto. This is outstanding!
Watch the … Continue reading
Some of the worst analysis from a TV broadcast and journalist that I have ever heard about the Church. HERE
Count the problems.
Remember… this is about the coverage.
Moderation queue is ON.
Archbp. Myers: “Catholics must be in a marriage recognized as valid by the Church to receive Holy Communion”
Liberal-megaphone RNS’ and David Gibson have a damage control piece out right now. They may sense that things are not going well at the Synod for the Kasperite agenda.
ROME — Even as Pope Francis and Catholic leaders from around the … Continue reading
I have seen the whole series Wolf Hall via BBC.
I entirely agree with Charles Krauthammer at WaPo:
“Wolf Hall,” the Man Booker Prize-winning historical novel about the court of Henry VIII — and most dramatically, the conflict between Thomas Cromwell and … Continue reading
Reactions to my post When they come to destroy your business because you are pro-traditional family are still rolling in. It was cited quite a few news outlets and blogs.
Today, Sunday, there is a piece in the local paper where I … Continue reading
At the conclusion of the CDF investigation of the LCWR, it is interesting to watch the conga line dance threading its delirious way through the liberal catholic MSM led by Fishwrap‘s Tom Fox, AP‘s (not catholic, but liberal) Nicole Winfield and Rachel Zoll, Commonweal‘s … Continue reading
The MSM took what the Pope said on the airplane (about a homosexual who is trying to live a holy life), that is, “Who am I to judge?” and ran with only half the story, giving the impression that Pope … Continue reading
It’s almost always the case that when I post anything about Religion News Service (RNS), it’s because what they publish is liberal editorializing rather than religious news. David Gibson of RNS seems to go out of his way to make conservative Catholics … Continue reading