Not to be missed…
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- JustaSinner: Laura Ingraham needs to start working in Tucker to convert to Catholicis m…ju st sayin’.
- Pius Admirabilis: @lsclerkin Thank you for sharing this link!
- Pius Admirabilis: Pater reverende, you might want to reconsider which books you recommend. Bonhoeffer was a heretic theologian (being a Calvinist) , and he openly denied the Godhood of Christ,...
- Mulier Fortis: In England the Friday abstinence has been reinstated for all Catholics – we never had the “all Fridays in Lent” ; version. [Except, I believe, for today, since today...
- Ms. M-S: Thanks, Father Z! This is just what I needed to hear.
- aiello01: The image of the cross standing bright at the altar, and everything else blackened and charred, says it all. It is a metaphor for what our priorities should be in Christiani ty.
- KAS: UPDATE: well, van got fixed, everything fell into place. I think my 9 yr old was praying to get to go on this campout and trumped my hoping to avoid it. Van is packed and the weather is...
- iPadre: Both sadness and joy. My father was called home by the Lord on Holy Thursday morning. Born on the eve of Our Lord’ ;s birth, died on the eve of Our Lord’ ;s death. Today, I...
- Kathleen10: It is late and I don’ t have time tonight to read all the good news, but look forward to reading it tomorrow. Right now good news is badly needed. My good news is everybo...
- Josephus Corvus: I was looking at another site where they were asking whether or not Bishop Hying was good for Madison. The general response was that since Father Z is happy all is good!
- JamesA: OORAH for Notre Dame Seminary ! Archbishop Aymond, a good man but no fan of Latin or tradition, was very pastoral in allowing this. He is pretty generous that way.
- JamesA: Deo gratias !!! So happy for you and the whole Diocese of Madison. Apparently Rome can still do some things right.
- Sword40: My wife and I have followed the 1962 calendar since we joined our FSSP parish 10 years ago. First at North American MartyrR 17;s in Seattle and now at St. JosephR 17;s just south of...
- L.: Not too many years ago I was told in confession by a Monsignor (a “My Lord,̶ 1; that is) that “we used to believe in that,̶ 1; i.e. abstinence or some other observance on...
- Volanges: When the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops issued its norms on the new code of Canon Law, it did not distinguis h between the Fridays of Lent and the rest of the Fridays; we are...
- UncleBlobb: Dear Father Z., I sincerely congratula te you and the Dioceses of Madison on your new bishop! Good for you! Please say a prayer that good things may happen – and maybe likely...
- JesusFreak84: I thought of Cardinal Pell with that prayer at the end =-(
- Charivari Rob: It was a nice Holy Week and Easter Sunday, bookended at our own parish and visiting several others along the way. Got to the Cathedral for Good Friday – saw the results of...
- notenoughflair: In an ideal world, if I had the choice to propose a true Guild composed of all women of the parish, I would have it be a combinatio n of a Spiritual Motherhood themed prayer and...
- Roy Hobbs: Mrs. Hobbs and I have been doing our best to go meatless on Fridays for the past three years or so. We started doing this upon (actually) learning (on our own) essentiall y what Can....
- Kenneth Wolfe: It may be of interest for a little history on Easter Friday abstinence . Prior to the new (current) code of canon law, abstinence was mandatory on (among other days) every Friday of...
- Aquinas Gal: I don’ t understand why one would need to ask a priest for a dispensati on, since at least in the US the bishops have already done that in law. I know the idea was to make it a...
- lgreen515: On Tuesday of Holy Week I made a pilgrimage to Wheeling, WV to venerate the relic of St. John Vianney. I saw the solemn procession and sang Matins with the congregati on. It was very...
- Chris Garton-Zavesky: I am very pleased to be told there is no cause for alarm by someone whose judgment is reliable in other matters, such as the idea that we need to have good liturgy done well....
- Animadversor: May I charitably wonder if that much of the difficulty that the Church finds Herself in comes from perhaps less than elevated intellectu al standards used in the selection of prospe...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Latin and You. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- An interlude… from today’s Matins
- VIDEO @EricMetaxas on what’s important
- ASK FATHER: Eating meat on Friday during the Octave of Easter
- Happy feedback and a note about donations
- GOOD NEWS! 5th Bishop of Madison appointed!
- PASCHALCAzT 51 – Easter Thursday: Hell grasped a corpse, and met God.
- Your Good News
- A lesson in “selective aggression”
- A Cardinal on the ropes of logic
- PASCHALCAzT 50 – Easter Wednesday: You are a holy seed, a new colony of bees, the very flower of my ministry
- Fr. Z seeks advice about women
- A few Easter Vigil moments – UPDATES
- News from Norcia! Benedictines, beauty and beer
- Card. Piacenza to priests: “Wanna be a modern priest? HEAR CONFESSIONS!” Whereupon Fr. Z really rants.
- PASCHALCAzT 49 – Easter Tuesday: Christ won it, but we can lose it
- CQ CQ CQ – #HamRadio Tuesday: ZedNet reminder
- ASK FATHER: A 12 year old asks ” #EarthDay is coming up…”
- ASK FATHER: How to receive Communion on the tongue?
- ASK FATHER: Father used the blessing for a train when blessing my car
- PASCHALCAzT 48 – Easter Monday: Year by year by year
- Wonderful wonderful photo
- It pays to be attentive, especially when you are really tired!
- Your Easter Sunday Sermon Notes
- VIDEO: Fr. Murray on bombings, Easter and our Catholic identity
- PASCHALCAzT 47 – Easter Sunday: Leave the shrouds in the tomb
- ACTION ITEM: Help for a traditional Catholic seminarian continues! – UPDATED… for EASTER!
- Benedict XVI on the Paschal Candle
- WDTPRS and AUDIO: The Exsultet – explained, translated, sung
- JUST TOO COOL: Fr. Z kudos to Our Lady’s Bees! They survived the fire #NDParis
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: Both Lungs
This is impressive by anyone’s standards. The wonderful Lyceum school in Cleveland, has a great choir. They sang for a Pontifical Mass with Card. Burke and then a Divine Liturgy with Bp.Milan Lach. Read about it HERE. I want to … Continue reading
I saw this at ChurchPop. I really like the idea. Orthodox Priest Cleanses His City’s Downtown with Holy Water After LGBT Parade @cityod, Twitter / Odessa Media Talk about spiritual warfare. An LGBT pride parade took place this last weekend … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I attend a NO parish and am considering moving to a Ukrainian Catholic Parish for a variety of reasons but mainly because I am attracted to the Divine Liturgy and the beautiful traditions they have held … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Is it licit for a child who has received the sacraments of baptism and first communion in the Western Rite to receive the sacrament of confirmation from an Eastern Rite priest? Canon 696 of the Code of the … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Is a Latin Rite Catholic who is married to an Eastern Rite Catholic, has Eastern Rite children, attends an Eastern Rite parish, but has not been canonically transferred still obliged to follow the precepts of the Latin Rite (Holy … Continue reading
From a reader… Are SSPX Masses and Eucharist licit for Roman Catholics? This Triduum was heart-wrenching as we had the “full band” (organ, piano, guitar, drums and cymbals) playing during Holy Thursday AND Good Friday! There is no Tridentine Mass … Continue reading
Here is some interesting East and West, both-lungs news which is also seasonal. From blog Ad Orientem (excellent title): St. Patrick of Ireland and other Western saints officially added to Russian Orthodox Church calendar St. Patrick, the great enlightener of Ireland, … Continue reading
Here’s some good news. A reader alerted me to a great East and West “both lungs” development. From The Sudbury Star in Ontario: Church revives Latin mass For a group of worshippers who gather at St. Michael’s Church in Coniston, … Continue reading
UPDATE 7 March: I received this note from an Archimandrite: Dear Father, I thought you might be interested in reading what the “Rite of Orthodoxy” actually says so please see the two following links: HERE and HERE ___ Originally Published … Continue reading
More about “mutual enrichment” comes from Catholic World Report. First there was a piece Fr. Peter Stravinskas, who made suggestions about how the older, traditional form of Mass should be altered. HERE I think he was wrong in the very … Continue reading
I am watching a live stream on Russian TV of the Christmas Divine Liturgy. The feed started in the Moscow Cathedral and then cut to Vladimir Putin’s church, where he seemed to be following the prayers attentively. Then it returned … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Why MUST one be in communion with Rome? The Eastern Church has celebrated the sacraments without communion with Rome for 1000 years, but still they have wonderworking Saints. GUEST “ASK FATHER” ANSWER from a priest who participates here: Why … Continue reading
This was sent by a priest friend. “OUCH!” doesn’t quite capture my reaction. Let me preface your viewing by saying that the older, traditional form of the Roman Rite is not susceptible to this sort of madness. BTW… the real … Continue reading
I very much enjoy most of the voice mail I receive through my US and UK phone numbers and directly through Skype. First, to the lady in Cleveland who wants me to write something that she can “un-apologetically rip off” for … Continue reading