Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: It amazes me that Cardinal Sarah hasn’ ;t been exiled to some missionary Episcopal assignment in Timbuktoo Africa where he doesn̵ 7;t have to be heard by anyone.
- Bob B.: Reminds me of a couple of years ago. The Jesuit priest saying Mass, after sprinkling Holy Water on all those attending, decided to have a water fight on the altar with the deacon, who...
- ServusChristi: With regards to PF, we can talk about how liturgical ly progressiv e he is with regards to his animosity towards the TLM, his ‘Tan go Mass’ ;, his replacemen t of Cardi...
- Prayerful: I haven̵ 7;t gone to an NOM in a long, long time except for funerals and the like, but even if I did, I wouldnR 17;t learn so much about the orations as I do from here. Thank you...
- Mike: There is absolutely nothing more important to the well-being of the Catholic Faith than a proper understand ing of, and reverence for, the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and the Real Presence of...
- adriennep: There is a group called Pietra Fitness that does have excellent Catholic/C hristian yoga style exercise DVDs. If no one tells you a particular upper back stretch is called the Cobra, and...
- Seppe: Dominican Father Ezra Sullivan wrote an excellent and very thorough five-part series on problemati c issues associated with the philosophy and practice of yoga and eastern meditation for...
- tianzhujiao: Beautiful indeed!!! I think the article I found is about this statue: http://www .carmelite monastery. org/clergy .php
- JustaSinner: Now THAT’ ;S a CARDINAL! Not like that wimp in Chicago defending the indefensib le Senator DICK DurbinR 30;
- Michael Haz: What a great idea! Congratula tions, Justin. My wife, a retired public high school teacher (44 years on the job) loves this device, but adds a note of caution: Someone inside the...
- scotus: “Many theologian s persist in mocking or snubbing the term ‘transubst antiation’ despite the constant references of the Magisteriu m (…)” Unfortunat ely, too true. There is a book called...
- Anne C.: Paul of St. Paul ~ I followed the link given by another reader to Catholic Answers, but it was difficult to find the explanatio n. I finally found the most comprehens ive explanatio n...
- semperficatholic: It is a great invention and I hate to be skeptical, the kid is pretty bright, but what would stop someone from shooting the window out, stick their gun through the broken glass...
- tamranthor: Can I have Justin come and defend my son’ s school? Please? ;)
- robtbrown: frjim4321 says: Infallibil ity from the chair was not asserted with regard to this matter. 211; It has language like Ineffabili s Deus and Munificent issimus Deus, both of which are...
- NBW: Fr. Rutler is extremely intelligen t and witty. I love his sense of humor. Those that lack true intellect like Fr.Spadaro , would not in a million years, be able to write or speak like Fr....
- frjim4321: [That’s an old chestnut. You know very well what the reasons are. You just don’t want to accept the Church officially defined teaching, which is also infallible .] I know the reasons, as...
- SKAY: Thank you Father.
- Ave Maria: The attacks on the Real Presence has been going on for decades. The liturgical abuses contribute to the lessening of belief. And “dea cons’ ; who are also professors such as...
- Aquinas Gal: When I was in third or fourth grade at a Catholic school, a priest came in to talk about the Mass. I still vividly recall how we walked up and down the aisles showing us the chali...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: How do **bishops* * do this and remain in Communion with the rest of the Church? Where is the Barque to strengthen the brethren?
- Sawyer: @LeeGilber t, I saw Anthony Ruff’ ;s curt response to you at praytellbl og. He completely ignored your statements and question about the decline in belief about the Real Presence. He...
- Mike: Once one accepts that after Vatican 2 Jesuitism became Teilhardia n rather than Catholic, all this makes sense, insofar as it can.
- LeeGilbert: In response to SawyerR 17;s note that praytell was addressing Cdl Sarah̵ 7;s preface, I made the following comment there and hope that others will engage them as well. Well,...
- robtbrown: A distinctio n must be made between Hatha yoga, primarily a group of stretching and breathing exercise, and Mantra yoga, a method of meditation . A mantra is one word, often of one...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday of Lent (NO): Having a really good look
- Wisconsin High School student invents classroom door stop
- LENTCAzT 2018 10 – Ember Friday in the 1st Week of Lent: You cannot save yourself for the world
- Card. Sarah: return to Communion directly on the tongue while kneeling
- JUST TOO COOL: Recently received missal stand and statue of Our Lady
- Wherein Rutler thrashes @AntonioSpadaro
- BRAZIL: Did these bishops allow women to concelebrate Mass?
- Promoted by @JamesMartinSJ – Jesuits have yoga in church sanctuary at a school
- LENTCAzT 2018 09 – Thursday in the 1st Week of Lent: The inexhaustible virtue of the Word
- Fr. Murray on “lived experience”, “accompaniment”, “conscience”
- More news from the New catholic Red Guard
- Making the Church appealing. What “sells”?
- LENTCAzT 2018 08 – Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Never ending combat
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Category Archives: Both Lungs
And so we begin again a series of daily 5 minute podcasts for Lent. They are intended to give you a small boost every day, a little encouragement in your own use of this holy season.
I provide these especially in gratitude to … Continue reading
From a reader…
I attend a NO parish and am considering moving to a Ukrainian Catholic Parish for a variety of reasons but mainly because I am attracted to the Divine Liturgy and the beautiful traditions they have held onto…not to … Continue reading
From a reader…
Is it licit for a child who has received the sacraments of baptism and first communion in the Western Rite to receive the sacrament of confirmation from an Eastern Rite priest?
Canon 696 of the Code of the Canons of the … Continue reading
From a reader…
Is a Latin Rite Catholic who is married to an Eastern Rite Catholic, has Eastern Rite children, attends an Eastern Rite parish, but has not been canonically transferred still obliged to follow the precepts of the Latin Rite (Holy Days of … Continue reading
From a reader…
Are SSPX Masses and Eucharist licit for Roman Catholics? This Triduum was heart-wrenching as we had the “full band” (organ, piano, guitar, drums and cymbals) playing during Holy Thursday AND Good Friday!
There is no Tridentine Mass celebrated in … Continue reading
Here is some interesting East and West, both-lungs news which is also seasonal.
From blog Ad Orientem (excellent title):
St. Patrick of Ireland and other Western saints officially added to Russian Orthodox Church calendar
St. Patrick, the great enlightener of Ireland, [The Enlightener… great … Continue reading
Here’s some good news. A reader alerted me to a great East and West “both lungs” development.
From The Sudbury Star in Ontario:
Church revives Latin mass
For a group of worshippers who gather at St. Michael’s Church in Coniston, moving forward also … Continue reading
UPDATE 7 March:
I received this note from an Archimandrite:
Dear Father, I thought you might be interested in reading what the “Rite of Orthodoxy” actually says so please see the two following
links: HERE and HERE
___ Originally Published on: Mar 6, 2017
For the … Continue reading
More about “mutual enrichment” comes from Catholic World Report.
First there was a piece Fr. Peter Stravinskas, who made suggestions about how the older, traditional form of Mass should be altered. HERE I think he was wrong in the very notion … Continue reading
I am watching a live stream on Russian TV of the Christmas Divine Liturgy. The feed started in the Moscow Cathedral and then cut to Vladimir Putin’s church, where he seemed to be following the prayers attentively. Then it returned … Continue reading
From a reader…
Why MUST one be in communion with Rome? The Eastern Church has celebrated the sacraments without communion with Rome for 1000 years, but still they have wonderworking Saints.
GUEST “ASK FATHER” ANSWER from a priest who participates here:
Why MUST one be in … Continue reading
This was sent by a priest friend.
“OUCH!” doesn’t quite capture my reaction.
Let me preface your viewing by saying that the older, traditional form of the Roman Rite is not susceptible to this sort of madness.
BTW… the real … Continue reading
I very much enjoy most of the voice mail I receive through my US and UK phone numbers and directly through Skype.
First, to the lady in Cleveland who wants me to write something that she can “un-apologetically rip off” for a … Continue reading
ASK FATHER: If Orthodox schismatics can receive Communion, why not divorced and remarried (adulterers)?
From a reader…
“Amoris Latitia” contains the footnote  stating those living in
irregular unions can be admitted to holy communion in some
circumstances; the idea being that they may be in the state of grace, despite how (objectively) they are living in a … Continue reading
From a reader…
My question comes from what my professor said in class and it doesn’t seem correct.
In class, we were told that if a Catholic was in Russia [and there being no Catholic Church; either Latin or Eastern] that the … Continue reading
From a reader…
I am an Orthodox Christian. I believe that the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church are both Apostolic Churches, albeit, not in full communion. I converted to EO from Calvinism after being raised Pentecostal. I don’t … Continue reading
I saw this at Voice of the Family. You can find it other places too.
The entire Synod of Bishops (and the fancy people running it) received a marvelously cold slap in the face with the wet towel of real “reality” … Continue reading
From a reader…
My husband and I could potentially have our three children (ages 5, 2, and infant) receive their remaining Sacraments of Initiation while on an extended visit with family in a different state. Though Latin Rite, we attended an … Continue reading
From a reader…
I have two Questions concerning the liturgical role of instituted acolytes in the Eastern Rites:
1) May a man who has been instituted as an acolyte according to the ordinary form of the Roman Rite vest and act as a subdeacon … Continue reading