Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): The penitentia l rite is one of my favorite parts of the traditiona l Mass. It is one of the things I really like about low Mass. The penitentia l rite is one of my least...
- Dan: The devil stands in front of hell with a big sign that say “all are welcome here!” It is more loving to welcome someone to hell or bring them to safety?
- The Cobbler: Hang on. Patriarchy ? Does that include husbands and fathers — you know, the actual meaning of the term? Also, I will here note that the event is scheduled for 7 PM through 10...
- acardnal: robtbrown, I always appreciate your responses.
- Elizabeth D: I did not read all the other comments, this subject matter causes me too much anxiety and I should generally not discuss it here.
- Kenneth Wolfe: September 26 is a third class feast on the 1962 calendar, the feast of St. Isaac Jogues and Companions in the U.S., and Saints Cyprian and Justina universall y (commemora ted in the...
- Kathleen10: I doubt the Synod organizers think young people want or need the changes they inflict. They are following the plan they have had roiling around in their heads for quite some time now....
- un-ionized: Elizabeth, you’ re allowed to use your brain. I have been through a lot of trials about Mary even though she was the one who brought me into the Church and I certainly wouldn&...
- crjs1: luciavento I think it highly dependant on location. In Scotland where I am my experience is similar to yours in that the most liberal parishes have by far the largest congregati ons (on...
- mwa: There is a passage in JudithR 17;s Marriage (by Bryan Houghton) which lays out very nicely this 2way nature of tradition. It is spoken by an old man who has just come to believe the truth...
- The Masked Chicken: Dear Elizabeth D, I imagine that many young women would have the same quandaries you had in understand ing why Mary’s virginity is something special, given how society underst...
- Imrahil: Dear SpesUnica, I would agree to an edit of “suspended ” I didn’ ;t really claim more than that here, so: accepted. Please don’ t mind my observatio n that the “...
- Thorfinn: The FSSPX has 65 new seminarian s vs. 637 current priests. The FSSP has 39 new seminarian s vs. 287 current priests. The ICRSS has 22 new seminarian s vs. 114 current priests. (“...
- JohnE: Poor kid. The difficulty for him ever becoming a Supreme Court judge just skyrockete d.
- SpesUnica: “sus pended for the time being,R 21; is not, at this moment in history, really different from saying “for the foreseeabl e future. 221; That isn’ t something I am...
- luciavento: I still do not see personally the TLM out pacing attendance at liberal NO Masses. The two most highly attended Masses I attended recently were at churches where the tabernacle was not...
- Imrahil: Dear SpesUnica, it falls into the area of the claims of the SSPX that the church is in such a crisis that obedience to the Chair of Peter is abrogated. You could perhaps, if you wish to be...
- Imrahil: As to the article posted by the dear ProfKwasni ewski, I am rather critical about this canonizati on myself (though I don’ t doubt St. Paul VI’s being in Heaven, now the Church...
- SpesUnica: I find myself in agreement with DiPippo (“Wh at does the Canonizati on of Paul VI Mean for the Liturgy and Liturgical Reform? 221;) [tldr; Nothing], and in disagreeme nt with...
- Uxixu: One decent feature of the 1969-1970 Pauline calendar is the idea of local feastsR 30; unfortunat ely tainted by too many other innovation s. After St. Pius V, way too many 16th and 17th...
- Spinmamma: The true losers in all of this were the two terrified children. My view of this woman is that she has serious mental health issues, inflamed by the #metoo movement. Personally I thought...
- LeeGilbert: Peter Kwasniewsk i writes, “Why is the reader so certain that Paul VI is a saint, and that praying publicly to him would not be a sin?” ; Perhaps, PK, it is because the...
- Titus: The two hats in that photo belonged to Cards. O’Boyle and Hickey. This is what I would have thought. +Baum was buried in the cathedral in Washington but wasn’ ;t the archbishop at the...
- zama202: As an attorney weighing the totality of the evidence – the spiritual and liturgical state of most (not all) NO parishes – and the spiritual and liturgical state of the SSPX...
- Geoffrey: Perhaps the questioner wishes to promote unity and reconcilia tion by incorporat ing Saint John XXIII, Saint Paul VI, or Saint John Paul II into the extraordin ary form of the Roman Rite....
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Fr. Longenecker: “ALL ARE WELCOME…TO WHAT EXACTLY?”
- #Synod2018 concerns in a couple of sharp sentences. Then Fr. Z rants.
- 15 Oct: St. Teresa, calendars and fascinating fountains! (A note to NAC seminarians and Rome denizens.)
- ASK FATHER: Celebrating Conciliar Saint Popes in the Traditional Roman Rite
- The future of the Church (hint – NOT #Synod2018)
- How the Left rolls
- #Synod2018 underway but there are no rules. Making it up as they go?
- ASK FATHER: Coalition in Support of “Ecclessia Dei” – What’s up?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Dodging Global Extinction Events
- VIDEO: Pro-abortion propaganda v. Catholics in NYC
- JUST TOO COOL: The ‘tricolours’ ensign of Le Généreux, captured by Nelson on display
- ASK FATHER: Pastor won’t allow TLM wedding in “his church”
- WDTPRS – 28th Ordinary Sunday: Fascinating Collect, seminar on grace!
- The unhinged Left now turns to satanism, witchcraft to fight Pres. Trump, Justice Kavanaugh
- SSPX Superior Fr. Pagliarani interview: “we have to have souls ready for all sorts of sacrifices”
- What to do with former-Card. McCarrick’s galero in the @WashArchdiocese Cathedral
- Something fun for Friday
- ASK FATHER: ” I feel that my Faith is just being torn apart”
- URGENT PRAYER REQUEST: Australia and removal of all abortion restrictions
- Francis accepted Card. Wuerl’s two year old resignation, wrote him a Letter
- ASK FATHER: Official Latin of Fatima Rosary Prayer
- NOTE TO READERS about email and contact
- Anniversary of John XXIII’s 1962 “Gaudet Mater Ecclesia” and how it has been misused #Synod2018 #VaticanII #podcast
- ASK FATHER: Is “Amoris laetitia” really translated “The Exuberance of Lust”?
- Certain sins bring infestation of demons: horrid #sodoclericalism “parties” close to the most important places in the Vatican
- VARIA: Concrete parish project of reparation (PDF); Fighting back in Chicago; Disasters, death and YOU!; a little Latin (AUDIO); some super Catholic trivia.
- Is watered-down faith of #Synod2018 “worth dying for when the man with the machete shows up at your door?”
- Divisions are growing
- 2nd Sunday of October: Votive Mass of the Good Thief in prisons, jails, etc.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: Both Lungs
I saw this at ChurchPop. I really like the idea.
Orthodox Priest Cleanses His City’s Downtown with Holy Water After LGBT Parade
@cityod, Twitter / Odessa Media
Talk about spiritual warfare.
An LGBT pride parade took place this last weekend in Odessa, Ukraine. LGBT … Continue reading
And so we begin again a series of daily 5 minute podcasts for Lent. They are intended to give you a small boost every day, a little encouragement in your own use of this holy season.
I provide these especially in gratitude to … Continue reading
From a reader…
I attend a NO parish and am considering moving to a Ukrainian Catholic Parish for a variety of reasons but mainly because I am attracted to the Divine Liturgy and the beautiful traditions they have held onto…not to … Continue reading
From a reader…
Is it licit for a child who has received the sacraments of baptism and first communion in the Western Rite to receive the sacrament of confirmation from an Eastern Rite priest?
Canon 696 of the Code of the Canons of the … Continue reading
From a reader…
Is a Latin Rite Catholic who is married to an Eastern Rite Catholic, has Eastern Rite children, attends an Eastern Rite parish, but has not been canonically transferred still obliged to follow the precepts of the Latin Rite (Holy Days of … Continue reading
From a reader…
Are SSPX Masses and Eucharist licit for Roman Catholics? This Triduum was heart-wrenching as we had the “full band” (organ, piano, guitar, drums and cymbals) playing during Holy Thursday AND Good Friday!
There is no Tridentine Mass celebrated in … Continue reading
Here is some interesting East and West, both-lungs news which is also seasonal.
From blog Ad Orientem (excellent title):
St. Patrick of Ireland and other Western saints officially added to Russian Orthodox Church calendar
St. Patrick, the great enlightener of Ireland, [The Enlightener… great … Continue reading
Here’s some good news. A reader alerted me to a great East and West “both lungs” development.
From The Sudbury Star in Ontario:
Church revives Latin mass
For a group of worshippers who gather at St. Michael’s Church in Coniston, moving forward also … Continue reading
UPDATE 7 March:
I received this note from an Archimandrite:
Dear Father, I thought you might be interested in reading what the “Rite of Orthodoxy” actually says so please see the two following
links: HERE and HERE
___ Originally Published on: Mar 6, 2017
For the … Continue reading
More about “mutual enrichment” comes from Catholic World Report.
First there was a piece Fr. Peter Stravinskas, who made suggestions about how the older, traditional form of Mass should be altered. HERE I think he was wrong in the very notion … Continue reading
I am watching a live stream on Russian TV of the Christmas Divine Liturgy. The feed started in the Moscow Cathedral and then cut to Vladimir Putin’s church, where he seemed to be following the prayers attentively. Then it returned … Continue reading
From a reader…
Why MUST one be in communion with Rome? The Eastern Church has celebrated the sacraments without communion with Rome for 1000 years, but still they have wonderworking Saints.
GUEST “ASK FATHER” ANSWER from a priest who participates here:
Why MUST one be in … Continue reading
This was sent by a priest friend.
“OUCH!” doesn’t quite capture my reaction.
Let me preface your viewing by saying that the older, traditional form of the Roman Rite is not susceptible to this sort of madness.
BTW… the real … Continue reading
I very much enjoy most of the voice mail I receive through my US and UK phone numbers and directly through Skype.
First, to the lady in Cleveland who wants me to write something that she can “un-apologetically rip off” for a … Continue reading