Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- youngcatholicgirl: Thank you, Father!
- Ultrarunner: The solution for both problems is a good narthex. The best ones have thick glass walls and doors and don’ t have speakers. The noise up front is a mere muffle in a good narth...
- Semper Gumby: Thank you Fr. Dufner and Fr. Z. I second William Tighe̵ 7;s recommenda tion of Fr. Lang’ ;s “Tur ning Towards the Lord.̶ 1; For other reading see Fr. Lang’ ;s...
- grumpyoldCatholic: That was beautiful. . I am sending it to all my Novus Ordo
- Red A Surcami: I don’t understand why you make the disclaimer “I’m not a traditiona list,” as if that somehow increases your credibilit y. If you have a good point to make, should it not stand on...
- Fr. Kelly: HvonBlumen thal, As I see it, a dead language is one that has no native speakers left alive. Like Manx or Galician. Such a language can only be studied from the outside as by an observ...
- byzantinesteve: I was once at a mass where several liturgical dancers came out for the psalm response. I realized this before they started and asked my wife to tell me when it was over. I leaned...
- youngcatholicgirl: I’m all for “Chu rch” (Ecclesias tical) Latin. I have heard that it’s easier, considerin g that it has closer proximity to English. To me, it just sounds...
- Justalurkingfool: Since my hearing loss, which seems irreversib le, all music sounds awful and dissonant to me, so I have to offer it up for God’ s intentions .
- Andrew: Is Shakespear e’s English being pronounced correctly in our churches these days?
- Lisieux: There are indeed different pronunciat ion systems. My parish church is Jesuit-run , and when I started attending (I converted in 1998), there were still a few elderly priests who used the...
- Bellarmino Vianney: “ 230;but if it sounds silly̷ 0;” Bring earmuffs. 3M makes a great earmuff that can drown out many sounds. [Perhaps you posted that as an amusing comme...
- Ariseyedead: Guess which feet are mine! Safe travels, Father!
- Gregg the Obscure: Given all your recent travel travails, please consider seeking intercessi on of the prophet Jonah
- cwillia1: I never watch the consecrati on. Stuck in a novus ordo desert, my eyelids substitute for the iconostas that is missing in my life.
- doublenan: Many thanks for all your podcasts, Father, especially this one. God bless you!
- APX: We are drawn into an “I-Thou” relationsh ip Just as an FYI, “Thee, Thou, and Thy” are not a more formal way of speaking to God. It’s a common misconcept ion. They’re actually the more infor...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father!
- JonPatrick: Thank you Father Z.
- JonPatrick: One of the things I like about the Byzantine Rite is the use of Ad Orientem, the priest behind the iconostasi s facing the altar, making it a holy of holies. Our Byzantine Rite liturgy...
- misternaser: Thank you for this ADVENTCAzT . My own thoughts and feelings about the OF Mass, which I’ve developed from semi-regul ar EF Mass over the past year, mirror Kwasniewsk i’s observatio ns...
- HvonBlumenthal: At stake is the ancient battle between objectivis m and subjectivi sm, absolutism and relativism , orthodoxy and modernism. Said ad orientem, the Mass shakes free of the gross error...
- HvonBlumenthal: Fr Kelly Thank you for the Bravo, which makes me embarrasse d to disagree with your statement that Latin is not a dead language. However, it is indeed a dead language, which is why...
- veritas vincit: I’m not a traditiona list. But of all the arguments traditiona lists make, ad orientem is among the strongest. As a new convert, it seemed a bit odd for the priest to say the...
- Sword40: It’s been 60 years since I took a Latin course. But I remember that my teacher said that there was “Cla ssical Latin̶ 1; and “chu rch Latin̶ 1; and we were not to...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 10: If a liturgy looks silly, you can close your eyes. But if it sounds silly…
- A priest’s thought after going ‘ad orientem’
- Priests and Latin. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- My View For Awhile: ”Festina Lente” Edition
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 09: Proper Marian Devotion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Of getting Latin wrong, corrections, and of priests and their Latin or lack thereof
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 08: Egocentrics and God’s gifts
- A conflicted Fishwrap v. Francis on homosexuals in seminary and priesthood
- On this day in 2005 …
- Help a young entrepreneur!
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 07: “If she had not given her ‘Fiat!’…”
- 7 Dec – Titanic, intriguing St Ambrose of Milan, bishop and doctor
- UPDATE on injuries and recovery with heartfelt thanks
- Solemn Requiem for @BishopMorlino in @MadisonDiocese
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 06: Our Lord will appear in His humanity so that He can be seen by the just and the wicked
- VIDEO – Funeral of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese
- Latin Mass Society of England & Wales @latinmassuk – Re-upping!
- Recent Registration
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 05: The priest, John the Baptist, points toward Jesus
- New art from Daniel MITSUI – great gift idea
- After the funeral of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese
- ASK FATHER: Can we cook with or drink Holy Water?
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 04: Your God of the Second Chance
- Sending snail-mail 2018 Christmas cards
- TAMPA: A TLM at a Jesuit school?!?
- The Exequies for @BishopMorlino in @MadisonDiocese
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 03: “take heed of the example of the prince of rebellion”
- And now a message from fictional priest Fr. Charles “Chuck” O’Malley
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 02: The time of silent apostasy
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: Both Lungs
I saw this at ChurchPop. I really like the idea.
Orthodox Priest Cleanses His City’s Downtown with Holy Water After LGBT Parade
@cityod, Twitter / Odessa Media
Talk about spiritual warfare.
An LGBT pride parade took place this last weekend in Odessa, Ukraine. LGBT … Continue reading
And so we begin again a series of daily 5 minute podcasts for Lent. They are intended to give you a small boost every day, a little encouragement in your own use of this holy season.
I provide these especially in gratitude to … Continue reading
From a reader…
I attend a NO parish and am considering moving to a Ukrainian Catholic Parish for a variety of reasons but mainly because I am attracted to the Divine Liturgy and the beautiful traditions they have held onto…not to … Continue reading
From a reader…
Is it licit for a child who has received the sacraments of baptism and first communion in the Western Rite to receive the sacrament of confirmation from an Eastern Rite priest?
Canon 696 of the Code of the Canons of the … Continue reading
From a reader…
Is a Latin Rite Catholic who is married to an Eastern Rite Catholic, has Eastern Rite children, attends an Eastern Rite parish, but has not been canonically transferred still obliged to follow the precepts of the Latin Rite (Holy Days of … Continue reading
From a reader…
Are SSPX Masses and Eucharist licit for Roman Catholics? This Triduum was heart-wrenching as we had the “full band” (organ, piano, guitar, drums and cymbals) playing during Holy Thursday AND Good Friday!
There is no Tridentine Mass celebrated in … Continue reading
Here is some interesting East and West, both-lungs news which is also seasonal.
From blog Ad Orientem (excellent title):
St. Patrick of Ireland and other Western saints officially added to Russian Orthodox Church calendar
St. Patrick, the great enlightener of Ireland, [The Enlightener… great … Continue reading
Here’s some good news. A reader alerted me to a great East and West “both lungs” development.
From The Sudbury Star in Ontario:
Church revives Latin mass
For a group of worshippers who gather at St. Michael’s Church in Coniston, moving forward also … Continue reading
UPDATE 7 March:
I received this note from an Archimandrite:
Dear Father, I thought you might be interested in reading what the “Rite of Orthodoxy” actually says so please see the two following
links: HERE and HERE
___ Originally Published on: Mar 6, 2017
For the … Continue reading
More about “mutual enrichment” comes from Catholic World Report.
First there was a piece Fr. Peter Stravinskas, who made suggestions about how the older, traditional form of Mass should be altered. HERE I think he was wrong in the very notion … Continue reading
I am watching a live stream on Russian TV of the Christmas Divine Liturgy. The feed started in the Moscow Cathedral and then cut to Vladimir Putin’s church, where he seemed to be following the prayers attentively. Then it returned … Continue reading
From a reader…
Why MUST one be in communion with Rome? The Eastern Church has celebrated the sacraments without communion with Rome for 1000 years, but still they have wonderworking Saints.
GUEST “ASK FATHER” ANSWER from a priest who participates here:
Why MUST one be in … Continue reading
This was sent by a priest friend.
“OUCH!” doesn’t quite capture my reaction.
Let me preface your viewing by saying that the older, traditional form of the Roman Rite is not susceptible to this sort of madness.
BTW… the real … Continue reading
I very much enjoy most of the voice mail I receive through my US and UK phone numbers and directly through Skype.
First, to the lady in Cleveland who wants me to write something that she can “un-apologetically rip off” for a … Continue reading