HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Beltway Catholic: Those are terrible sins that indeed cry out to heaven for vengeance. But there is more ordinary evil that we overlook. Unforgiven ess will be met with condemnati on (Mt 6:15;...
- Geoffrey: I remember Supertradm um. You are in my prayers. Memorare 8230;
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Just when I was beginning to think there might be at least ONE man-made structure in West Virginia NOT named after Robert Byrd… ;.
- veritas vincit: I’m a Northerner , but I was exposed to grits in Army chow halls when I served. They were never a big deal to learn to appreciate . They do have to not clump up. I have then...
- johnnys: @beltway catholic 8230;..now do abortion, adultery, same sex marriage, sins of the flesh̷ 0;..ya know, being that Our Lady said ‘mor e souls go to hell because of the sins of...
- Midwest St. Michael: Dearest Marie, I have been praying for you every day at work through the intercessi on of St. Peregrine. It grieves me to hear of this news. :^( I am off work tomorrow and I...
- Semper Gumby: Well done hilltop. Biblical Archaeolog y Review has a Test Kitchen (no, really), its motto: “Eat Like The Ancients.& #8221; The closest thing to grits on the BAR website seems...
- Therese: May God bless you! Remember us, pray for us, when your journey is done. We shall certainly pray for you, Marie.
- Mike: Hilltop is correct. I married a Southerner , so this did not come naturally, Fr Z. I suggest when the opportunit y presents, Shrimp and Grits. The morning hour isn’t made for such fare, in my...
- PostCatholic: SuperTradM om has a keen mind and a generous spirit. I enjoyed debating with her here and I’m sorry to hear about her predicamen t. I hope for the best possible outcome, whate...
- hilltop: Also, those grits pictured even LOOK bad. They’re too sticky, and the butter (oh the humanity!) has not melted well (is that margarine? ) and they also appear clumpy. They’re probably “...
- hilltop: Dee-ah Fotha, May ah suh-jest y’all do way with the buttah on you-ar grits? Fah too common. Ah am person-uh- lee partial to a teaspoon of pu-uh cane sugah on mah grits. And pu-haps two...
- Kathleen10: Supertradm um, I am typing this through tears, it is pretty incredible how having never met, yet we can make friends in such a situation as commenting in a combox. My heart is heavy to...
- Diane: Supertradm um my thoughts and prayers are with you in these difficult days. May you be filled with peace and know God’ s loving glance as you deal with these tough times. God Bless you...
- SuperTrad: I will definitely pray for you and for your son, Supertradm um. May God reward you and keep you close to his heart for all eternity.
- ex seaxe: Checking where grits are available in London (UK), I stumble across the comment that grits and polenta are very similar. Same material – cornmeal – but polenta is coaser...
- robtbrown: Fr Z says, Frankly, the complete Summa is only $320 . . . Do you mean Opera Omnia?
- Andreas: Dear Supertradm um; We are most grieved to learn of your failing health. But be comforted in that you are surrounded by so many here, some from so very far away, whom you have never met,...
- NBW: SuperTradm um, I am praying for you and your son. Thank you for all the wonderful things you have written. You have helped so many of us!
- gretta: Grits – mix the butter in there, make sure that there is enough salt to make it yummy, and for the love of all that is holy, do NOT put sugar on grits. ;)
- gretta: Will be praying for you. God Bless, STM.
- DavidJ: Supertradm um, You’ ll absolutely be in my prayers. Knowing you since back in the Onerock days, I’ve always appreciate d your take on things. You and your family will certai...
- brasscow: For us northerner s eating grits = being dished up humility.
- Semper Gumby: Thanks for these posts from the Conference Fr. Z. acardnal: Good point about Dr. Bergsma, which reminds me he has a book out in September on Jesus and the Dead Sea Scrolls. Here is a...
- Fr. Pius, OP: Grits and fried chicken livers. Now, that’ ;s breakfast.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Day 2 – St. Paul Center Priesthood Conference
- 17 July 1794: “Mother, permission to die?”
- URGENT ACTION ITEM: Note from long-time reader who is dying
- 16 July 1969 – #Apollo11 and Our Lady of Mt Carmel
- Day 1 – St. Paul Center Priesthood Conference
- Mark Shea is sad because seminarians are Catholic
- Amazon Prime Day Discounts
- My View For Awhile: To the East and to priests
- Good VIDEO for people who aren’t familiar with the TLM or with our traditions
- ASK FATHER: Sex before Communion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – GO TO CONFESSION! – VIDEO
- 13 July: St. Ezra (Esdras), Old Testament Prophet and some spectacular baroque musical weirdness
- SSPX video of their amazing new US church project.
- BOOK: In Praise of the Tridentine Mass and of Latin, Language of the Church
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: Too far right or too far left, we wind up in the ditch in the dark
- “Damn!”, quoth I. “That’s the spirit.” Coasties getting the job done.
- How credible is “credible” in allegations against priests?
- Tour Talk – #TDF2019 @Le_Tour Stage 6
- What the ‘c’atholic Left is up to on Twitter
- ASK FATHER: Should Catholic parents attend wedding of daughter outside the Church?
- ASK FATHER: “Funeral Liturgy Outside Mass”
- @Church_Militant on the public lynching of Fr. Eduard Perrone
- Really old frozen permafrost critters revived. What could possibly go wrong?
- Tour Talk – 2019 Tour de France
- The Church Militant and You
- William F. Buckley and Fulton Sheen on Firing Line! 1970
- BOOK: The Anti-Mary Exposed: Rescuing the Culture from Toxic Femininity
- ACTION ITEM! Help a traditional deacon get to priesthood. Watch marvelous Fulton Sheen video of 1950 Roman Holy Year
- 07/07/07 – 12th Anniversary of Summorum Pontificum – Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Category Archives: Cri de Coeur
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Dear Father, I feel [unsafe] going to Church, which I unfortunately cannot bring myself to do. I firmly believe in the Catholic Faith and all of its traditional teachings. However, going to Mass anywhere has proved … Continue reading
Card. Piacenza to priests: “Wanna be a modern priest? HEAR CONFESSIONS!” Whereupon Fr. Z really rants.
There is a good piece at La Bussola Quotidiana (in Italian) about the Sacrament of Penance. I’ll give you a sample, but I don’t have the energy to translate the whole thing. Prelude: Apparently there was recently something called “Earth … Continue reading
Benedict XVI has released a three part essay address, firstly, it seems, to the clergy of Germany. It is a scolding. However, it is also clearly for the whole watching world. The MSM will be excited about the title: The … Continue reading
I was sitting in an airport one day, waiting for a flight. A young family approached the gate area. A youngster, seeing an empty place, jumped into it. It was next to me. Mom pulled the kid by an arm … Continue reading
Open Letter From Cardinals Burke and Brandmüller to Conferences of Bishops: “The plague of the homosexual agenda has been spread within the Church”
Open Letter From Cardinal Burke and Cardinal Brandmüller to Conferences of Bishops My emphases and comments: Open Letter to the Presidents of the Conferences of Bishops Dear Brothers, Presidents of the Conferences of Bishops, We turn to you with deep … Continue reading
On the brink of the commencement of the sex abuse “summit”, which is organized to speak to a dreadful problem in the Church, but is designed to avoid the root cause, I received this morning a video produced by the … Continue reading
You’ve probably heard that a book is timed to be released simultaneously in several languages at the beginning of the Roman episcopal “sex summit”. Bishops from around the world are to meet to discuss important problems that scandalize and wound … Continue reading
SOS! New Chant Collection: Prière pour temps de détresse … Prayer in time of distress, suffering, urgency… SOS Chant
I received a note from a friend, a recommendation about a sacred music “disc”. “Great”, quoth I, “Yet another recording of the Requiem Mass,” or some such. No. This is a little different. Here is a beautifully chanted cri de coeur. … Continue reading
I have now read Philip Lawler’s recent book The Smoke of Satan: How Corrupt and Cowardly Bishops Betrayed Christ, His Church, and the Faithful . . . and What Can Be Done About It. US HERE – UK HERE Here … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Father, I’ll get straight to the point: I’m having difficulty believing that the Pope is the head of the Church. I know that regarding the past heresies Popes were often negligent in carrying out their duty to oppose error, … Continue reading
“I had the image of a bishop sinking head downward…. sinking… sinking… clawing at the heavy miter on his head”
Even as I stared at the title of the piece I am about to recommend, this passage from Luke about millstones came to mind. I had the image of a bishop sinking head downward…. sinking… sinking… clawing at the … Continue reading
What I am about to post, read carefully. Over the last few months I have been contacted by diocesan priests (and a religious) who were being sent by their bishops (superior) to be “evaluated” at one of these psych clinics … Continue reading
I’ll bet that there were some really good sermons during your Masses of Sunday Obligation. Was there a good point or two you could share? For my part, I had no Sunday Mass assigned today! I was on my own. Relaxed … Continue reading
Many bishops in these USA and in Canada are making statements in wake of L’Affaire McCarrick and the PA Grand Jury Report. Some are better than others. The Bishop of Madison, Most Rev. Robert C. Morlino (aka The Extraordinary Ordinary) … Continue reading