Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- HvonBlumenthal: Nobody reads Revelation these days but it is clear that in the Heavenly liturgy depicted there the 24 Elders do not just kneel in the presence of the Lamb, they prostrate themsel...
- HvonBlumenthal: Your four categories cover it brilliantl y. Even Anglicans receive their « host » « meekly kneeling on their knees » according to the Book of Commin Prayer. And though they genera...
- APX: acardinal, I can’ t speak for the US, but at my former high school (and other high schools I’m told from my mom when she goes in to sub teach at them) it has become a joke. Home...
- Suburbanbanshee: Fr. Jim — As a woman, I find your remarks insulting. Why should women abandon their unique roles and importance , in favor of becoming exactly like men? Do you think that we...
- JabbaPapa: Well said robtbrown — it might be worth adding that the Eastern spiritual teachers themselves also denounce this westernise d “spi ritual yoga” ; as being a perver...
- JustaSinner: As a former Marine Drill Instructor once said at OCS, “Thi s s@$t is getting real!̶ 1; With that in mind, I know Jesus has asked me to turn the other cheek to my enemies, but...
- JabbaPapa: frjim4321 : I know the reasons, as stated, and I don’t find them convincing . Infallibil ity from the chair was not asserted with regard to this matter. In FACT Pope Saint John Paul II...
- JabbaPapa: GregB : You need a mystical understand ing of the Mystical Body of Christ in order to understand the male priesthood Several explanatio ns exist as to why the priesthood is male, each...
- acardnal: Whatever happened to industrial arts classes? To trade and vocational education? You know, those people that keep you cool in the summer and warm in the winter? The people that maint...
- robtbrown: Seppe says: Dominican Father Ezra Sullivan wrote an excellent and very thorough five-part series on problemati c issues associated with the philosophy and practice of yoga and eastern...
- Emilio III: This was originally posted to YouTube by Fr. Antonio Maria Domenech, a “cou ntry town parish priestR 21; @sotanarur al from Santa Maria del Campo Rus in Spain. The title was...
- jaykay: Bob B.: “The Jesuit priest saying Mass, after sprinkling Holy Water on all those attending, decided to have a water fight on the altar with the deacon, who “returned fire”. It proba...
- Charles E Flynn: A Catholic priest is a living icon of Jesus Christ. A woman cannot be a living icon of a man, any more than a man can give birth.
- jaykay: Papa subito.
- jaykay: The missal-sta nd is beautifull y crafted. I would never have thought about the swivel – what a great idea! Just as an afterthoug ht, Father, will you be blessing the statue? Does one...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: It amazes me that Cardinal Sarah hasn’ ;t been exiled to some missionary Episcopal assignment in Timbuktoo Africa where he doesn̵ 7;t have to be heard by anyone.
- Bob B.: Reminds me of a couple of years ago. The Jesuit priest saying Mass, after sprinkling Holy Water on all those attending, decided to have a water fight on the altar with the deacon, who...
- ServusChristi: With regards to PF, we can talk about how liturgical ly progressiv e he is with regards to his animosity towards the TLM, his ‘Tan go Mass’ ;, his replacemen t of Cardi...
- Prayerful: I haven̵ 7;t gone to an NOM in a long, long time except for funerals and the like, but even if I did, I wouldnR 17;t learn so much about the orations as I do from here. Thank you...
- Mike: There is absolutely nothing more important to the well-being of the Catholic Faith than a proper understand ing of, and reverence for, the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and the Real Presence of...
- adriennep: There is a group called Pietra Fitness that does have excellent Catholic/C hristian yoga style exercise DVDs. If no one tells you a particular upper back stretch is called the Cobra, and...
- Seppe: Dominican Father Ezra Sullivan wrote an excellent and very thorough five-part series on problemati c issues associated with the philosophy and practice of yoga and eastern meditation for...
- tianzhujiao: Beautiful indeed!!! I think the article I found is about this statue: http://www .carmelite monastery. org/clergy .php
- JustaSinner: Now THAT’ ;S a CARDINAL! Not like that wimp in Chicago defending the indefensib le Senator DICK DurbinR 30;
- Michael Haz: What a great idea! Congratula tions, Justin. My wife, a retired public high school teacher (44 years on the job) loves this device, but adds a note of caution: Someone inside the...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- LENTCAzT 2018 11 – Ember Saturday in the 1st Week of Lent: Man’s first full day was a day of rest
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday of Lent (NO): Having a really good look
- Wisconsin High School student invents classroom door stop
- LENTCAzT 2018 10 – Ember Friday in the 1st Week of Lent: You cannot save yourself for the world
- Card. Sarah: return to Communion directly on the tongue while kneeling
- JUST TOO COOL: Recently received missal stand and statue of Our Lady
- Wherein Rutler thrashes @AntonioSpadaro
- BRAZIL: Did these bishops allow women to concelebrate Mass?
- Promoted by @JamesMartinSJ – Jesuits have yoga in church sanctuary at a school
- LENTCAzT 2018 09 – Thursday in the 1st Week of Lent: The inexhaustible virtue of the Word
- Fr. Murray on “lived experience”, “accompaniment”, “conscience”
- More news from the New catholic Red Guard
- Making the Church appealing. What “sells”?
- LENTCAzT 2018 08 – Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Never ending combat
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Category Archives: Four Last Things
On this beautiful Feast of our Guardian angels, we must remember the invisible role they inevitably play in our lives. On a plane of being that we humans cannot sense, the holy angels thwart the attacks of hellish fallen angels, bent on our … Continue reading
UPDATE 25 SEPTEMBER:
A couple requests came in. Are there priests out there who can do this?
Also, in Rome recently I met one of the priests who contacted me about this. Nifty.
People sometimes write to me to request Gregorian Masses (i.e., the same Mass … Continue reading
Since the Lord Ascended to the right hand of the Father, Christians have felt themselves to be in the “end times”. Indeed, we are in the “end times”. The Lord achieved His victory. Now it is all over but for … Continue reading
Go buy some grapes and take them to the priest for the Feast of the Transfiguration (Sunday, 6 August), with a page from the Rituale Romanum (go to p. 345 – Benedictio uvarum), or cut and paste the English text … Continue reading
Benedict XVI sent a message for the funeral of the late Joachim Card. Meisner, emeritus of Cologne. For the German, HERE
His words include:
Was mich an den letzten Gesprächen mit dem heimgegangenen Kardinal besonders beeindruckt hat, war die gelöste Heiterkeit, die … Continue reading
Today is the 100th anniversary of Our Lady’s appearance at Fatima to the three seers on 13 July.
The father of Jacinta and Francisco said that when the 13 July apparition began, a small grayish cloud hovered over the holm oak … Continue reading
ASK FATHER: Corruption, sodomy, drugs, infidelity… How can we trust anything from Rome? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
Feedback from a reader…
In a recent post, you respond to a question about the distress that is caused by the latest homosexual scandal in the Vatican. You pointed out that the enemy will attack, “in particular,” those who have influence over others. Among … Continue reading
It seems there is a video going about of Card. Woelki reading from the will of the late Joachim Card. Meisner (most recently known as one of the Four Cardinals of the Five Dubia).
Like everyone, I do not know the hour … Continue reading
So that you don’t miss it, I provide below an explanation of the Holy Father’s oft cited and puzzling maxim “time is greater than space”. Don’t miss it.
A young writer at the increasingly helpful – and descriptive – Crisis in a new … Continue reading
UPDATE 19 June – PM:
Just to let you know and to renew my request for prayers, my fried Fr. James Stromberg at last passed away. With him at the time were some close friends and the Sisters. They sang the … Continue reading
From a reader…
Is it true that we will all die? If Jesus comes at this very moment many people will be alive. Do we die before going to hell or Heaven?
First, we don’t know exactly what is going to happen, … Continue reading
I received notice that a 1 year anniversary Requiem Mass will be celebrated on Tuesday, 28 March in New York City at the Shrine of Our Lady of Mount Carmel for the late Fr. John E. Halborg.
I met Fr. Halborg only a … Continue reading
Today is the 1st anniversary of the death of Rita Antoinette Rizzo, better known as Mother Angelica, the foundress of EWTN and many other initiatives.
May those who carry on with her work not disgrace her memory.
Here is one of the defining … Continue reading
From a reader…
Is it appropriate to have Masses said for deceased non-Catholics? What about Gregorian Masses?
You are in our prayers! Thank you for your time and your ministry.
It is praiseworthy and a work of mercy to pray for the dead. … Continue reading
I received some sad news today. The woman who made the most beautiful rosaries I have ever seen or used died, under tough circumstances.
I spoke with her daughter tonight and told her that I would ask for prayers. I ask … Continue reading
This blog is NOT a Safe Space for you! This post, especially, is NOT a Safe Space for you.
You know which sites you can go to to be affirmed and unchallenged by anything truly Catholic. Please go to one … Continue reading
It seems somehow fitting to post about indulgences on 31 October.
From the Handbook of Indulgences
Visiting a Church or an Oratory on All Souls Day
A plenary (“full”) indulgence, which is applicable only to the souls in Purgatory is granted to the Christian … Continue reading