Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- TonyO: Pretty nice invention. Good job, Justin. Of course, it does have limitation s. First, it depends on making base plates that match with the specific door jamb and wall location, so it cannot...
- Grateful to be Catholic: These poor deluded women are the victims of clericalis m. They think it’s about power and so do the men who enable them. As someone else says, sad.
- clare joseph: Thank you, Emilio III, for clarifying all this so well. It’s a joy to see so many young people dancing so beautifull y in honor of Our Lady.
- HvonBlumenthal: Nobody reads Revelation these days but it is clear that in the Heavenly liturgy depicted there the 24 Elders do not just kneel in the presence of the Lamb, they prostrate themsel...
- HvonBlumenthal: Your four categories cover it brilliantl y. Even Anglicans receive their « host » « meekly kneeling on their knees » according to the Book of Commin Prayer. And though they genera...
- APX: acardinal, I can’ t speak for the US, but at my former high school (and other high schools I’m told from my mom when she goes in to sub teach at them) it has become a joke. Home...
- Suburbanbanshee: Fr. Jim — As a woman, I find your remarks insulting. Why should women abandon their unique roles and importance , in favor of becoming exactly like men? Do you think that we...
- JabbaPapa: Well said robtbrown — it might be worth adding that the Eastern spiritual teachers themselves also denounce this westernise d “spi ritual yoga” ; as being a perver...
- JustaSinner: As a former Marine Drill Instructor once said at OCS, “Thi s s@$t is getting real!̶ 1; With that in mind, I know Jesus has asked me to turn the other cheek to my enemies, but...
- JabbaPapa: frjim4321 : I know the reasons, as stated, and I don’t find them convincing . Infallibil ity from the chair was not asserted with regard to this matter. In FACT Pope Saint John Paul II...
- JabbaPapa: GregB : You need a mystical understand ing of the Mystical Body of Christ in order to understand the male priesthood Several explanatio ns exist as to why the priesthood is male, each...
- acardnal: Whatever happened to industrial arts classes? To trade and vocational education? You know, those people that keep you cool in the summer and warm in the winter? The people that maint...
- robtbrown: Seppe says: Dominican Father Ezra Sullivan wrote an excellent and very thorough five-part series on problemati c issues associated with the philosophy and practice of yoga and eastern...
- Emilio III: This was originally posted to YouTube by Fr. Antonio Maria Domenech, a “cou ntry town parish priestR 21; @sotanarur al from Santa Maria del Campo Rus in Spain. The title was...
- jaykay: Bob B.: “The Jesuit priest saying Mass, after sprinkling Holy Water on all those attending, decided to have a water fight on the altar with the deacon, who “returned fire”. It proba...
- Charles E Flynn: A Catholic priest is a living icon of Jesus Christ. A woman cannot be a living icon of a man, any more than a man can give birth.
- jaykay: Papa subito.
- jaykay: The missal-sta nd is beautifull y crafted. I would never have thought about the swivel – what a great idea! Just as an afterthoug ht, Father, will you be blessing the statue? Does one...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: It amazes me that Cardinal Sarah hasn’ ;t been exiled to some missionary Episcopal assignment in Timbuktoo Africa where he doesn̵ 7;t have to be heard by anyone.
- Bob B.: Reminds me of a couple of years ago. The Jesuit priest saying Mass, after sprinkling Holy Water on all those attending, decided to have a water fight on the altar with the deacon, who...
- ServusChristi: With regards to PF, we can talk about how liturgical ly progressiv e he is with regards to his animosity towards the TLM, his ‘Tan go Mass’ ;, his replacemen t of Cardi...
- Prayerful: I haven̵ 7;t gone to an NOM in a long, long time except for funerals and the like, but even if I did, I wouldnR 17;t learn so much about the orations as I do from here. Thank you...
- Mike: There is absolutely nothing more important to the well-being of the Catholic Faith than a proper understand ing of, and reverence for, the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and the Real Presence of...
- adriennep: There is a group called Pietra Fitness that does have excellent Catholic/C hristian yoga style exercise DVDs. If no one tells you a particular upper back stretch is called the Cobra, and...
- Seppe: Dominican Father Ezra Sullivan wrote an excellent and very thorough five-part series on problemati c issues associated with the philosophy and practice of yoga and eastern meditation for...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: Priest forbids a deacon to wear a dalmatic
- LENTCAzT 2018 11 – Ember Saturday in the 1st Week of Lent: Man’s first full day was a day of rest
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday of Lent (NO): Having a really good look
- Wisconsin High School student invents classroom door stop
- LENTCAzT 2018 10 – Ember Friday in the 1st Week of Lent: You cannot save yourself for the world
- Card. Sarah: return to Communion directly on the tongue while kneeling
- JUST TOO COOL: Recently received missal stand and statue of Our Lady
- Wherein Rutler thrashes @AntonioSpadaro
- BRAZIL: Did these bishops allow women to concelebrate Mass?
- Promoted by @JamesMartinSJ – Jesuits have yoga in church sanctuary at a school
- LENTCAzT 2018 09 – Thursday in the 1st Week of Lent: The inexhaustible virtue of the Word
- Fr. Murray on “lived experience”, “accompaniment”, “conscience”
- More news from the New catholic Red Guard
- Making the Church appealing. What “sells”?
- LENTCAzT 2018 08 – Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Never ending combat
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Category Archives: Four Last Things
From a reader…
I have been unsettled by remarks of a Dr Martin Scurr (Daily Mail 27 Jan 2015) who some years ago served the Jesuits at their HQ in Mayfair and religious attached to Westminster Cathedral. “I always think that … Continue reading
From American Thinker:
Dogs and gays: Pope Francis and Catholic Democrats
By Robert Klein Engler
Has anyone besides a few pundits found it odd that many Catholic Democrats have spent more time worrying about dogs going to heaven than they have about whether … Continue reading
People have been asking me: Are there animal in heaven? Will I have my pets in heaven?
This has probably been stirred up by something Pope Francis reputedly said recently in the press (as it turns out, it was false reporting, but … Continue reading
It is All Souls and we are getting ready for a Pontifical Requiem at the Throne, tonight at 7 pm at the Bishop O’Connor Center in Madison, WI.
His Excellency Most Rev. Robert C. Morlino will be the celebrant.
The music will … Continue reading
It is hard to imagine that we live in a world in which this is possible, but we do.
I think everyone should take a time each day not only to make a good examination of conscience, but also to contemplate … Continue reading
From a reader…
When my Dad died in August we had his funeral mass. He requested cremation and he was cremated following the funeral mass.
With the process of interment in a national cemetery (he had served in the Air Force), we … Continue reading
From a reader…
What is the best way to ensure that part of whatever funds are left in my estate are used to have masses offered for the repose of my soul?
I think we all wonder about this. I sure do. … Continue reading
It has been sometime since I posted anything from Savage Chickens. (I wonder where the Masked Chicken” got himself off to, anyway. You don’t suppose The Colonel finally caught up to him, do you?)
New Hell! How jolly.
While we, as a … Continue reading
The often amusing Eye of the Tiber had this.
CINCINNATI, OH- A Solemn High Requiem Mass was held Thursday at St. Martura Church in downtown Cincinnati for the Spirit of Vatican II, aged 52. After suffering a progressively debilitating illness for … Continue reading
Friends, examine your consciences daily and go to confession regularly.
We are going to get God’s justice whether we want it or not. But, while we still live, His mercy is for the asking.
You are going along… doodee doodee dooo… and … Continue reading
I want you to stop for a moment and do something: Right now… try to imagine what goes through the mind of a soul during her first 15 seconds in Hell. The realization of where you are…
“This can’t … be … Continue reading
The black boxes from Malaysian Airlines 17 might indicate that the pilots attempted a vain evasion. I doubt it. I suspect that exploding death was sudden. Who knows who may have survived the initial blast and remained conscious for some … Continue reading
Reverend gentlemen, the murder of one priest and the assault on another in Phoenix compels me to remind you to…
GO TO CONFESSION.
Our schedules are busy. Sometimes we have to drive even farther than lay people. But go to confession. Take … Continue reading
OLDIE PODCAzT: Pentecost Tuesday St John Paul on the unforgivable sin; O.L. of Fatima and the vision of Hell
Here is an item from the archives. It is dated, but enjoy!
As I wrote then…
Today is Tuesday in the Octave of Pentecost, or at least it ought to be in in the Novus Ordo as it is in the older, … Continue reading
Today the Pope spoke during his non-Magisterial, off-the-cuff fervorino at morning Mass in strong terms not just about generic, impersonal “evil”, but about the Enemy of your soul, the Devil.
“We too are tempted, we too are the target of … Continue reading
A tip of the biretta to Pewsitter for this piece from the Worcester Telegram:
Bishop McManus worried that some omit funeral Masses
WORCESTER — Bishop Robert J. McManus is expressing concern that Central Massachusetts Roman Catholics are not scheduling funeral Masses for … Continue reading
Here is an interesting video from Michael Voris.
I suggest listening to the end.
This concerns whether many or few or none go to Hell.
I, and others, addressed this not long ago and a kerfuffle arose. HERE
The greatest accomplishment of the … Continue reading
From a reader:
In your opinion, what is the most efficacious means of praying a loved one into Heaven? The person is yet living, but not a family member, and a non-practicing Catholic.
First, it shouldn’t have to be said, but I’ll … Continue reading
In his off the cuff address in the cathedral of Rio during WYD on Thursday, 25 July, the Pope told young people to make some chaos back home (“quiero lío en las diócesis”), to pay attention to the elderly, and … Continue reading
A while ago I had a post and poll about government surveillance of your communications and other doings. HERE
I saw an article in First Things (in these USA to subscribe click HERE) which touches on Christian issues and surveillance. Read the … Continue reading