Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Gregg the Obscure: Should i get to Chicago again, Mr. Beef is high on my list both for what they serve and for how they serve it. The “sou l food” ; restaurant near work has little signs...
- Gab: Oh and there̵ 7;s this … A February 2012 Slate.com article asked: “How many kids are sexually abused by their teachers?& #8221; The alarming answer: “Pro bably million...
- Gab: And now a word from a fabulous Australian , Dr Philippa Martyr. Brilliant essay on the subject: https://ww w.catholic weekly.com .au/why-ar e-we-turni ng-a-blind -eye/
- byzantinesteve: There were probably way in excess of 24-41k sexual assault victims in public schools over the last 70 years. Maybe someone can provide hard statistics . I don’ t have time to...
- JonPatrick: A great way to get unplugged in Chicago is to ride the Lake St. “L 8221; out to Garfield Park and visit the Conservato ry there – an oasis of flowers and lily ponds smack...
- Ultrarunner: Let’ s extrapolat e the results of the PA grand jury report. 6 dioceses and 301 abuser priests per 1.7 million Catholics with over 1000 victims of sexual abuse. The are some 70...
- Fr. Reader: The worst thing is that they do not even look modern, or classic, or fashionabl e, or elegant, or nothing. Design wise they lack personalit y. They are insipid, nauseating . Poor and...
- Semper Gumby: Fr. Z wrote: “The y take the whole thing and submerge it with great hand-filli ng stainless steel tongs in the roiling vat of juice in which the thin slices and bun were morphed...
- Supertradmum: Excuse typos above, and this entire to-do about the vestments reminds me of The Devil Wears Prada, for some reason. The vestment industry has become too haute couture, looking for...
- Supertradmum: We cannot lose out sense of humour. In fact, humour is a sign of a healthy mind and a healthy blog, even if it is dark humour. For those above who take umbrage at this post, I say,...
- Supertradmum: Love the sign. I suggest one for your site. However, the sandwich? Sigh. Having been vegan except for the occasional fish on my health-die t, I do not think I shall be visiting Mr....
- monstrance: Considerin g the unplugged ClericR 30;. What do you surmise the jug under the window is for ?
- Kathleen10: I think about you and other faithful priests Fr. Z. Please God, to help you through this. The rest of us can walk away, take days at a time if we must, but that is pretty impossible for...
- VP: When did this fellow Cupich become a bishop?
- Spinmamma: Dear Father, I had the same reaction to the Holy FatherR 17;s words and am hoping there may be a fine point to be made about the translatio n. At least one media outlet has seized...
- aliceinstpaul: Hrwriggles , Prayers for the repose of the soul of your father and for your family. I’m so sorry for your lost.
- frjim4321: I kind of feel sorry for anyone making a statement, because it’s almost impossible to even say that since 2002 the safest place for children and youth has been the Catholic Church;...
- Diane: Wow… .that made my night! Thank you Thank you!!!
- emily13: Fr. Z – I also wanted to bring your attention to a beautiful apostolate at the Pittsburgh Oratory. The Daughters of St. Philip Neri were started in response to the document “Adorat...
- un-ionized: Capchoirgi rl, see the 20th week OT bulletin at the TLM parish. Scathing. But offers correct response.
- Muzhik: Joy; One option is to arrange for a mission priest to pray for your intention. I learned about this when I was investigat ing having “30 Days of Gregorian MassesR 21; said for my...
- robtbrown: Those three vestments make me hungry. They remind me of Pineapple- Lime-Raspb erry Rainbow Sherbet. Dessert? Yes. Worship? No.
- Sonshine135: From an ex-GI̵ 7;s point of view, your Priests are the officers of the Infantry and the regular parishione rs are the foot soldiers. What every good Infantry needs is an Artill...
- Joy65: Fr_Andrew , THANK YOU I understand what you are saying about Masses being offered. In our Parish there are many weekday Masses that have NO intentions listed for them. Not all Paris...
- Semper Gumby: VonOrigen: You raised numerous topics rapidly, so with our host’ ;s permission a close look at your comment. “…bu dgets? You may have heard that Iraq-istan ate up, and...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Collusion of the press against the Church
- Food for my cerebellum. Food for my reptilian brain stem. And my observation about coverage of The Present Crisis.
- ASK FATHER: How to support priests? Prepare for underground Church?
- Ex ore infantium perfecisti laudem! 3 year old “priest’s” theological observation and a Salve
- Letters of Bishops compared. Quite a contrast.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ACTION ITEM! Help the nuns complete their beautiful monastic church!
- URGENT: HIDEOUS about SYMBOL on pastel vestments for World Meeting of Families in Dublin @WMOF2018
- Letter of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese concerning the present crisis
- WDTPRS – 20th Ordinary Sunday: invisible love, pulsing with longing
- Terrific movement of prayer for priests: Seven Sisters Apostolate
- Archbp. Cordileone’s Letter to the people of @ArchdioceseSF Fr. Z kudos and a mini-rant.
- Wherein Fr. Z offers one of the hardest posts he has ever written – UPDATED WITH YOUR COMMENTS
- PROPOSAL to all the Bishops of these USA for your November 2018 Meeting
- Card. Burke interviewed by Raymond Arroyo. The Cardinal’s advice.
- Insightful observation about Pope Francis – UPDATES!
- ASK FATHER: Lethal force against homosexual aggression in seminary?
- Search within the text for the word “reparation”. Zero.
- ASK FATHER: Can I go to a wedding at an SSPX chapel?
- Yeahhh… this is exactly the right time to dress our clergy in pastels.
- The Rite of Degradation From The Order of Priesthood. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Fr Z calls for solidarity
- The PA Grand Jury Report
- AN OPEN APPEAL TO THE CARDINALS OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
- ASK FATHER: Your questions weigh heavily
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- ASK FATHER: “I now have doubt about sorting the doctrinal from the papal opinion.” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- ASK FATHER: Faithful, active women religious. Where to go?
- St. Maximilian Kolbe, priest, martyr, ham radio operator, intercede for dissident ‘c’atholic media!
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Beans in a bottle, and Beans in a bubble.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: Deaconettes
From Fishwrap comes news that will have their readers weeping into their chai lattes and Cosmos.
You might recall that I have said that the deaconette study commission (which Pope Francis set up to look at historical issues) would not make a … Continue reading
My inbox is being pelted with a story that some Armenian Orthodox bishop in Tehran “ordained” a female deacon. For example HERE and HERE.
To which I respond:
First, I’m not sure that we care much about a single Armenian bishop … Continue reading
In once wonderfully Catholic Austria, the silly season is in swing. The new bishop of Innsbruck, Most Rev. Hermann Glettler, said that he supports the ordination of women to the diaconate (which is impossible) and Holy Communion for the divorce … Continue reading
From a reader…
One of our Diocesan (Salt Lake City) Priests [Msgr. M. Francis Mannion] wrote an op-ed for our local Diocese Newspaper entitled “Some Items That Caught My Attention Recently”. In this piece, (HERE) he talks about how the Eastern Rite has ordained … Continue reading
Raymond Arroyo of EWTN has a wide ranging interview with His Eminence Gerhard Ludwig Card. Müller, Prefect of the CDF.
One thing that caught my attention is his clear refutation and denial of the possibility of the ordination of deaconesses (aka … Continue reading
This day it seems that the news goes from bad to worse. You can see what results from the ambiguities of Amoris laetitia.
You have heard, I’m sure, about the quixotic attempts to pry open Holy Orders for women (an impossibility… or … Continue reading
As you may remember, some months ago Pope Francis saw to the creation of a group to study the question of female deacons (aka deaconesses, aka deaconettes). Last November, when the group met for the first time, I wrote: “Their … Continue reading
In my email a Communiqué of the Holy See Press Office
Today, November 25, 2016, the first meeting of the Study Commission on the Diaconate of Women took place. This commission was established by the Holy Father on August 2 with … Continue reading
Did you remember that the Pope formed a Committee to study the question of female deacons? Deaconettes?
Right. Not exactly on the top of the list of things to think about.
Archbishop Francisco Ladaria Ferrer, the Secretary of the Congregation of the … Continue reading
On 22 August 1764, during the pontificate of Clement XIII, at Campo de’ Fiori, the hermit Giuseppe Morelli was hanged, guilty for having “celebrated 29 Masses with consecration without being a priest and for received alms from the faithful.”
To those … Continue reading
Our old pal Phyllis Zagano has a fresh column at the Fishwrap (aka National Schismatic Reporter). How’s this for a captatio benevolentiae?
Pope Francis named just one woman from the Western Hemisphere to his commission on women deacons.
That would be me.
No, really. That’s … Continue reading