Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- LarryW2LJ: I read an article in the Wall Street Journal by C.C Pecknold, that at the time of the 2002 Dallas Conference , Pope John Paul II recommende d that the US Bishops hold a “Day of...
- G1j: The Church is in wait it out mode again. Lay low and offer no pathway to fix the issue. Only monetary contributi ons I will make going forward is with the monthly Fuel Offering envelope. All...
- Prayerful: One particular advantage of an SSPX chapel is that it will be available in a year’ ;s time or whenever a wedding might happen. A diocesan TLM is, in too many places, exists under a...
- Gregg the Obscure: Abp. Samuel Aquila has asked each priest in the Archdioces e of Denver to offer a public Mass of Reparation every month. The request came out earlier this week, so I have not yet...
- Stephanus83: In the Diocese of Richmond, our Bishop announced a Mass of Atonement for victims of abuse two days ago. The invitation doesn̵ 7;t include the word reparation , but atonement is an...
- jaykay: rhhenry: “Why is the dalmatic (I think that’s what is on the far right) in purple? Will the World Family meeting last until Advent? 221; It’s a dalmatic, Jim, but not as we...
- WVC: From the Cathedral of St. Paul’ ;s in Birmingham , AL (Bishop Baker) In response to the recent scandals, the new Saturday morning Mass will be offered for the following intentions : On...
- Semper Gumby: Thank you to Fr. Z and the other signatorie s.
- MrsMacD: Are there pointy hats to match? Humour aside, it’s disgracefu l. They’ ;re purposely making the vestments ugly to get people to associate the Mass with ugliness, to make them,...
- erick: I also hear nothing about seeing that justice be done. It’s an outrage.
- Credoh: To be clear, I don’ t mean at all to advocate maximum force, just that we were taught as teenagers, that if necessary it was morally permissibl e.
- Credoh: In the 70s when I was at school we were taught that it was permissibl e to kill in defence of life and chastity.
- Andreas: Father Z. is spot on with regard to his recommenda tion that all be trained in the fine art of self-defen se. One need only see how, for example, pilots most often respond to emergencie s...
- Imrahil: But it seems like it’s somehow written into church law that these bishops and priests have a life time gig. It doesn’t matter what a failure you are or how guilty you look. You’re there...
- CanukFrank: I would also advise taking a sanctioned and recognized Krav Maga self defence class. With the easy to learn basic techniques these swift, aggressive and emphatic strikes will leave the...
- Thomas: This just in from Rome, the penalty of degradatio n is now “ina dmissible as an attack on the inviolabil ity and dignity of the personR 21;.
- Chuck Ludd: It seems reasonable to me for bishops to call their clergy together for a day of reparation or suggestion a routine of reparation , including mortificat ion of the flesh (I know that is...
- Thomas: I work in corporate America. If you are an executive, I don’ t care how high up, and you get caught in a scandal like this, you get fired immediatel y. As in a security guard ushers...
- Michael Haz: It looks like beachwear. Cover-ups worn to and from the beach on cooler days.
- andia: I am almost crying at this. It hurts to read it, how much more so would it be to have to preform this rite. This type of fortitude is need now.
- veritas vincit: Joy65: I agree with you completely . Now is not the time to cut and run, but to join the battle, on our knees. We need to place our faith in Jesus Christ and His Church, not in weak...
- LA: More than 20 bishops in the various dioceses in the USA already have given this delegation to SSPX priests. Only one or two have caused difficulti es.
- Akita: Indeed, it sounds like you might even attend wearing bells! Promises to be jubilant, solemn and the bride won’t be letting it all hang out!
- Spade: lol, I either posted that as, or didn’ ;t notice, that Father Z had used the same French reference to a Brit admiral.
- Spade: We should have a few of these, or more than a few, done at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception upper church, broadcast live on EWTN pour encourager les autres.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: Lethal force against homosexual aggression in seminary?
- Search within the text for the word “reparation”. Zero.
- ASK FATHER: Can I go to a wedding at an SSPX chapel?
- Wherein Fr. Z offers one of the hardest posts he has ever written
- Yeahhh… this is exactly the right time to dress our clergy in pastels.
- The Rite of Degradation From The Order of Priesthood. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Fr Z calls for solidarity
- The PA Grand Jury Report
- AN OPEN APPEAL TO THE CARDINALS OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
- ASK FATHER: Your questions weigh heavily
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- ASK FATHER: “I now have doubt about sorting the doctrinal from the papal opinion.” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- ASK FATHER: Faithful, active women religious. Where to go?
- Insightful observation about Pope Francis – UPDATES!
- St. Maximilian Kolbe, priest, martyr, ham radio operator, intercede for dissident ‘c’atholic media!
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Beans in a bottle, and Beans in a bubble.
- A Tale of Two Churches
- Your Good News – Mass for Benefactors
- Non-Catholics and Catholics alike wonder about changes to CCC 2276 on death penalty
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – UPDATE: Photos of seminarians Solemn Mass
- PODCAzT 165: Liturgical battles lost and won… and lost; don Camillo (Part X)
- Super creepy poster for “gay” conference reveals agenda
- Controversy over the Holy Father’s substitution of CCC 2267 continues.
- Omnium Gatherum: Francis falling, beans in flasks, Fishwrap’s Defarge, sexual abuse by nuns
- ASK FATHER: Invalidly married niece coming to visit with husband. What to do?
- ASK FATHER: Our Lady, Queen of the Clergy – “Young priests would like to know more…”
- “Association of the Lord’s Body with the needs of our bodies, and of his Blood with the needs of our souls…”
- “Twelve priests celebrated the traditional Mass for the first time during…”
- Archd. BOSTON – @bostoncatholic – Seminary and Cathedral
- WDTPRS – 19th Ordinary Sunday: trusting audacity and harrowing consolation
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: Decorum
At the newish blog LAJ, Shawn Tribe has a good post about boldness in regard to some traditional vesture and other items of yore.
In the 60s Paul VI abolished quite a lot of good things. That was a mistake. However, … Continue reading
From a reader…
According to Canon 932 s1: The eucharistic celebration is to be carried out in a sacred place unless in a particular case necessity requires otherwise; in such a case the celebration must be done in a decent place.
What … Continue reading
I firmly believe that occasions require decorum: the effect or result that we desire conditions the choices we make in outward expression. We adapt and are “apt” for the situation. Language and gestures can and should be adjusted according to the circumstances. … Continue reading
From a reader….
I’m curious about your reaction to a part of the Mass I’m calling the “Rite of Thanking”. While it seems that it is especially common with bishops at most liturgies they celebrate, it also happens at times with … Continue reading
From a reader…
At our Sunday Masses there is instantaneous applause at the end of the recessional hymn. Is this OK? I have sent many emails to the parish priest and he agreed that this is not correct but he is … Continue reading
So I’m reading my email. A reader sent the text of a Wall Street Journal piece (they have an evil paywall) entitled “Free Our Churches From the Ugly and Stupid“.
“This hath potential”, quoth I, and in did I delve.
So … Continue reading
Since the day I was ordained, I have celebrated both forms of the Roman Rite, the Novus Ordo and the TLM. When I am called upon to say the Novus Ordo, I jump up and help out. After all, I am … Continue reading
From a reader…
How does one become a knight of the Papal Supreme Order of Our Lord Jesus Christ?
This is the highest papal honor that can be given to a layman.
There are a handful of “papal honors” that are bestowed on lay … Continue reading
What is it like in your parish church before and after Mass? Is it still, recollected, decorous? It is agitated, busy, undignified? Is it silent? Is it noisy?
Can we separate our identity as Catholics from our decorum in our churches?
Yesterday I … Continue reading
This Sunday’s Collect is rich. The ancient author was skilled. The translators of the current ICEL version blew it.
We will see where they went wrong and then drill into a pair of words leading us back to the 3rd century.
Our … Continue reading
UPDATE 13 AUG:
We have hit our initial goal!
I distributed a few of the birettas to the guys yesterday and they were pretty chuffed.
I should have some thank you notes pretty soon.
“But Father! But Father!”, you liberals are squeaking, “What… what … Continue reading
From a reader…
I was wondering if any secular/diocesan priest is allowed to wear a black mozzetta as part of their choir dress? I have seen pictures of some priests wearing a black mozzetta such as the Canons Regular of St. … Continue reading
Bp. Tobin’s Tough Love: Hirsute flabmeisters… mature women with skimpy clothes… hyperactive gum-chewing kids checking their iPhones
His Excellency Most Reverend Thomas J. Tobin, Bishop of Providence has sobering reminders for his flock. HERE
No doubt His Excellency is addressing himself only to the Catholics of Providence. So, if you are not in that diocese pay no attention. My emphases and comments:
The … Continue reading
Will Pope Francis be the only able-bodied diocesan bishop NOT to celebrate Mass of the Last Supper with priests and people?
From the marvelous Fr. Hunwicke. I had to smile. HERE
Why don’t people swap roles occasionally? Fr Lombardi could go riding around in airliners making remarks to journalists; then the Holy Father could do the News Conferences explaining what the … Continue reading