Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- mabvet: The rise of exorcisms was brought up by a caller to the Rush Limbaugh show today! Mark Steyn was spot on in his commentary .
- Malta: My friend Charles Coulombe wrote a book, “His tory of the Popes,R 21; it will be interestin g what Catholic historians think of Francis 100 years from now.
- Ave Maria: Mercy divorced from truth is not mercy at all. An interestin g article at https://ww w.catholic americanth inker.com/ Nice-Inclu sive-Catho lics.html this is about how being̶ 1;nic...
- Chaswjd: Perhaps the Holy Father was thinking of his Chesterton : ” “Every heresy is a truth taught out of proportion .” (Chesterto n in the Daily News, June 26, 1909.)
- Tom Kaye: If anyone would like to have a clearer picture of what Pope Paul VI thought about the Novus Ordo Mass read: “Pau l VI, Epistle Cum te to Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre, 11 October 1976:...
- quo vado: Completed requiremen ts for my seminary applicatio n last week. I hope to get a response early next month. Ora pro nobis!
- Mike: The idols we should fear are the ideologies that would wrest power from God, Who is Truth, and cede it to the autonomous Self or the authoritar ian pagan State. We must pray that the See of...
- defenderofTruth: A good friend of mine opined that it is possible that by “mov ing left” ;, His Holiness is forcing the Church to move right. By making statements such as this, he is...
- yatzer: Husband 217;s knee surgery is finally scheduled.
- Titus: You were at the Getty last week! I was at the Getty last week. I didn’ ;t see you, although it is a big place and I was only there part of one afternoon. I did see some Carmelites from...
- Quanah: I don’ t like the way Pope Francis phrased it, but I identify with what I think he is meaning. When I had my conversion of heart, I was enamored by the faith. A few months later I...
- Charivari Rob: Tumultuous , eventful, and sometimes not good – but still good things happening in the midst of it. – reconnecti ng with old friends when we haven̵ 7;t seen each...
- Kathleen10: He has made himself perfectly clear. That’ ;s the problem. The other problem is we have not wanted to take his words at face value and we should.
- Toan: I’d interpret Pope Francis 217; comments in light of his recent encyclical ’s comments on gnosticism . He is drawing upon a temptation that knowledgea ble, traditiona l Catho...
- JohnE: I am not sure what Pope Francis is doing. Hopefully in the long run it will be helpful, but I think what the Church and the world needs right now is clear, faithful teaching.
- jst5000: I think that we must be careful not to fall into the temptation of making idols of certain abstract mercies. They can be comfortabl e idols, always within easy reach; they require no...
- teomatteo: “ 230; healing closeness of the word and of the sacraments of Jesus.R 21; If the pope said this might he consider this ‘tru th’ and might he then ‘...
- Unwilling: Post-Enlig htenment thought is fundamenta lly skeptical. First of this or that truth, gradually of anything as truth. The vocable “tru th” has at most a relative value. A...
- L.: This kind of self-immol ating “tea ching̶ 1; that comes from Rome and from my own diocese makes me think of science fiction stories in which a Dr. Frankenste in-type character creates...
- arga: I am confused. Fr. Z writes “Geo rge, as the tale goes, was one of those soldier saints who, when he refused to recant his Christian Faith, was put to death perhaps in AD 303 during the...
- JonPatrick: My oldest son recently received word that his rare form of cancer is in remission and he might be able to stop taking the medication s for it. He is also finishing out an internship in...
- JonPatrick: Meanwhile in England it is now considered racist by some to fly the flag of St. George. As the country lurches towards total atheism and cultural Marxism let us ask St. George to...
- jim123: I think that Francis, in his Holy Chrism Mass sermon, is saying something aimed in a different direction that the one that this blog post suggests. Francis gives the Gospel example of...
- arcillajohn: This Past Sunday I Attended my first Missa Cantata. This was my second encounter with the Tridentine Mass, and I had been longing to attend since I discovered the TLM. Luckily, the...
- raven31: Two of my college roommates happen to live in Omaha and St. Louis, and I recently made plans to visit each of them this summer to attend both the FSSP and ICKSP ordination s in those two...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Know the truth and the truth will make you … an idolator?
- Your Good News
- “the worthy deeds and prayers of thy blessed martyr George”
- WDTPRS 3rd Sunday after Easter (TLM): Be distinguished by your profession of Christ!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Felix Natalis Dies Roma!
- My View For Awhile: Mezzogiorno Edition
- 20 April 2007 – Msgr. Richard Schuler – RIP
- 19 April 2005: Benedict XVI elected
- “And Paul VI wept”. More fascinating notes about the Pope and the liturgical reform.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about the Church as “field hospital”. Brutal horror, heroic wonder.
- WDTPRS: 4th Sunday of Easter (2002MR) – Mighty humble Shepherd, humble mighty flock
- HUGE Fr. Z kudos to a reader who wrote to bishops about the important Apostolic Pardon
- My View For A While: Mystery City
- Connection of home-schooling and entering seminary
- ASK FATHER: “My 4 year old insists on praying in Latin.” Latin resources for young children?
- A bishop, black vestments and refreshing commonsense!
- ASK FATHER: Priest Mumbles Words of Absolution. Fr. Z says: FATHERS! Stop being JACKASSES and do it right!
- Shamefaced self-promotion with warm thanks to benefactors
- “If it’s just a symbol, then to hell with it!” Wherein a Lutheran tells it as it is and then Fr. Z rants a lot.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Good Shepherd – AUDIO
- ASK FATHER: Communion twice in a day. But is Communion under both species already twice?
- ASK FATHER: Catholic betrothal rite, ceremony
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday after Easter (TLM): joy, devastation and rising
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Two VERY different DAUGHTERS!
- I’ve decided. I’m for arming teachers and the Rule of Law
- Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal opine on latest developments
- 28 April – PONTIFICAL TLM at Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
- St. Michael the Extremely Cool Samurai Archangel, defend us in battle!
- “O my God, make them like a wheel; * and as stubble before the wind.” Consolation from a Psalm.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Category Archives: Dogs and Fleas
Even though the culture wars are over and a new morning has dawned, I want you all to click HERE and read carefully a piece at the National Catholic Register by Anne Carey about the “Nuns on the Bus”.
The Nuns … Continue reading
I find myself in complete agreement with Phyllis Zagano.
[Those sounds you are hearing are jaws hitting desks, mugs of Mystic Monk coffee dropping to the floor with a crash and splash, astonished readers sliding off chairs in a swoon.]
Yes, you … Continue reading
One of our frequent commentators here sent me this (appetite spoiling) photo with this:
The Right Stuff? (Remember the scene with the 7 astronauts in space suits?
Get a load of these photos of “clergy” arriving for vote on wymen bishops:
From the … Continue reading
One of the dumbest things I’ve read for a while: Kelly Kultala, pro-abortion Dem candidate in Kansas
First, there is no such thing as a pro-choice Catholic.
Catholics are not free to choose what they are going to believe and what they are going to reject when the teachings are defined by the Church.
The much-vaunted Second Vatican Council … Continue reading
Via Todd Starnes:
Medical staff warned: Keep your mouths shut about illegal immigrants or face arrest
A government-contracted security force threatened to arrest doctors and nurses if they divulged any information about the contagion threat at a refugee camp housing illegal alien … Continue reading
Earlier today I saw a Tweet from Sr. Simone Campbell’s group NETWORK, the Nuns On The Bus crowd, along with the LCWR types… the Magisterium of Nuns, who place themselves over and against the teaching office of Bishops.
Are Sr. Simone … Continue reading
It’s like watch a sink hole expand.
Presbyterian Pastors Can Preside at Gay Marriages
DETROIT — The largest Presbyterian denomination in the U.S. will allow pastors to preside at gay weddings in states that recognize same-sex marriage.
The Presbyterian General Assembly voted … Continue reading
Pro-abortion catholics and proponents of same-sex unions have odd company.
From Life News:
Satanists seek religious exemption to pro-life laws, call gay unions their ‘sacrament’
DETROIT, MI, June 10, 2014 (LifeSiteNews.com) – Whenever the American people try to curtail abortion or maintain marriage laws, … Continue reading
Sr. Jeannine Gramick has signed a letter to Pres. Obama asking that abortion be expanded throughout the world. PDF of the letter HERE. Guardian story HERE.
Sr. Gramick is, as you may recall, one of those immortalized in my post NUNS GONE … Continue reading
The Left and entities that push evil agendas will increasingly use bullying tactics and threats to silence all opposition, especially concerning Faith and morals.
Planned Parenthood ad shows up prominently in Google search for ‘Crisis Pregnancy Center’
MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA, May … Continue reading