Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Marc in Eugene: If there is or was a concession of the Apostolic Benedictio n to the local ordinaries three times in the year, might it not be reasonable to suppose that, given the unusual circum...
- Gaetano: I am confident to a level of a scientific certitude that never in Fr. MartinR 17;s 11 years of religious formation was the concept of reparation for the sins of others ever mention...
- Dismas: Well, it appears that this hospital is of vast importance to certain parties. Why, I don’ t know.
- Charles E Flynn: Sooner or later, ocean-dwel ling plastic straws will make their appearance in this scandal.
- Mallu Jack: Bp. Nickless has previously been praised on this blog for: 1. saying that we must “exorcise” the so-called “spirit of Vatican II” 2. his “OUT STANDING 8221; (caps of Fr Z)...
- mburn16: “The se letters were spun by the NY Times to say that Benedict was criticizin g Francis’ critics, but I don’t see anything to indicate that. We didn’t get the full texts, so I guess...
- Fr. Reader: @chantgirt . Yes. “ 221;Fr. Martin, SJ said that he “cannot imagine a more homophobic action by Catholics, short of beating up an LGBT person in the church parking lot.”...
- exNOAAman: “ 230;still as sharp as a scalpel 230;” ; Excellent.
- Charles E Flynn: The date of one of the letters has been overlooked by many journalist s. From https://ww w.catholic culture.or g/commenta ry/otn.cfm ?id=1306 , by Phil Lawler: As we do so, howev...
- Dismas: I really try to no be a complete cynic, but the cynical side of me is batting a thousand these days.
- chantgirl: The rainbow flag has become, not just a symbol of people with a certain sexual preference , but a symbol of active homosexual ity, which is one of the sins crying to Heaven for vengean...
- Clayton: I wish we heard more often from Benedict. For myself, in these times, I feel a certain comfort just knowing he is still around.
- MrsMacD: mbarry I found this book, ‘The Mass Explained, ’ extremely good for teaching my children and I learned a thing or three http://www .ccwatersh ed.org/kid s/
- richiedel: Aside from the biblical illiteracy I commented about prior, it should be noted how much Fr. Martin undermines Vatican II and its teachings on the common priesthood of the baptized and...
- chantgirl: Just when I thought it was safe to come out from under my tin foil hat, lol. Benedict is sending out some mixed signals. I’d like to read the rest of the letters for context. These...
- maternalView: Even though there are canonical penalties for disobeying a Cardinal does that automatica lly mean the disobedien ce was a sin? [The fact that Cupich is a Cardinal is irrelevant . He...
- MrsMacD: @Elizabeth D It’s true but I think it’s pretty cool that God has made it so that the guilty person relys on the victimR 17;s prayers and sacrifices for his own salvati...
- Benedict Joseph: I’ve searched high and low but am unable to find an explanatio n as to who and why these letters were made available to the media. These were private communicat ions. Either the...
- Dismas: @Fr. Z: Don’ t forget the carbon footprint!
- Kathleen10: I also just read about the Sistine Chapel Choir debacle. I remember reading a few years ago how the Vatican was selling seats at performanc es for so many thousands of dollars, which...
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: Re: re-educati on of conservati ve a/o traditiona l priests: It’s too bad someone with contacts with The Agency doesn̵ 7;t reach out to set up a “tra ining...
- ChrisP: Economic ignoramii unfit to oversee a 50c raffle. But the bit about “you th education& #8221; and the silencio over funds obviously raises justified suspicions right now.
- Joy65: Does he not realize that this is “ASK ED OF US” NOT forced on us. No one in the Church is being forced to fast or sacrifice for sins they did not commit. We are asked to undert...
- scotus: Might it have been a mistake of the priest to have announced the burning beforehand ? Might it have been better for him just to have burned it without telling anybody? Was anything useful...
- jaykay: AA Cunningham : apparently they discussed the Irish ChurchR 17;s abuse crisis (as described by the totally impartial Irish Times). Bono is a Protestant , evangelica l. I wonder who...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: If in letters Benedict XVI imparts still the Apostolic Blessing…
- A story of spectacular complexity, involving shady people, huge money, interlocking directorates, vast loans, and the Papal Foundation.
- One Mad Mom spanks James Martin, LGBTSJ – UPDATED
- Bishop R. Walker Nickless of Sioux City on #ViganoTestimony
- Archd. Chicago parish burns a “rainbow flag”
- And now a word from our sponsor…
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Vatican I: The Council and the Making of the Ultramontane Church
- The upcoming Synod’s “working document”
- ASK FATHER: Should we pray for or against the success of the Synod?
- What passes for important today.
- YOU are other people. It’s always someone else… until it’s YOU.
- ASK FATHER: Are we are in the End Times?
- Fr. Murray’s Open Letter to ex-Card. McCarrick. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Cri de Coeur about lost innocence and The Present Crisis
- Card. Müller: “the real danger to today’s humanity is the greenhouse gases of sin and the global warming of unbelief”
- Thoughts on fatherhood and how priestly identity is undercut by short terms as pastors
- More Jesuit idiocy – BUT WAIT! There’s more!
- Henry Sire: “Archbishop Viganò is now living in fear of his life, quite literally.”
- ASK FATHER: Can a Dominican Tertiary priest use the Dominican Rite?
- Lay Rage in Chicago, Mary Eberstadt takes names, and Fr. Z rants
- There are more than one “lavender mafia”
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS – 17th Sunday after Pentecost: diabolical contagion
- We are all, I think, striving to understand how we got to the point where we are.
- ASK FATHER: What should we do for Ember Days?
- UPDATED – ACTION ITEM! 10 year old’s fundraiser for a Pregnancy Care Center
- At end of youth meeting, no Apostolic Benediction from Francis.
- Francis to clergy, seminarians, religion in Palermo: “Clericalism… one of the most difficult perversions”
- UPDATE: 15 Sept: Seven Sorrows of Mary, Mater Dolorosa, Queen of Martyrs – Queen of Clergy
- @BishopZubik announces traditional practices for @DioPitt
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: Emanations from Penumbras
UPDATE 16 SEPT:
Go to the bottom of the post for the RESULTS!
Originally Published on: Sep 13, 2018
Everyone, here is a good news note!
I received this message from a 10 year old which was forwarded by his mother. Xavier is one of the … Continue reading
QUAERITUR: If something is in the Catechism, do I have to give in, believe it even though it is different from what the Catechism taught before?
I am getting questions from lots people about Pope Francis’ move to change the Church’s doctrine concerning capital punishment.
If this is in the Catechism, do I have to give in and believe it even though this is different from what … Continue reading
Here is an audio offering in which I read the post, here-under. Hopefully this will allow more people to absorb a few of my poor thoughts on this important anniversary. Let’s start with a taste of the text… there’s some … Continue reading
The war on the teaching of Humanae vitae continued today with an offering at ultra-liberal Commonweal by Massimo “Beans” Faggioli. Beans spends a lot of time on Twitter throwing out one inflammatory tweet after another as click bait.
Faggioli takes his … Continue reading
Some time ago I asked you to pray during oral arguments before the SCOTUS concerning a 1st Amendment case from California, which tried to force pregnancy centers to provide abortion information. HERE In other words, they tried to force pro-life … Continue reading
This is about par for the Jesuit course.
Jesuit Priest Tells Catholics to Fight Abortion by Electing ‘Pro-Choice Democrats’
Writing for Religion News Service (RNS)— Father Reese, the former editor-in-chief of [Jesuit] America Magazine—says that “pro-lifers must consider voting for candidates, … Continue reading
A lay reader today alerted me to an opinion cartoon in The Sunday Independent in Ireland. That sad, earthly-enslaved nation repealed by referendum the 8th amendment to their Constitution, which protected the right to life of the unborn. The Constitution, … Continue reading
The Irish constitution begins in the name of the Most Holy Trinity, stating:
“In the name of the Most Holy Trinity, from Whom is all authority and to Whom, as our final end, all actions both of men and States must … Continue reading
There is a plentiful lack of clarity these days. How refreshing it is when we hear or read something that is faithful, true and clear.
I offer for your attention a commencement address given at Thomas Aquinas College in California by … Continue reading
IMPORTANT from @HeartbeatIntl – abortion pill reversal method rescues babies without bad effects, physicians network
This is VERY important.
The pro-life organization Heartbeat International has announced that they are now able to help women rapidly access a method to reverse – without bad effects – an in-process chemical abortion.
Imagine a woman who has taken the first … Continue reading
While I was in L.A. I met with some pro-life heavy hitters in Arizona. I was told of a recent debate in the Arizona House about a bill – SB1394 – touching on pro-life issues.
I asked for some information to … Continue reading
UPDATE 20 March:
Link to the transcript of the oral arguments for the good guys. HERE
Originally Published on: Mar 19, 2018
Can the government force Christian pro-life centers to advertise taxpayer-funded abortions? California says they can.
That’s the essential question the US Supreme Court will … Continue reading
Canonist Ed Peters has picked up on something Fr. Longenecker has done. I’ll add my voice.
From Peters’ excelleny canon law blog In The Light Of The Law.
About those Bloody 14 [allow me slightly to change the format, for effect]
Collins … Continue reading
LifeSite has posted the text of Pres. Trump’s address to the March for Life.
The March for Life is a movement born out of love: you love your families; you love your neighbors; you love our nation; and you love every … Continue reading