Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- hwriggles4: During my discernmen t process, I picked up an applicatio n for one Archdioces e. The applicatio n was lengthy (about 20 pages) and one question was “how do you relate to women?...
- Imrahil: The thing is… quite apart from the actual experience I do not doubt a pastor is bound to get when, well, “pas torizing 8221; families, they may know moral theology, dogma...
- Joy65: Absolutely praying for Father P. Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be
- Gerard Plourde: Is it possible that the experience that Cardinal Farrell is referring to is the area of financial instabilit y which is the primary cause of discord and failure in marriages? I say...
- The Masked Chicken: Dear jhayes, Yes, I know about the confusion between Mary Magdeline as prostitute vs. Mary Magdeline as having seven demons. My original draft made that distinctio n in a...
- Robert_Caritas: An FSSP priests hears confession s at Chartres, and I think is the pastor of a nearby parish. I’ve run into him every time I’ve been there, so there’s a good chance it’s him. The...
- Sue in soCal: Marriage is a sacrament and a vocation and should be treated as such: Seriously. Preparatio n for this calling is woefully inadequate throughout the Church.
- JSzczuka: TLM: Father gave an excellent homily today, drawing from the collect, epistle, and of course the Gospel. He first talked about how beautiful the Latin was in the collect, not perfec...
- MrsMacD: Our sermon today was on how to distinguis h between a temptation and an interior sin, that if we do not take pleasure in the temptation that for certain we did not sin and that if we are...
- Joy65: bobbird says: 15 July 2018 at 11:54 AM “Let us add about sexual self-contr ol needed among — mostly — the men AFTER marriage, if the couple is being instructed in Humanae Vitae and...
- Simon_GNR: Strange that apple bobbing should be associated with this feast day – apples won’ t be ripe and ready for picking for a couple of months yet. It’s been hot and sunny...
- tho: After hearing confession s for a number of years, and listening to the problems of their parishione rs for the same amount of time, no one is better qualified to dispense advice than a good...
- jhayes: Chicken wrote Mary Magdeline was neither married nor a virgin To uphold her good name:: The only thing we know from Scripture about Mary Magdalene& #8217;s personal life is that, at one...
- ex seaxe: Nothing startling. OF so OT15B, Amos 7:12-15, Ps 84/83, Ephesians 1:3-14, Mark 6:7-13. Emphsised, as he often does, that we are all called to evangelise , and that this is mainly by...
- GrumpyYoungMan: Visiting a parish in Archdioces e of Denver. God’ s graces aren’ ;t magic – they need cooperatio n from us. For healing to take place, it requires from us a change...
- richiedel: Amerikaner , I, too, considered for a moment, whether this may be about setting the stage for married priests. But upon further considerat ion, I didn’ ;t think it would be worth...
- frjim4321: The prelate does not seem to understand how counseling works, including pastoral counseling . It’s hard to imagine how such an ignorant person can ascend to such a high office, but...
- The Masked Chicken: Dear Tony, You wrote: “So, why is it, then, more special that a woman remain a virgin and consecrate her virginal state to God, than that a man do so? Why is it that the US...
- Julia_Augusta: Married priests, that’s where the Cardinal is going, which, we the faithful, will oppose. How are we going to oppose him and people like him? Every time they make a scandal...
- bobbird: Let us add about sexual self-contr ol needed among — mostly — the men AFTER marriage, if the couple is being instructed in Humanae Vitae and NFP. Who understand s this better...
- MrsMacD: Amongst my family there are six of us who are married, one to be married soon. We all agree that the best marriage prep any of us received was directly from a good priest that took the...
- Antonin: Men and women do think differentl y and there are different expectatio ns in a marriage between the two partners. The Cardinal’s statement certainly has a grain of truth for sure. Priests...
- APX: Joy, We had a priest who took marriage prep quite seriously as well. He had an extensive reading list for couples (that actually required reading since they were expected to discuss the...
- Joy65: Our Priest has gone above and beyond to help couples in our Parish prepare for the Sacrament of Matrimony. He meets with them NUMEROUS times before the wedding. He takes marriages in his...
- APX: The US Associatio n of Consecrate d Virgins just issued another statement regarding Sec. 88 that clarifies and addresses much of what others have brought up in this discussion : https:/...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ACTION ITEM! Urgent prayer request for a priest
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- “St Swithin’s day if thou be fair…”
- What priests can – with credibility – do in marriage preparation
- French stones and soutanes
- US Association of Consecrated Virgins condemns confusing new rules from Holy See
- What could possibly go wrong?
- ¡Hagan lío! in Poland. Young, and raising hell…. correction… razing Hell.
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: We can stray off the path to the right or to the left.
- 12 July: Sts. Louis Martin and Marie-Azélie Guérin
- Does “Beans” @MassimoFaggioli undermine ‘Humanae vitae’?
- ASK FATHER: Mom baptized my child in the bathtub
- INTERESTING UPDATE – Pope Francis phones Gianni Vattimo, philosopher of “weak thought”
- SSPX ELECTS NEW SUPERIOR GENERAL – UPDATED
- Ex ore infantium perfecisti laudem
- ASK FATHER: Should a priest have a day off?
- ASK FATHER: Traditional Latin Mass in a Protestant church?
- Madame Defarge (@MichaelSWinters) is upset that people don’t find the Terror – applied to real people today – very funny.
- A little bright spot for your day, a discrete packet of energy for your mind.
- Fr. Perrone: The greatest weapon within the grasp of every Catholic is the keeping of a well-ordered soul
- “We have to learn how to be Roman priests again.” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Left freaks out over SCOTUS pick. Hilarious tweets ensue.
- New FSSP Superior General elected, SSPX is gathered, CSJC … we shall see.
- A mosque at the site of the Battle of Tours!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- 07/07/07 – Summorum Pontificum 11 years on – WORK HARDER!
- ASK FATHER: It’s getting hard to find suitable godparents
- Progress of the Vatican Cricket Team
- WDTPRS – 14th Ordinary Sunday: from dust to freedom
- 6 July 1535: St. Thomas More’s ‘dies natalis’
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Category Archives: Emanations from Penumbras
The war on the teaching of Humanae vitae continued today with an offering at ultra-liberal Commonweal by Massimo “Beans” Faggioli. Beans spends a lot of time on Twitter throwing out one inflammatory tweet after another as click bait.
Faggioli takes his … Continue reading
Some time ago I asked you to pray during oral arguments before the SCOTUS concerning a 1st Amendment case from California, which tried to force pregnancy centers to provide abortion information. HERE In other words, they tried to force pro-life … Continue reading
This is about par for the Jesuit course.
Jesuit Priest Tells Catholics to Fight Abortion by Electing ‘Pro-Choice Democrats’
Writing for Religion News Service (RNS)— Father Reese, the former editor-in-chief of [Jesuit] America Magazine—says that “pro-lifers must consider voting for candidates, … Continue reading
A lay reader today alerted me to an opinion cartoon in The Sunday Independent in Ireland. That sad, earthly-enslaved nation repealed by referendum the 8th amendment to their Constitution, which protected the right to life of the unborn. The Constitution, … Continue reading
The Irish constitution begins in the name of the Most Holy Trinity, stating:
“In the name of the Most Holy Trinity, from Whom is all authority and to Whom, as our final end, all actions both of men and States must … Continue reading
There is a plentiful lack of clarity these days. How refreshing it is when we hear or read something that is faithful, true and clear.
I offer for your attention a commencement address given at Thomas Aquinas College in California by … Continue reading
IMPORTANT from @HeartbeatIntl – abortion pill reversal method rescues babies without bad effects, physicians network
This is VERY important.
The pro-life organization Heartbeat International has announced that they are now able to help women rapidly access a method to reverse – without bad effects – an in-process chemical abortion.
Imagine a woman who has taken the first … Continue reading
While I was in L.A. I met with some pro-life heavy hitters in Arizona. I was told of a recent debate in the Arizona House about a bill – SB1394 – touching on pro-life issues.
I asked for some information to … Continue reading
UPDATE 20 March:
Link to the transcript of the oral arguments for the good guys. HERE
Originally Published on: Mar 19, 2018
Can the government force Christian pro-life centers to advertise taxpayer-funded abortions? California says they can.
That’s the essential question the US Supreme Court will … Continue reading
Canonist Ed Peters has picked up on something Fr. Longenecker has done. I’ll add my voice.
From Peters’ excelleny canon law blog In The Light Of The Law.
About those Bloody 14 [allow me slightly to change the format, for effect]
Collins … Continue reading
LifeSite has posted the text of Pres. Trump’s address to the March for Life.
The March for Life is a movement born out of love: you love your families; you love your neighbors; you love our nation; and you love every … Continue reading
Today before the rally on the mall we grabbed some sandwiches at a nearby cafe and headed out.
We parked ourselves near the speakers stand, but also near to a flag from my native place.
It was great to hear Pres. … Continue reading
I’m off to the nation’s capital, where at least one good thing will be accomplished on Friday: the 2018 March For Life.
Among other events, I will probably attend the TLM at St. Mary’s and the customary meet up afterward across … Continue reading
CNA reports that those who participate in the March For Life in Washington DC can gain a plenary indulgence.
Participating in the March for Life? There’s an indulgence for that.
Washington D.C., Jan 7, 2018 / 04:01 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- Catholics participating … Continue reading
Here’s a jocular head exercise for the readership.
Today I saw a video (sent by an old staffer of the COL Forum) about drone warfare.
It’s terrifying. Watch this, please, and try not to freak out about the potential misuse of this … Continue reading