SHOPPING ONLINE? Christmas is not very far away…
Please, come here first! Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
US Hardcover - HERE
UK Hardcover - HERE
US Paperback - HERE
UK Paperback - not yet
- If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 RSV
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
- Kerry said Father Z., lately the looming sense of an “U...
- excalibur said In 2012 Catholics went 50 – 48 Obama over Ro...
- Thomas Sweeney said The SSPX, FSSP and the ICTK among others are doing...
- LadyMedievalist said 23rd Sunday after Pentecost. Father preached on th...
- Joseph-Mary said Yes, Anthony Esolen is marvelous! And for the lay...
- scotus said Where is ‘here’? Is it just the USA? I...
- Tom A. said Francis is stacking the deck of cardinals to ensur...
- Absit invidia said He couldn’t be any more clearer of the reali...
- CaliCatholicGuy said 30th Sunday in Ordinary time. Father challenged u...
- Tom A. said Few, I would wager. Very few.
- slainewe said Really well done election-motivated sermon emphasi...
- Semper Gumby said Filipino Catholic wrote: “‘Tis a might...
- djc said Anthony Esolen is one of the main reasons I subscr...
- Semper Gumby said Venerator: I also did not fully understand Clarke...
- KateD said I would suspect that there were multiple non-align...
- Sandy said The title of the article says it all, Father, spir...
- KateD said Regarding Russia: there’s an interview of P...
- KatieL56 said I was on a site the other day in which a poster la...
- robtbrown said A providential juxtaposition of Soap with Absolver...
- George @ Convert Journal said SCANDAL is the biggest problem caused by cultural...
- capchoirgirl said Thank you for this, Father. Excellent reading and...
- hwriggles4 said One point that is not mentioned enough is that the...
- Chris Rawlings said The notion of a smaller, more spiritually fortifie...
- Filipino Catholic said @Semper Gumby ‘Tis a mighty tide we struggle...
- Joseph-Mary said Archbishop most likely will not have that cardinal...
- msmsem said “whether Catholicism should be a smaller and...
- Kerry said Is Athanasius the patron Saint of Balsamic vinegar...
- scotus said Fact Number One: We are all sinners. Okay, some ma...
- hwriggles4 said Like Former Altar Boy, my brother and I were Altar...
- Charles E Flynn said An image of Mary punching the devil in the nose: A...
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
Without you, there is no blog.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Art by D Burkart
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting. — C. S. Lewis
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Find a Quality Realtor. Support the Gospel of Life!
If you, or someone you know, needs to buy or sell a house, office, or any kind of domestic or commercial property anywhere in the world, call Real Estate For Life on 1-877-LIFE-US1. They connect you with an expert agent with a proven track-record from a local franchised broker or strong independent. When the sale is completed, the agent gives a portion of their fee to Real Estate For Life as a referral fee. Real Estate For Life gives 80% of that fee to one of the pro-life organizations they work with: a house with a value of $150,000 means $1000 goes to the pro-life organization. It doesn't cost you anything.
And for your cybersecurity…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- The war is here.
- Archbp. Chaput: a smaller Church of fewer believers rather than compromise orthodoxy
- Spiritual Super Powers: Monks of Norcia and Card. Sarah
- WDTPRS – 23rd Sunday after Pentecost: SNIP!
- ASK FATHER: Is a priest allowed to do the readings, or must a lay person do them?
- Wimple by Wimple in New Jersey
- Christmas isn’t too far away
- Contentions between liturgists and musicians: What to do?
- Fr. Murray on Hillary’s anti-Catholic distortions at Al Smith Dinner
- More Wikileaks emails about lib machinations tied to the Clinton campaign
- WDTPRS – 30th Sunday of Ordinary Time: “E ‘n la sua volontade…”
- UPDATE on Reginald Foster’s ‘Ossa Latinitatis Sola’ – Request for old Ludi Domestici
- Pius XI is back on the job after a nice vacation
- Archbp. Naumann on VP candidate and ‘c’atholic quisling Tim Kaine (D-VA)
- Venice Days 2-3: Bones, fabrics and views
- Benedict XVI commented again on turning toward the ‘East’ for liturgical worship
- ASK FATHER: Can the bishop forbid the cassock?
- REVIEW: Robert Harris – Conclave
- Bp. Morlino on marriage, sex craziness, the election, and “eschatological awareness”
- Venice – Day 1-2: Of Mark and Mud-bugs
- ASK FATHER: Why are good priests so afraid of “stirring the pot”?
- Archbp. Sample on ‘Amoris laetitia’: conscience isn’t a law unto itself
- Florence – Day 5-7: Red meat and musea
- Hillary: ”I admire Margaret Sanger enormously… there are a lot of lessons we can learn from her”
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ASK FATHER: Man regularly takes Hosts home from Mass
- Fr. Sirico on the Clinton’s campaign view of the Church
- WDTPRS – 22nd Sunday after Pentecost: The Battle For The Mass
- WDTPRS – 29th Ordinary Sunday: “bear with me” – Pregnancy and Glory
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Category Archives: Emanations from Penumbras
I direct the readership’s attention to The Cardinal Newman Society‘s report A More Scandalous Relationship: Catholic Colleges and Planned Parenthood The CNS has a feed on my side bar. Watch it daily. Also, at Crisis see the article on Catholic Colleges and Planned Parenthood: … Continue reading
Reading the news around the Catholic world you would think that prelates and priests and lay faithful alike are going absolutely loony about climate change. Since Laudato si’ it seems as if those who read selectively have been rushing lemming-like to … Continue reading
Planned Parenthood, which makes money from selling dead baby parts, has a Clergy Advocacy Board, which released a statement defending the abattoir. I tried to find the names of the board members, but came up with this when I clinked … Continue reading
Early Monday evening, the U.S. Senate will vote on S. 1881, to prohibit taxpayer funding of big biz abortion Planned Parenthood. From Life News: While most members of the Senate are strongly pro-life and support yanking taxpayer funding from the … Continue reading
Remember… Planned Parenthood was initiated to get rid of undesirables. Everyone… take a moment to go to Crisis and read Fr. George Rutler’s new offering. HERE A sample… Christ cannot be psychoanalyzed because he is perfect. It would be like seeking … Continue reading
Never has the label “Big Business Abortion” been more appropriate for Planned Parenthood. HERE Another video is out, showing a PP exec negotiating the price of body parts of babies. Planned Parenthood receives million of YOUR tax dollars. A new … Continue reading
I had posted a link to 11 things that you won’t see reported in the MSM about the new encyclical Laudato si‘. Now we have a video clip of White House spokesman Josh Ernest saying that he hadn’t seen the pro-life … Continue reading
I just watched the video stream of The Extraordinary Ordinary, His Excellency Most Reverend Robert C. Morlino, Bishop of Madison, offering the opening prayer of the Wisconsin Senate on a day when the Senate voted to ban abortion after 20 weeks. The prayer … Continue reading
Fathers and seminarians, pay attention! From a reader… The Pope is sending out special priests who can absolve abortion. Does this mean that priests are giving absolution for something they cannot? Is the absolution then invalid? What does that mean for reception of … Continue reading
Nancy “the Theologian” Pelosi… words fail! From LifeSite: Nancy Pelosi: Gay ‘marriage’ is ‘consistent’ with Catholic teaching WASHINGTON, D.C., June 2, 2015 (LifeSiteNews.com) — House Minority Leader Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-CA, says that same-sex “marriage” is perfectly “consistent” with Catholic … Continue reading
I really like this Wisconsin sheriff. From LifeSite: Black Sheriff Says if Black Lives Mattered They’d Protest at Abortion Clinics CNN’s Poppy Harlow interviewed Milwaukee Sheriff David Clarke about the recent protests that some in the Black Community have sparked … Continue reading
I have an ACTION ITEM for you good readers. You have been generous to causes I have mentioned in the past. Sometimes people have a hard time finding causes to support. This is one of them that I admire. I have … Continue reading
ACTION ITEM! POLL ALERT! Wisconsin Judge strikes down law requiring abortion docs to have hospital privileges
At the Milwaukee Wisconsin Journal Sentinel there is a poll about a recent decision of a federal judge (an Obama appointee, probably raised Catholic HERE) to strike down a law requiring that doctors performing abortions (aka infanticide) also have admitting privileges … Continue reading
One problem we face constantly now is that abortion advocates, big-business abortion and pro-abortion catholics have successfully framed abortion as a “women’s” issue. It isn’t. It is a human rights issue. There is a piece at the site Pregnancy Help News which reminded … Continue reading